ITT: Cringy Wikipedia/RYM/Allmusic genre tagging

ITT: Cringy Wikipedia/RYM/Allmusic genre tagging

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1sBb4DVR_7AU04gYpLNfUwqyozQ2OLwSIHksSLf8OIzk/edit?usp=sharing
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/11665-sunflowersurfs-up/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/red_hot_chili_peppers/californication/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/red-hot-chili-peppers/im-with-you-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/red_hot_chili_peppers/the_getaway/
rateyourmusic.com/~FireNinja606
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>RHCP
>pop rock

lol are you implying it's not?

dubs
this

Idiot, read this immediately.
docs.google.com/document/d/1sBb4DVR_7AU04gYpLNfUwqyozQ2OLwSIHksSLf8OIzk/edit?usp=sharing

Alternative Rock songs that have some catchy, memorable melody DOES NOT CORRELATE TO POP ROCK! It's like saying a band is emo because they're emotional, without delving into the actual history of the genre like an ignorant moron.

>Okay, what in Grimes' name

Stopped reading.

>metal song
>viking-centric lyrics
I don't see the problem here

My favourite is

>David Bowie - Blackstar
>Experimental Jazz

I was just looking at Muse on Wikipedia and saw this lmao

>you

Were the beach boys the best proto-chillwave band of the 60s?

viking metal has sonical characteristics too

Let me guess, the """source""" for proto-shoegaze is p4k?

yep pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/11665-sunflowersurfs-up/

Except that RHCP are pop as it gets. They have the typical pop song structure with guitars, making it pop rock, but obviously you're way too stupid and ignorant to point that out.

Later RHCP is most definitely pop rock

These tags are fucking retarded. Pop rock and rock, yeah, but not the rest.

Viking metal is an actual subgenre of metal, stemming from black metal

Not even remotely. Any "pop" structures they ever had is just alternative rock alone, not pop. They don't even employ any traditionalist standards of a pop rock band; their funk-meets punk of Flea and John Frusciante's esoteric psychedelia, post-punk and art/experimental influences, along with Chad Smith's heavy metal/hard rock meets funk and jazz percussion style and Kiedis' rap/rock vocals do NOT belong at all with "pop". If you actually hear just pop rock, you either have not listened to much RHCP (have only listened to their most mainstream songs), have no idea what a pop rock band is (compare REO Speedwagon, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Hootie and the Blowfish, and Bon Jovi along with others I can't remember to RHCP and you'll see that they do not fit at all) or you just label any rock band with such popularity as pop rock.

>"They have the typical pop song structure with guitars, making it pop rock"

You mean the verse-chorus-verse structure? If so, literally EVERY alternative rock band utilizes that song structure, including Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, and even Radiohead. It's a defining trait of alt. rock; ever since the Pixies, most alt. rock songs have the quiet verses/loud choruses structure. That isn't pop rock, retard. Your head is so far up your own ass, you can lick your own shit.

No, Stadium Arcadium is just Alternative Rock, Hard Rock and Funk Rock. I'm With You and The Getaway is just alternative rock, which is RHCP at their most primitive. To dismiss their work as just pop rock is idiotic and unwarranted, because you also fail to grasp their much more creative works.

Christ RHCP fans are the worst. They do veer into pop rock territory. That doesn't mean that's their primary genre, but you can easily classify something as being alternative rock and pop rock since those terms are essentially meaningless at this point. Also, there's literally nothing wrong with being pop rock.

For christ's sake this is a band that has been scoring Top 40 hits since the early 90s and sells out stadiums. They are/were well acquainted with the mainstream. Give me a fucking break

Popularity doesn't equal pop. Nirvana was hugely popular, but they're grunge. Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness went Diamond, yet they have never been considered pop, or pop rock. Saying such a rhetoric is just surface-level at best. It's like labeling bands as emo because they're emotional (like MCR and Fall Out Boy, dear lord if I ever hear another faggot say they're emo... NVM) when music is an emotional art form.

And plus, there is nothing wrong with pop rock, IF THEY WERE POP ROCK AT ALL.

whats even the difference between pop rock and alternative rock. like really?

>ITT
Led Zeppelin, RHCP, and U2 fans

here's two bathory fans
they're alright

t. someone who only knows Vertigo

U2 is pop rock through and through. Not RHCP though.

Pop rock is pop music made with rock instrumentation. It typically relies on traditionalist song structures and merges the simplicity of pop with the instrumentation of rock.

Alternative rock is rock that bridges the gap between mainstream and independent/underground, that takes influences from both conventional and unconventional. While it does have the typical V-C-V structure of pop, what separates it is its distinctive quiet verses and explosive, loud and heavy choruses. And plus, it can be easily combined into other genres such as Metal, Hip-Hop, Art Rock and Experimental/Avant-Garde music.

U2 were post-punk though.

Quite a few jam bands are labeled as jazz fusion and that doesn't seem right to me.

also it's not a metal song you nog

>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/red_hot_chili_peppers/californication/
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/red-hot-chili-peppers/im-with-you-1/
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/red_hot_chili_peppers/the_getaway/

it's pop rock my dude

>RYM is accurate
Idiot, I voted down all of those genres. Read this again! ()

And plus, me looking at By The Way was the main reason I made that document! I even screen-shotted the BTW genres!

Kek what is it with people linking to google docs of their essays on mu now

I stated that trend, boy!

I remember this retard from a couple weeks ago when he was talking about how RHCP should be called "indie rock". Guess he's dropped that part of his argument now lmao

Someone else said that? I said RHCP was alternative rock, with elements of indie. And I still think pop rock for RHCP is stupid.

>proto-viking metal
happy now?

>actually liking U2 enough to be familiar with their discography

when people call throbbing gristle industrial

does anyone have the pic of The Mollusk tagged as vaporwave and alt country or whatever

I can see them not being 100% pop rock but your proposed genres for each album are even more retarded
not only that but you being so assblasted by the genre tags to the point of posting this autistic essay every time it's mentioned shows you have some irrational anger against pop rock which is also retarded. RHCP always took hints from pop rock and there's nothing wrong with that

are they not?

>it's not a metal song
>lyrics don't define a genre
You probably think Amon Amarth are viking metal as well

>following south park and not realizing most stuff U2 did since their debut up to Achtung Baby is actually good

>Okay, what in Grimes' name
And all the faggy exclamation marks in your posts that follow convince me this is a very elaborate bait.

no, they lack the focus on (and use of) percussion that industrial has. Also a lack of samples. Throbbing Gristle is more noise than it's industrial.

>Cyberpunk

>But in summation, classifying RHCP as Pop Rock is unwarranted, and ridiculously lazy
Pop rock is literally more descriptive than alternative rock lmao

>Alternative rock is a style of Rock music that generally consists of typically Pop Rock-based song structures performed with a less commercial, more underground sensibility.
damn... it's almost as if... RHCP moved away from the underground influences that were more noticeable in their early work and went for a more radio-friendly and accessible sound... woah...

nothing U2 ever did was good

>none of the two U2 songs I listened to are good

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

ever since i saw this it stuck in my mind but i never thought i'd have the chance to talk about it

You don't need to hear more than two songs by them to know they suck

what's your favorite band

Again, not a single mention of pop rock, and it confirms everything I've said. Now shut up and die!

>thinking wikipedia is always right
>thinks just because a band is primarily known for one or more genres they can't make songs or even entire albums in another genre
retard

>unable to check the sources/citations on Wikipedia
>actually thinking one of the most unique bands even remotely belongs to one of the most derivative genres ever
>can't recognize any other genres of RHCP
Fucking imbecile. Go elongate nifty barnacles from your liver-ous palsy.

>Chili Peppers' S/T
>Indie rock

>Californication
>Noise Rock (mainly because of the album's subpar remastering, especially in Parallel Universe)

>By the Way
>most of the songs here resemble The Cure mixed with Fugazi

>>actually thinking one of the most unique bands even remotely belongs to one of the most derivative genres ever
so you do have a retarded grudge against pop rock. you should be more open minded instead of the fucking retard you're being right now.
also, way to out yourself as a blind fanboy defending a band over a pointless genre tag
>>unable to check the sources/citations on Wikipedia
I don't think RHCP aren't those genres you fucking retarded faggot. way to miss the point.
>>can't recognize any other genres of RHCP
are you retarded? what are you even saying here?
also, just because a band is influenced by a genre doesn't mean they belong to that genre

see you're the type of pedantic faggot that gives fanbases a bad name

You are beyond retarded

>Red Hot Chili Peppers
>Indie rock, noise rock
Okay now you must just be trolling

Anyone who compares 2000s RHCP to Fugazi is either trolling or genuinely mentally impaired. Or possibly underaged.

>vaporwave

Are these real?

>this tag won't confuse normies

rateyourmusic.com/~FireNinja606
is this you

>5 stars One More Light

Imagine being such an RHCP stan that you actually think Atoms for Peace is good.

Dear lord, you're a heathen.
>so you do have a retarded grudge against pop rock. you should be more open minded instead of the fucking retard you're being right now.
>also, way to out yourself as a blind fanboy defending a band over a pointless genre tag
Is that why literally almost every single critic, connoisseur and musician always dismisses bands like RHCP because they became popular, and as a result underrate one of the greatest bands of all time? I don't hate pop rock per se; it's just such an unoriginal cliche to label all rock bands that reached a certain level of popularity as pop. And for your information, I'm not doing this for RHCP alone. This is the same thing that happened to Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park and even My Chemical Romance; alternative rock that got popular does not correlate to pop rock. It's a simple, yet objective truth. And also, I love how you say I'm close minded, yet you don't even consider the plethora of genres RHCP fit more precisely than just pop rock. That's exactly what I meant by ">can't recognize any other genres of RHCP," so you just proved my point yet again.

>>unable to check the sources/citations on Wikipedia
>I don't think RHCP aren't those genres you fucking retarded faggot. way to miss the point.

1: No, I did not miss the point. You clearly stated here on this:
"thinking Wikipedia is always right." I stated what I said because you act as if Wikipedia is always erroneous with their information. If you actually checked the sources, you would realize that it is credible and correct.

2: It doesn't matter what you think about RHCP; they were never, are not, and will never be pop rock. They're simply too diverse to be the genre, even as a secondary. Like you stated, "just because a band is influenced by a genre doesn't mean they belong to that genre." RHCP might have been influenced by pop (in a small way), but that doesn't mean they are. RHCP has always been considered Alternative Rock and Funk Rock.

No, not trolling at all. I didn't state that they were fully indie rock/noise rock, moreso they were inspired and had elements of those genres. Primarily, RHCP is just Alternative Rock/Funk Rock, but those undertones are much more prominent than such a vague genre as pop rock. Now stop disagreeing and take the Red (Hot Chili Peppers) pill.

>"On Californication (1999) and By the Way (2002), Frusciante derived the technique of creating tonal texture through chord patterns from post-punk guitarist Vini Reilly of The Durutti Column, and bands such as Fugazi and The Cure.[85][237][238] On By The Way, he wanted lead guitar to be something you could sing, his guitar playing was then influenced by John McGeoch of Siouxsie and the Banshees, Johnny Marr of The Smiths and Bernard Sumner of Joy Division.[239] He initially wanted to take another direction and intended the record to be made up of "these punky, rough songs", drawing inspiration from early punk artists such as The Germs and The Damned. However, this was discouraged by producer Rick Rubin, and he instead built upon Californication's (1999) melodically driven style."

From John Frusciante himself.

Brother's account. He uses it more than me.

Out of pity, because he couldn't bear to see them get that much hate (even though he thinks the album is mediocre).

>Is that why literally almost every single critic, connoisseur and musician always dismisses bands like RHCP because they became popular, and as a result underrate one of the greatest bands of all time?
not even relevant
>I don't hate pop rock per se
>one of the most derivative genres ever
uh-huh
>This is the same thing that happened to Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park and even My Chemical Romance
those all softened their sound to a more radio friendly approach later in their carrer. pop rock isn't an inaccurate label for them. also MCR was always pop.
>alternative rock that got popular does not correlate to pop rock
they were always popular, are you retarded? if anything, they're more well known for their non-pop releases
>And also, I love how you say I'm close minded, yet you don't even consider the plethora of genres RHCP fit more precisely than just pop rock. That's exactly what I meant by ">can't recognize any other genres of RHCP," so you just proved my point yet again.
what the fuck are you even saying here? I like RHCP you fucking moron, what I don't like is pedantic faggots like you claiming your beloved band isn't a genre you don't like
>I stated what I said because you act as if Wikipedia is always erroneous with their information.
but I literally didn't. plus, ommission of information is a thing, you know.
>It doesn't matter what you think about RHCP; they were never, are not, and will never be pop rock
literally not an argument
>They're simply too diverse to be the genre, even as a secondary.
there's literally nothing stopping pop music from bein diverse. have you ever heard of this little band called The Beatles?
>RHCP might have been influenced by pop (in a small way)
>in a small way
now you're just being delusional
>RHCP has always been considered Alternative Rock and Funk Rock
you can be more than one genre
also, see

Did you even read what you just quoted?
>However, this was discouraged by producer Rick Rubin, and he instead built upon Californication's (1999) melodically driven style.
Also
>guitarrist is influenced by genre
>this obviously means his band is part of that genre
Oh wow, I guess Marquee Moon is Free Jazz and literally every band influenced by The Beatles are Merseybeat huh.

>not even relevant
Yes, it is. Critics have literally dismissed RHCP as garbage, or mediocre as a result of being mislabeled. Hell, Sup Forums, besides the Beatles, Beach Boys and others, hate RHCP because they're "pop rock." A guy on my other thread stated exactly this!

>those all softened their sound to a more radio friendly approach later in their carrer. pop rock isn't an inaccurate label for them. also MCR was always pop.
Are you that daft that you ignore that popularity does not correlate to pop? Like I've said ALREADY, it's equivalent to labeling emo bands as emotional. Hell, I even made an emo essay on it as well. And MCR is alternative rock and pop-punk. They only became pop on Danger Days.

>they were always popular, are you retarded? if anything, they're more well known for their non-pop releases
I... don't know what you're arguing here. I'm sorry, I can't.

>what the fuck are you even saying here? I like RHCP you fucking moron, what I don't like is pedantic faggots like you claiming your beloved band isn't a genre you don't like
Now you're putting words into my mouth. I didn't say you hated them at all, just that you were inconsiderate to the other genres RHCP had besides pop.

I'm skipping the rest because I might run out of room.

>there's literally nothing stopping pop music from bein diverse. have you ever heard of this little band called The Beatles?
For every pop band as unique as the Beatles, there are countless others who don't have that style or creativity to be something other than pop rock. Pop, in essence revels in its simplicity and traditionalism, as I've stated many times before. RHCP can't fit into that category.

>you can be more than one genre
...that WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY ESSAY, IDIOT!!!! RHCP HAS MORE GENRES BESIDES POP ROCK!!!

And by the way, I meant that the artists in pop rock were derivative, not the whole genre itself.

kill yourself tasteless faggot

>guitarrist is influenced by genre
>>this obviously means his band is part of that genre
>Oh wow, I guess Marquee Moon is Free Jazz and literally every band influenced by The Beatles are Merseybeat huh.
Didn't say RHCP's entire discography was Post-Punk, It's just that those two albums combined elements of those genres with their own style of Alternative Rock/Funk Rock. Stop projecting.

I also like this album too.

You know what? This entire thread has gone out of hand. Let's just agree to disagree that RHCP isn't pop rock and that they're simply an Alt. Rock/Funk Rock band. Thank you, and good night.

RHCP

>run the jewels
>hardcore hip hop

What the fuck is going on.

>Are you that daft that you ignore that popularity does not correlate to pop?
Are you admitting that RHCP are pop? What are you even saying here?
>I... don't know what you're arguing here.
I don't get what you're struggling with, it's pretty clear. Most of the bands you mentioned got popular becaus of their early, non-pop work. They were only labeled as Pop Rock later on, when they streamlined their sound.
>just that you were inconsiderate to the other genres RHCP had besides pop.
Yes, I know that, but for the sake of labeling, Pop Rock is a genre that is most noticeable throughout their later work, that's my entire fucking point.
>For every pop band as unique as the Beatles, there are countless others who don't have that style or creativity to be something other than pop rock.
Just because there's a bunch of bland Pop Rock artists it doesn't mean all Pop Rock artists are bland you retard. This is an incredibly close-minded approach to music, specially to a genre as broad as Pop Rock.
>Pop, in essence revels in its simplicity and traditionalism
Which is exactly what RHCP went for in their later work.
>RHCP HAS MORE GENRES BESIDES POP ROCK!!!
Yes you fucking idiot, a fuckton of bands work with multiple genres, but (again) for the sake of labeling, Pop Rock is a genre that fits a lot of their work. You do know that Pop Rock is a rather diverse genre, right?
>And by the way, I meant that the artists in pop rock were derivative, not the whole genre itself.
All genres have derivative artists. This point makes no sense.
What I got from you is that you hate pop rock, you're mad that hipsters hate RHCP and you're mad that RHCP was labeled as Pop Rock and is projecting your hate into the hipsters.
How convenient, huh.

One last thing:

>run the jewels
>experimental hip hop

>Didn't say RHCP's entire discography was Post-Punk
You said the albums in which the influence was (supposedly) present were post-punk.
>It's just that those two albums combined elements of those genres with their own style of Alternative Rock/Funk Rock
Funny how you ignored the quote that directly contradicts that.

>Stop projecting.
do you even know what that means

Yeah the first two (and even War to an extent) albums were definitely post punk

>Brother's account. He uses it more than me.
Sure thing buddy

>Funny how you ignored the quote that directly contradicts that.
>"On Californication (1999) and By the Way (2002), Frusciante derived the technique of creating tonal texture through chord patterns from post-punk guitarist Vini Reilly of The Durutti Column, and bands such as Fugazi and The Cure."

Only the part where Frusciante wanted to go heavier and more rough was dismissed by Rubin, but that doesn't mean that influence isn't still lingering in BTW/Californication. I was talking about the first part of the quote.

>"He initially wanted to take another direction and intended the record to be made up of "these punky, rough songs", drawing inspiration from early punk artists such as The Germs and The Damned."
I didn't say the Germs and the Damned (punk rock). I said The Cure meets Fugazi. Reading comprehenshion isn't your strong suit, isn't it?

Yes, he insinuated that I said that as a whole, which I didn't.

so you dont know what that means

Fair enough. The other point still stands though.