/who/ - Doctor Who General

Doctor Who does capeshit edition.

Will the Christmas special be as bad as it looks? Or turn out to be GOAT?

Flown up up and away

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/miZVEkic89I
mega.nz/#!tNEjVZIa!485mS6SmftMOQTX8Gj3eLCgX6nww55eCnZUuADRvIvA
twitter.com/OxfordUnion/status/795730274843787264
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

we go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

We go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

REMINDER THAT ZA IS NO LEADER!!!!!!!

>89x125

we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna - we gonna

Sorry - clicked the wrong pic

Ehhbhefdxnsbhfjb morningggg

Is that that class thing? I didn't think they'd give them costumes.

It's the kid from Dragonball Effuplution, and it's from the Christmas special.

You're yanking my chain, surely?

Surely not.

youtu.be/miZVEkic89I

I'm still not over how terrible the directing in this is.

>has the Doctor, the main character, turn his back to the camera and explain his plan
>has an important character-reveal with the villain turning around but instead of following his movement to give dynamism and follow his head he just goes BEHIND his head
>terrible New York flat panel that could have easily been made believable had the director been good
>terrible out of focus shots
>long useless shots on characters reacting to someone else talking
>has the villain show his acting skill pretending to cry to convince the police but he records from the side, we can't see shit

I'm so upset that the BBC are really obviously trying to ruin the show in order to force Capaldi to leave. he's the best thing to happen to the show in years and its all falling to shit around him. this is just like the executive meddling in the mid to late eighties. what a load of bullshit.

>nuwho dies and capaldi's remembered as the last great doctor
could be worse tbqh

How hype are you guys for the return of doctor mysterio?

>people on GB are saying its BVS: DOJ level dark
>lasered corpses
>spiderman like creatures
>Mysterio gives the Doctor a "shock of his life"
>'Is the man he's trusted so long really a hero after all? Is he even his friend?'
> "This might be where you can argue that the new approach is, for the first time, seen uncluttered by any of the old approach."
>terrible dilemma
>Moffat said the ending scene in Metropolis is his favorite scene in the Series
>Moffat said in DWM that Bendis(writer of episode) was going to stick around 'for a long time, I promise you' implying the script is GOAT
>Marvel insult in episode

Its going to be GOATER than GOAT.

THAT'S ED!

good god i leave /who/ for a few months and you're still using the same memes

We've had about one or two long lasting memes originate in this entire year

The thing is, it's like my friend Vicky

Which are?

crisps

I would call security but... they might leave you alive

Narsehole

None of you are really my friends, you just tolerate me

Not true. We don't tolerate you either, user.

maybe they would be her friend if she stopped calling them white people

If you put on a trip I might care

I love you but I know you don't

will we ever get an attractive young male companion?

I still can't believe the BALLS on these BBC cunt desu. "Here's a show we burnt... now get your wallet out for a new version, animated like Jamie and the Magic Torch." They should give us this shit for FREE, yo

It's like someone going "Yeah, sorry that you paid for that shag with Scarlett Johannsen and we didn't deliver... but to make it up to you, have a go on Cloister's mum."

I bet Cloisters mum is fine

Duane Henry.

;)

Wow, you spotted all that in a less than 3 minutes clip.

Seriously, can't Doctor Who afford good directors? Class looks way better and that must have a much lower budget

>Class looks way better
go to bed ness

Yes? I literally described what's wrong with the directing in the clip not the whole episode.

I have no idea how they manage their money. It's dreadful. I think Class may even have eaten away some of Series 10's budget.

>has the Doctor, the main character, turn his back to the camera and explain his plan

But that was the joke. He couldn't shoot them them.

I know, that's not the point I was making. He should have filmed him from the front. Not behind.

Power of the Daleks

mega.nz/#!tNEjVZIa!485mS6SmftMOQTX8Gj3eLCgX6nww55eCnZUuADRvIvA

He does.

Err....why? I don't see what difference it would make. After they've turned around, the camera viewpoint switches to the the characters' faces anyway.

You're just nitpicking now.

Am not sure of the specifics, but way Doctor Who is funded changed for series 9.

What's /who/ with you? About to watch The Robots of Death, haven't seen it in a while.
Also, when does Class finish? Decided after watching the first episode I'm just going to wait for it to finish and watch it all in one big binge.

I'm your friend, user.
Your da sells avon.
it might have looked better with a dolly shot than a cut with 2 static shots maybe?

I would live to see a pakistani-British actress in the role of the Doctor. I feel it would be good. It would give the world a chance to see another side of Muslim women, instead of what we see and hear on the news all the time. I'm really fed up with the Doctor being played by a white fella all the time.

>Also, when does Class finish? Decided after watching the first episode I'm just going to wait for it to finish and watch it all in one big binge.
In 2 weeks.

(you)

And next week is Class-lite. Focusing only on Quill and a guest cast

>1.11 GB
>Episode 1

Sheeeit nigguh I thought this was the whole serial!

Yeah, I did too before the dl finished.

Not only that, but the performances are absolutely atrocious too. I can't tell if this is down to the writing, the direction, the actors, or an unpleasant combination of the three.
>New girl dumps exposition and then, without hesitating cries "HANG ON WHY AM I TELLING YOU THE TRUTH" in complete flow of her sentence like a GCSE Drama student trying to get to the end of her lines
>Bad guy asks "What is that?" with a complete lack of concern like he's asking who farted
>Conversation between the Doctor and Girl while the audience is trying to watch something potentially cool. Girl whimpers "Super" under the sound of smashing glass, instead of saying it with any impact
>Not only that but she's also saying this while the camera shows her flinching, but there's no change in intonation
>Villain dumps info about the windows, which really would have been more impressive if he'd said it BEFORE the superhero broke them
>Mysterio's boring and overly long speech about not causing lasting harm, spoken with barely any interest
>A light shove to the chest incapacitates the bad guy

This might just be one of the most painful Doctor Who episodes to watch.

Reminder that Moffat said this upcoming Christmas special was "one of those episodes where everything seems to align and just go right, the guest cast and the director being perfectly in tune."

Just a slight mistake you made: Mysterio is actually the Doctor. The superhero is called the Ghost.

Other than that I totally agree. I only pointed the directing shit because it's Ed Bazalgette who directed The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived. Also, people wanted that girl to be the new companion, she would have been terrible. Bless Pearl.

He was right. They're perfectly in tune in being shit.

Not as painful as I expected.

Pretty sure it's down to the direction. All of his episodes have featured shit acting/weird delivery and I refuse to believe the actors were shit on 3 occasions out of 3.

>In tune
Like the Brown Note!
I'm actually so indifferent I can't tell if it's apathy or cautious optimism.

Oh right. I'll admit, I was wondering why they were talking about a ghost. This is probably a sign of how little excitement I feel for this episode. I think Hell Bent killed every single bit of optimism I was trying to maintain for Doctor Who.

Oh? Why? I thought it brought great closure to Clara.

nice fake quote

Clara had no business sticking around for series 9. But if she wasn't there, we never would have gotten Face the Raven or Heaven Sent.
But then again, those still led up to fucking Hell Bent.
Sometimes I think I'm actually dangerously close to dropping the show; I'm just in denial about it.

twitter.com/OxfordUnion/status/795730274843787264

There's literally nothing to draw anyone to watch the Christmas special, except maybe the die hard fans.

No big name guest star, no familiar characters (except for a minor one that few barely remember), an uninspiring clip.

As a die hard fan, I'll watch of course. Even bad Who is better than no Who. But am not hyped.

which episode was it that originated this meme?

you added extra

Kill the Moon.

Justin Chatwin was in Shameless. That's a popular show.
...I guess.

Michael Sheen for the 13th Doctor!

They REALLY should have went with the Wizard of Oz story with Missy as the Wicked Witch.

I'm not sure how popular or unpopular my opinion will be on /who/ but thinking about Hell Bent just makes me depressed with how it just somehow fucked up every bit of potential it had. It had a genuinely strong start, following on from the masterpiece that was Heaven Sent, with the Doctor returning to Gallifrey for the first time since the new series began, standing tall as a silent warrior pushed over the brink. Unfortunately I could see everything falling apart the moment Rassilon appeared.
>This god of Time Lords is now a feeble, crotchety old man who can't do fuck all and yells at clouds when he doesn't get his way.
>The sisterhood of Karn appear and do literally NOTHING for the entire episode. There is no narrative relevance for their presence.
>The sisterhood of Karn appearing implies Gallifrey was within travelling distance the whole time. Moffat is simply unable to stay consistent with what the Doctors did to Gallifrey in the 50th.
>Gallifrey returns with no explanation as to what the Doctors did, why it was behind the crack in the universe, how the Master escaped and why it wasn't in its original place in the universe.
>Gallifrey plot, one of the most important moments since 2005, is shoved aside for a character who already had a perfectly good send-off in Face the Raven and Heaven Sent
>The Doctor will literally do everything he hates to save this one companion, who Moffat has already made too pivotal in the Doctor's history, but not for any of the others.
>The "dark, unhinged" side of the Doctor that Moffat kept hyping up is just a guy who punches one man in the face, makes him regenerate, and then steals a TARDIS because we wouldn't want to get too edgy
>Moffat continues his trend of removing any tension or stakes over regeneration by referring to it as a Time Lord equivalent of Man Flu, once more devaluing one of the most important recurring elements of the show and trying to turn Tenant's Doctor into a laughing stock
I could keep going.

ALFRED ENOCH

Tbh RTD turned regeneration into something it should never have been.

I liked Hell Bent (krillitane me if you wish), have absolutely no problems with it. Whether or not I agree with the direction the story took, it was expertly directed, beautifully acted with some especially poignant moments, with very good production values.

As a comparison, this Christmas special clip (yes I know it's only a few minutes) appears to have none of that.

It's a very well made piece of shit.
It would definitely float.
But it's still shit.

Yes, and Moffat is making it even worse.

How?

>trying to turn Tenant's Doctor into a laughing stock

To be fair, that's not difficult.

He keeps cheapening regeneration, weakening not only Tennant's finale but every good regeneration story in the series, including 11's.

The irony is that the only time he deviated from this was in Matt Smith's last story, where he decided that regeneration should be even more bombastic and bigger than ever before in the series.

How is he cheapening regeneration?

Smith's bombastic regeneration was perfect - what ruined it was the bit that followed in the TARDIS

Calpaldi is really the closest thing to Hugh Laurie in doctor who i will ever get so i hope they dont ruin things for him.

Which fanfilm series is best?

>wanting Hugh Laurie
It's like I'm LITERALLY on reddit.

>fanfilms
Fuck off

>he doesn't support of a House Doctor

>He keeps cheapening regeneration, weakening not only Tennant's finale but every good regeneration story in the series, including 11's.
How?

you dont think that Hugh Laurie would have the kind of charisma, enthusiasm and wit to be a good doctor?

Thats mean

>wanting the mass murdering fascist cunt Rassilon to be portrayed as cool and get his way all the time

I miss when Rassilon was mysterious and all-powerful and actually interesting.

>>The "dark, unhinged" side of the Doctor that Moffat kept hyping up is just a guy who punches one man in the face, makes him regenerate, and then steals a TARDIS because we wouldn't want to get too edgy
>>Moffat continues his trend of removing any tension or stakes over regeneration by referring to it as a Time Lord equivalent of Man Flu, once more devaluing one of the most important recurring elements of the show and trying to turn Tenant's Doctor into a laughing stock
The Doctor took away 1/13th of someone's life and then tried to dismiss it like it wasn't a big deal. THAT'S the dark, unhinged side.

I'd like him to be presented as threatening, or at least someone halfway consistent with how the rest of his incarnations have been conveyed.

That would be true, if Moffat were capable of that kind of subtlety. Were Clara to protest or even so much as react then it might seem that way, but as it was, the man flu line was nothing more than a throwaway comment in keeping with the rest of Moffat's writing about regeneration. If we look at Time of the Doctor then we get the eleventh doctor scoffing about regeneration not mattering at all and how his previous incarnation was a massive cry baby with vanity issues. It's clear Moffat didn't like the direction RTD took with regeneration being akin to death, so now he's doing everything he can to undo that.

That would've been great if anyone who witnessed it seemed to give a fuck

That would've been GOAT. Hopefully Christmas 2017.

>Gallifrey plot, one of the most important moments since 2005, is shoved aside for a character who already had a perfectly good send-off in Face the Raven and Heaven Sent
You make it sound like Face the Raven and Heaven Sent were written without the knowledge that Clara would be back in Hell Bent.
They were not.
It's pretty obvious that Clara died in Face the Raven not as a final departure but as a way to set up the plot for Heaven Sent and Hell Bent, i.e. the Doctor mentally breaking, refusing to accept his friend's death and forcing everybody to play by his rules, before being resolved in the next episode where he meets the ghost of his dead friend and comes to the realization that his sorrow turned him into a monster and that he needs to move on.

>The Doctor took away 1/13th of someone's life and then tried to dismiss it like it wasn't a big deal. THAT'S the dark, unhinged side.

He's also prepared to break every rule and possibly destroy the universe, to resurrect his last companion. After spending billions of years completely alone and mourning her, dying a gazillion long, agonizing deaths.

I'd call that 'unhinged' in the extreme.