There were actually 6000 greeks who participated along with spartans in the battle of Thermopylae

>there were actually 6000 greeks who participated along with spartans in the battle of Thermopylae
>they were still easily crushed within 2 days by the Persian Army
Fucking kek

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/stream/PersianFireTomHolland/Persian Fire - Tom Holland#page/n349/mode/2up
wps.pearsoncustom.com/wps/media/objects/2426/2484749/chap_assets/bookshelf/herodotus.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_against_Nabis
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>believing wikipedia rather than a documentary

kek

Gee I wonder what happened to Xerxes army after that

wtf i hate zach snyder and also history now

That kill/death ratio though

>Average size of a Spartan Warrior was 5'4"-5'5" and 120-130lbs
300 Kids

That was the average size of a Spartan Warrior baby climbing out of their mothers uterus.

The invasion continued for another year in which the Persian burnt Athens to the ground until the Greeks achieved naval supremacy and forced Xerxes to retreat?

>burnt Athens to the ground

Try again bruh

>Athens thus fell; the small number of Athenians who had barricaded themselves on the Acropolis were eventually defeated, and Xerxes then ordered Athens to be torched.[129]

>wikipedia
How do I know some Greek didn't just edit that shit?

What? Would you like to cite some sources that disagree?

>How do you know the Greeks didn't edit wikipedia to say that Persians burnt down their modern capital city?

lad

>Xerxes monsters were the size of an average Sup Forums poster

You do know that Athens has been extensively excavated right? They've found the pits where the rubble of the old Archaic age ruins were buried in, along with walls built after using rubble.

Nigga get a book and show me

Movie based on comicbook, not history

Citation needed

>archive.org/stream/PersianFireTomHolland/Persian Fire - Tom Holland#page/n349/mode/2up

Here you go bub.

Any book on the Greek-Persian Wars? Try The Greek Wars: The Failure of Persia.

Fucking prove it then. Where's the evidence? And don't bother giving me a source of some nobody saying they found it. Nothing personal kid.

It makes sense. People were smaller back then.

>Where's the evidence?
>don't bother giving me a source

So you're a completely worthless troll. On a real website you would be permanently banned for this shit, with your identity reported to the FBI for quick termination, but alas this is 2016 Sup Forums.

Gonna check it out, thanks my dude.

He provided a source and didn't use wikipedia. You can too.

Here's also Herodotus' Histories in pdf form. Generally considered to be the first work of Western history and the primary source for these events.

wps.pearsoncustom.com/wps/media/objects/2426/2484749/chap_assets/bookshelf/herodotus.pdf

The more you learn about that battle the less interesting the Spartans get.

No wonder they got their ass kicked by Macedon and Rome.

Most overrated warrior culture of all time right next to the Vikings.

Why the fuck do I need to cite a source for such a well known event, when you have not provided a fucking shred of evidence against it and not given a single source which contradicts, and have preemptively declared you will not accept any physical evidence?

But if you want an actual account, here is one of many, Arrian's:

>He burnt down the Persian palace, though Parmenio advised him to preserve it, for many reasons, and especially because it was not well to destroy what was now his own property, and because the men of Asia would not by this course of action be induced to come over to him, thinking that he himself had decided not to retain the rule of Asia, but only to conquer it and depart. But Alexander said that he wished to take vengeance on the Persians, in retaliation for their deeds in the invasion of Greece, when they razed Athens to the ground and burnt down the temples. He also desired to punish the Persians for all the other injuries they had done the Greeks. But
Alexander does not seem to me to have acted on this occasion with prudence j nor do I think that this was any retributive penalty at all on the ancient Persians.

>and Rome.
Sparta wasn't even an actual military power by the time of Roman influence on Greece? Did they actually participate in any of the battles Rome fought to subdue them? I know afterwards they were literally a tourist trap for Romans.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_against_Nabis

The point wasn't whether they won or lost the battle. They chose to stay at the gates knowing they were going to die. It was a sacrifice they made for what they believed in. The heroic deed wasn't the fighting, it was standing in the face of annihilation and not bending the knee to a superior force which at the time had conquered a large part of the known world.

>wikipedia
>more Greek shilling

Why would they edit it to say they lost?

nice fake facts cuck.

as a member of the modern day inheritor of the spartan order, I invite you to go fuck yourself.

>Greek shilling
>In an article about how Rome by that point was dictating policy in Greece and whoever it backed in war was guaranteed to be the winner, until ultimately they just annexed the whole place
Why haven't you been banned yet?

underrated

this isn't your safe space playground. If you want that then fuck off back to some other shit site.

Is this a joke? The worthless fuck who literally can't see a simple wikipedia article without crying "greek shill!" (which ONCE AGAIN you have not even ATTEMPTED to justify) is the one crying "safe space"?

>Roman Republic fanboy state
>as a member of the modern day inheritor of the spartan order, I invite you to go fuck yourself.

That uhh macabre

Kek. Every single one of the former marines I know that bring up their being a marine is a fucking POG who overplays their accomplishments. Congratulations faggot. You're literally hated by the other portion of the marines that actually deserve respect.

B-b-b-but every marine a rifleman!

I love marines, the whole shit about how the carbine is just an extension of the pistol was literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard it was awesome

Wait, Sparta was real?

Wait hold on Persia was real?

Haha no nigga Iran is the real country Persia is like fantasy such as Babylon

>mfw

Athens burnt but quite soon afterward Xerxes realized between that and the battle at the hotgates he'd managed to piss every single greek off and unite under a common goal of removing persian

>yfw Rome actually existed
>yfw Caesar was real

People weren't smaller per definition, it had more to do with nutrition. Soldiers were probably taller than the average citizen and physically well trained.

Didnt he try to make a second invasion afterwards? I remember reading about his fleet getting destroyed by storms at which point he allegedly went out to the shore and whipped the waves.

>Babby's first history lesson

>was

No user. It IS real. Go to Greece and see their great works which still stand to this very day.

lol jk they never built shit.

Yeah and Sparta allied with the Persians but that doesn't make for such a good film.

I can't remember everything but yeah a greek storm did a pretty bang up job of wrecking a good bit of his fleet and taking a large chunk of his army with it.

As for the battle for the Hotgates itself, the Persians had the numbers game but the greeks had the advantage of where they chose to hold their ground + just being much better outfitted for combat than the persians.

One it became apparent the persians were going to surround em on the 3rd day (think it was) a large amount of the greeks left.
The Spartans and around 1000ish others of various greeks city states staying behind with em and even with being so massively outnumbered it still took most of the day before the Persians actually won.

Leonidas was killed pretty quick into that final day but from what I remember reading it basically just pissed off the greeks still fighting with reports of ones at various points into the battle just breaking out into berserker swaths of destruction.

Kinda hard to separate exaggerations from fact but you have to remember most of the persian soldiers were working with shit like wicker shields compared to many greeks wooden/wooden and broze covered armor/shields

Ever hear of the History Channel?

I don't understand how rednecks searching for old mining equipment and what not is related to this?

That was when his first bridge got destroyed by a storm while crossing into Greece.

>birdmen in mountains
>hyperborea
>snake people

herodotus was based

>forgetting the giant ants that can run faster than camels and poop gold.

They didn't eat a ton of food stuffed with hormones and whatnot, that's for sure. Napoleon was actually considered to be above-average height at his time.

Spartans didn't do shit because they were all about personal ability, not working together. Even the film shows this. Phalanxing was effort.

Rome won shit because you could have dumbfuck soldiers who could be drilled into helping each other.

Hell, the fucking Spartans (and other Greeks) had entire fucking culture around "you personally fight well because it will impress the guy fighting next to you and he'll want to suck your dick and get fucked in the ass". It was all about making you fight harder and better.

Rome did it differently. You helped the guy to your sides. 1v1 against a Spartan, basically any Roman soldier would lose. But shit works because unity and shizzle.

Oh they did an excellent piece on Leonidus and the 300

Formations are for losers

Pfft. When you can kill 80,000 men and lose only 400, then call it for 'losers'.

do you think the greeks in real life were that hot?

Going of a movie, that was based on a comic , that was based of a book, that was based of another book, that was loosely based on an actual event. yep seems factual