It's kinda embarrassing this was considered good taste back in the day and now this would be considered basic taste on...

It's kinda embarrassing this was considered good taste back in the day and now this would be considered basic taste on RYM.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P7B-AlKTdGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TqseYiGA0us
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't think embarrassing is the right word

>rites of spring
lol kurt listened to emo

i don't get it whats embarrasing? its kurdt's top 50 pre-internet days. everyone here listens to the same 12 or so albums and has the world of music at their fingertips

Lotta good shit on that list but he made Nirvana. What went wrong?

>gang of four
>stooges
>flipper
>swans

how do you listen to all this good shit and still make terrible music

Nirvana made some good songs and even a good album

This are all highly praised and highly regarded (for good reasons) albums on RYM, what the fuck are you saying

He meant that it's odd how that taste would be really obscure for the time it was written down, but on the internet it's nothing special because everyone knows those albums now

nirvana is inoffensive radio rock

youtube.com/watch?v=P7B-AlKTdGQ

if kurt hadn't blown his dome off the 4th album would've been one of the best of all time

literally REM with a fuzzbox

whats not to like

are you trying to prove me wrong because this is 100% inoffensive radio rock

wrong. everybody on here discusses the same 15 because that's the intersection of everybody's taste

>youtube.com/watch?v=P7B-AlKTdGQ
you're being pretentious and you know it

How the fuck does someone who grew up in the 70s/80s and lives in the 90s have more interesting taste in music than most of Sup Forums?

This is proof that this website is garbage fire of musical taste

This, Sup Forums is total garbage.

how is this any different than shit like three days grace or three doors down? the feedback and the monotone lyric delivery is the only thing here that someone might see as strange

literally everything on kurt’s list gets discussed here pretty frequently

>how is this any different than shit like three days grace or three doors down?
Did those bands come out in 1993?

youtube.com/watch?v=TqseYiGA0us

And it's getting shat on by people who couldn't play one cord. Let alone write one good song. Talentless morons shitting people on people who do shit they can't do. Thats why mu is trash. And yes I'm still here and no i can't play a cord on anything.

no but who cares what it sounded like at the time? swans and flipper were pretty extreme for their time but since their music wasn’t shit it’s still extreme for today’s standards
wow what an edgy and cool song

>but who cares what it sounded like at the time?
Context
>swans and flipper were pretty extreme for their time but since their music wasn’t shit
Why not?
>wow what an edgy and cool song
I know right?

nice try but i have about 10 years experience in music

i can also spell the word “chord” correctly

>why not
because it was original and not a watered down version of all their favorite artists’ music

Listening to music for 10 years isn't what user was referencing
>because it was original
Not really. Punk and drone had been done before.

name one band that sounds like anything off of cop

God don't be such an insecure bitch, i ain't calling you out just most of mu. I ain't wrong.

>complains about talentless fags
>is a talentless fag

wew

Velvet Underground

Also
>Whaaaa I hear a melody, so it's watered down
kek

I'm removed from my ego and this situation. I'm just pointing out the state of mu. Bunch of angry losers complaining and complaining. This ain't about me or you shorty x.

Context really doesn't matter, if the music is no longer enjoyable or fresh then listening to it thinking "this must have been great in 1993" is fucking dumb

I think Aerosmith has become underrated 2bh I think they need a rediscovery, I really love their 70s output and its real rock not like when they went corporate in the 90s.

Rocks is a really underlooked album at this time, if you look at who it influenced and yet how few talk about it today its quite shocking.

Not the point
(also who the fuck is discussing Marine Girls, Frogs, Half Japanese, Saccharin Trust, The Knack (lol), LiLiput...the list could go on, on here?)

It's that this website homogenizes everyone's musical taste to some extent by having such a forced consensus on what "good" music is.

Gravitating people toward a similar taste when they're probably missing out on a lot of music that while not 10/10 masterpieces would resonate with them more than something like Talk Talk or Anco does.

Its good shit. Your just a bitchy insufferable negative kinda guy.

>Context really doesn't matter
Incorrect way to judge art
>if the music is no longer enjoyable
Goalpost shifting.
>or fresh
Fresh is relative. It was fresh at the time, wasn't it?

R.E.M. were actually good tho

>incorrect way to judge art
Okay guy

the velvet underground is nothing like swans, let alone cop

are you ok?

And Nirvana sound nothing like Swans or Flipper or Three Doors Down or Three Days Grace.

All I'm saying is that you can like whatever you want, I don't give a shit but the argument that something is good because it was mind blowing or revolutionary at the time is dumb

you can hear plenty of flipper in that one shitty song you keep posting
it’s like limpdick cuck flipper but it’s there

I’ll stop posting now because I didn’t realize you were disabled and I feel bad for being mean

>Tourettes
>milk it
>I hate myself and want to die
>endless nameless
>radio friendly unit shifter
>even in your youth demo
>if you must
>paper cuts
>Floyd the barber
I could name 10 more songs but the point is they're not one note and generic

>All I'm saying is that you can like whatever you want
No shit. Did it take a Swans album for you to figure that out?
>you can hear plenty of flipper in that one shitty song you keep posting
Name 30 flipper songs that sound exactly like that

>I'll stop posting now because I'm out of arguments
kek

What kind of fucking autist considers this "basic taste"? Jesus christ, most real musicians aren't even as knowledgeable as a lot of these RYM losers who treat the obscurity and depth of their taste as a measure of their personal worth. Everyone should like some weird shit, at least if they listen to enough music, but I can't for the life of me understand why these people prize knowledge of albums and artists so highly above knowledge and skill with actual music or aesthetic theory - you don't see students of literature treating their peers like idiots when they find out they haven't read asshole poet x who published a few independent compilations in 1982.
Music fans can be so fucking gay - probably because there's literally no barrier of entry to our hobby and we resent the fact that dumb hipsters can listen to trout mask replica just as easily as we can, and if they took classical music lessons as a kid they'll probably be able to give more intimidatingly assured criticism after a single listen than an untrained but obsessive music nerd who's heard it twenty times. It's all fucking pop music, it's not embarrassing to have a healthy relationship (ie. not what RYM users are doing) with it

>No shit. Did it take a Swans album for you to figure that out?
Someone is insecure

You're retarded.

What do you mean?

>marine girls
hell yeah

Floyd the barber reminds me of why hide off cop

>Floyd the barber
Not Floyd the barber, paper cuts

How so?

all shit
(You)
you’re mom is retarded

please do not compare why hide to any of nirvana’s angsty childrens music ever again thanks

You're right. Nirvana is way above that gloomy edgy garbage.

Mazzy Star is breddy gud but they never released a self titled so wtf kurt

yeah

What if those bands were inspired by Nirvana and it was considered "extreme" back in 1993?