Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Previous thread:

To the user who kept asking where the scale intervals came from in the last thread.

They came from the fact they fucking sounded good you mong.

first for brazil

first for felling virgin amazon rainforest for toanwood

If you match the 3rd and 15th frets to one another intonation wise and it's way off open-string wise then the problem is the nut. The string is probably sitting too high in the nut, as it'd probably be buzzing when played open if it was too low.
When you tune that string to the 3rd fret as was suggested, is it sharp or flat when played open?

4th for brazil

One other thing is common is guitarists will whack that open low string way too hard and thus it'll ring sharp. Don't do that.

I ordered a guitar from aliexpress, wish me luck.

what a waste of money

Back to work for wageslave me. But in 4 hours im turning this bitch on

We'll see.

Yes we all do see. You fucked up.

Since the thread's getting no traffic (edit, it's picking up now but I'm committed), a reminder that Les Pauls have been manufactured with inherent design flaws for 65 years, and the company has continually resisted addressing these flaws because its customer base is a bunch of baby boomer luddites.

These flaws are the following
>1 piece neck construction
>With mahogany
>No volute
>Ridiculously steep headstock angle
>3 by 3 tuning machine design with shit string pull
>muh non-lubed nuts

Notice how Les Paul necks/headstocks usually break. They break along the woodgrain, from the back of the neck behind the nut, to the face of the headstock often as far as above the truss rod cover.
This is a result of one piece construction, so the grain which runs length-wise through the neck, runs diagonally from the rear to the front face of the headstock. If this join were scarfed, the grain would also run lenthwise through the headstock, not affording the possibility for it to break.
It's also a result of the steep headstock angle. Fender also makes guitars with one piece necks, but the headstock is recessed rather than flattened, so the grain still runs parallel to the headstock, not through it.
It's also a result of, in spite of all of this, a simple volute being omitted for no good reason, when it would be really easy to do so, and increase the thickness of the wood at its most vulnerable point.

Notice how Les Pauls often have tuning problems associated with string binding. Again, a problem caused by the steep angle, but also by the choice of nut material, and more notably the design where the strings (particularly the 3rd and 4th) suffer from poor string pull and string alignment, causing further binding, because Gibson wouldn't redesign their outdated rectangular headstock when even the likes of PRS have demonstrated how easy it would be to do.

Now really ask yourself, would you trust your kids with a company like Gibson?

No more soyboy instruments please. This is a high quality board

look at the string pull and alignment on this. so much better than on a Les Paul. See Gibson, it's not that difficult.

user, what's a Soyboy?

this is a music board, show me your soyboy music

i dont have problems with my les paul

yet

well its been 3 ears laread

yeah but think how many LPs have broken from the force of a feather tickle since 1952.

>being so mad at some guy who bought something
Are all the people on this board just kiddies with no disposable income?

Post ur /pointies/

>1983-4 ibanez star destroyer

Inb4 pointy/10

I have nothing against you buying guitars on aliexpress, that's your prerogative, but accusing others of being kiddies with no disposable income while you buy a chinese import guitar, how lacking in awareness are you?

I'll see if I can quickly snap my pointy. It's not as pointy as your pointy. My pointy is in the attic. I think.

>he thinks instruments make an artist

You clearly do have something against user buying a chink guitar or you wouldnt be berrating him lmao

I await your /pointy/

>oh noes you fucked up!
>getting mad/anxious over 200 bucks
If you can't spend 200 bucks out of curiosity for something that might end up being a dud then your disposable income is either nonexistant or you have very little of it. Get a job and maybe you'll be able to afford a little chinese guitar adventure to see for yourself whether or not they're trash.

why should i? thats negative

There is a difference between SPENDING money and WASTING money

You will have soon

idk why you need to post this, im p sure everyone is aware of all the negatives of gibson by now

doesnt stop me from enjoying my flying v tho

your words are shit

>spending an insignificant amount of money out of curiosity for something
>bad
Do you also never experiment with different strings (going by your levels of disposable income here) in fear of not liking them and wasting money?

I was criticizing his use of "with no disposable income" as an argument against us when he's buying a chink guitar. Nothing to do with playing.

That was my first reply to that user. I wasn't the other guy.

Fair point but as I said, I wasn't that original guy.

ahhh I'm not sure I want to anymore.

No. I experiment with different strings, but do you really think you'll get a good or even usable guitar from Aliexpress? If they can sell them that cheap, how cheap don't you think it was to craft them?

Gibsons play so smooth though, don't tell me you wouldn't want one if it was given to you.

oops wrong pic

If someone would give me a Gibson, I'd sell it and buy from another brand like Fender or Musicman

cool, what'd you get?

okay. I will.
this guitar has been in storage for 8 years.
apparently teenage me thought it was acceptable to just not restring it.
so for 8 years it's just been sitting there without strings.
cringing at the thought of it.

thats one of the ghins il ike about my les paul

How cheap do you think labour is in China? And electric guitars are easy to fix/mod, it might be an interesting project. And as I said, how do you know they're not reasonable if you don't get one and see for yourself? I've read lots of accounts on these and they are pretty mixed, so it seems like there is a chance of getting a dud but also a chance of getting a nice guitar.

Really? It's the other way around for me, I've had many Fenders and at the end of the day they feel so pedestrian. They don't feel like special instruments, even MIAs feel like slightly higher end versions of their cheaper guitars.

I'm about to trade an MIA jaguar for a 335 I think.

Is the neck alright? Either way thats a certified pointy, i had an explorer when i was like 16 and ended up chipping the ass point so bad you could see the wood

Sure, but I can get a handcrafted instrument from an actual luthier, instead of factory workers, for the price of many Gibsons. Why would I get a Gibson?

And yes sure, if someone gave me a free guitar that is worth any amount of money I'd take it.

fight me

>posting the inferior gibson model

Step aside

>Gibsons play so smooth though
not if you're used to fender scale length, neck break and fretboard radius.
>don't tell me you wouldn't want one if it was given to you.
sure, to sell like this user said. >I've had many Fenders and at the end of the day they feel so pedestrian. They don't feel like special instruments, even MIAs feel like slightly higher end versions of their cheaper guitars.

Admittedly I see your point. The whole look and feel and aesthetic doesn't scream class like Gibsons do, but they're functional. Besides, when you talk about Fender-type vs Gibson-type guitars when not from those manufacturers, there are a lot of luthiers who have made higher end looking guitars based more on the fender template.
Like this guy said just as I finished typing it. >Sure, but I can get a handcrafted instrument from an actual luthier, instead of factory workers, for the price of many Gibsons.

Looking to get a new guitar and sell my old chink LP (3 humbuckers and a floyd). Thinking of getting another LP or a Firebird. Any good alternatives or recommendations?

yeah good news, the neck looks absolutely fine. no signs of bowing or warping. suspect when I restring it, the neck might bow forward a bit, so it might need a truss rod adjustment but no biggie.
Kinda felt nostalgia pulling that out of storage, I'll give it a bit more tlc desu.
Also notice how the strap button is missing in that photo, filled in with a screw and washer. I moved the strap button to the back of the guitar to deal with top heaviness a bit.

>lawsuit Ric
Gimme! I want one of those more than I want an actual Ric...

Firebirds are great, if youre into the gibson side of thing maybe check out an explorer or an sg, but if youre looking for humbucker tone in general i highly rec ibanez

Its incredible pham, was only £450 quid including import as well, 1978 neck thru

If you can get your hands on a greco rb from 1977-1980, never let go

I love digging out old guitars, especially ones from when i was in my early days of guitar playing, and thats some mcguyver tier tinkering user, but you could have gone the albini route and just attached it to ur belt

We only get the chink shit here and those career or rockinbetter copys. No vintage Japanese stuff on the mainland sadly....

Hagstrom still has one of my favourite headstocks.

Still has the issues with the string angle over the nut though.

>So cheap is something anyone can afford? How many of those things are?

That's the exact opposite of what I meant.

My budget range is more Epiphone than Gibson. Not a huge fan of Ibanez guitars myself (prefer Jackson).

same here, you have to import which is often quite pricey seeing as the base price of mij gear has gone up in the last year, but theyre still out there pham

check reverb occasionally, russia seem to have an abundance of old mij goodies

the only nut issue is you, you are making exaggerations for some reason.

Show pic, bud. I need to check out some reviews before I do the same. I wonder how many factories are involved and if it's possible to track which have the highest quality output. Pic related.

i meant gibson style, the epiphone firebirds are quite good (not the studio ones) if you can get one of those firebird reissues with the vibrato youll be one happy camper,

if you like jackson i really recomend looking into fernandes, kirk hammet played them a while in the 80s, basically made jackson rip offs in japan and theyre fantastic quality, that or an old charvel

old mij shred guitars are surprisingly cheap for what they are

The strings go through the nut at an angle to the sides, that's simply not ideal. Why get so defensive over that simple fact?

What's funny about this is that I don't hear anybody complain about this other than online losers who couldn't play if their lives depended on it. Martin, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, etc. all use the same headstock configuration. It sounds like something only jerkoffs seem to be concerned about.

>D and G string not staying in tune on Gibsons
>not an issue
M8, it's incredibly widespread to the point where people just accept it. There is even a special product to eliminate that issue called string butler.

because it's not a fact, the fact is there is no basis to your assumptions other than silly memes

I don't have it, I just ordered it. Contact the seller beforehand and make sire they respond in a reasonable amount of time. Also, choose a store that has existed for over a year, has several hundred purchases and is 90%+ positive transactions.

All the stores get their guitars from the same 3-5 factories. From what I heard the factory workers make the aliexpress guitars on the side/after work, which is also why you can get them customized however you want.

Dude, just stop. You have a straight slot and the string going through it at an extreme angle, that means that the string grinds against the sides of the slot. It's unnecessary friction. That's physics and the issues with that design are very well known.

both my gibson and a cheap 3/4 scale guitar stay in perfect tune despite bending 1 1/2 steps all the time as part of a practice routine so I can't relate to what you're spouting off about

Do these work?

Ah okay, I'll keep an eye out. The problem is I really want one in midnight blue but that colour is rare and even rarer on lawsuit models AFAIK.

so what about the break at a fender bridge, i guess your theory only works on one end or the guitar

>I don't have that problem!
And that eliminates the literal thousands of people who do have the issue?

I own many guitars with the three on a side headstock configuration what you're saying simply isn't true. You're just parroting something stupid you read online. The thing is you probably get away with it most of the time because you're used to talking to other retards online and you never get called out on it. Today's your unluckiest day, I'm calling you an idiot straight to your face.

The break angle downwards is good, they don't go off to the side. What are you talking about?

Recommended compressor pedals?

The issue isn't with 3 by 3 headstock's in general, ibanez and PRS make proper ones where the strings go over the nut straight.
>Today's your unluckiest day, I'm calling you an idiot straight to your face.
lol, and now what mister internet tough guy?

none

SP Comp if you've never used a compressor before. It's all you need.

wow you are one dense individual the angle is an angle up sideways down it's the same thing a steep angle on the string

>The break angle downwards is good
kek you mean like 17 degrees down? make up your mind idiot

What are the best online Black Friday deals for Guitar and Bass related stuff.

Best buy's selling mustangs for 15% off.

I was talking about the angle to the sides, I was actually very clear about this, please learn to read.
It's literally not the same. One keeps the string seated firmly in the saddle/nutslot, the other one literally adds nothing but unnecessary friction.

not that user but I'll jump in with two points:
1) the saddles on the bridge don't bite the string. they don't need to like the nut bites the strings at the nut. because the break at the saddle isn't lateral, they don't need a groove to hold the string to prevent lateral movement. the nut needs this groove to stop the string popping out of the nut.
2) more context on why the string path and nut binding cause a problem with tuning. what happens is when someone bends say, the g string on a les paul, increasing the tension, it slightly pulls string through the nut. say you have locking tuners on a les paul, and there's no winds of string round the tuners, then the tension on the string behind the nut would more effectively pull that slack back through the nut (given the issue described in point 1 isn't a problem). the thing is, most people have a good 2 or 3 winds of string round each tuner, with winds resting on other winds. the extra tension of bending the string can cause those winds to slightly rearrange themselves to relieve some of that tension, so when you release the bend, the winds round the tuner are tighter because they released a tiny extra length of string. you don't get this issue with the fender bridges because there are no winds of string under that bridge. it's a ball end giving it a hard stop.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa fuck off with your string wind theory. prove it

sure, let me just get a fucking grant and access to a lab, you fuckin tool.

>nut bites the strings at the nut
the nut should be cut as to not bind, what you are describing here is plain setup

>prove it
Take some basic physics courses, I bet you're still in school anyway. After that you'll get it.

so what is your basis for these claims?

Holy fuck, does my lel paul keep going out of tune because I put 11-54's on it, is this why???

It keeps going out of tune because it's an LP user.

Tune o matic bridge senpai, what tuning are you in? I had my flying v set up with 11s in C standard and it would not stay intune for shit

Any of you cunts have experience with DIY out of phase modding?

Fuck off poor fag lmao

>muh prs superior headstock angle