Release debut

>Release debut
>Alan Vega is 39 and Martin Rev is 30

is it ever too late b?

Probably not but most people are doing shit like having a family and climbing the corporate office in their 30s.

>is it ever too late b?
yes. pre-internet you had time for a good album to digest well with critics and serious music fans.
with the internet you get a quick 5mins and then they hop on the next trend.

>climbing the corporate office
>late 30's

show me corporate managers of big companies in their early 20's

thats especially strange for punk icons

>Suicide
>good

late 20s is a better time

LCD Soundsystem dude was 32 when he dropped his first shit

age is just a number.
only pop music cares about that shit.

to what extent are music and image intertwined? I feel like i feel the music so much more knowing it is written by a 25 yr old, if it's deep, etc.

If you haven't written anything by 25 its probably too late.

thats what i mean, pop music.
stuff thats being sold to you, then image matters. sex and youth sells... all that stuff.
how many pop stars can you think of in the last say 20 years that didnt have some sort of image? theres fucking none.
now think about the amount of bands or artists youve heard where you didnt know or cared what they looked like... is there many?

You could always write for pop musicians like Max Martin. There will always be a market for that.

>There will always be a market for that.
not really. only a small group dominate the top 40 charts and every now and then a few new ppl take place. but thats for alternative and r&b types.

grew up in the internet age so i've always known what they looked like.

Listening to an album an being charmed by its mystery is a thing of the past desu

this but only if you literally haven't made any music. if you've been fucking around and are talented but just autistic or crippled by doubt for some reason you can make it later i.e. james murphy

It is good, you should try it

not for me. i purposefully listen to new music this way. i dont wanna know anything about them.
a lot of my favourite music is made by people i dont care what they look like, how old they are or where they came from.
and im 27 so its no different for you and me, i grew up with it the net too. i just dont play the same way.

kim gordon hadnt played an instrument until she joined sonic youth when she was 27/28.

the exact moment i realized how much image mattered across all genres was when '2' by Mac came out and i knew nothing about this dude and thought it was really generic and unimpressive. then i started stumbling across vids of Mac and saw he was funny as shit and had a god tier likability for an entertainer. suddenly i loved his music.

you have no chance as recording artist without some sort of attractive image. doesn't have to be classically attractive but you have to have some intriguing visual component to what you are doing otherwise you're fucked.

yes i can see youre right about being fucked without an attractive image.
now, does that have anything to do with age?
if the image youre selling is sex... which sells... and that is your point, youre making product to sell... then yes, age matters.
if you can come up with some other interesting image that has nothing to do with sex, and is about selling art, not a product... then age really doesnt matter.

yeah but you have to count all the pitchfork stuff as pop music too, and any artist who relies on photo shoots, videos, image, social media presence etc. as an important means of expression

pitchfork makes music?

>now think about the amount of bands or artists youve heard where you didnt know or cared what they looked like... is there many?
I think Tortoise are a good example. I could still meet them and have no idea who they are.

Klaus Nomi didn't have any exposure at all until he was 35

>now think about the amount of bands or artists youve heard where you didnt know or cared what they looked like... is there many?
majority of my fav artists i really don't know much about them. maybe stop listening to pop music user?

>I'm being dense on purpose!
k

>you have no chance as recording artist without some sort of attractive image. doesn't have to be classically attractive but you have to have some intriguing visual component to what you are doing otherwise you're fucked.
wait how is mac demarco attractive or visual though? he does photo shoots and has a visual presence of some sort, but he just looks like a random dirty guy

>literally a girl
>literally there for aesthetic/marketing

Klaus Nomi was classically trained, that's different

also, Alan Vega lied about his age, claiming he was 10 years younger, all until his final days

but then there is Joe Casey of Protomartyr whose band broke through when he was 35

he is essentially the chad king of immediate post-hipster normcore indie lads. his look and vibe are both maxed in that particular niche.

all i know is if i didn't know Mark was 24 when he wrote these words, and what he was going through at that age, the song wouldn't have stood out nearly as much. It would've been a bit boring actually. Plus just looking at his face...

youtube.com/watch?v=4BMZ7wfLyno

>but then there is Joe Casey of Protomartyr whose band broke through when he was 35

holy shit i didn't know casey was that old. that gives me hope desu

>Klaus Nomi was classically trained, that's different
I don't think he was. I got the impression that he sang as a hobby in Germany and took limited voice lessons once he moved to New York, by which point he was already 30.

also Mark Sandman and Dave Wyndorf were 40-ish when they got popular

WE'RE ALL FRANKIES
WE'RE ALL LYING IN HELL

You have about till you're 40 in today's world.

Junkie babble over a drum machine? And at 39? Good god, how did they do accomplish an insane feat like that?

nice mu/mor

It's absolutely better than anything you've listened to in a long time

> implying the vocalist of MBV was only there for marketing purposes

nigga, u retarded

>implying

It's never too late. However, it is notable that most people lay the foundations of their career in their 20s. There are a few reasons: for one, when you're younger, you have more energy. You're more willing to struggle. For another, your brain is still wiring itself, and by the time you're 30 it's pretty much set, so learning slows WAY down. Another factor is that people see potential in young people since they have their whole careers ahead of them, so people are more willing to invest in young people.

As for the late bloomers, all of them did lay some foundations for their later music careers early on. Charles Bradley had been trying to make it since the 1960s; he just didn't break through until 40 years later. Alan Vega was already an established poet before starting Suicide, and what he did in Suicide was still basically performance poetry. Basically the same can be said of Leonard Cohen. Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices had been practicing as a garage rock hobby since his early 20s, he just didn't break through until his 30s. Marina Diamandis may have not broken through until late, but she did start taking music seriously at 18, even though it took her a few years to start recording.