What're Sup Forums's favorite folk artists?

What're Sup Forums's favorite folk artists?

Folk punk doesn't count.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4RKBUG9VLFU
youtu.be/s-9osMKSyb0
youtube.com/watch?v=dORJzMn5mlg
youtube.com/watch?v=KOxq8F0wDkM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Simon and Garfunkel

His version of Tamlin fucking slaps.

Vashti Bunyan or Shirley Collins

Where should I start with Shirley Collins?

Pearls before swine

Maybe start with love knot or primeroses

thank

Adieu to Old England's always been my favorite.

Always thought I was the only person left on the planet who listened to those guys. Superb taste, hombre.

If you've never listened to a folk song releases before 1960, can you really even claim to be a folk fan? Why is Sup Forums so consistently plebian in everything they discuss?

Jérôme Reuter and David Tibet.

They were interveiwed on NPR a month or so ago and it rekindled my love for them

Apart from Woody Guthrie and Burl Ives, it's not like we've got all too much to work with. It wasn't until the sixties, really, did we have an awful lot of bonafide folk stars. Quit being so pompous.

>mfw reading this comment

>blues
come on now, don’t act like they’re one and the same

Connie Converse
Vashti Bunyan
Peter Walker
Ewan MacColl
Peggy Seeger
Woody Guthrie

it is undoubtedly a style of american folk music. and one with a far richer tradition than "Woody Guthrie"

lol take a listen to neil's new album. it's like a collection of protest songs written by 3rd graders. it makes eminem's "impromptu" coffee pot rap sound powerful in comparison
youtube.com/watch?v=4RKBUG9VLFU

Obviously, but then we have disparate sounds from Howlin Wolf and Leadbelly to The Carter Family and Jimmy Rogers all in the conversation which OP clearly isn’t looking for, so you’re just obsfucating the conversation

also,forest

Holy shit.

Again, I was always under the impression it was just me listening to this album.

my main man richy dawson
youtu.be/s-9osMKSyb0

I liked their self titled more

all of those are very much worth talking about when someone brings up folk music. and I know what sort of stuff OP and this board are going to talk about, which is why I made the rude comment in the first place

Van Morrison is great, but this is probably one of my favorite albums. Criminally underrated.

youtube.com/watch?v=dORJzMn5mlg

Love Uncle Tupelo too. They get a little country at times, but they have a ton of great folk tunes.

youtube.com/watch?v=KOxq8F0wDkM

Get it straight, man. Blues =/= folk. Not that blues doesn't have a place in folk discussion, but the fact is the two aren't one in the same. If anything, if we're gonna talk the genre's roots, we'd do well looking instead to England's millennia-old folk music tradition, which all and all has a much plainer influence on folk than blues.

where my Karen Dalton niggas at

Yes. I agree.

Let’s not forget Nick Drake, guys

greatest female vocalist behind christine mcvie

Neil Young is the greatest folk artist