Has there ever been a movie that was falsely advertised as a genre in the trailer than what it was meant to be?

Has there ever been a movie that was falsely advertised as a genre in the trailer than what it was meant to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=02G_ANFp8Pg
youtube.com/watch?v=dmzXnw_zHdA
youtube.com/watch?v=JzYllBpl-9I
youtube.com/watch?v=vKQi3bBA1y8
youtube.com/watch?v=eX_iASz1Si8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cabin in the woods kinda

The trailers for The Mummy advertised it as a hard-R legitimately frightening supernatural-thriller.

Hacksaw Ridge

Deathpool

When Bad Santa came out there was 1 trailer that made it look like a kind of innocent christmas movie and a lot of parents took their kids to see it

There's this robert de Niro movie called everybody's fine that looked like a comedy but was some tragic drama

>trailer looks like a goofy comedy
>was actually a total snoozefest
youtube.com/watch?v=02G_ANFp8Pg

Bridge to Terabithia

World's Greatest Dad

Cruel Winter Blues

iirc spring breakers

Wes Craven's movie Cursed from 2005 was advertised in trailers as a gruesome, violent, hard-edged horror-film.

I don't know about genre, but it was kinda weird how much Shawshank advertisement/box art focused on the initial sex scene.

This.

Sweeny Todd trailer forgot to mention that the film was a musical.

Eyes Wide Shut is the funniest example.
People just wanted to see some titties.

Even Matt Damon's performance was better than Leo.

I thought the Witch was not quite as jump scary as in some trailers. Was happy with results though.

The Witch. I liked it but the horror aspect was pushed more in the trailer than how the movie actually was.

Hm, I knew it was a musical when it was coming out but I don't know why. Maybe because I usually do some research myself about movies I want to see.

Those bananas are a snake!

Popcorn.

One ad billed it as a horror flick, and the next described it as "the comedy hit of the summer"

The ads for Dan in Real Life were really misleading

youtube.com/watch?v=dmzXnw_zHdA

The movie sucks but they literally give you no idea of what to expect in the trailer

Click ;(

more like Cuck

youtube.com/watch?v=JzYllBpl-9I

It's a pleasant romantic comedy!

>trailer advertises movies as over-the-top horror
>turns out they were sharp social satires

Kangaroo Jack and Snow Dogs take the fucking cake there.
>get your kids to come see these light comedy movies featuring your favorite comedic actors and wacky talking animals
>haha, go fuck yourself

Dr. Strange trailers advertised it as good

The trailer implied it was a comedy, because it put the one, mildly funny, joke in the trailer. It was a straight up romance. No jokes to be seen.

Observe and Report

The Village
Lady in the Water

Are you fucking retarded? Who the hell doesn't know the "Sweeny Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street" musical? It's like Cats or Les Miserables.

not everyone watches your gay dance shows.

I haven't even seen Cats, but I know about it.

me and my siblings got tricked into seeing both of these in theaters :(

Kangaroo Jack. The trailer made it look like a kid's movie but ended up being a shitty adult comedy that only had the kangaroo in it for like 5 minutes. 8 year-old me was fuckin steamed.

It was a romantic comedy dude. There weren't a ton of jokes but it was funny.

Bridge to Terabithia was advertised as a Narnia-type fantasy movie for kids. It is in fact a shit boring movie set in the Midwest and is mostly about grief

Kingdom of Heaven was advertised as action adventure if I remember right.

Cyrus. Trailer made it look lighthearted but most of the movie was awkwardly tense.

Titanic was advertised as an action movie until women fell in love with it.

Did people really not read the book in school as a kid?

that Jem movie that had pretty much nothing in common with the 80's cartoon

it's been years but my friend and I both agreed that pandorum looked like a totally different film in the trailers than what we saw in theaters. it must have been reshot at the last minute, or maybe the trailer was made super early in production.

This so fucking hard.
Marketed as a comedy, turns out to be one of the most depressing movies.

fucking this.

also Crimson Peak advertised as an horror film when it was more of a dark gothic romance.

Think Frighteners was advertised like a horror film but ended up being a decent comedy.

>read The Bridge to Teribithia in middle school
>see the trailer
>what in the actual fuck is this shit?
>turns out it's still as depressing as the book

I feel bad for all the parents who thought they were just going to take their kids to a fun fantasy movie and instead they got to deal with the horrors of losing your loved ones

Bicentennial Man and Kangaroo Jack were probably the worst offenders I can think of

Bicentennial Man's ads and commercials pretty much only showed the 2 minute house scene and made it look like wacky slapstick comedy.

That was pretty bad too. The ads were basically for a 10 second scene in the movie.

I thought that was a bunch of melting bananas

Bridge to Terabithia

a lot of very pissed parents because of this movie

With Bicentennial Man I remember some part in one of the trailers where they start singing that "u-g-l-y you ain't got no alibi" song (which I don't remember being in the final movie) but I haven't been able to find any trailer on Youtube where that happens. I might have been fooled by the trailers a bit but I do remember enjoying the movie when i went to see it in theatres.

how old are you two

Birdman.

Proof?

At the very least, Bicentennial Man was good and Terabithia was alright. Being tricked into seeing good movie isn't a horribly big issue.

Kangaroo Jack is just horrible though.

What is Terabithia advertised as? What is it really?

Cabin in the Woods. Me and my mates went to see it to get spooked but came out with sore sides instead.

Fortunately, this amplified the impact and our enjoyment of the film immensely.

>advertised as
narnia harry potter lord of the rings
>what is it really
10 year old angst

Sex sells and iirc that's the only scene in the movie where there's even a woman.

Prometheus' trailer made the film out to be a straight up horror when it ended up feeling like a science fiction adventure movie.

Actually I meant "commercials" instead of "trailer"

The TV adverts made it looks like a serious and hard-edged horror film.

women wont watch a movie unless it contains at least 1 vagina.

I saw trailers for Green Zone which made it out to be an action film. They pretty much only used scenes from the last 10 minutes of the film, where the action is. Everything else is closer to a political thriller.

where can i get a pet snaek like this.

Drive tbqh

The X-Files was advertised as "smart, sexy, and very, very scary".

yeah, i thought it would be like troy but in the middle ages.

What was up with Kangaroo Jack? It's mentioned multiple times in this thread. I remember nothing because I saw it when I was like 8 or something

The talking kangaroos were a large part of the advertising and they're in the movie for like 10 seconds. So parents took their kids to see a wacky talking animal comedy and it wasn't one.

They should have been more misleading with the Cabin in the Woods stuff, the trailers showed it as having more going on.

Fuck Crimson Peak. I'm glad I only rented it. I skipped all the way to the just to be done with it.

Went in to Hero expecting nonstop wire-fu action, which there was, but it was way more of a slow burn than I was expecting. I actually fell into such a deep sleep in the theater at one point, that I woke myself up talking in my sleep. They also spoil the end of the movie in the trailer.

I also thought Pan's Labyrinth was a semi-spooky kid's movie akin to Dark Crystal or Labyrinth. Then, I actually sat down to watch it, and got to that scene where the dude gets his face caved in.

I remember reading some reviews of Pan's Labyrinth by parents that brought their kids only for it to have graphic violence and other depressing shit. Those types of reviews are always fun to read.

>They also spoil the end of the movie in the trailer.
I always thought that was weird.

>I also thought Pan's Labyrinth was a semi-spooky kid's movie
That's entirely your fault, not the ads.

that trailer was in my opinion pretty good

this

>Cabin in the Woods
>Spring Breakers
>Looper

>They also spoil the end of the movie in the trailer
That's the reason i don't watch trailers anymore, or atleast not more than a few seconds. Trailers tend to give away WAY too much nowadays

Hudson Hawk

Trailers promote an action movie when it's more a comedy.

This was intentional since musicals are harder to sell than regular movies.

That snake is bananas!

is it worth it some jerking off?

bananassss

the trailer for the matrix was fucking terrible

youtube.com/watch?v=vKQi3bBA1y8

there was a trailer for rules of attraction that made it look like some american pie type raunchy teen comedy. unfortunately nobody fell for the ruse.

I was super surprised when it turned into a slapstick comedy romp. Don't know what the marketing department was thinking

Batman V Superman advertised it as a fun action flick but in reality it's a political drama.

This is perhaps one of my favorite trailers ironically
youtube.com/watch?v=eX_iASz1Si8

This, expexted a flick American pie like, watched a Kino
Some scenes are hot

I figured it was more your classic ghost story with the big mansion and what not. It was a nice change of pace.