I just came back from this film, and I nearly cried at the end. Definitely top 5 of the year

I just came back from this film, and I nearly cried at the end. Definitely top 5 of the year.

where were you when abbott was death process

the aliens were top tier cuties

It's practically a perfect movie. Easy 9/10.

in the back of a movie theatre drowning myself in booze

This made me sad.

was arrival the swiss army man of 2016?

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOONTAAAAAAAAGE

I had cries in my eyes but they didn't actually fall down my face

Best фильм of 2016. Holy.

How is it good? the bow guy didnt even shoot anyone.

Why have him in his own movie if it didnt even show him either get his powers or show the reason for him joining up with Fury

Am I getting memed on? The movie went from the struggles of communication with aliens to seeing the future bullshit.

It was always about a cycle of time bruh. Communication was just an avenue to get there.

I felt nothing.
Mostly because the writing was mediocre. As soon as she said "Come back to me, come back to me" to her babe I knew something was up, then she said it again when her kid later died I rolled my eyes fucking hard. Not to mention that ending was asspull as fuck, they built everything up then it ends out of nowhere. It rips a ton of thematic elements from Interstellar.

But really none of that matters, what matters is that there's no critical redeeming aspect to the movie: nothing that really made me think. I didn't actually hate it, I liked it, but I think it's also forgettable as fuck.

well he was a scientist first then he lost his kid and after that he left her and started taking up archery. After becoming the best archer he joined the avengers

So the aliens went to Earth just to teach the girl their fortune cookie language just to warn them that the chinks are going to try and kill them?

I finally get it now.
this movie being good is a meme

fucking terrible movie

Loved the movie, but I broke down laughing when the guy scientist made that cheesy line about the most surprising thing about that ayys being that he met the grill scientist and then the "do you want to make a baby" line. I could see the first one coming and I laughed at it for being bad, but I laughed at the second one for being incredibly out of place.

This. They were moe as fuck.

No, the aliens went to Earth to teach them their language to give them a more nuanced view of time so that they could progress to the point where they could help the aliums 3000 years in the future. This is directly stated in the movie.

They taught us their language so we could have the tools necessary to help them out in 3000 years. The book goes into more detail but the aliens comprehend things differently and are confused by concepts we find simple. So they need us to help them out like they helped us.

This. BvS and SS trolling got stale so they moved on to this.

I disagree. "Do you want to make a baby" was a good line, there were a ton of cheesy ones but I actually liked that one. They're both socially awkward scientists, I could easily see either of them using it.

Does the short story have the same name as the movie? I want to read it now.

I don't think it's trolling. People can like the movie. The DC shit was way more virulent than this.

That's a pretty thoughtful criticism.

That one was out of place. They had it play over when they were hugging in Montana rather than when they were at their house, so it made it look as if he was asking her then and there.

>"so what happens now?"
>"They Arrive™"

The book is "Story of your Life" by Ted Chiang. It's only like 30 some odd pages.

If they can see the future why would they need to teach humans anything

so what did you guys think I'm thinking about watching this now

saw the trailers at the cinema I thought this was going to be a mary sue movie

but amy adams is cute so I think i'll tolerate it for her

They don't see the future. There is no past, present, or future to them. They know they'll be in trouble in 3000 years and the humans will help them out then, but only if they've been given the language which allows humans to see the universe as they do

They don't see the future as the future, for one thing. They sort of live their whole lives as one thing and don't just go from beginning to end. Seeing their "future" won't help their problem, but they know that they helped humanity in the "past" and that humanity would grow to help them 3000 years down the line. Imagine if you could see the future in which you were about to get hit by a bus but somebody pulls you away after you told them that you would get hit by a bus at that exact point in time and their presence is only because of you telling them that. The heptapods are the person that was going to get hit by the bus, and humanity are the people that saved/will save them.

Not exactly a Mary Sue movie. I'd recommend a watch.

sweet will watch this coming week then

What a shitty remake. No Charlie Sheen and they didn't have that weird ball thing.

Stick with the orignal. 2/10. Not worth your time.

scientists are awkward as fuck.

"Do you want to make a baby" is totally the sort of thing they would think is hot pillowtalk.

Also, like, I don't know how you can have a tipsy Amy Adams holding a half empty glass of red giving you "fuck me" eyes and not completely lose your mind.

Its another
>Pretty good scifi movie with broad themes and a positive message gets picked apart by angry nerds on the internet because they can never be happy episode

I weep for all the idiots who think this movie is smart

>Do you want to make a baby being awkward

Maybe you don't understand that that wasn't him asking her if she would like to have sex, but them as a couple discussing if they would like to become parents at some point.

I know what it was, but they played the audio clip over the part where they're hugging in Montana (pre couple) so it seemed odd.

put down the fedora and put your hands behind your head