Question: are there any do's and don'ts for vinyls? just bought my first record player and a few vinyls

question: are there any do's and don'ts for vinyls? just bought my first record player and a few vinyls

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't make threads like this

It's vinyl. No s.

Always give your records a nice scrub with some sandpaper before putting them on the deck. Gives it an extra crisp sound. This works with old ones especially, they'll sound good as new. Also, don't bother with sleeves, they're a pain, just stack em onto the plastic lid. Then you can nail those sleeves to a wall like a poster or something. Then just plug it into whatever input on your amp, EXCEPT PHONO. Seriously, you'll fuck things up. You should only plug dvd players etc into phono.
Lastly, the most important part.
Just make a playlist on your computer and throw that fucking thing in the trash

Don't use a Crosley, they have too much needle pressure and will damage your shit. Don't clean them with anything not safe on eyeglasses or plastic. Handle them like giant CD, in that you don't want to touch the recording face.

Fuck this 12 year old cockgobbler.

Keep your albums clean before you put them on the platter. I use a wipe cloth they give you for cleaning your glasses to clean the dust off, but ant terry cloth will do as long as it's soft.

Make sure your turntable is level.

Other than that, vinyl is pretty idiot proof. Just ask your grandpa.

Remember, it's 2017, so before listening to a 45 minute album, you need to spend at least 2 hours cleaning your records.

Jeez, I was just having a bit of a laugh 'cause I really don't see the need for a do's and dont's with vinyl. It's all quite obvious isn't it? And if you need help hooking the thing up there's thousands of sources that'll explain it better with a video or something. Get off your horses

remember you have to re-calibrate the counterweight every 3 months to avoid damaging your records

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask here:

what do you guys think about cassette format as opposed to vinyl? I've heard that it can sound just as good as vinyl and it seems to be much more affordable.

Interestingly enough, at their height cassettes were extremely high-quality. Unfortunately, with the demise of ultra HQ formulations for tape so died high fidelity cassettes.

Techmoan did an excellent take on what was possible (at one time) with cassettes:

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

It can sound as good as a CD, but good luck finding a good cassette deck that won't ruin you AND a cassette that was properly mastered and duplicated. It needs to be duplicated in certain way to sound up to date and has to be mastered differently from the rest of the releases.

>It can sound as good as a CD

But CD doesn't sound good...

sounds fantastic actually

For electronic music, sure.

For rock music originally recorded in the seventies and eighties, it's a very poor medium. Sounds thin and compressed, drums don't have enough oomph, guitars aren't crunchy enough, highs aren't high enough, lows aren't low enough etc.

this is complete bullshit

>For rock music originally recorded in the seventies and eighties
Nice cherry picking

A lot of that is down to engineers who got lazy with the extended dynamic range available with CDs. Same reason a lot of new LP releases sound like shit compared to old records. Don't blame the medium for mediocre mastering.

It's what I primarily listen to.

Okay, so I guess you're saying that if I avoid "greatist hits" compilations and remasters then CDs should sound almost as good as vinyl?

> question: are there any do's and don'ts for vinyls?

yep go to rutracker and see if some guy with a gyrodeck or emt 930 with a tube phono box hasnt already done a DSD rip with vinyl that is much better condition than your thrift store copy...

tldr, look for rips, buy records that are rare or arent ripped, enjoy !

t. turntable owner who listens through digital crossovers

t. turntable owner

Tape a couple of quarters to the tonearm to make it heavier so the records won't skip.

technically cds are far better than vinyl records, although vinyl is potentially more durable as a medium so long as the owner takes proper care

it's all left up to the master, and cd remasters of old albums are mastered in order to cater to the cd format, and they mostly sound fine. CDs can easily sound better than a vinyl record and just about every release today would sound better on a CD unless it is properly mastered for vinyl, which in that case they would both sound comparable.

It's ok/sometime better to clean your brand new vinyl before your play it (with solution/microfiber cloth)

Don't put records in a space where they press against each other. Let them have enough wiggle room that you can stick your finger between them

>It's what I primarily listen to.
ok dad

I'm saying CDs will never sound the same as vinyl, unless you're listening to a recording dubbed from a record (which, in some cases of low-budget album re-releases you might actually be). 99% of the vinyl vs CD debate comes down to how the mastering engineers approached the medium.

If you want an example of an album that was superbly mastered for CD, find a copy of Jellyfish's Spilt Milk. It uses the wide dynamic range of a CD to the fullest extent possible.

the only reason i buy LPs is because no other format feels like you actually own the music. with records it's like you've bought the definitive version of an artists vision.

Also the only reason why I buy LPs. Owning something like a NM You Only Realise is a good feeling.

I prefer the sound of tape and vinyls, but i almost exclusively listen to music on Spotify, youtube and mp3s.

another good example imo is the fantasma by cornelius

>I'm saying CDs will never sound the same as vinyl

? So are you saying that CDs sound as good as vinyl or not? Are you making two different arguments or am I talking to two different people?

If that's really the only reason that you invest in all the equipment and albums then you are wasting your money.

look. digital music is free to download. vinyl costs. if you really think that they sound similar than it's a no brainer that vinyl is a wasted investment.

yeah, that $30 dollar album i bought only 4 years ago that is now worth well over 100 is such a wasted investment

besides that tripfag never said they sound similar

Do they really grow in value that fast?

I am new to this shit if you couldn't tell.

>wahh people don't want to listen to my epic xanax mene rap
filtered

depends

a mass produced adele vinyl from 4 years ago probably wouldn't even fetch what you paid for it, because they made millions

an original pressing of king gizzard's 12 Bar Bruise, ELTS or Willoughby's Beach go for $200+ because they made like 300

it's literally just a function of how many people want a record versus how many were printed

it entirely depends on demand and quantity

the album I mentioned has 500 pressing and has gained deeper cult status since I have bought it which has created enough demand to bump the value significantly

No it's not that valuable at all. Unless it's a limited release album with less then a 100 copies and you don't open it, it won't be worth half of what you paid for it 4 years from now.

the thing is that there lots of more limited pressings and older albums with generally lower pressing in great condition also exist plentifully

the long tail applies to the record sale industry as well meaning there is a great variety of valuable records floating around

[laughs in white sketches of brunswick east]

you're right though that if you want to go full jew and speculate on vinyl like a stock market that shit needs to stay sealed

If you already fell for the >$120 turntable meme it's too late

>and a few vinyls

the sealed/mint condition market is actually far more niche and not as volatile as the level below in terms of condition

many people don't go out of their way to by mint albums unless they are crazy and have a lot of money and don't plan on playing these albums. Most listeners pay to play and won't go to great lengths to get a $70 sealed album if they can get it for %50 off. Sealed albums sit around a lot longer and while retail/collector dream are worth more, the time they spend not moving equates to less than that of a cheaper but still vg+ album being able to move around

sealed shit is for faggots and the most dedicated collectors i know obviously don't give a fuck just because something is sealed, they throw thousands at unsealed albums but barely anything at sealed stuff

Speaking of sealed records, when it comes to classic rock just buy old used copies don't go for reissues. Most the modern reissues sound like shit and are twice the price as just getting an older copy. Obviously make sure it's not scratched and the condition is good, but classic rock is common as fuck as easy to find, the more popular the band is the more records they sold and the easier it is to find for cheap.

Mint in box only matters if it's an original pressing anyways.

not definitively

plenty of older sealed albums could be worth a fuck ton to a nutty collector

>sealed shit is for faggots
hell yea

don't lay your records flat

Well, yeah. But no one cares I have a reissue of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath that I haven't played yet, ya dig

Depends
Sometimes I find sealed albums cheaper than unsealed
A good example is Dark Side of the Moon, fags on eBay will pay far over the price of a new mint copy's price on Amazon

3 months is pushing it. I recalibrate mine every two weeks.

>I'm saying CDs will never sound the same as vinyl
yes it will. this was proven by Claude Shannon. you're just being a fucking hipster

Did I say "better?" Learn to fucking read.

Sell your vinyls and buy CDs instead.

CD futures are up, up, UP!

>vinyls

I'm sorry, but please fuck off back to tumblr

DO LEAVE YUR RECORDS IN THE TRUNK OF YOUR CAR IN 90+ DEGREE HEAT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. WILL MAKE THEM SOUND EXTRA CRISP AND WILL GIVE MORE DEPTH TO THE SOUND.

Bought a 2pac record (4xLP) and a Cam'ron record at local record store for $15 all together, made $110 from selling them. Bought an original press of Slint's Spiderland for $10 at a local store and it's worth close to $90. My RSD double LP limited edition reissue of Incesticide is worth >$60 and i paid $25 for it. Limited runs of records tend to be worth more and gain value the quickest. First pressings tend to be worth the most when it comes to older stuff. You can literally use discogs to ensure that you never pay more than you have to for a record, and if it ever comes down to it you can sell your collection for a profit.

agreed, discogs is legit apart from a lot of international stuff (japan specifically are dirtbags in the record market)

Do's: don't buy them
Don'ts: spend your hard earned money when you're young

>don't spend money hoard it instead!
Is this what it feels like to be an American?