A pop album praised as something experimental just because it's slightly different from the rest of its genre...

>a pop album praised as something experimental just because it's slightly different from the rest of its genre, which lacks experimentation
>chipmunk vocals
Is this the Art Angels of hip hop?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-U-BG__zpjU
youtu.be/yrmgkbBSTKE
youtu.be/PkDH0RquNYo
youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194
youtube.com/watch?v=LRi4zmoxumE
youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA
youtube.com/watch?v=Hi58qW3G1Jg
youtube.com/watch?v=8TdY6iqV2k0
youtube.com/watch?v=I8IDrtQ2DSw
youtube.com/watch?v=7E5J1OtyScE
youtube.com/watch?v=nQU8AdluxtI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>OP doesn't know what pop is
>claim album to be not that experimental while being repulsed by expermentation

Is this the autistic retard of low-quality bait?

art angels was never popular though, it's a meme forced by grimes and her friends

>a pop album
Not.
12 - 16 year olds have zero clue what this even is.

You can tell the same about Danny Brown
youtu.be/-U-BG__zpjU
youtu.be/yrmgkbBSTKE
youtu.be/PkDH0RquNYo

explain how either of those is not pop

Because it's not. Explain how it is a pop album you fucking buffoon.

Pop is something that's popular. Go up to several random people and ask them, "Hey do you know what Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown is?"
I'm betting you won't get a solid response.

Not sure which album you're talking about but
>basic pop structures
>catchy hooks
>danceable rhythms
>only the first song is actually something far away from pop

All hip-hop is inherently Pop music. Get over it.
Next call.

>All hip-hop is inherently Pop music.

Educate yourself ffs. You could spend your whole live composing bubblegum pop and die an unknown artist - your work would still be Pop music.

>Pop is something that's popular.
that's so shallow it's actually wrong
judging by your definition unpopular pop rap from Soundcloud and bedroom pop from Bandcamp are actually not pop

Nice picture you got there. You can go back to your 4/4 loop now.

y'all are getting baited HARD

That's like saying all rock is pop you fucking imbecile. There's a reason why subgenres like "pop-rock" and "pop-rap" exists.

Well, that was relevant for both anyway

All rock is Pop, indeed. Subgenres are degeneracy to start with.

Go back to your Dalek, my dude. It’ll still be Pop.

Rock and hip-hop in general are 90% pop music, 'pop-' subgenres are a hypocritical thing and they're basically useless since they don't include everything

dude all music is POP and POP only :)

Absolutely not. Not my fault if all this board listens too is pop music. Bach, ofc, isn’t pop - no debate here. Vévet Underground is.

>tfw you’re so insecure about you taste you think «pop» is an insult
Grow up.

Yes, but Atrocity Exhibit is not a fucking pop record. It is neither pleasing enough to be listened to by the populous nor is it pleasing enough to be appealing to typical hip-hop fans. You need a very high IQ to enjoy Atrocity Exhibit.

You got A LOT of pictures. That’s good. Can you formulate a single thought, though ?

>tries to complain about danny brown getting shilled
>names ONE guy that likes his stuff
>he didn't even know who danny was until his mixtape popped

This is my first post. I'm not the only one who has pictures on my computer.

Oh then you guys are all the same. My bad for exepcting any sort of dialectic from kids on here.

see it's not even abrasive enough to be compared with noise pop, but judging by your last sentence you're baiting so idk why I'm replying

You might like Reddit, they don't have as many pictures in threads.

I watched the Dead End hip hop(i know) vid about this record and the only guy that really fucked with this album was the one that listens to metal and shit

Reddit liked pop as much as Sup Forums, don’t delude yourself here.

Was that an «insult» ?

The last sentence was a meme. I unironically like Atrocity Exhibit.

>verse chorus verse is exclusively a pop structure
>only pop music can have catchy hooks and danceable rythms
Apparently instrumentation is not a part of experimentation

who fucking cares u dumb bitch

its a good album

>>verse chorus verse is exclusively a pop structure
>>only pop music can have catchy hooks and danceable rythms
yes?
many releases from many other "genres" include this, but that's because they're also pop that just has a different marketing tag

Song structure is not the only thing that makes a record pop you fucking dingus.

dubs of truth

wow this is an abnormally shit thread
I can't even tell who's baiting who

Of course it's not, but it is by far the most important one

Instrumentation is even more important.

epic....

not really
you can made a quirky pop album with some unconventional for pop instrumentation and generic pop song structures

make*

But it still sounds "pop" in its instrumentation. Sure atypical, but it all contributes to a "pop" aesthetic. When I listen to AE, I don't hear pop at all and its instrumentation deosn't contribute to it being a pop album.

the instrumentation on this album is about as unconventional as the instrumentation of fka twigs' music
I guess some people like you need to see pop tagged as pop to hear it

Never heard of Fka Twigs. Listened to her. Sound nothing like Danny Brown. What is your point here?

>le "everything is pop" meme

Kill yourself with that shit. It'a retards like you that kill discussion on this board by calling everything pop. This album is post-punk influenced and post-punk is far from pop, with minor keys, slower tempos, dark atmospheres and dark lyrics.

>X is as unconventional as Y = X sounds like Y
you made me sad

>dark and moody pop is far from pop
What did he mean by this?

>le strawman

Look, just because he's not screaming and the beat isn't changing time signatures every 5 seconds doesn't mean that it's pop.

FKA Twigs' production is far less conventional than beats made for Danny Brown.

>I don't know what strawman is

That's called adult contemporary you dipshit.

>I'm strawmanning my strawman

2deep4me

>uses verse/chorus format
>repetitive instrumentals and vocal melodies
>mostly in common time

It's pop music

Man this thread sucks just pack it in already guys

>being so pretentious as to use "pop" as in insult
>being so insecure as to actually take offense to it

Shittiest thread in a while

What carnival freak show banger is better?

Ain't It Funny Vs. Billy Not Really

>being so lazy you can't be bothered to learn subgenres
>being so pretentious that you put Danny Brown, Brittney Spears and The Beatles all in the same genre for some reason

Fuck off with this bullshit, seriously. You're wrong, get over it.

So according to that retarded logic these are all the same genre

youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194
youtube.com/watch?v=LRi4zmoxumE
youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

Yeah man, you sure know what you're talking about.

>these are all the same genre
yes
different subgenres

Are you saying that pop music can't be experimental, because this is pop and it's experimental.

>Shifting goalposts this hard

No you dipshit. Noise rock, pop and hip hop don't even stem from the same genre or sound anything alike. You can keep reading misleading wiki articles all you like, but that doesn't mean you're right.

It's confirmed all music is pop

This is experimental pop. youtube.com/watch?v=Hi58qW3G1Jg

Notice how one mostly has rapping while the other doesnt?

melon doesn't do drugs, literally what the fuck would him and danny brown do if they hung out? just listen to music?

Are you saying that the only way Danny brown knows to spend time with anyone else is to do drugs?
i know youre gonna reply with a dry "Yes" so go ahead

dammit i should have memed this by saying "next youll say "yes""

Danny Brown was a fan of TND for ages,id imagine they could have a good conversation

>minor keys, slower tempos, dark atmospheres and dark lyrics.
This doesn't make it not pop

"Pop music is eclectic, and often borrows elements from other styles such as urban, dance, rock, Latin, and country; nonetheless, there are core elements that define pop music. Identifying factors include generally short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), as well as common use of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and hooks."

I don't usually argue on here but I didn't say they don't sound different, but their forms are very much the same. Here are some examples I would consider not 'pop.'

Art Blakey - Moanin' - Head/Head/Solos/Head, emphasis on 2 and 4
youtube.com/watch?v=8TdY6iqV2k0

Beethoven 3 1st movement, sonata form with coda youtube.com/watch?v=I8IDrtQ2DSw

Tim Hecker - Radiance, through-composed
youtube.com/watch?v=7E5J1OtyScE

Tokyo Gakuso, new compositions (from what I can tell) but still follow a bunch of established improvisatory guidelines
youtube.com/watch?v=nQU8AdluxtI

I don't really have a hard-and-fast definition for pop music - I don't tend to judge by the actual popularity, but rather some of the above criteria (also usually an emphasis on 1 + 3). Danny makes hip-hop (which I'd place under a broader identifier of 'pop'), and him sampling weird experimental electronic pieces doesn't change place him outside this sphere, becuase he's recontextualising his influences into a pop format. If you replaced the aesthetic - e.g. the sounds and Danny's delivery in When It Rain - with something more pallatable, the songwriting (structure, use of repetition, pulse, melody) would still resemble most top 40 songs, hip-hop or not. sorry for rambling

Can we all agree that get high 100% should not have been on the album

yes

Anything with chipmunk vocals is fucking shit.
You can have a great song, and then they just fucking ruin it with that bullshit

This doesn't disprove what I said

You obviously haven't actually listened to the fucking album

get high is really helps complete the picture of a drug habit that this album is going for,it's also a nice change of pace in mood and tone from other tracks

> rapper names album after Joy Division song
> samples them
> features 'dark atmospheres' and lyrics about le drugs xDDDD
> DAE ATROCITY EXHIBITION IS POST-PUNK!?!?!?
why are rap fans so fucking retarded

literally every album has some weed song, get high is cliched as fuck

>thinks get high is a typical rap weed song
>it's about how getting high is used as a means of escapism and counter productive,and probably a song that's true to danny brown's life

ITT: People not knowing the three generalizations of musc (they are POP,ART and FOLK btw and they overlap sometimes)

>Listen to post-punk
>influenced by it
>make an album
>this album is post punk influenced
cant you follow logical thought?

>art and folk
kys

>Danny Brown, Brittney Spears and The Beatles all in the same genre for some reason
They are though. How about expanding your tastes a little ?

It’s like this dude said earlier : From Lil Yachty to Dalek, all hip-hop is inherently Pop music.

>This album is post-punk influenced and post-punk is far from pop, with minor keys, slower tempos, dark atmospheres and dark lyrics.
The musical aspect of the album isn't close to post punk. the samples used while the beats are sampled from post punk bands and other eccentric artists and are interesting, are by the numbers instrumentals. Also there are no slow tempos in the songs and the atmosphere is the same utilized from previous albums just refined

>If you're not making atmospheric noise, it's pop music

Literally kill yourself with this retarded opinion. I like Tim Hecker as much as anyone else, but to hold his music as the standard definition of what qualifies as "not pop" is probably the most pretentious opinion you can have.

But I'm probably talking to a troll, so whatever. Your "Le everything is pop" meme just shows how short-sided you are and how quickly you are to dismiss something.

>samples post-punk songs
>album is post-punk influenced

Wew what a crazy stretch to make amrite xDD

>They are though.

They...they aren't though. Why not try to expand your tastes a little and try to learn more than just 5 genre names.

>Also there are no slow tempos in the songs

So you didn't listen to the album at all?

okay I think the problem here is you goobers are conflating pop music with popular music

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music
>Pop" and "rock" were roughly synonymous terms until the late 1960s, when they became increasingly differentiated from each other.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
>Popular music is music with wide appeal that is typically distributed to large audiences through the music industry.

exactly, hip hop is popular music, but not pop music

So you learned about avant-rock and plunderphonics a year ago and think this affect this current thread ? Subgenres are bs, any artist worth his salt woud tell you that.

BNR

>I'm too much of a faggot to learn about subgenres, so I just pretend they don't exist xD

Thanks for letting us know about your entry-level interest in music. But if you're looking for more like-minded people you might wanna try

>>/reddit/

Also see