Redpill me on making a deal with a record label

Redpill me on making a deal with a record label.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HNGXsgLRkXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The point is for them to make a profit, they aren't going to assume you can do that for them, you need to prove it.
You need to have something to offer.
You need to have a fanbase to begin with.
People only help those that can help themselves.
They aren't doing you a favor.

>you need to have a fanbase
what's the point of a record label then?

youtube.com/watch?v=HNGXsgLRkXU

For growth in size and reach.

Record labels have monopolized access to some venues and festivals. Also, obviously, if they actually decide to promote you, and do so in an effective way, they could potentially grow your fan base. But yeah, I agree. They're basically just a scam in 99% of situations.

Unless you're in a genre like techno where everything revolves around tiny labels that release mostly singles, and are tied to specific scenes and venues. Only situation I can think of where labels make sense, or actually provide a useful function in the market really.

The point of labels used to be access to record production and distribution. Modern technology has stripped them of that market exclusivity. Labels now are promotion machines more than anything else.

The record label bends you over and fucks you

Still to this day this shit goes on... maybe worse than before

Only retarded acts say this shit.
It became "cool" to hate your label, so anti-corporate dude lmao
Just read the contract before you sign shit and you won't have an issue.

My buddy had a contract with Capitol. He refused a 360 deal beause he's not an idiot and because he refused that deal, the label tagged him as a troublemaker and did whatever they could to sabotage him so he would leave his contract. They flew him and his band out to London, then ran them around for months, setting up meetings and not showing up, not returning calls, leaving them completely in the blue for weeks at a time while they're in London, spending their advance on living expenses because they label is requiring them to be there for meetings that the label then doesn't show up to. Then they tried to not pay him what they owed from the contract. Labels are absolutely exploitative and a scam. You have no idea what you're talking about.

If they aren't living up to their side of the agreement then you sue them.
It's no different to any professional relationship.

>refused a deal, but was still offered one by the label, a deal the label didn't want to offer but they still did, then sabotaged him to make him leave because the label that offered that deal didn't want him to have it, even though labels can terminate deals whenever they want
Your story sounds like bullshit.

You're an idiot. 360 deals are complete robbery and are very common. If you don't sign 360 deals you just won't be promoted. Major labels make 100% of their money off major acts, and use that money to finance everything else they do. Signing smaller bands is just a means of scouring for potential major acts. If you sign to a "corporate" label, they determine whether you have the potential to be a Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, etc., and if you don't, you'll just be used for whatever pennies you can bring in and then dumped, or locked in eternal production cycles and bullshit so they can retain the one member of your band they think has potential as a useful product, while spending the absolute minimum / doing what they can do put you in debt, to keep you in the contract.

No 360 deals and no album options

>terminate whenever they want
Not if their goal is to avoid paying out. They need to put the artist in debt first so they have leverage to terminate the contract without paying.

But that's what your signing up for.
If you don't want that then don't sign.
Don't sign then complain about it like they aren't doing what you both agreed to beforehand.

If you're this user you're defeating your own argument.
>sign to labels, it's fine, just make sure you sign a good deal
>explains why signing a good deal will not protect you
>well then don't sign to labels

... if your idea is that there's some reason to sign to a label, you're not making your point by abandoning that position.

I'm not defeating my own argument.
I'm saying if you know what you're getting into then you have no reason to complain when it happens.
It's like that movie of 30 seconds to mars made complaining about their label suing them for not fulfilling their side of the agreement, and went the entire film whinging and moaning about the nature of labels, and in the end they just signed to the same label again.
You know what labels are like, if you sign to one then you're agreeing to what they can do. so you can't complain when they do what you agreed they could in the first place.

If what you're saying now is "labels are horrible and no one should sign to them so it's stupid to complain after you sign to one" okay. But that's not what you said originally:
>Just read the contract before you sign shit and you won't have an issue.
I explained exactly why this is not true. No matter what kind of deal you sign the label will use their superior legal and monetary resources to exploit you.

uve come to the right place user

user you really need to look into the music industry, big labels are literally money hungry jews

>doing what they can do put you in debt, to keep you in the contract.

you're dead right with the rest, but this is bullshit.

record company money isn't debt, it's recoupable out of your profits. so if you incur a mountain of expenses, they can only take the money out of the intellectual property you create during your term. the longest a term can legally be is 7 years (although there's wiggle room).

no other business in the world works like the record business. you don't put any collateral up for the money they advance you, it's not a business loan.

Yeah, but they aren't retarded. They're not going to sign a band they don't want to sign

in addition, you can't legally give more than 50% of your intellectual property up to anyone- the reason for ASCAP is that a certain percentage of royalties will always go directly to you, your social security number and name. the reason this happened was because songwriters during the motown and earlier eras got absolutely raped for their rights. the creator of louis louis was in abject poverty before they tracked him down and wrote him a 20 million dollar check.