LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO FRANK HERBERT’S CLASSIC SCI-FI NOVEL DUNE

LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO FRANK HERBERT’S CLASSIC SCI-FI NOVEL DUNE

>Legendary and the Frank Herbert estate have reached an agreement granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the beloved novel DUNE, one of the most revered science fiction novels of all time. The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

>Set in the distant future, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

>Dune has long been considered the crown jewel of science fiction properties. Its legacy and influence is witnessed in everything from STAR WARS to THE MATRIX and often referred to as the science fiction version of LORD OF THE RINGS with its sprawling world and multi-dimensional politics.

They'll fuck it up somehow, nothing makes me excited anymore.

They'll just brush over the political stuff, Paul will be aged up to a young adult again, Bene Geserett super awareness and Mentat's hyper logical thinking will be ignored because its too difficult to film.

Those filthy chinamen will never do it justice

Dune isn't even that interesting tbqh

I don't know why people think its some unapproachable beast. Jodorowsky's Dune wasn't like the book at all.

>nothing makes me excited anymore
Sup Forums in one centanse.

I think Lynch's movie is fucking great to be honest with you my dudes

>alright, guys, we fucked it up the first 20 times, but this time, FOR SURE

>LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT

CHINESE DUNE CONFIRMED!

it's grown on me a lot since it came out. terrible adaptation maybe but great fucking film!

Jennifer Lawrence will be Paul's, perfect Aryan waifu who was the Harkonen he married, will she?

>director announced
>screenwriter hired
>screenwriter replaced
>casting rumors
>rumors shot down when actor's prior commitments make public
>screenwriter replaced again
>concerns budget to grow to $600 million
>director leaves project
>10 years go by with nothing to show for it
>rights revert to Herbert Estate
>repeat

Quads confirm the dune curse shan't be broken

I really, really, really, really, really hope they don't fuck it up.
It would be good to have a good dune movie franchise, instead of just that turd lynch shitted out

Allow Jodorowski to direct it

If there is even one person from Game of Thrones in it, I'm out.

Sean Bean is fine tho

nice pasta

Leave dune to me

Its real this time idiot

All I know about Dune is it's a political sci-fi novel with sandworms in it.Never read the book(but i'm planning to), never seen the movie.I'll watch the movie even though lots of people says it's bad and Lynch treats it like his wife's son.My real question is, is series worth watching?Both Dune and Children of Dune?

>In September, Arrival/Blade Runner 2029 director Denis Villeneuve expressed an interest in directing a remake to Dune

The book is very heavy on internalisation, most of the "dialogue" is the characters thinking to themselves. Also much of the background is very peculiar and never really explained, at least in the first book.

Dune isn't science fiction

Nothing can beat the 80s movie

I can't accept a Dune movie without the intro with princess Irulan

It's not a faithful adaption but it is a very sympathetic one. Lynch expressed most of teh themes very well, and added a bunch of stuff to make it more filmable. The theatrical release was incoherent but the 3 hour director's cut is a magnificent movie.

it is though

What would drive a hothead to say soemthing as dumb as this?

>nothing makes me excited anymore.
Nice blog post, filthy numale.

Is series worth watching you pieces of shit?

Actually yes, it's pretty good. The visual effects are often laughable but it's a much more faithful version than Lynch's movie.

worst b8 ever

it's not bait. it's fantasy in space.

>fantasy in space

A genre also known as....?

Is this true? If the new Blade Runner turns out good, I don't see why he shouldn't direct it.

both miniseries are good BUT you have to deal with the crappy CGI and the "theatrical" approach they sometimes have, as in it's not a gritty real naturalistic tv drama of 2016
very faithful and solid watch though

You can't fit Dune into a movie. Even a trilogy. It would cheapen and simplify everything.

The only way to tell this story is a 4-5 season, high budget television show. Preferably HBO so it's at least handled with a little prestige.

fiction and fantasy are two separate things

More importantly, who will be the Baron?

Why is Dune considered this good?Fans act like it's the best thing that happened to sci-fi genre.And what's wrong with Lynch's movie?

All fantasy is fiction by definition. Science fiction is just fantasy with scientific tropes in place of fantastical ones.

>making a film about Jihad post 911

It will never happen without being gutted.

The book is fantastic, as are the sequels by Frank (the ones his son wrote are among the worst things ever created). I love the Lynch movie, some Dunefags don't because it took so many liberties with the source text but it evokes the mood of the books splendidly.

>A genre also known as....?
Science Fantasy

But why doesn't Lynch like it?I know he's an old grumpy man but what is there to hate it that much?

Dune is way too Islamic to be made in this current climate.

It was butchered in editing. If you're interested in watching it, try to make sure you get the ultra long director's cut, the theatrical release was fant4stic levels of terribad.

Spicediver fan edit is the best way to watch it

Nope.
It's Space Opera.

I'm amazed Brian Herbert is still writing Dune books

I remember thinking some of those prequel books he wrote after his father died were really terrible

>I remember thinking some of those prequel books he wrote after his father died were really terrible

They were.

haven't read the book, but i loved the movie

i loved the mythology and atmosphere of the movie and everything

you can even see how much it inspired things like warhammer 40k and star wars when you watch it, except it's even bigger, because the human empire is not just a galactic empire, it's an empire spanning several galaxies, it's the empire of the known universe

They'll rape the book anyway, but this time without love nor lube.

>legendary

Dropped.

Read the book user, you wont regret it.

No it's not.

It's a license to print money. Brian is a TERRIBLE writer, but his books still sell by the million.

Yes it is.

No it's not.

Yes it is.

There's fiction and nonfiction. It branches from those two things. Don't be a dingus.

Only shitty science fiction just USES tropes.

Good scifi has ideas, and inspires tropes.

>Only shitty science fiction just USES tropes.
It's still scifi
>Good scifi has ideas, and inspires tropes.
Just like Dune give birth to shitton of scifi tropes.

No, literature is almost always trope-based. Real experimental writing that doesn't rely on tropes is rare and generally considered exceptionally difficult to grok, for example "Finnegan's Wake".

Good story and a good writer, whatever is it scifi or not, are the keys.

Not all tropes are equal, and some tropes are less equal than others.

>Good scifi has ideas, and inspires tropes.
you mean like exactly what Dune did?

>Fantasy is a fiction genre that uses magic or other supernatural elements as a main plot element, theme, or setting.

>Google 'Dune'
>God Emperor of Mankind

Great. So not only did they copy 40k, but they're now going to be the face of new Sup Forumstards spamming edits. Can't wait till the MarySue article on it.

ok and the difference is?

and you draw the line between them where?

Man Leto II really fucked himself up senpai

I seriously don't get the pug. Leto never struck me as a man who would carry around a halpless dog like your middle aged suburbanite.

realism

How the fuck does this happen?

3000 years of metamorphosis

go on people, cast the movie.

i'd do it but i'm really shit when it comes to casting.

I'm talking for the ones here that are the bookfags.

There are 2 postulates in this story that makes me cringe a little :
- Collective couciousness used by the Bene-Gesseritt (I know that Herbert studied Young and believed that, but for fuck sake...).
- The both-side-auto-obliteration Laser and Electro-shield (herbert used this shitty explanation to avoid laser pewpew gun fights).

Is this supposed to be good? Cause Legendary fucks up everything it gets its hands on.

>Godzilla 2014
Terrible.
>New Power Rangers movie
Looks to be fucking awful.

I was going to be like "Oh cool, maybe Del Toro could do it, that would be great" but then I remembered that it's not like that that fat lazy mexican actually MAKES FUCKING FILMS THAT PEOPLE WANT HIM TO MAKE so I guess Villeneuve could take it

>LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT
With their track record it's going to be AWESOME!!

This, its too political and slow paced to be properly adapted as a film. I doesn't needs to be on HBO though, their isn't anything in Dune that wouldn't be completely acceptable on cable tv and HBO approach to cramming sex into everything wouldn't fit the series.
More like 40k completely ripped it off they didn't even bother renaming shit like lasguns and The Imperium.

Fiction: things that didn't happen happening in realistic ways

Fantasy: things that didn't happen happening in impossible, fantastical ways

Example
Hitler didn't turn and fight the soviets, he managed to diplomatically stave off conflict on the eastern front long enough to wear out the allies and defeated the reds on home territory, winning WW2. Possible, plausible. Fiction.

Hitler colluded with aethereal soacegods across time and space to manipulate the nature of reality, summoning colossal arcane beasts to decimate the forces of his enemies. Not possible, not realistic, imaginary. Fantasy.

>Clitoratz-Haderach.jpg

Blachat was good pham

I think God Emperor of Dune is better than DUNE

COME AT ME

Everyone knows Book of the New Sun>>>> Dune

Irulan was a Corrino, not a filthy Harkonnen

Paul is a Harkonnen through his unknowing mother though

the problem with a series is actors get too old.

i'd settle for a trilogy;

1-from the beginning to when paul joins the arabs
2-first 1/3 training montage, to war beginning
3-the war against the emperor, ends with paul's coronation

What was this concept art made for? Looks superb

Aka his whore mother

i agree, for me it's god > messiah > dune > children

I never even finished Children of Dune and haven't touched God Emperor but I still accept this as fact

yes but paul will be played by idris elba

God Emperor is mostly Leto 2 bitching about how all powerful he is and moping and whining that he has no waifu and eventually the Ixian Jew ruins everything but it was all just as planned

MAKE ARRAKIS GREAT AGAIN

All the supernatural elements are based off rigid developed evolution of humans in Dune. Arguable that it is based off actual sciences. It's not like they have mystical powers. It's all explained, in limited fashion.

kek

Umm 40k bit off Dune you Mook

explained by psuedoscience