You heard it from Pitchfork first: If you aren’t the same race as the singer you’re listening to you can’t really...

You heard it from Pitchfork first: If you aren’t the same race as the singer you’re listening to you can’t really enjoy their music

pitchfork.com/thepitch/on-loving-taylor-swift-while-being-brown/

Her new album is bet trashy and not even in an entertaining way
I figured brown people would understand these jungle beats better than me, it apparently isn't the case though

*Very trashy

> My friends and I weren’t passively consuming Swift’s experiences—we were using them as a springboard to understand and create our own senses of self.

>We decided that we deserved to feel desired and wonderstruck and fearless, too.

Good lord

More like p4kkk amirite?

i made it through two paragraphs, skipped to the bit about a nazi themed diss track and stopped reading.

>linking to the kotaku of music

no thanks. please quote the article here

intersectionality was a mistake

poptimism was a mistake

This
Everything is political these days
We need more pure heroines and less of pic related

very true
while obviously political ramifications of mass media artists like taylor swift should be considered there's never enough attention paid to the music itself in contemporary pop music criticism, and if it is it's nearly always used as an illustration of a political argument. most pitchfork criticism is all about content, nothing on form, which makes for dry and uninspiring reading

if you have different experiences from someone else, then you approach art with a different emotional toolset. experiences differ around race and ethnicity, so that makes a difference.

it’s really not that hard to understand.

>writer begins by explaining their life story
Always a sign that the writer only cares about attention.

that's true. however, from that logic one could extract a value judgement system for criticism that values the race or ethnic identity of an author over their ideas. not saying that this is true or even happens, i just think that some could use this logic to needlessly prioritise their opinions over others

Sorry user, postmodernism is a bs fad. There is human nature, that’s all. Are telling me people can’t enjoy mozart because he came from a completely different time?

Thanks for linking that great article. It was very interesting. I read it, and maybe you could try reading it too, maybe you could learn something!

>Take, for example, her obsession with eyes. Nearly every Taylor Swift album uses eyes as symbols of intimacy and beauty. Her debut single “Tim McGraw,” released in 2006 when Swift was 16, describes her own blue eyes as more beautiful than the stars of Georgia. “State of Grace,” a single off 2012’s Red, establishes a kinship between Swift and her partner based on their “twin fire signs/four blue eyes.” In 1989’s “I Know Places,” she can tell a lover’s eyes are green even in the dark. Reputation’s best single, “Gorgeous,” mentions “ocean blue eyes.” Swift has only swooned over brown eyes in her lyrics once, in Speak Now cut “Superman.” Consuming Swift’s music as a brown person, then, can mean implicitly accepting that your body is not worthy of poetry. It means projecting the specifics of your life onto a line about “mosaic broken hearts” and then being jolted to the realization that it’s not actually about your heart or your love or your eyes.
>There’s the way Swift has positioned brunettes as promiscuous rivals in her videos again and again. Or her nostalgia for a glamorous (and very white) past, exemplified via a romanticized depiction of colonial-era Africa—featuring virtually no black people—in her “Wildest Dreams” video. Her bias is there in the people she canonizes in her lyrics, too, whether it’s James Taylor in “Begin Again,” Ethel and Robert Kennedy in “Starlight,” James Dean in “Style,” or Tim McGraw in, well, “Tim McGraw.” These icons are not necessarily mentioned in passing, often providing her songs with a narrative backbone: “Starlight” is essentially Kennedy fanfic, while “Tim McGraw” finds Swift using the country singer’s music as a romantic calling card.
>So, how should people of color consume the work of our beloved white icons once we’ve realized they don’t really represent us? When you’ve glorified someone, it’s easy to feel betrayed by their shortcomings

I did read it, regrettably. It is ironically extremely racist towards the people she is claiming to speak for. The author is assuming that “brown” people are a hivemind. There are probably more idiot white women with buzzcuts that agree with this article than there are non-whites

>ITS NOT ME THAT IS RACIST

>ITS THE BROWN PEOPLE

Kill yourself. Your reading comprehension ability is pathetic.

But if they question the author, they’re a coon or whatever. One real white privilege is being able to tell another white they are a fucking idiot without them uniting the tribe against your wrongthink.

Hey, I'm not the one that complained about the author speaking for every other person of color and then spoke for every person of color.

But he didn’t say that. At most he criticized the authors assumption to speak for everyone. Please learn to read and just lurk from now on.

t. Turbobrainlet
Go back to r/music

(OP)
>tfw taylor swift gets ben garrison'd
wh-which timeline?

Or, y'know Nicki, it could have just not been nominated because the song sucks.

when the fuck will people stop making petty celebrity arguments into huge symbolic battles for freedom and equality

>political ramifications of an artist who refuses to talk about politics

This

So, if communication between races is impossible; through language, through visuals, through music, then I guess that means segregation is not only desirable, but necessary.

Libtards are a logical step from going for Sup Forumslack...fuck me.

That was also ridiculous. That song is objectively awful

>Libtards are a logical step from going for Sup Forumslack...fuck me.
I have mixed feelings

why would anyone go from one extreme to another. stupid brainlet

>why would anyone go from one extreme to another
Because they're mentally ill and prone to dichotomous thought processes.

>Have a bad experience
>Change position slightly
>Get called names by someone on the internet with a high school understanding of the world
Yeah but also its not a music discussion so let's keep on topic

Wtf i hate modern techno now

>taking the bait

p4k hasnt been worth checking for a while now. the bnm has mostly been annoying rap and effete female vocals for a while now.

so glad I don't have to deal with this race baiting bullshit

that picture makes me irrationally angry.

she's a hugely popular star user, of course she's going to have a degree of political significance. she's a signifier for the establishment and the music industry in the public sphere whether she likes it or not

yes and yet people berate centrists for not being extreme enough
why is the american political landscape such a fucking wasteland

IF the past few US elections have proven anything, it’s that we dont give a shit what celebrities think or the dems would hold more power. These are entertainers. Disposable entertainers at that.

I almost cared enough to write a reply, then I realized I only listen to white artists anyway

If you take PItchfork seriously outside the early 2010s you're a white guilt cuck

that's true, but that's not what i mean user. she is implicitly a political figure because of the money and power she represents and uses, because of her race, her gender, her position in the media, etc. etc. obviously people who listen to celebs for political advice are spastics but that doesn't diminish the point that their actions in the public sphere still carry enormous political weight. the fact that i, a non-american, is even having this debate shows how much pop singers figure into national and international political debates

Noisy minority. Most people are too busy trying to keep their house in order to write think pieces on who-the-fuck-knows.
Similarly, only crazy people think they have a shot at the political game, and even then, it'll show you if you're an honest-to-God sociopath or just a common narcissist.

see

? i agree with all of those statements and i don't believe my posts contradict them. i'm pretty tired though so forgive me if i'm missing something really obvious

Man, you're missing out on the most fascinating music of the last two centuries though, Jazz.