/prod/

/prod/ general
Producer Bookmarks Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/32fc3f34
discord.gg/cfwMgqU
clyp.it/xb2af0c4
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1511617580143.webm
creativefieldrecording.com/start-here/
clyp.it/gox3jfkn
clyp.it/iyshwj0c
soundcloud.com/stringsforwords-187646887
clyp.it/iod250m0
clyp.it/l1bauj55
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Study counterpoint on a daily basis.

A couple of weeks ago some guy made a pseudo-prod thread saying that he's semi-known in the industry and he's an experienced professional, and gave a lot of knowledge and feedback.
When the thread started dying he said that he'd have made another one some days after.

Did he do it (yet)?

clyp.it/32fc3f34

What could one improve?

how do i send beats to rappers?

i make drill/trap/grime

idk how to process vocals really tho, do most rappers who have followings have engineers that handle the vocal processing or is that something the producer deals with?

>
Either or really, both sound really good. Don’t rule out synth voices in eurorack just because you need power and a case. There are loads of really nice synth voices in Euro.
Some recommendations:
>Intelijel-Atlantis (euro)
>Korg MS-20 mini
>Moog Mother 32
>Pittsburg modular-Lifeforms
>Akemies Castle (euro)

>falling for the waves jew
their plugins are over rated

Idk, I had very good experiences with those, also the packages are very versatile

C6 multiband compressor is bae, also is LoAir

Have you tried using the internet?

What's the 101 on doing Tim Hecker type stuff?

Less memes, more strings

I've been listening to a lot of Skrillex and I don't really get how he makes a lot of this sounds I'm wondering if he mixes them with samples or what because whenever I try with massive for example it just sounds very standard and not unique. I don't want a boring saw tooth sound.

You mean that donk bass?

I read somewhere that he uses fm8
Use the arpeggiator at high speed

Too complicated to explain on here, hop on /prod/ and I'll help you understand some basic things overtime.
discord.gg/cfwMgqU

Ok one min

thoughts on komplete kontrol mk2 midi keyboard?

i tried one out and it feels awesome to quickly sift through plugins and be able to control their main macros immediately without having to map them every time

are there any other midi keyboards out there that automatically map macros to their controls without needing to manually set up everytime?

Sounds good, how much?

theyre expensive but i think its worth it if you use NI stuff

the 49 key is like 500 - 600 dollars

Would you use this in your high fantasy, circa 2004 action-adventure game?

clyp.it/xb2af0c4

reminder to timestamp your work somewhere online so producers cant rip off your ideas.

Rate me user. Any feedback is welcome.
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1511617580143.webm

Animated background is default spectrum analyser from LMMS.

how to do this?

It definitely gives that vibe.

To add on, please keep making more in this style! It's nice.

>satanistmemes.wordpress.com
Wow, just wow!
Personally I’m not keen on namefagging and will generally ignore most posts by namefags. I’m trying to understand why you’d want to post on an anonymous board with a name Tag? Why would you want that blog associated with every post you make in /prod/ just kinda curious?

I don’t think so.

>falling for the waves jew
>their plugins are over rated
Carry on not using them then, but you don’t really need to shit up every thread with your racism and hate for waves plugins, this is a music production thread and Whinging about some plugins you pirated and didn’t like in every thread isn’t really needed.

>how do i send beats to rappers?
Try contacting rappers you like through soundcloud/Bandcamp etc

>idk how to process vocals really tho, do most rappers who have followings have engineers that handle the vocal processing or is that something the producer deals with?
Wouldn’t you send your beetz to the rapper and then they would record themselves rapping over your beetz? You shouldn’t have any need to “process” vocals if you are making beetz?

>Idk, I had very good experiences with those, also the packages are very versatile
Same I’ve bought a few waves plugins and could never understand why people have so much hate for them. My experience was pretty much the same as that of any other plugin vendor.
I also have LoAir haven’t used that in a while. I still think Meta Flanger is one of the best sounding flanges out there, absolutely love that plugin.
Also have the tapes tubes and transistors pack and the j37

Why not post here, it might help other anons plus threads pretty dead anyway?

basically if your sharing stuff publicly just make sure you dont delete it. just leave it there, then if someone blatantly takes your idea you've got something to back it up.

not that anyone would give a fuck, but still.

Why not post here, it might help other anons plus threads pretty dead anyway?

I cba to write a huge essay on here, I prefer short answers to questions, everyone's welcome to join the discord.

>discord

Not that I've seen, which sucks because that guy brought a really awesome vibe to the whole thread

I really never liked LoAir or MaxxBass or RBass or whatever they decided to repackage it as. I've literally always felt more comfortable distorting and EQing myself.

Mr. Bill made an amazing recreation of the drip from his Cinema remix that you can easily find on YouTube (there's also like a forum post or something where I found it). Rocket Powered Sound's YouTube also has a ton of videos of big growl basses like that. Even still though, he uses a lot of really strange techniques that a lot of people never picked up on, and he tends to do a lot of weird vocoder and like vocal processing stuff too. I've never been able to nail what he does, but that's what I love about chasing after him because I end up with this sweet 5 layer growl with modulated formants over the whole thing and shit. Personally, I think that's the magic of skrillex, he makes you want to achieve what he does (at least for me)

>thoughts on komplete kontrol mk2 midi keyboard?
Solid good quality control keyboard. If I was looking to buy a control keyboard that would be my first choice over cheap tackie akais and the like.

>are there any other midi keyboards out there that automatically map macros to their controls without needing to manually set up everytime?
I think that’s mainly down to the NKS software Native instruments use. I think maybe other company’s do this now, I wouldn’t know as I’m fully sold on the N.I keymapping and haven’t had the need to look elsewhere.

Cheers mate!

>I cba to write a huge essay on here, I prefer short answers to questions.
Oh ok I didn’t realise discord worked like that. That’s pretty neat. Couldn’t you just write your short answers here thought?

>everyone's welcome to join the discord.
No thanks and why?

just got the Korg M1 vst, holy shit why didn't I do this sooner
it's got all THE sounds I've been looking for, and all the drums to boot

literally Lone must use this for 90% of his club tracks

>would smoke a bowl at the top of that tower/10
Well done user, it’s nice to hear a harp and flute combo in /prod/

did you get the legacy collection or just the m1 ive been thinking about getting them for a while

How do you all afford your hobby? Even if you only use a laptop and pirate everything it still takes a lot of time and a space to work in. Then when you get better and add hardware or buying VSTs it becomes expensive.

So how do you do it? How do you find the time and money for this?
For me its either work enough to afford things, or have enough time to do things, never both.

just the M1, I can't afford anything else til next year what with buying xmas presents for a big family

the whole set looks a good deal, desu I'll probably get more than enough juice out of the M1 alone
the Wavestation looks good but might be a bit too complex for me

its one of the only thing i spend money on and i only buy things on sale never full price and realizing when i just want something instead of actually needing it

I have the iPad app and it’s fucking incredible, will probably end up with a M1 one day

>How do you all afford your hobby? Even if you only use a laptop and pirate everything it still takes a lot of time and a space to work in. Then when you get better and add hardware or buying VSTs it becomes expensive.
Just going to work really. The biggest problem isn’t the money but finding the time to get in the studio without being totally knackered from work.

>So how do you do it? How do you find the time and money for this?
For me its either work enough to afford things, or have enough time to do things, never both.
Such is life user, such is life.

Well they say if you want to get good at any craft or art, you have to practice like 24/7 and work hard at that shit.
Like famous painters, composers and shit were basically painting or studying or writing all the damn time to get really good

But I barely have 4-5 hours a week for music...

I got a pretty sweet gig where I work 3 12 hour days on weekends but still get paid as if I worked 40 hours. Leaves a ton of free time during the week when all my friends are busy, though I also have a fiancee I spend time with. Before that though my whole thing was about lowering the barrier to entry and pirating everything I could. I used to be a bit of a shut in who really got off on learning stuff so I would just read stuff constantly.

I guess for me there was like this point in my life where I just realized that music is what I want to do, and it's all I'll ever want to do whether I "make it" or not, and once that happened almost all of my time and money went into it, and it's still like that to this day lol

Anyone use hardware mixers here?
I need something on a budget with 10 or 12 channels and two aux sends for a small studio (don't need any onboard effects)

So far I'm looking at Mackie 1202 and the Yamaha 12 channel mixers.
Any advice on quality?

It's different for everyone. Some people don't need to devote all their time to it and are naturally good at writing music. I find that playing for 30 or even 5 minutes a day helps a lot. Then on days when I can devote more time to it, I can go back and listen to the little things I recorded and flesh them out more.

Is this a meme?

If an amateur producer steals my idea, nobody will ever care, I'll likely never find out, and it will have zero consequences for me or my work. It will be exactly as if he neverr stole it.

If it's someone with a decent following, it's likely that they know how to steal by changing it so that it doesn't sound the same but still has the essence that make the idea worthwile.

Either way you won't be able to go around yelling "SEE? HE COPIED ME I HAVE PROOF", because if you manage to notice in the first place, others will just see it as a similarity and not as IP theft.
And he'll always be able to say that it's a coincidence and make you look like a moron, knowing you'll never going to sue him or do anything serious.

anyone know of a good limiter vst, preferably free?

>much on the go lo-fi beats

Yes. It's fun, but limited. It's like a really well built toy that is fun to show people

I've chosen this name by literally pressing strg+v, It could be something else actually but it isn't. I don't care that much, I just find it random and somewhat funny.

I find especially that c6 multiband compressor very good, also the transient shaper and those classic hardware emulations. Yupp, the plugins you've mentioned are cool as well

LoAir is not for distorting or EQing though, it's a low frequency harmonizer.

Same, especially the brass sounds are pretty cool. Look up the whole Korg package with wavestation, it's actually pretty easy to use and customize.

>I’m trying to understand why you’d want to post on an anonymous board with a name Tag?
for threads like /prod/, /daily/, and the assorted soundcloud threads, it's usually good to have a name associated with your posts so you can keep up in conversation, and so people don't pretend to be you

I actually like the idea of my work getting copied and my ideas getting carried on, not only direct monetary profit and credit are something of worth, if your work is getting copied it means that it's good enough to influence other peoples work and that is pretty rewarding, if you ask me. Also, if this is the case person which copy other people don't last long as artists while you keep on growing.

Tl;dr, nothing wrong about that as long you keep on growing end developing.

Have you “made it” though?

good first post

>for threads like /prod/, /daily/, and the assorted soundcloud threads, it's usually good to have a name associated with your posts so you can keep up in conversation, and so people don't pretend to be you
I know what you mean. I’ve been posting as a plain old user here for years. God only knows the confusion I must have caused.
Do I need a Sup Forums gold account to post as a namefag, are there any other requirements I should know about? Thanks for taking the time to explain yourself choof. Is it ok to call you choof or should we stick to user?

>Cool bass
>Tweak it for half an hour
>It's ruined

Should have saved a preset...

>Should have saved a preset...

yupp

This sounds really bad, but I'm a new producer so I can't tell you why. Sorry.

what did you read today /prod/

FMTS2 manual, some stuff on EDO tunings and scales, blues and funk chords, just intonation ratios for those chords, not much else

Slow day

Does this happen to anyone else
>really shit at doing x
>one day randomly get pretty good at it

It just takes practice dude. My first time doing x blew my mind and I had a bit of a freakout. It gets better the more you do it though.

I can just hear how garbage this "modular synth" sounds.

>Everyone on twitch will love to hear my fart sounds and resonance sweeps heh

Does anyone use portable recorders? I’m looking at getting a zoom H4N to collect ambient noise. Do they sound good? Do they pick up sounds as quiet as the hum of a refrigerator?

I'm starting to learn how to make some music on FL Studio 12. I've been making some progressive electronic/ambient/dark ambient kind of stuff and was wondering ways how to create a buildup? The part I'm working on is the main part of the song and I'd like it to build up right at the end before going quiet and transitioning into another part slowly.

Wtf are you on about user?

choose ur modular spec
>idort, has a modular, but uses it like a regular synth
>ambien, makes hours long minimal ambient and drone tracks nobody listens to
>pseud, does "academic" electronics on analog gear but 60 years late
>minimalist, cross over with ambien, can't develop his music so he uses 1 riff for 10 minutes
>tech, uses it for cred in the techno scene because laptops are lame

>Does anyone use portable recorders?
Yes

>I’m looking at getting a zoom H4N to collect ambient noise. Do they sound good?
Yes, but bear in mind they are entry level recorders. It won’t have hi-end preamps in it for external mics and the mics built in won’t be high end either. I have a zoom h2n and I was expecting it to sound really shit, but was really impressed by the sound it records and the mid side recording and surround sound recording is a bonus from the built in mics.

>Do they pick up sounds as quiet as the hum of a refrigerator?
Depends how loud the hum is and how quiet your surrounding are...but realistically the awnser is no not without boosting the levels and with that the noise floor. You could however attach a contact mic to the fridge.

You could probably google some searches regarding the h4n and find some recording of it to listen to.
I found this website useful when buying my recorder:
creativefieldrecording.com/start-here/

What can I do to clean this up?

Also how the fuck I add some horns?

soundcloud.com/online_band/different-ways

Noob here, how do I improve this?
clyp.it/gox3jfkn

Not much but I just started doing a little cover of Blue Monday toto brush up on my sound design.
It's a pain of a bitch that there is hardly any good DMX samples out there.

clyp.it/iyshwj0c

They sound fine. The Tascam DR-40 is kinda noisy and not as good as the Zoom H4n. But the higher end models don't really sound much better.

It makes me uncomfortable that there is no release or reverb on that lead. Also, something in there is stuttering randomly.
It's pretty goodish as a lofi beat or whatever. I don't know if that was what you were aiming for.

Just made my first track on ableton live after buying an audio interface so I can record guitar on the pc

soundcloud.com/stringsforwords-187646887

Not sure if there are any obvious mistakes about that mixing, eq and that sort of thing. I just put some preset compression on the master track

I appreciate your existence.

Melodically speaking, your shit is all over the place. Read the chapter on writing melodies in Counterpoint in Composition.

I would filter the output and put some reverb in there.

I'm saying "who wants to watch some dude twiddle some knobs and make squeaks and farts?" I know the dude on that stream doesn't play any actual music.

clyp.it/iod250m0

Pretty new to producing still, any feedback would be appreciated

>The Tascam DR-40 is kinda noisy and not as good as the Zoom H4n. But the higher end models don't really sound much better.

From my research of listening to recordings online and from the stuff I heard from the user that used to post here a lot using the Tascam DR-40 I thought that the Tascam sounded much better with external mics.

>I appreciate your existence.
No problem any more questions ask away. I’ll try and reply to the best of my limited knowledge.
Also when I say the zoom won’t really pick up the fridge hum I mean that in a it won’t really pick it up in a clean recording way from the external mics, although it will pick it up it will no doubt be fairly quiet, so depending on how you plan to use the recording may or may not present a problem. If you want the final recording of the hum to be loud you may well need to boost the volume in an audio editor for example. Along with your fridge hum everything else that was recorded will be boosted too. I often do simular and then EQ the frequency’s out that I don’t want, but I’m not looking for high quality recordings as such.
Another way would be to use external mics, for example a shotgun mic will mostly pick up sound it’s pointed at so this might help, but this is where the quality of the built in preamps on your recorder come in, as you boost the signal to record quieter sounds at higher volumes you will also raise the noise floor of those preamps. This is why good quality preamps in recorders cost a lot of money as they have a very low noise floor. So if you intend on later using external mics to record quiet sounds and ambience it’s often good practice to find a recorder with low noise floor preamps (there are recording comparisons of most recorders pre amps on certain field recording websites so you can listen and compare) so this is a thing that is worth looking into.
The h4n is no doubt a decent recorder though and you’ll be surprised at what it will pick up.

It makes okay background music. If you want to make it more interesting, you could modulate to a different key using a secondary dominant. You could directly modulate too, though it would be more jarring.

Cont...
I’m often out recording with my h2n with headphones on and I’ll hear something and be looking around for what is causing the noise and I’m often surprised at how far away the noise source actually is.
I plan on getting a much better recorder at some stage but the little h2n is good for taking out everywhere with me.
If you plan on recording outside then you’ll want a dead cat wind shield too and a shock mount. You really can’t record anything outside without. Handling noise can be isolated by putting the recorder on the floor or on a tripod but you’ll defiantly want a dead cat for wind. Rycote make both, but be prepared to pay almost as much as your recorder for both of those items together.

I've never tried one but Akai products with "VIP" (Akai Advance and Akai Professional I think) are supposed to be able to do this.

meme

>I'm saying "who wants to watch some dude twiddle some knobs and make squeaks and farts?"
I do for sure. I even bought a 4ms noise swash module that specifically makes hi pitched bird and dolphin squeak noises.

I know the dude on that stream doesn't play any actual music.
It’s noises isn’t it? Some people like noises in general. Some people don’t. I know plenty of people that if I played them an autechre cd would say that it’s just horrible noises and not music and I also know a load of people who would disagree.

Open your mind (and ears) user. There’s a whole world of sound to be discovered.

I figure this is the best place to ask:

I have some theory questions that apparently I can find no solid explanation for.M I just started learning theory a week or so ago, but I do not understand these things:

>What is the point of a key signature?
Why have one if there are just accidentals anyways in the music? Why not write all the notes you want to be sharp or flat as accidentals?
>What does it mean for something to be in Major/Minor?
My friend tried explaining it to me as "It's on a scale" but that explains nothing for me. I see it in music titles all the time (Symphony in "X" Minor/Major)

If you're composing a piece of music, you don't want to have to write every accidental over and over again. Plus it helps communicate to performers to play in the particular key.
Every key has a major and minor scale. For instance, in C major, it's C-D-E-F-G-A-B, in C natural minor, it's C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb, in C harmonic minor, it's the same but with B instead of Bb (sharpened 7th), and in C melodic minor, it's the same but with A and B instead of Ab and Bb (sharpened 6th and 7th) ascending. So there are different intervals (measure of distance between pitches) in each.

That's pretty rad.
Too bad I live in a shithole and the currency conversion and importation taxes multiply the price of anything by at least 6 times, so I'm always reluctant to buy this kind of stuff.

>What is the point of a key signature?
Just to make the sheet music simpler and not have tons of sharps and flats everywhere.
>What does it mean for something to be in Major/Minor?
If something is in the key of c major, it has all the notes(c.d.e.f.g.a.b) and no sharps or flats.
But in c minor, the: e, a, and b are all flat.
So whatever the key is the first note is the name of the key(like c) then depending on whether it is major or minor the following notes will be different because each key uses different spaces in between the next notes.

I make farts and squeaks with the synths I have, but i don't broadcast myself doing it. it's embarrassing when someone pretends that they know how to operate their gear, but they can't make anything sonically impressive. They can't repeat anything they've done. It's all improvisational. Some people like that, but I like songs, not noises

Continuing...
When you see something in "X" Minor/Major, overall, that piece will probably use X key, with its pitches in the scale. You can usually predict where the piece will modulate to as well, but all of it can be fair game of course.

Takes too damn long, just note which ones are going to sharp or flat most if not all the time.

It means the song uses intervals belonging to Major or Minor, the most obvious difference being the use of the major or minor third, among others. The different intervals (relationships between two notes as denoted by their distance) have different sounds when both notes are played together.

That wasn't very clear i'll try to explain better.

(w=whole step, h=half step)

The major scale:
W,W,H,W,W,W,H
The minor scale:
W, H, W, W, H, W, W

so plug a note into the first slot and that's the key, then decide if you want it to be major or minor and then the next note will either be a whole step or half step above the first note etc.

I can make minimalistic stuff like deep house just fine but I can't do any trance-tier uplifting stuff!
the pads always sound empty and the bass always sounds either not loud enough or muddy.
what could I possibly be doing wrong?

Thanks so much.

Only thing I'm not getting now is how you know C minor makes e, a, and b flat. Why those notes?

Sorry if I'm just being retarded.

>That's pretty rad.
Thanks. It was actually my first module.

>Too bad I live in a shithole and the currency conversion and importation taxes multiply the price of anything by at least 6 times, so I'm always reluctant to buy this kind of stuff.
Euro rack stuff is always being hated on as some kind of elitist show off stuff that is only good for squeaky fart noises, but it really doesn’t have to be like that it’s just another way of making sound. Price wise I agree it can be expensive, but you can still buy cheapish modules or like I did build my own from kits...or even use modular software, like reaktor blocks, soft tube and vcv rack.

>I make farts and squeaks with the synths I have, but i don't broadcast myself doing it. it's embarrassing when someone pretends that they know how to operate their gear, but they can't make anything sonically impressive.
Quite a lot of these videos are demonstrations of the modules and not about operating skills. It’s to show what the modules can do. The broadcast are different I guess, but it’s no different than the piles of shit people with no talent upload to soundcloud.
Also why are you watching broadcasts of farts and bleeps if you don’t like it?

>They can't repeat anything they've done. It's all improvisational.
I don’t see a problem with that.

>Some people like that, but I like songs, not noises
Go listen to songs and not farts and bleeps then. Why are you even coming to a music production thread full of anons just to voice the fact you don’t like fart and bleep noises being broadcast?

clyp.it/l1bauj55

Well, before we had major and minor, we had modes. To keep it brief, there are seven modes, but the two we are interested in are:
Ionian
Aeolian

C Ionian is defined as such: C-D-E-F-G-A-B
A Aeolian is defined as such: A-B-C-D-E-F-G
Measure the distance between each note (it helps if you get a keyboard out at this point).
If we transpose A Aeolian into C Aeolian, we get
C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb
Look familiar? The Aeolian mode uses a flattened third, sixth, and seventh.

That's just your opinion, man. I've got mine too.

i came here foorrr youuur girrrrl