Only 70 million

>only 70 million

>lukewarm reviews
>bad trailers
>none of the original cast
>set in America even though the distinct Britishness is the best part of HP

>Doctor Strange opened with 80

Didn't people get a wizard movie just a week and a half ago? Why the heck are they releasing another so close?

It this a stand alone film, somewhat like the first Harry Potter at least? Or is it complete sequel bait that ends on a cliff hanger ?

Deciding if to go see it or not

>watching a movie with that retarted title

Part one of five.

>watching movies ever

the only time i sit and focus for 90 minutes is driving or at lectures

Oh wow

youre shitting me

Needs over 6 gorillion just to break even

HAHAHA

Dr. Strange > Harry Potter

Marvel is unstoppable

just saw it. There refreshingly little sequel hook. There is no cliffhanger or teaser to speak of. Absolutely every conflict was resolved.

>Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was made on a budget of $180 million, with an additional $150 million spent on marketing.

Uh oh.

>bad movies do well

>good movies don't

hmmm... makes me think

HP has strong international, plus amazing DvD sales. It'll do good, just not as good as WB needs after the DCEU crashed.

Gotta expand that HP universe, goy.

We've already got a Quidditch Through the Ages trilogy in the works, and five Tales from Beetle & the Bard films! (Of course, the fifth film will be in two parts)

70 mil would be good if this wasn't tied to Harry Potter.

How much did the most recent Potter films make on openings?

The whole movie is basically a backdoor pilot for for a Dumbledore/Grindelwald series.

>The whole movie is basically a backdoor pilot for for a Dumbledore/Grindelwald series

This is what people wanted in the first place. They should have just made that.

I'd watch that. This movie sucked.

It really depends on the budget.

If it is, then I'll definitely be watching them all.

oh come on, there is definitely a little bit of a sequel hook at the end with the reveal of THE OTHER ACTOR

JK Rowling can just crank out this garbage forever and the YA crowd (that means 12-year old level minds) will buy it every time. Smart lady, more power to her.

well, from the cliche aware viewer, yes he is there. However I suspended disbelief a little bit and and appreciate there is no reason in universe to believe he will inevitably escape. All the protoganists feel pretty safe at the end of the movie.

It's still bad news

>half blood prince
>250 million

the fuck happened there?!?

Why the hell did Half Blood Prince cost so damn much?

>literally no big stars
>2nd most expensive budget

What the fuck is up with Half Blood's budget? Why is it twice as high as everything else?

The progression makes a bit more sense when you remember Hallows was filmed as one movie, then split and padded out with Harry and Hermoine in a tent sequences

Azkaban is the only one that's LEGIT good, even by non-kiddy movie standards. It's amazing.

Deathly Hallows still cost $100 million more than Order of the Phoenix, that is a HUGE jump

It was the best book.

Goblet was Fire was maybe top 3 book, but the movie sucked dick.

Needed to be longer.

>Dumbledore/Grindelwald
>backdoor pilot
>backdoor

This post is underrated as fuck.

why couldn't he direct them all ;_;

I'm a little dissapointed with the worldbuidling in this film. The UK setting was very, very british at all levels so I was hoping to see how American sensibilities were mirrored in the US wizarding community. Besides the beatiful art deco backdrop and snazzy clothes, the government acts very british. I mean a fucking wand registry? By comparison full auto firearms were completely unrestriced until the NFA was signed in 1934, after the prohibition era when this takes place. There was a black US president when racism was more than a meme, even FDR was comfortable calling blacks niggers in public.

In UK potterverse the ministry of magic had atleast some superficial integration with the UK government whereas in the US version competing organization based in New York and missing key features of the US government, like trial by jury. Small things like having no wizards at customs (why aren't they using the floo network?) or in the police force make things seem disconnected.

The worst part is, every single US wizard was either a government employee, or a criminal. There are no exceptions to this, not even an extra. For as much content as they managed to put into the film, they created such a stunted world that I wound up pretty disappointed. No wizard shops, markets, businesses, travelers, commuters, no nothing. Besides the implied wizard newspaper there is no mention of what ordinary magicians do at all.

He wouldn't've made Children of Men, he would have been too busy doing Harry Potter. Having him and Guillermo go back and forth would work though.

>Besides the implied wizard newspaper there is no mention of what ordinary magicians do at all.
Best we got is that wizards can't marry muggles or have children with them or whatever in America.

>2nd most expensive budget

Well keep in mind films are more expensive now and the last HP film came out 5 years ago. I have no idea why HBP was so expensive though. That was the worst one

>The worst part is, every single US wizard was either a government employee, or a criminal

So just like British wizards?

Maybe during Voldemort's control over Hogwarts.

Let's be honest Rowling had some great ideas but the world building wasn't so strong. Job prospects looked extremely limited

meant to add that caveat but I was starting to drone on. Wizard Britain isn't the most detailed fictional setting, but one of the first places HP get's taken to is Diagon alley. The weasely home is visited, there's the knight's bus, hogsmeade.

Yep, what worldbuilding I remember from the original is probably nostalgia goggles.

Was Newt supposed to be autistic?

grindelwald literally did nothing wrong.

Except be a homosexual

It looks absolutely boring from seeing the trailers. I am not interested in the slightest and I am a big Harry Potter fan.

Just make Harry Potter 8 already

>an additional $150 million spent on marketing.
Where is the marketing? Did they make lots of fast food toys? I haven't seen any of those or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

I've also only seen a couple posters at bus stops otherwise that's it.

They did and it was fucking horrible

He was expelled from Hogwarts so.

Will they ever release a recording of the play online? How else are we meant to watch it?

>a movie with characters that no one knows anything about is supposed to be a hit

Isn't that most movies?

No. Hollywood makes sure to only make movies nowadays that has characters that everyone is familiar with

In the 80s maybe. Not anymore, not anymore.

I miss HOWEVER meme.

I wished I cared about the fat guy, but I ultimately didn't.

Johnny Depp is going to be in the sequel so will that scare away the female audience (since people believe he is a woman beater)?

>Fantastic Beasts and where to find them
>Fantastic Beasts and where to find them again
>Fantastic Beasts and where to still find them
What will be the title for the final 2?

>it's a pretend 70m isn't a good opening thread

I hope it flops, god I hope these movies flop. We sent Washington a message electing trump, now it's time we send Hollywood a message, STOP MAKING THESE SHITTY MOVIES. This is probably the worst year for movies.

>what world building I remember was probably nostalgia goggles

If you're like me and read them as a kid it was just your imagination running wild and filling in the blanks. Not exactly nostalgia goggles, just something that is frowned upon in today's society where every little detail must be fully explained. Rowling was still shit at world building though

we want the fujo crowd

Pretty sure Harry/Malfoy is more popular with fujos than Dumbledore/Grindelwald.

Their time is over.
Gotta keep it fresh.
I guess it helps that Dumbledore is canon gay.

Grindelwald doesn't get properly caught until 20 years after by Dumbledore.

>frequently avoids eye contact
>shuffly walk
>doesn't carry conversations
>is more open with animals than humans
>outright states people find him annoying

Yes.

>they could've hit $80m or even $90m if they called it Harry Potter: Fantastic Beasts

WB is probably regretting that title.

>Fantastic Beasts: A Harry Potter Story

>The Harry Potter Chronicles: Fantastic Beasts: Life or Death

Jesus Christ. We're all going to drown in a wave of capeshit, sequels, reboots and "exapnsive universes" aren't we?

>Fantastic Beasts and Where We Found Them
>Fantastic Beast5

>HP franchise
>Massive advertising campaign
>JK personally handling the script
>First of 5 new movies
>Shit tons of magic
>Eddie Redmayne leading a cast of big names

Delbonnel and Yates wanted to make kino

I don't give a shit about Harry Plopper, but I am going to see this with friends who do for less than five bucks on bargain Tuesday.

>>only 70 million

That's actually great, it's about the same Dr Strange made with less marketing

>less marketing

do DCucks understand that people posting about it on Sup Forums isn't marketing?

>DCucks

Jesus christ you guys are obsessed, Trump won and Suicide Squad made more money than Dr. Strange just get over it and move on already

is it possible to rename subjects of a thread. Just a suggestion to change this to the /disney/ general with you obsessive twats

That's pretty shitty for a HP spin-off.

I don't think people even go to the movies anymore. It's been almost 2 years since I've seen a movie at the cinema, I mean why go see it when a web rip will be out in less than 2 weeks so you can watch in from the comfort of your own home?

A-Andrea?

>drinking the heard koolaid

Wew

>the distinct Britishness
lol

>at 100% positive critic rating from 27 critics on day of release
>75% now and everyone agrees it's shit
Really makes me ponder....

>tfw the credits rolled after seeing The Deathly Hallows Part 2

im still sad just remembering what it felt like knowing a series I grew up with was over

I can guarantee it's Disney shills this obsessed with box-office numbers. They see it as a war.

Disney shill starter pack:
>Rotten Tomatoes
>box office
>memeaccounting
>evansposting + DCuckposting (even when not related to the DCEU)

Beware of the Mouse menace

in 10 years people will be saying this about the MCU

>Just make Harry Potter 8 already

Why? It was complete trash

It was a good idea for WB to press for a play instead of a book

that way they could judge fan reaction to it and know whether it was a good idea to move on with a film production.

its Disney vs WB, WB already cucked themselves by moving BvS off May to March. They weren't going to go full Reek and movie their magic shit cause Dis moved Strange from summer to november.

>Harry Potter and the The Fantastic Beats and where to find them: Chapter 1 out of 5: The Beginning: A Harry Potter Film. (Original Story by J.K.Rowling)

I just couldn't believe the actual levels of fanfic tier shite in that script

>I hate my Dad so let's save Cedric
>Hermione is minister for magic
>Alternate dark future timeline
>Voldemort fucked Bellatrix and had a super secret daughter

And the worst thing is this is canon now. It will never go away

I'm sorry that your children's book series was ruined.

>children are the audience of stage plays
It's garbage regardless of the original source material.