Pharoah Sanders

What does Sup Forums think of this sexy beast (aka Pharoah Sanders)

Jazz for rockists

Came here to warn you about rockist-jazz posters, but I was too late.
Leave before they force you to listen to their pre-war jazz and dixieland

He's what happens when you try to play like Coltrane but never bother to actually get good at the saxophone

No true jazz fan respects him.

jazz for singer-songwriters that pretend to like experimental music

he's awesome, ignore the contrarians

What jazz experience do you even have? Have you ever been thought by anyone remotely educated in the field of music? Do you think your little sad comment "he's awesome" is good enough? Do you think superficial "Afrocentrism" and "spiritualism" makes music worthwhile?

>four comments saying he sucks
>one comment saying he's good
and yet the ones saying he sucks are the contrarians...

/thread

Someone finally put it into words.

What jazz experience do you have? Holy autism.

Coltrane took him under his wing. Hence the "son" of the school of Coltrane. Coltrane obviously respected his playing enough to hire him. Fuck out of here with that nonsense.

If you aren't black and didn't grow up playing jazz in clubs in philly, Chicago, New York, DC, or NOLA you have no jazz experience.

If you weren't alive in the 1920's you have no jazz experience. Just admit it.

Pharaoh took John's original concept and took it to outer space, no harm no foul

>PS Pharaoh has the better albums

>What does Sup Forums think of this sexy beast (aka Pharoah Sanders)
Proto WE WUZ
He is better than Bernie Sanders

>Pharaoh took John's original concept and took it to outer space
He merged the concepts of both of his mentors: Coltrane and Sun Ra.

>Coltrane took him under his wing. Hence the "son" of the school of Coltrane. Coltrane obviously respected his playing enough to hire him. Fuck out of here with that nonsense.
Coltrane was a great player but didn't always have good taste. Particularly in his later years.

I wound't trust on any opinion about jazz on Sup Forums. It's filled with clueless drones.
Somebody once posted that Kamasi Washington only uses pentatonic scales and everybody took it for granted.

>Coltrane was a great player but didn't always have good taste. Particularly in his later years.
this. he started falling for the free jazz spirituality meme

You're a fucking retard. Jazz for rockists would be fusion. He's the pleb version of Coltrane.

>he started falling for the free jazz spirituality meme

No it's that he feel in love with a crazy woman and his brain was turned to mush.

*would't

Him and Coltrane are my fav jazz artists, copping a Pharoah Sanders shirt soon hopefully.

>There are still jazz fans in England who believe it isn't jazz unless it sounds as if it were recorded on Vocalion in 1926. There are still lots of jazz fans--one of them used to write me intemperate letters--who believe jazz ended with the big bands. Some of these (my correspondent included) are critics, and if you peruse the jazz journals you can find them still, gushing over the latest Woody Herman record and fulminating against bebop; BS&T tries but Ornette Coleman is a poseur and Bird lives only to torment the faithful. There is no reason why a similar myopia shouldn't overtake rock and roll, although rock and roll does seem to hang in there as a popular music. Even now, however, there are cliques that support various rock and roll's historical periods (rhythm and blues, mid-'60s punk) and put out mimeographed journals like a bunch of Trotskyites. We professional critics, of course, put on our shows of eclectic enthusiasm, but sometimes I suspect we're not much better. We'll be saying nice things about the spirit of rock and roll when the spirit of rock and roll belongs in an airplane hanger at the Smithsonian Institute.

>Pharoah Sanders shirt
cringe

>Somebody once posted that Kamasi Washington only uses pentatonic scales and everybody took it for granted.
No it wasn't that he only plays pentatonic scales. It was that he only plays one or two scales per solo and somebody posted actual transcriptions to prove it.

don't get into it with a Kamasi and Pharoah fan, they don't know of what they speak. Their brains are to small to understand actual jazz.

I used to like but I stopped because this board told he wasn't cool anymore.

I have honestly jerked off to the climax in elevation.
One of the weirdest, yet best faps i ever had.

t. never touched an instrument in his life