This film has been dominating the Japanese box office for the past month or so

This film has been dominating the Japanese box office for the past month or so.

How do we fix Western Animation? Why is it that only animated films like Frozen or Despicable Me see such huge returns?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
fictionpress.com/s/3206139
knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
imdb.com/title/tt5784504/
kissanime.to/Anime/Heya-Keitai/Movie?id=113736
youtube.com/watch?v=RC-9eya8Yso
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whats the movies name nigger

Keit-ai.

>This film has been dominating the Japanese box office
So it's complete trash?

'Your name'

Its basically LGBT propaganda, avoid it

Based Kermode abosolutely loved it

youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ

Needless to say its AnimeKino

>why do cultures tend to like what their own (or other similar) culture creates

This firm has dominatedo te western box office for monts and is bai now a curturar twrend

How we fix Great Japan Animation desuka?? Why is it that onry animatied firmsa rike Keit-ai or Byōsoku Go Senchimētoru see such huge returns??

~~Japan

Looks like people in Japan also like garbage.

The shinkai/comix wave movies always looks the same good but always the same
this sounds like it has the same plot as the the others too

That review is why I made this thread dude!

I just keep thinking, why is animation in the West basically just a vehicle for kids films? How many fucking talking animal films do we need before someone decides to shake things up?

Gonna go see Your Name next Saturday.

Wait, keit-ai is an actual movie?
I thought it was just a stupid Sup Forums meme

Animation in the west is just basically kids films because Disney perpetuated the idea that animation can only be for kids and families, so you can thank them for that.

I haven't liked any of Shinkai's movies, which were just generic and mediocre stuff with pretty backgrounds. What makes this one different?

The backgrounds are EVEN PRETTIER

Tbh I didn't like 5cm Per Second and haven't seen any other Shinkai films.

What is this movie even about?

Resulting in adults not going to the cinema whenever someone tries to make an adult animated film. The Aillusionist, Chico & Rita ...

>his film has been dominating the Japanese box office
Nobody cares. Go back to Sup Forums or Sup Forums.

This is a body-swapping movie, right?

Can anyone who's seen it confirm or deny if there is a sequence where the guy in the girl's body explores his new ride, squeezes his boobs etc? Thanks.

>Sup Forums
Comics and cartoons
>Sup Forums
Anime

This is a thread discussing Western cinema and animated films, this thread belongs here but nice try

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
PV: youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
EP 13: youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

>still no bluray out

I refuse on watching the DVD rip.

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

>2016
>Sup Forums memed keit-ai into #1 in MAL
>Sup Forums memed trump into office
what's next?

Are you really asking why Western animated films do well in Western box offices?

Anime has done very little to make me think otherwise.

Is this the actual plot to another movie?

It's more elaborate than most BS.

>(you)

A boy (Chris Pratt) falls in love with a girl (Jennifer Lawrence).

Unable to ask her to prom, he is gifted by a random man(Morgan Freeman) with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she wants to go down on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to his best friend (Seth Rogan), he only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After looking on facebook, he finds out that the girl he called using his Samsung Galaxy S7 edge is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this planet at all. She is the girl's robotic alien counterpart (powered by Windows 10), who has fallen in love with the MC's own robotic alien self(Powered by Linux), who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, ACTION ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of CGI.

Directed by Guillermo del Toro.

incredible

maymay magic

imdb.com/title/tt5784504/
wtf

No, animation is for kids because animation is for kids, not because Disney perpetuated that it is for kids.

Animation has always been tailored for kids, because animation doesn't have a lot of colors, it has a simply storyline and it always has characters with weird colorful hair colors so that kids can follow and recognize the characters and follow the storyline.

A child will not be able to follow a storyline of a movie for adults simply because it's too advanced for his developing brain that lacks understanding of adult social interaction, norms, etc.

Cartoons and anime are the same thing, they are for kids or mentally undeveloped/deranged adults who still can't grow up and appreciate adult entertainment, so they watch cute anime girls with purple hair or colorful ponies.

You forgot

>Sup Forums crashing a plane with no survivors

>Animation has always been tailored for kids
It has also been tailored for adults. For a long time it was the only way to bring some stories to life.

No it is not. Adults watch media with real human beings in it. Kids watch media with drawn characters since they aren't able to relate to real people and their problems.

>adult cartoons are not a thing
End your life

kek. only because japan is full of weebs

in the end you're watching a sequence of still pictures appear on a screen. whether there are real people in it or it is handdrawn/digital it really doesn't matter what age you are.

Why does anime always have the emotional maturity of a child?

How many times can Sinkai sell the same movie?
Objectively worse than capeshit.

This.

japan can only into melodrama, hence why all their films are basically just shouting.

only good japanese director is hirokazu koreeda

I mean, I'm not even angry at weebs eating that shit up, I'm just genuinely perplexed at them not noticing they're watching the same movie.

Sup Forums is going to meme Half-Life 3 into existence.

Sup Forums's going to meme their virginity out of existence.

It worked for Malick.

is it the typical sameface melodramatic weep-wank bullshit like most jap stuff?

yep badlands is the same movie as tree of life

shut up baka

can you name 2 Makoto Shinkai movies with the same story?

As long as he has different, pretty backgrounds every time it's fine.

we need to firebomb those gooks some more, if this is anything to go by

Its an anime movie about a dude becoming a teenage girl. What the Christ do you think is going to happen in it?

Don't joke. There are manchildren on this website who actually believe that.

Frozen is trash.

where do I download this

What's it about, if it is slice of life or about relationships I'm not watching it.

This.

Yes, just less pretentious.

You got me, I don't even remember them. 5 cm per second / Voices of a distant star / some previous, acceptably shorter bullshit?

I dunno animation is way more impressive and hard to do than some twat with a camera pointed at them pretending to be someone else imo

>A child will not be able to follow a storyline of a movie for adults simply because it's too advanced for his developing brain that lacks understanding of adult social interaction, norms, etc.
Stop projecting, faggot.

Honestly though, I can't tell his last 3 movies apart

Japanese animation in the 80s and 90s could rightly be said was made, in a lot of cases, for adults. You can't say that now. All Jap anime is geared towards that 16-25 demographic who refuses to grow up, because that's what is commercially viable.

And Western animation doesn't need to change, it makes fuck-huge returns on investment. Why? Because the audience for cartoons in the West is families. The last time it wasn't was in the 80s, when things like Heavy Metal were around, which coincidentally was the same era when Japanese anime was more mature.

Jap animation is now dominated by moe trash and Western animation is dominated by family crap because that's what sells.

You're not going to get an art-house Western cartoon that does well anymore than you're ever going to get a Japanese anime that doesn't involve teens, high school, or magic-fucking-crystals.

Here you go, senpai.

kissanime.to/Anime/Heya-Keitai/Movie?id=113736

It is if you're mentally deranged/undeveloped, as I've already said.

No, in the end I'm watching real people interacting with real people, no cartoon will ever be able to convey information the same way real world actors do.

STOP FOLLOWING ME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's sci-fi/romance and in a weird way, more of what Doctor Strange should've been in terms of space-time mindfuckery.

This is from the same guy who started with Voices of a Distant Star, something he created almost entirely on his own with no budget and was literally about two people whose messages to each other became more and more distant as one of them on a starship traveled further away from earth until they were literally waiting years.

>the medium is more important than the content

This site is 18+

>i have 0 reading comprehension
This site is for people who can read.

the medium is the message

there is no denying that the obsession with cartoons for nerds is mostly because they're a simple, attractive, 2D version of real life where they can't get hurt

Unfortunately this
As long as generic 3D animated family features with big stars and moeshit continues to sell the animation industry won't ever change

>LGBT

dafuq?

NOT A FILM

>they're a simple, attractive, 2D version of real life where they can't get hurt
No, that's just your perception having only watched animated films specifically made for children.

Shit, even some of Miyazaki's films have some pretty grim shit in them.

>This is from the same guy who started with Voices of a Distant Star
I know who he is, I avoid his work because it makes me feel like crap.

>It's sci-fi/romance

oh wow how original. does it also have giant robots? If you unironically like this shit you need to kys

Fuck you, it's a film, you know what not a film, Batman vs superman.

no you're misunderstanding

the general entertainment factor of animated show/films is that you are believing these lines on paper are actual human beings. Less ugly and knotty, way more simple

that's just the way it is

oh oh let me guess! the giant robots are piloted by awkward teenagers!

I fucking anime so goddamn much

By your reasoning, Painting is also only for children or mentally underdeveloped adults.

no its different because paintings don't have narratives that are an idealised version of real life and aren't designed as commercial products to invest yourself in as escapism

Yep. It's just a meme.

>Painting is also only for children or mentally underdeveloped adults.

not going to get an argument from me

>paintings don't have narratives that are an idealised version of real life

Please be trolling.

>anime is art

pls be trolling

>robots

No.

Oh wait, you wanted (You)s didn't you?

Does this (You) tantalize you?

It's anime kino.

there's a difference between the simplicity and idealism in a de goya painting and the seductive commercial simplicity of a moe anime, yeah?

If ameriican cartoons are your definition of 'western animation' of course you are going to find nothing but American pig-disgusting shit. There is much more going on in the western world beyond the United States of Israel.

youtube.com/watch?v=RC-9eya8Yso

Fuck off you fucking faggots.

Sure but not all animation is moe anime. I don't like it either, but trashing the whole medium because you don't like a certain genre, is borderline retarded.

This.

but the same appeal that moe anime has is just an extreme example of the commercial products I'm talking about. that example is just the most insidious and sad so I used it. the appeal is the simplicity and escapism.

> trashing the whole medium because you don't like a certain genre, is borderline retarded.