Thoughts on Who Built the Moon? I thought it would be terrible based on the singles...

Thoughts on Who Built the Moon? I thought it would be terrible based on the singles, but the production is great and there are lots of interesting references. It's at least a 7/10 for me and definitely most interesting Noel project since Dig Out Your Soul.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cXpYtX6iJOk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It leak? Thanks for the tip! I'm a huge Oasis fan and really like that Noel's trying something different.

It has awful production, it has a few interesting moments but never gets anywhere from there.

Best songs are Beautiful World, Be Careful What You Wish For and Love Is The Law, the rest are meh at best.

A strong 7 but the production leave a lot to be desired. The two bonus tracks sill be the best for those who are still striving for Oasis ballads

I mostly enjoyed it on that basis. Reviews from UK press have been very positive which I think has a lot to do with Oasis nostalgia and critical excitement Noel is finally doing something different. Songwriting isn't his most complex, but production carries it for me. That said, The Man Who Built the Moon is one of his best songs IMO.

What didn't you like about the production? One of the high points for me, given how bland Noel's self-production has been for so long.

I liked the production's film soundtrack feel.

Gibe link

It's on twitter

Keep On Reaching should've been the first single. Other highlights for me are the titletrack and Fort Knox

Yeah the singles choices were truly bizarre. I like the album but Noel's bizarre fixation with Holy Mountain is weird, easily worst track on the album for me.

Listened to it. Better than his last album, but still doesn't beat his first. This is basically the album Noel promised since the Chemical Brothers tracks in the late nineties. Falling Down, the last Oasis single, came close to this sound. Album's about a 9/10 for me, but I'm biased because Oasis is my favorite band.

It's not even the best song about her wife on the álbum Se Taught Me How To Fly is amazing in spite of the callback ti the dreadful track of Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

I was really surprised with how much I liked it, especially with how underwhelmed I was with the first 2 singles. 2nd half of the album is a lot stronger than the first. Definitely the best Gallagher brother album to come out this year.
>mfw I got to the title track on my first listen

>all this love for The Man Who Built The Moon
my niggas

After hearing the live versions, it's great to hear the production on this album. One of the best moments is right after the French monologue on It's a Beautiful World.

She Taught Me How to Fly actually sounds like the feeling of love. Many artists, and even Noel with Wonderwall, write about their feelings and how they care for a woman. She Taught Me How to Fly actually captures that sense of raw, untamed euphoria that love actually is

I could easily imagine these songs done in Oasis style, but I love what David Holmes has done for them.

Most of all this album is BLISSED OUT. It's in the first single: "get out of the doldrums!" That's why I spent hours on my bed as a teenager listening to Oasis. That unflinching positivity. It's the feeling I always aspire to. Noel lyrics are like personal development affirmations.

Interludes are great. Is it really Noel? Sounds like Radiohead, no matter what his opinion on them.

If Love is the Law sounds like Small Faces?

Man Who Built the Moon sounds like MGMT. Like a darker sequel to The Masterplan.

Freaky Teeth would have fit on this album. So would Falling Down, High Horse and The Right Stuff. Noel's been building to this.

Dead in the Water is another addition to the fantastic Noel acoustic compilation.

>tfw we will never live in a timeline where NGHFB s/t was produced by David Holmes instead of Dave Sardy

fuck, that album is the biggest waste of incredible songwriting. (Stranded On The) Wrong Beach sounds like it was recorded in mono with a phone left in someones pocket, and the two best sounding tracks on the album (Death of You And Me & AKA... What A Life!) were the only tracks Sardy didn't touch.

It took me a second to realize you meant Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is. Honestly I consider Giants to be Noel first
real solo record. It's a total anomaly in he Oasis canon. The only album of theirs that's angry and depressing, which reflects the changes that went on in their lives at the time. But I don't think it was a callback so much as Noel reusing the same lines, which he often does. Waiting for the Rapture on the other hand is maybe too obvious.

Anyway, She Taught Me How to Fly is my second favorite song he's written about Sara. The first is She is Love.

>Man Who Built the Moon sounds like MGMT. Like a darker sequel to The Masterplan.

interesting that you compared it to The Masterplan. I felt like it was more of a sucessor to Wonderwall and D'You Know What I Mean since it has the same chord progression. I think Dead In The Water has the same chord progression as Supersonic, it definitely sounds similar to the chorus in Noel's acoustic version he started playing a few years back.

Originally Standing on the Shoulder of Giants WAS going to be Noel's first solo record, and he had already recorded most of the instrumentals for the album with Paul Stacey (dunno about Whitey but he's barely on the final album anyway) before Liam found out and put a stop to that.

You can find Noel's original demos for the songs online and they sound fucking amazing. Roll It Over is especially great:
youtube.com/watch?v=cXpYtX6iJOk

>mfw Noel keeps holding those notes for an absurd amount of time after the solo

>Dead In The Water
fuck

Yeah, I've heard the demos before but didn't know it was only Liam coming in that stopped him. I guess Liam was afraid of being kicked aside.

>What didn't you like about the production?
There's too much going on in some tracks, adding those instrumentals (that sounded like a teenager first hip-hop beats with FL Studio). Man Who Built The Moon production is dreadful in specfic, it hurts my ears.

>virginliamvsthechadnoel.jpg

kek

Like with Chasing Yesterday it seems like a step on the right direction wrongly picked first singles both times too

FK The alarm makes these triplets that I wasn't aware until recently and I still love it as much as when i first heard it on the trailer 8/10

HM Great vibe and even better bassline, shit lyrics 5/10

KON Can you keep a secret? When Noel told that he was about to sing in his higher register for this one I tought it was going to be a novelty song, singing on falsetto for the sake of it glad 2 be wrong! More of this and less of HM next time! Love the girls singing and the sparse horns in this one 7/10 should've been the first single imho

Beau Monde Its a trance made music, with a near apocaliptic nightmare. Everything it's alright in the end 8/10

STHTF - The best song Noel has wrote about Sara, love the fx in noel's voice, dunno if is just him singing with lots of reverb or just multitracked 8/10

BCWYWF - Is noel signing capo in this faux come together intro? The piano interlude is so short but damn should've been longer a better written WFTR from the doys boxset? 6/10

BAWS - A slap in your face if you fell asleep with the 3 longer tracks on the album. Is that a string section or just a guitar? 5/10

Interlude - 4/10 a filler

ILITL If there wasn't DOTW this one would be called the 'acoustic by numbers ballad' 6/10

Moon Dark, menacing, amazing. Nice Rolling Stones references in the lyrics. The only thing that hampers this song is that the final isnt belted by Noel 9/10

End - Cute ending 7/10

DOTW - I fell in love with If I Had a Gun when that soundcheck version almost 8 years ago and this one is even better! 9/10

GHUA - It seems like Noel didnt knew what to do with it after all these years with it, glad to have it, but there isnt much more to it than we knew back then bummer 4/10

man I would love it if Noel went into the rabbit hole for the next album, with CY he saw it, on WBTM? he is standing on the edge waiting to fall.Score 7/10

Holy mountain fuckin grew on me tho. Sounds like some beach boys shit on lsd

Yall have a link?

>Nice Rolling Stones references in the lyrics

what's the reference?

Better than his first as in Definitely Maybe or High Flying Birds s/t?

HFB. Putting any album over Definitely Maybe is a tall order.

Wait, I meant my rankings are:

S/T > WBTM > CY

>album actually has good production
>doesn't go for the "lo-fi" or "raw" meme
>everyone says it has terrible production

Every time. Basically if an album has some reverb and extra instrumentation people will complain it's over-produced.

Gibe link pls

ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOLKS
ALBUM
OF
THE
YEAR

Yeah, it's stupid. It's not overproduced, just a different style. Be Here Now is overproduced.

Not as inmidiate as those two

>You and I, the spider and the fly...

I've always loved the way SOTSOG was so clear. It's a shame that this one isnt as good on a production/mixing basis, HM tires my ears out.

Do you have a source for that? Just curious about that period in their history. Also, Liam absolutely kills the vocals on SOTSOG, really glad Noel didn't put it out as a solo record.