/classical/

Mahler edition

>General folder. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes Bach and Mozart subfolders
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>Debussy Folder: Recordings of Debussy's most important/famous works
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera folder: Construction in progress. Features recorded productions of various operas
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Renaissance Folder
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gF-TmWzIpFI
youtube.com/watch?v=biOKZdAmgkA&ab_channel=Dolphincat613
youtube.com/watch?v=O6l_0BQnBsU
youtube.com/watch?v=WUBNwORdR9E
youtube.com/watch?v=qD5TBOnfphc
youtube.com/watch?v=hsHbXQ_8zxg
youtube.com/watch?v=qa_13xMhjkg
youtube.com/watch?v=W2U70UyUUuA
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eks6UTTMs
youtube.com/watch?v=_3m4dyZVORc
youtube.com/watch?v=y2c1XjcKLxs
youtube.com/watch?v=W_bQBSl42UU
youtube.com/watch?v=CoNHgb-VIyM
youtube.com/watch?v=6c664bnHKMM
youtube.com/watch?v=zr8J6x2uMZE
youtube.com/watch?v=D1xJzRo1-qs
youtube.com/watch?v=IPdmzLutnjs
youtube.com/watch?v=5FNXecxprL0
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw
youtube.com/watch?v=8vwuSNQT2Rg
u.lewd.se/ZoUCBI_20CharlesRosenInterview.opus
youtube.com/watch?v=a73KRfiDOsc
youtube.com/watch?v=v9LPjvekme8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(music)
youtube.com/watch?v=nuqcHToDSQY
open.spotify.com/user/nickmanley95/playlist/2JhVPIuaRc9vMGQn20OGcL
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shostakovich

youtube.com/watch?v=gF-TmWzIpFI

Nice. Thanks, OP.

I'm an accordion conservatory student and I have to arrange a piece for accordion solo/chamber ensemble that includes accordion. Last year my teacher made me work on "in the steppes of asia central". Do you have any recommendation?

Did Shostakovich skip every lesson on how not to modulate like a barbarian?

Can we have an audio file of that? Sounds fun. As to recommendations, how bout something from mussorgsky's pictures at an exhibition?

>end of a long work
>second last movement is grave
>last is allegro

Bach
youtube.com/watch?v=biOKZdAmgkA&ab_channel=Dolphincat613

youtube.com/watch?v=O6l_0BQnBsU

youtube.com/watch?v=WUBNwORdR9E

Vivaldi

youtube.com/watch?v=qD5TBOnfphc

Just heard Dmitri Hvorostovsky died. RIP
youtube.com/watch?v=hsHbXQ_8zxg

Sad day
youtube.com/watch?v=qa_13xMhjkg

The call that saved /classical/

checked

I saw mahler 5 at the DSO about a month ago. was a great performance, david cooper on principal horn, who recently won the position of principal in the berlin philharmonic.

P E T Z O L D

nice

how do I into underrated mozart

>those digits

>it's real

holy shit

at least he won't be missed as a Mussorgsky interpreter

Mozzart

youtube.com/watch?v=W2U70UyUUuA

I have Kempff's set of Schubert piano sonatas. Are there any meme pieces that I could start with?

D 845

Symhpony in D - Juan Crisóstomo de Arriaga
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eks6UTTMs

Symphony No.4 ''The Cycle' - Peter Mennin
youtube.com/watch?v=_3m4dyZVORc

''For Valour'' overture - Havergal Brian
youtube.com/watch?v=y2c1XjcKLxs

Symphony No.8 - Pedro Vilarroig
youtube.com/watch?v=W_bQBSl42UU

Shostakovich's music for USSR anthem:
youtube.com/watch?v=CoNHgb-VIyM

cancer

I like it. Especially the loud symbol crashes near the end.

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=6c664bnHKMM

Folder #2 seems to be having some problems

>that interpretation

anime baroque-poster btfo

>its another NAXOS copyright claim episode

Is there a Schubert folder? Want to get started on him.

youtube.com/watch?v=zr8J6x2uMZE

What's up with CPE bach 'flute concerto' and 'cello concerto' in A minor?
Did somebody just decided to use the flute instead of the cello?
Preferences?

Fucking retard.

>Bach stole from Telemann
>so did his son
youtube.com/watch?v=D1xJzRo1-qs
youtube.com/watch?v=IPdmzLutnjs

hmm this general isn't very friendly.
I'm sorry for asking, I just couldn't find any information online.

Kill yourself.

What the hell is going on in this thread?

quints happened

Soler

youtube.com/watch?v=5FNXecxprL0

It's spelled cymbal, dumb-ass.

>not knowing they're all based on a folk melody
Pleb.

Proof?
Thought so, retard.

Second link is unavailable. It is just me?
>General folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes Bach and Mozart subfolders

folder 2 is kill

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=8vwuSNQT2Rg

Czeched like Smetana

saw this at NY Philharmonic in Sept
>dat brass

>mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
lucky - wish I lived somewhere with great orchestras

NY Phil is a great orchestra but the acoustics at their hall are ass, if it's any consolation

Wow - that surprises me; you'd think NYP would be playing somewhere fantastic

I thought they played at Carnegie?

>Carnegie
According to wiki they play at David Geffen Hall, and moved from Carnegie in the 60s

Rosen interview about Hofmann

u.lewd.se/ZoUCBI_20CharlesRosenInterview.opus

Ritter

youtube.com/watch?v=a73KRfiDOsc

>there will never be another pianist like Hofmann

youtube.com/watch?v=v9LPjvekme8

>implying Telemann didn't freely share his art and ideas with one of his best friends and his godson

What does it mean for a song to be in "A Major" or "B Minor?"

Its the key the song is in.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(music)

>What does it mean for a song to be in "A Major" or "B Minor?"

Wait wait wait
I just have even more questions

How do I know the scales for each thing? Like B minor.
What the hell is the circle of fifths

Actually curious

Explain yourselves you fucking anachronistic dweebs

You are not ready, initiate.

every major scale has the same order of whole steps and half steps and likewise for minor scales
Major scale: WWHWWWH
Minor scale: WHWWHWW
you can derive all of them from this

circle of fifths can probably be better explained via google but basically you start at c major and go up a fifth and get g major. c major has no sharps or flats and g major has 1 sharp. go up another fifth and you get d major with 2 sharps. then a major with 3, etc.
starting from c major and go down a fifth you get f major with 1 flat. then go down again to get b flat major with 2 flats. etc

>anachronistic dweebs
Keys, Scales and the circle of fifths are heavily used in all modern music, especially the popular music you already listen to.

We're not anachronistic because classical music is timeless. Music theory certainly isn't anachronistic - as show by the same fundamentals or music being used 300 years later.

Fucking retard.

*shoves you*
Heh, harden up, kiddo.

youtube.com/watch?v=nuqcHToDSQY

Help a /k/ommando out, Sup Forums.
I have a classical music playlist with about 70-80 or so songs on it. Like 50 of them come from one album the London Philharmonic Orchestra put out. It has some great stuff that I love, but it's not enough.
I would really like to expand this playlist, but there were so many people who had huge volumes of work that I don't know where to start.
Recommend some pieces to add, or some artists to search through, please.
Help a /k/ommando find more beauty in pure music that I can clean all my guns to.
Here is the playlist for reference.
open.spotify.com/user/nickmanley95/playlist/2JhVPIuaRc9vMGQn20OGcL

Ultimate theory of music. It is the only one worthy of a philosopher. Let's start with tempo, and explain why slower music is bound to be worse. Because there's not much complexity in it, since not much happening in it, sonically, at any given moment (this is what it means for music to be slow). Also, better music needs more instruments, again due to complexity, ergo Sinatra is inherently inferior. Sinatra is pop music of the '50s and the '60s, the Britney Spears of his time. Early rap in fact, lol, since his voice is essentially the entire band, dominating to such an extent it may as well be rap. The same with many signers of that era, e.g. Bing Crosby, etc. That's why we talk of singers of that era instead of composers or bands, just like with rap artists. So at one end of the spectrum, at full speech articulation, you have a guy talking really fast, with either no music at all or a simplistic and repetitive background tune to avoid taking attention away from the fast-talker, and at the other end you have opera, where articulation is so faint that the singer can barely be said to be speaking, and where his voice is almost an extra instrument which no one can even understand what it is saying (which is where the libretto comes in).
Moving on to theme, the ultimate genre of music is heavy metal, and especially its epic variety, fittingly also called power metal (Nietzsche would have loved this label, for obvious reasons). To make epic music you need an epic subject. Pop starlets sing about kissing boys and Eminem about his mother popping pills — not exactly subjects that anyone could write operas about, if you see my meaning. So how complex could the music to such petty experiences get? If if did get complex, it would clash with the simplicity of the feeling it is trying to convey, so the end result would still be inferior.

>slower, simpler tunes are inferior
>there is not as much beauty in The Swan as in Vivaldi's Four Seasons because The Swan is slower

>Moonlight Sonata sucks ass compared to Eine Kleine Nachtmusik because it utilises only one instrument

And finally, there is length. Pop music must by its very nature be brief, since it is so simplistic and repetitive that if it went on for more than a few minutes even its braindead fans would get bored of it. Also, domination of lyrics precisely for the benefit of unmusical people. No lyrics in classical music because it is music. Music is supposed to convey its meaning via melody, which of course must be interpreted for the message (=feeling) to be received, but peasants don't have the attention span or subtlety for that, ergo lyrics are introduced to literally tell the peasants the meaning. Wherever lyrics are introduced they dominate in the listener's ear, to the detriment of the music, because their meaning is easier to interpret. Least dominant in opera, out of all the lyrical forms, which is why opera can be pretty good music. Utterly dominant in rap, which is why rap features such shitty music, usually even stolen from a catchy pop tune, since rappers can't even be bothered to compose anything. Also, lyrics tire you out due to the intensity of the spoken word. Even if Blind Guardian singer Hansi Kürsch could write a song that went for an hour, 1. He wouldn't be able to sing it, 2. His audience would be so tired in the end that they'd feel as if they came out of a lecture hall that, besides the lecture, also blasted heavy music at them for an hour. But it is not only the music that degenerates with the addition of lyrics, but also vice versa, since the requirements of the melody — such as it is, in pop music — constrain the lyrics too, condemning them to simplicity and repetitiveness. I mean, it's not like you can deliver an interesting lecture via song lyrics, which would at least have kept the listeners entertained, so childish, repetitive stuff only, and since repetitive they must be kept brief — which is how we went from hour-long symphonies to three-minute pop songs.

TL;DR

This just confirms the stereotype that metalfags are the worst

Do you get off of being retarded on the internet?

I ask for help in discovering new classical music to listen to and you clutter up the fucking thread with your insufferable bullshit.
Are you actually retarded, or are you just pretending?

Bumping for some help with
All suggestions are appreciated

Sorry Nick, I don't use spotify so can't see your playlist.

Search for some music by the composers on pic related and see what you like

That's a pretty good introductory list - a lot of good choices imo. First thing you should do is to find your favourite movements on there that are from bigger works and then listen to the full works. e.g Try listening to Dvorak's 9th symphony in full and not just the second movement - or all of Beethoven 5/Mozart's 40th/Carnival of the Animals. Some of the tagging of the composers on that list isn't very clear which is unfortunate.

Other than that, just look up 'famous pieces by x;' x being the composers on that list you like the most. Don't worry too much about which orchestra is playing or whose conducting, unless you particularly like a piece and feel compelled to listen to multiple interpretations to find out what one you like the most. Try out some of the pieces in the OP link too, look in the Baroque, Classical and Romantic folders.

Also, try listening to your local classical radio station to find new artists.

I only agree that slower minimalist pieces are not as engaging/interesting as those at faster tempi

Anyone like my work?

I don't know if it's because I'm a pleb but Die Walkure is boring as

Picture saved. Thank you
Sounds like solid advice. Screenshotted so I won't forget, thanks!

Listen to some of the Flying Dutchman. Very easy to get in and listen to a few arias

Pieces you have nutted to?

Very much.

What's wrong with his modulations? Or should I say, what's not to like about them?

>ctrl+F "praise be to our Lord and Savior Messiaen, for his name sounds vaguely like 'Messiah' which means that his music is basically God-tier by default"
>zero results
wtf y'all

I seriously can't find a decent recording of Haydn - Symphony no. 39 and I don't want to rip it off youtube.

>praise be to our Lord and Savior Messiaen, for his name sounds vaguely like 'Messiah' which means that his music is basically God-tier by default
That really isn't funny.

not Pinnock?

>cleaning guns
try unaccompanied cello pieces, you can start by looking up yo yo ma/bach
later you can try schoenberg