Is rap finally old enough to have "dad rap" be a thing?

For the first time in rap music I feel disenfranchised with how the genre is progressing; the appeal of memerap and soundcloud rappers that the youth today like is lost on me. I don't get the arguments that "it's supposed to sound low effort and shit".

Have we entered a stage now that stuff like Nas, ATCQ, Biggie and 2Pac have become "dad rap"? Much like Floyd, Sabbath and the Who are dad rock

Other urls found in this thread:

djbooth.net/news/entry/2016-09-20-lil-yachty-90s-rappers-cant-accept-change
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>dad rap
Pretty sure that's been already been dubbed "golden age hip hop"

but "golden age of rock" literally is dadrock so it's the same with hip-hop

Rap can't have the Dad prefix.

Suburban whites grow out of it by around 18. Black kids don't have fathers nor will stay around to be fathers when they grow up, so they can't introduce the rap of their youth to their sons.

No Sup Forums, it's just a sad fact. But the older black men (35-50) I know who are fathers listen to soul, funk, etc. I think they grow out of it the same way as whites do.

>"it's supposed to sound low effort and shit".

thats just idiots trying to justify it. more a case of lack of talent than aesthetic.

This. They don't have any idea how to mix and master and typically overdrive the bass to distortion level. Probably sounds good a shit earbuds and laptop speakers, which the majority of their fanbase will be listening on anyway.

It's lost on you, OP, because it really is terrible.

Rap has existed since the 80s, you fucking idiot.
There's been dad rap for decades.

That's literally what he was saying

but the point still stands that it DOES have a following specifically with teenagers.

The same argument can be made when grunge became popular; "why are the guitar solos just droned, what happened to solo's like Slash and Van Helen?" "Why are the singers all mumbling why don't they have the vocal range of Axl and Vince Neil?"

I don't believe this but a comparison is somewhat viable.we are entering a new stage of hip hop that resonates with younger people and disillusions older fans of the genre

its called old head shit

joe budden-core

that comparison is so off target.

just because mechanically something is inferior does that mean it's less graspable as art?

yep, i think rap is entering a phase similar to where rock was in the 80s.

underground rap is a bunch of 16 year old toddlers on soundcloud yelling into $50 mics (whereas the 80s were about 16 year old babies yelling on obscure fanzine's mixtapes holding $50 guitars), artists disregard the history of the genre, eschew technical ability and production quality, and everyone gives off the air of being depressed.

the only big difference im noting is that instead of ending up on indie labels, rap is still massively profitable (i mean, rock was profitable in the 80s in the form of glam and hair metal but otherwise it was still a pretty new-wavey time) so these kids end up on bigger labels.

in 1984 any band called red social distortion brigade that played fast and yelled about politics could get a tape out on an indie label and get a positive review on maximumrocknroll. same shit applies now to soundcloud rappers.

>hip hop that resonates with younger people

Most younger people at the adolescent stage will always choose the new thing over the old, just to define themselves from a past generation. Yes, you have your wrong generation types, but for the most part, teens want to form their own identities around modern trends they can better relate to (I think this SoundCloud shit resonates because of how the rappers integrate social media into their work. Sadly, you can't get through to a modern teen via the quality of something. It has to be shareable on social media, and the cartoon, face tatted, pill poppin images these rappers have is perfect for that). There's also the bandwagoning effect (all my friends like it, so it must be cool), as well.

that's my view too. these rappers and their fans see the act as a meme, something that can stand out and be heavily marketably. This also adds to the temporality of it all too; in a few years I doubt we'll hear much about these rappers as like all memes they have an expiration date.

Good point. Same thing happened in the 70's. Rock apparently got too bloated and polished (your Bostons, Reos, Foreigners, Alan Parsons, Styxes, etc), Disco was laying waste to the pop music landscape, and out of that disillusionment came punk.

But punks quickly tired of the DIY, lo-fi aesthetic and got more musically ambitious on later records (Sex Pistols to PiL, Clash with their Dub excursions, etc). The untalented punk who couldn't adapt were left behind. Same thing will happen to these SoundCloud rappers, hopefully.

For that to happen, niggers would first have to admit that the child IS theirs, and that aint gonna happen soon, if ever!

I thought you guys were contained at Sup Forums or R/incels?

Yep. The shelf life is incredibly short on shit like this. Ringtone rap was probably the first hip-hop phenomenon to be solely incubated on the Internet (Soulja Boy Boosie, Sup Forums's favorite Lil B, etc ) and the majority of those artists are forgotten.

nah nah nah nah, we're not talking about the same thing, you're talking about the SEVENTIES dude, first wave punk isnt at all what im talking about im saying meme rap = hardcore punk (80s punk). hardcore was about being DIY, hardcore was about being Lofi, hardcore was about being technically inept.

btw the bands you mention, the british first wave punk bands were all industry plants.

No. Because they don't have dads.

ugh why can't you enjoy both without trying to label it. i swear you white ppl overanalyze everything
stop comparing black genres to your white standards. we aint never calling that shit dadrap

as a cracker, miles was right. miles is always right.

what an ugly mug

I think criticism (from fans and critics alike) needs to get harsher with regards to sample based, DAW produced music to start raising the bar on the limitless content that's bound to be produced and shared via digital distribution.

There was once something special about "sampling" in that you knew the producer probably scoured record shops and flea markets for years to cultivate his sample collection. Now, you can download terabytes of music in a day and collect samples that way (yeah, still takes some effort to find a sample, but it doesn't have the same mystique as producers traveling to Brazil looking for obscure Bossa Nova samples). On the more electronic side, artists used to build their own synths and circuit bend to get a specific "sound." Now you can just play with the modulation settings on a DAW and get virtually any sound without too much work.

I know that opinion sounds undemocratic and luddite, but shit, ANYONE can produce now. It's become a cheap commodity, and when a market is flooded (as the ease of digital distribution has allowed), the product is devalued.

I think there needs to be a return to appreciating the effort that goes into making music (and yeah, I'm sure these rappers put in some effort) rather than just simply evaluate the final product. When Charlie Parker would perform a legendary solo, part of the "aesthetic" went beyond just the music and was about admiring the time and energy he put into learning that sax to be capable of performing those solos. I see rappers who can flow with complicated lyrics the same way, but pretty much all of these soundcloud rappers have braindead lyrical content.

Execution should matter, not just results.

how meme rappers talk about the old generation now

djbooth.net/news/entry/2016-09-20-lil-yachty-90s-rappers-cant-accept-change

Yep. As I said here Younger people revel in iconoclasm because they want to stake out their individuality free from perceived older generation constraints (the "back in my my day" criticism).

What's irritating is that the various Lils (and young people in every regard, not just music) are still standing on those shoulders of giants whether they realize it or not or want to or not. And the giants before them stood on the shoulders of their predecessors, rinse/repeat going to back to the dawn of history. The willful ignorance of history to appear "hip" and the sense of superiority the young have over the old is what's aggravating.