Microtonal Chord Progressions in 24 EDO for songwriting

youtube.com/watch?v=hlByB6jDfvQ

This piece consists of two parallel equal temperaments (A440Hz and its -50cents one) . Therefore it's 24EDO with 2 different 12 EDO scales. Let's see how quarter tone /microtonal step chord progressions go.
Use microtonal chord progressions for your everyday songwriting!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g3yj6u44Y9w
youtube.com/watch?v=gaX5AzpZ1uw&t=27s
youtube.com/watch?v=odTIoRzbDhA
youtube.com/watch?v=aRw9fCQIn6Q&ab_channel=dolomuse
youtube.com/watch?v=D0BsgJxw208
youtube.com/watch?v=4X6MbU19eSc
ilevens.bandcamp.com/album/transmitter
youtu.be/shcrw2vtmJU
soundcloud.com/lois-lancaster/abraco-de-afogado_mavila
soundcloud.com/morphosyntax-1/kosma-jumis-lul
youtube.com/watch?v=xghdzV1Qo_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=_63Cc6vPFVI
vocaroo.com/i/s0yBhLRBRVgY
youtube.com/watch?v=n36eCAoIa4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=tDroa5WTU34
sevish.bandcamp.com/album/harmony-hacker
acreil.bandcamp.com/album/acheiropoietic-ans-tze
besaxung.bandcamp.com/
horselords.bandcamp.com/album/interventions
redricksultanband.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=cY3Jn5twwSA
youtube.com/watch?v=60SYLdMYvcE
youtube.com/watch?v=NnPK-755VAU
youtube.com/watch?v=VXDxNI8NkdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=81XMr6eieGY
youtube.com/watch?v=B9WPfkXQa_Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

can this be called microtonal music?

quarter tones are fucking stupid.

you want a quality EDO, look at 19tet and 31tet, they have ratios closer to the harmonic series.

It's just pretencious music with a lot of unnecesary tension and illogic use of tonality.

I guess its Jazz-influenced.
Do you think Jazz is just pretencious music with a lot of unnecesary tension and illogic use of tonality?

>ratios closer to the harmonic series
doesn't make it better than 16tet
16 a best

yes

E7 -50 to Eflat diminished was a super cool sound
1:04

wow I thought it sounded pretty cool but I guess I was just being pretencious the whole time

12+17EDO from the same composer
youtube.com/watch?v=g3yj6u44Y9w

Don't worry, what looked pretentious doesn't do so in a different culture.

Microtonal Production - Ben Levin

youtube.com/watch?v=gaX5AzpZ1uw&t=27s

>tonality
gooby pls

Why nobody makes music like this?
It’s microtonal but never dissonant. Pretty innovative solution to go beyond 12TET.

>16tet

never heard of 16tet, are you thinking of 15 or 17? and yeah, 19 and 31 are better, you can play anything you can play in 12tet and it modulates well ala bach.

Really you can find a use for any equal temperament starting at 5 equal. The popular ones like 31 are the most flexible but all of them have useful intervals

But I'd agree that 24 equal is overrated for its limited usefulness; it adds a couple interesting intervals but doesn't improve on the shortcomings of 12 equal.

this is 16 equal
youtube.com/watch?v=odTIoRzbDhA

plenty of microtonal music isn't dissonant

youtube.com/watch?v=aRw9fCQIn6Q&ab_channel=dolomuse

god this sounds cool

maj7 sounds nice only in 12 and 24EDO?

Very attractive. Sounds like Isao Tomita.

this is cool too

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana (full album)
youtube.com/watch?v=D0BsgJxw208

this guy knows what's up. whats the point of building off an already flawed tuning system?

>another video from the same channel
youtube.com/watch?v=4X6MbU19eSc

Is this a joke though?

LOL

>microtonal blues.

Eh I'll reluctantly fund it

I'll only get excited when someone comes up with a system of microtonal polypony a la Fux but accurate down to 1 cent

Its about chord progressions. never polyphony

they're all flawed but also all useful

the problem with 24 equal is mainly that it isn't different enough from 12 equal

you pretty much have to make up your own rules for every temperament; there are going to be scales and relationships that are specific to that temperament only

omg you guys are so intelligent

Brendan Byrnes has a new album
ilevens.bandcamp.com/album/transmitter

Is this also a joke?
youtu.be/shcrw2vtmJU

I think he just sometimes does weird shit for the sake of it. It's not like everything has to be super serious.

16EDO also sounds really cool if you use mavila temperament (5 shorts steps and 2 long instead of the other way around).
soundcloud.com/lois-lancaster/abraco-de-afogado_mavila
soundcloud.com/morphosyntax-1/kosma-jumis-lul

Microtonal polyphony exists.
youtube.com/watch?v=xghdzV1Qo_Y

Cool

What is the best way to make microtonql music on my computer, do i need special software or can i just use a vst

it depends, sometimes you can program a temperament in the VST - either by tuning each note of the octave or using key scaling. Or you can use controller data like polyphonic aftertouch to change pitch

it's still a pain, unfortunately. The MIDI standard really isn't a good fit for this kind of thing

I have good news for you user

eh not really

This thread is a perfect example of Sup Forums's autism.

No one fucking listens to garbage like this. No one but you cares about this theoretical bullshit. Wow, you can make dissonant irritating atonal music. So can literally anyone banging on a keyboard. It isn't intellectual, it's just fucking autistic and socially unaware.

This is why cucks like you are on the side studying theories, while 80IQ rappers are making millions of dollars rapping about drugging white women.

t.redpilled soyboy

Ooh, we're so scared we aren't fucking random bitches we don't care about and becoming successful with impressionable children. Oooh, he called us "cuck" too and that hits a sensitive spot for us

t. stem major

no, you're retarded, sorry

a STEM major would be smarter than that, one would hope

I mean William Sethares is one of the most prominent microtonal theorists and he's a professor of electrical engineering. Wendy Carlos studied physics.

right, let me fix that

t. stem major who finds pride in studying what his parents want him to

made me very sad

post good microtonal music
youtube.com/watch?v=_63Cc6vPFVI

(checked)
based comment

Thanks

xen-arts my guy
vocaroo.com/i/s0yBhLRBRVgY

Not very interesting use of the microtones.
Hes just modulating some of the chords form existing 12EDO chord progressions as whole in a way that doesn't make too much sense. He could instead explore the different harmonic and melodic properties of the 24EDO.

youtube.com/watch?v=n36eCAoIa4Y

I don't really think his aim is to use microtones interestingly. Maybe its more about exploring the slightness of chord progressions of 12TET and that will mean a lot for many normal musicians.

with Sytrus you can easily do equal temperaments

that's the thing that seem to go over the head a lot of people when they discuss microtonal music- there's no obligation to use it in one way or another, there's no right or wrong way to do it. there's very little in the way of established theory, so you decide for yourself what's interesting or what sounds good

>there's no obligation to use it in one way or another, there's no right or wrong way to do it. there's very little in the way of established theory
exactly as much as there isn't for "non-microtonal" music

right, but people often have some sort of inappropriate expectation of what microtonal music is supposed to sound like

>people discussing music beyond "I like" and "I don't like" or shitposting
>WAAAH STOP IT I DON'T GET IT AUTISM REEE VIRGINS STOP IT

Pure music always comes from autism.

yfw pretencious becomes the next hot Sup Forumsme

Ben Levin is a cool dude

Yes. He's doing the same approach of this usage of microtones in that video

Wyschnegradsky is the king of quartertones

youtube.com/watch?v=tDroa5WTU34

he's so underrated

Anyone have any accessible xenharmonic music other than the King Gizzard album and stuff by Brendan Byrnes?

I'd rather buy a microtonal instrument, not good at math

sevish.bandcamp.com/album/harmony-hacker
acreil.bandcamp.com/album/acheiropoietic-ans-tze
besaxung.bandcamp.com/
horselords.bandcamp.com/album/interventions

I think these are the most active and interesting people doing microtonal music now, at least out of the ones who are releasing albums.

pretty good

Ah thanks!!

Try Redrick Sultan. I think they're mostly 19EDO, but the microtonality is often so subtle you might not notice it if you're not looking for it.
redricksultanband.bandcamp.com/

Is there any singer singing microtonal piano ballads like this?

I'm going sick help. Stop

Aleksi Perala makes some pretty great microtonal pure techno.

microtonal pop song...........
Love you to cover - Beatles
youtube.com/watch?v=cY3Jn5twwSA

he's a weirdo numerologist though

youtube.com/watch?v=60SYLdMYvcE

nice and spacy

This desu.

I like atonal sounds in my music but I saw this thread and spotted the neckbeards from a mile away.

Whats sad is that in the long run everyone in this nuance of experimental music isn't really concerned about actually breaking boundaries. They're stuck in theory and trying to emulate. This applies to most experimental genres actually.

microtonal doesn't mean atonal, genius

>Whats sad is that in the long run everyone in this nuance of experimental music isn't really concerned about actually breaking boundaries. They're stuck in theory and trying to emulate.
complete nonsense

>DUDE
>SHIT ON PURPOSE
>LMAO
pic related, it's all of you

>doesn't understand anything about tuning or temperaments
>thinks he has good reason to dismiss it anyway
pls

>I can't appreciate art or ideas at all
well that's cool but maybe you shouldn't be on this board

go listen to a waltz, they aren't written in 4/4, it'll blow your fucking worthless mind

>hurr hurr 12 tones is enough for me, I refuse to learn about or understand anything else
well that's cool but maybe you shouldn't be on this board

go listen to a waltz, they aren't written in 4/4, it'll blow your fucking worthless mind

youtube.com/watch?v=NnPK-755VAU
youtube.com/watch?v=VXDxNI8NkdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=81XMr6eieGY

His crazy numerologist shit kind of disappoints me, the pitches here are pretty much arbitrary (or at least not derived from anything meaningful). I won't say that's totally invalid, but it's not really the best way to represent microtonal music.

I was hoping he was joking about it but apparently he's totally serious.

Post bad microtonal music

I really can't deal with Alois Hába

just search Bandcamp

good post

probably easy to control with software like max/msp or puredata

The nice thing about those is that MIDI note numbers are floating point, not just limited to 0 to 127. You can have as many different pitches as you want.

DUDE
SICK
RIFFS

>it's been more than 80 years and nobody has even come close to Wyschnegradsky in microtonal music
is it really this hard to make pretty music with microtones?
youtube.com/watch?v=B9WPfkXQa_Y

that's kind of a weird definition of pretty, maybe you should try Harry Partch and Julián Carrillo

nice recommendations, thanks