Why don't people like this movie? The plot is interesting and compelling...

Why don't people like this movie? The plot is interesting and compelling, the characters' actions and reactions feel authentic which makes the movie as a whole more immersive and realistic, it's got some great set pieces like the bodies in the river, the train coming through on fire. It's a great movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The great scenes are fucking great. Unfortunately the bad scenes are fucking annoying. I still love it.

>that part where the singer from green day ran off to fight the aliens with the military

>aliens destroying fucking tanks
>"Hey, I'd better run up this hill after the aliens"

But what are the bad scenes? I like them all.

I mean people say that the son is an annoying little bitch but that's his character, and it's a perfectly believable character,

Explain, what are these 'bad scenes'?
I'm not OP, but I love this movie, and don't find any bad scenes within it.

>tfw no good adaptation of War of the Worlds that's faithful to the book

Seeing those martian tripods stride across the victorian countryside would be so much more effective than modern day america

BWOOOOOHHHHHMMMMMM

Because of the awful fucking child. In every scene she needs to scream, be carried, and just generally be completely fucking useless and annoying. The one time in the entire movie she walks on her own it's to run outside into the night towards an alien death machine for absolutely no reason.

Rachel singlehandedly ruined this movie.

The early scenes with the daughter were kinda annoying i guess

The ending?

>In every scene she needs to scream, be carried, and just generally be completely fucking useless and annoying

That's what kids do.

Because there was no war.

Would you prefer Tom Cruise fought his way onto the alien mothership with an assault rifle in one harm and his daughter on the other so that he could save the day? That's not the point of the story.

i enjoyed it because it was more of a alien survival movie than a generic invasion movie. good atmosphere too.

Kids are fully capable of not being a complete load, because they're ten years old and not literal babies.

Rachel is complete shit. If you're utterly convinced that kids only exist to be awful ear rape devices that absolutely nobody likes then don't include them in the movie.

>tries arguing Rachel wasn't realistic
>posts Stranger Things

Hahaha

There's a world of differecnce between plucky tweens solving a mystery and an 8 year old facing the end of mankindand

It's been a while since I've seen the 2005 WOTW but isn't it established the Daughter has some anxiety disorder?

It's implied, the son and the daughter have a well-rehearsed mental exercise specifically to bring her down from her panic attack as if she suffers them pretty regularly

She's 10. There's a world of difference there too.

And I stand by my statement: Rachel is a fucking horrible character that brought the movie down.
You have a "realistic" child with anxiety who does nothing but scream, be a retard and irritate you for the entire story. This is, presumably, a character you're supposed to care about.

>dude it's realistic that means it's good lmao
if I wanted to hear a kid scream for 2 hours I'd just visit the nearest park
kids in movies are already annoying per se, make them scream all the time and don't be surprised if people dislike your movie

>why don't people like this movie.

It's boring as fuck, and it's about an alien invasion.

It insults the intelligence.

Aliens from space come up from under the ground.

They completely ignore all the themes that made the novel good.

Instead of killing the aliens, the viruses only make them weaken their shields. And then the brave U.S. Army is what actually saves the day in the end. Strong. Army Strong.

Everybody's happy and fine in the end, including the kid who wanted to join the Army in the middle of a battle it was losing, and ran directly into an explosion.

The whole thing was pretty fucking retarded and I have a low opinion of people who liked it.

>It insults the intelligence.

>Aliens from space come up from under the ground.
The aliens beamed from space into the machines that were left under the ground years ago

>Instead of killing the aliens, the viruses only make them weaken their shields

No, it does kill them. They see a dead one shortly before they see the weakened one with the birds on it. Hitting it with the javelins only made it die quicker.

>They completely ignore all the themes that made the novel good.

Like what?

BECAUSE DAKOTA FANNING CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF

Child actors are a gamble, but child actors with an ego are intolerable

>they beamed them underground where they buried the robots years ago.

Yes, yes. They happened to bury all their deathrobots in the exact spot where humans would build all their major cities thousands of years later. Also they invaded the planet because they wanted to take the resources, so first they plant the robots. Then they just wait around thousands of years for humans to build the cities that they can destroy, then they actually do invade and destroy the cities.

Did you spend any time at all thinking about how stupid all this shit is?

>No it does kill them

There's half assed Morgan Freeman exposition, mention germs. Then it shows the aliens stumbling around throwing up like they're drunk. Then the U.S. Army runs out of nowhere, somehow magically not being destroyed, and shoots the aliens with an RPG, which finally finishes them off. Hurray America.

The futility of man and how we're just a little speck of insignificant dirt in an infinite, heartless universe.

In the Spielberg film everything's great, and there's a happy ending, and even grandma and grandpa are just fine, and humanity totally kicks as and matters and is strong. Army Strong.

>hey happened to bury all their deathrobots in the exact spot where humans would build all their major cities thousands of years later.

No, they just buried them all over the place

>they invaded the planet because they wanted to take the resources

Why do you think that?

>There's half assed Morgan Freeman exposition, mention germs. Then it shows the aliens stumbling around throwing up like they're drunk. Then the U.S. Army runs out of nowhere, somehow magically not being destroyed, and shoots the aliens with an RPG, which finally finishes them off. Hurray America.

No, there's literally a dead tripod, leaning over, smashed into a building. Dead as a doornail. Dead as a dodo. Not-alive. Tom Cruise crumples up a bit of dead stuff and says "They're dying".

>the Spielberg film everything's great, and there's a happy ending

At the end of the novel he's nursed back to health, society is reasserting itself and his wife has survived and is waiting for him at the door when he goes home.

>hurr humanity is nuthin da universe is biiiig
am I the only one tired of this shit?

Unless you have writers who actually know what they're doing. Case in point.

I maintain that the kitchen scene was so great because every single person in the audience could relate to that kind of nightmare scenario in one way or another. It's the old primal fears you'd had as a kid, of monsters in the closet or under the bed or bumping around in the dark, now made very real. It also played on the fact that the kids were, in fact, kids. They made mistakes but also pulled shit that no adult would probably try and got really fucking lucky. They weren't the load because the writers actually had them do shit that made sense for their characters.

>End of the world. It's the apocalypse!
>Let's spend the last half of the movie in this basement
>tfw blowing majority of budget on Cruise

Also Grant hates computers and kids. In the end, it was a kid handling a computer that restored the park.

I never understood the buried tripods idea. It seems like such an unnecessary and confusing change. Was it supposed to represent an updated concept? Terrorist insurgencies?

Also, that wasn't the theme of the novel. It was supposed to be a reflection of European colonization and their domination of "lesser" folk. How people swooped in with ridiculously advanced technology and a complete disdain for the native cultures they wanted to supplant with their own. WotW was an illustration of how hopeless such a fight was and how it would feel to be on the losing side.

But he spends half the story it's based on in a basement

I lost my virginity after I saw WOTW in theaters

I was expecting The WAR of the WORLDS, not The Diary of Anne Frank.

>the dialogue "not from Europe" exchange
top lel

GREAT GREAT MOVIE

but yes, there are some shit parts in it,
like the whole military scene,

the entire ending.

>american "humor"

B-but how will Muricans identify with the situation if it isn't taking place in their own country?

i really enjoyed it up until the ending. pretty anticlimactic.

The moral of Jurassic Park is literally 'kids aren't actually shit', so it'd make sense the kids aren't shit. Something the sequels amusingly, and frustratingly forgot about.

This.
His son is a whiny emo bitch. Him running off made no sense and was completely contrived. As was him somehow surviving. Tom Cruise's character arc was someone pointless too and felt very shoehorned in. Or maybe that's just his acting.

The Tim Robbins stuff was tense but his character was so crazy and stupid it became annoying.

The ending is horribly anti-climatic. It's unfortunately baked into the story because everyone already knows how it ends, and the resolution has nothing to do with the actions of any of the characters.

>the ferry scene didn't have the USS Thunderchild trying to blast the tripods

youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM