Would be possible to film a movie with aesthetics similar to Dark Souls, without CGI...

Would be possible to film a movie with aesthetics similar to Dark Souls, without CGI, and with a minimal computer editing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YHKmBMq7FMo
youtube.com/watch?v=3SnA2rv4ros
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah

>without CGI, and with a minimal computer editing?

What did he mean by this?

>cgi is bad meme

LotR

>film in a gothic cathedral
>use minatures
>use matte paintings
more impressive has been accomplished so yes

maybe

What's the technique they used for the original star wars trilogy again? Paintings as backgrounds or something?

Anyway just use that

If someone tried to do a Dark Souls film, it would be some kind of fucking weird dark fantasy that was two parts Labyrinth, one part The Ring, one part Lord of the Rings, and directed by David Lynch.

>Would be possible to film a movie with aesthetics similar to Dark Souls
Yes
>without CGI
Yes, but your production budget would be high as you would have to shot shit at locations, mostly around europe. Thats a million dollars right there in transportation, hotels, rent, etc etc.
Then theres set design which would be another million dollars just to make shit look temporarily run down, costumes, gear.
Then theres insurance, food, pay for a skeleton production team of 35. Now were hitting the 4 million dollar mark here.
The theres equipment, you can rent it, but that's not cheap either and you'll need insurance for that.
>and with a minimal computer editing?
No, unless you want your film to look like shit you will need alot of post production even to come close to the aesthetics of Dark Souls.

So if you have about 10-15 million dollars, yes. If not, you better not.

Or you could find a nice forest, a couple of friends, a few dedicated stuntmen and shot a long short of about 30 min for about 1000 bucks.

tfw we will never have a real (non-CGI) Minas Tirith.
youtube.com/watch?v=YHKmBMq7FMo

Film in front of any of the thousands of gothic churches in the world

Yes, but you need a good script and a very good director.

how fucking dense do you have to be to think David Lynch movies have anything to do aesthetically or thematically with the trite fantasy for 15-year old virgins that Dark Souls consists of?
Dark Souls is the kind of thing that gets shat out by a hack TV director, stars Vin Diesel and flops hard

The problem here is the storyline. What argument could we extract from Dark Souls, without ending in a boring four hours movie? Furtive Pygmy story is a perpetual cycle of destiny fulfillment. Artorias of the Abyss? A fight against pure darkness. Gwyn's legacy, maybe? Incestuous traplords.
Hard to choose, but at least we have a world that is built over the ruins of the previous one. One age ends, another one begins.

>No, unless you want your film to look like shit you will need alot of post production even to come close to the aesthetics of Dark Souls.
Of course, postproduction is necessary, but without reaching the point of digitally generating an environment (see "I, Frankenstein (2014)").

You can't really bring a world like that into a movie. You could use similar aesthetics, but the feel will never be the same as in the game.

And a top notch DP since so much will have to be done in camera. And experienced postprocessors since he wants minimal digital touches.

are we talking a short here or a feature?

I dont think trying to build a 2 hour narrative on existing lore is good. You would have to manage to set your story in that world first without bashing the viewer over the head with narration and backstory, the more you can tell with visuals, the better.

So you would have to come up with a story that fits thematically with the souls series, any existing lore you use will only be for world building.

>Of course, postproduction is necessary, but without reaching the point of digitally generating an environment (see "I, Frankenstein (2014)").
I was thinking more in the line of grading, color correction, editing, sound design, SFX etc. If you want to avoid your film looking and sounding like it was shot on an iphone, you need all that.

>without CGI

how? dark souls is literally fantasy world

There is only one storyline you can go with.

Recording on the Cathedral of Milan.

Should we text Peter Jackson?

Now seriously, Catarina armor style is too deep for the standard hollywood taste.

Final scene place

Let's add some CGI Arch Trees.

Tim Burton already did it with Sleepy Hollow

fucking youngfags, watch some older movies and not just capeshit
AND I'M NOT GOING TO ATTACH A FUCKING PICTURE EVEN IF I KNOW YOU WON'T READ THIS WITHOUT A FUCKING STUPID PICTURE ON IT SINCE YOU ONLY LOOK AT COMMENTS WHERE PICS GET YOUR RETARDED ATTENTION

FUCK YOU 4CHaiN!!!!!

Take some bonfire place too

Have you faggots never watched Tim Burton's 90s movies?!?!?!?!

Yeap, watch The Fall and the spanish sequences from The Fountain

needs to be really well done or winds up looking like this

The Dungeons & Dragons movie is pretty close OP.
youtube.com/watch?v=3SnA2rv4ros

Oscar, the knight of Astora

>Show Astora and more from the world outside the game
>Show Oscar pilgrimage to Anor Londo
>The movie ends in a dark tone, when he dies, passing the mission to another undead before losing all hope and go hollow

You can be loyal to the lore of the game and at same time show new areas and characthers

If you liked the aesthetics of Dark Souls you're gonna love Mont Saint-Michel.
I was there and thought "This place looks just like Dark Souls!"
Later I found out they actually modeled some of the game after it.

Or this

Hi-Quality 5 minutes design.

pretty neat

Aerial scene, while the recording drone moves forward.

Just giving ideas, guys.

I appreciate it, mate. This will be a must see if I visit France.

Brilliant.

Look who's talking.

Why the fuck would you want a Dark Souls movie when you could have a Demon's Souls movie