What was it with this character that captured a whole generation?

What was it with this character that captured a whole generation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a6zTpsIqf-s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are so many subtle references and allegories to Nietzschean philosophy in this short scene. Hotheads will never understand.
When Agent Wilson calls Bane a "big guy" he's clearly referencing him as the Übermensch, while himself indulges in slave morality represented by the authoritarian institution that is Central Intelligence Agency. Note how Wilson never references himself as his real name. There is no individuality in him, only CIA. The essence of slave morality (represented as the "flight plan", opposed to master morality - the "master plan") is utility: the good is what is most useful for the whole community, not the strong. But he does not see beyond initial good and evil.
Also prior to the scene, Wilson shoots out of the plane without actually killing anyone. He does so out of misguided anger, furious that neither faith in god nor scientific knowledge has not given him the rest or respite he desires. At the same time, CIA shooting the sky symbolizes the death of God as a source of morality for people, leading to the unhooding of Bane, the Übermensch.
When Bane crashes the plane with no survivors, he's crashing the entire worldview based on slave morality. He's crashing old thoughts and institutions such as religions (Christianity for example). He's crashing secular humanism. He's crashing herd mentality. He's crashing even himself, as he overcomes his former self to become the over-man. In this crash, a fire rises in the wreckage - the triumph of "life" over "logic"
Then, in the end Bane reminds Dr. Pavel that "Now is not the time for fear, that comes later!" The world is necessarily moved in a cycle, endlessly repeating all past events due to finite amount of matter and infinite amount of time. In this eternal recurrence, the plane crash will repeat - again and again.
But if life triumphs over logic, the only meaning is life then is the will to power, that means the big guy will always be in charge here.
Bravo Nolan.

He embiggened even the smallest of us.

He is what every man longs to be.

Confident, handsome, strong, in charge... the list goes on.

I dream about CIA about once every 2 months. Sometimes in my dreams I am CIA, other times I'm one of his men. For those fleeting moments wrapped in my duvet, I feel like my life has purpose. Like I have a task that needs completing to keep people safe. It's a good feeling.

Then I wake up sweating, breathing heavily and staring at the ceiling like so many times before.

It's a big message

I really think about this every day. Every time I see a large male, every time I think about a plane, every time somebody mentions the CIA, every time somebody asks about a mask, every time I weigh on the scale, every time somebody mentions the want to be a Dr. , every time somebody says they're not their friends, every time somebody mentions loyalty, every time somebody mentions Batman.
Holy shit. It's a part of me now. This scene is a big guy for me, and taking over my brain must have been a part of it's plan. Of course, Bravo Nolan you're a real human being and a true detective. I don't know what to do anymore. I wake up in the middle of the night and immediately yell FOR YOU! I just can't help it. Every dream I can remember for the past 6 months has had to do with this fucking scene. Even if it's just the faintest sound of the plane. Oh my God. Please save me. Somebody. I can't take it. My life is crashing with no survivors.

dis

A perfectly cromulent analysis

Thanks for the in depth analysis.
I had never appreciated this high brow reference Nolan was making with that scene.

I'm going to go read up on Nietze now to bring a bit more depth to my understanding of CIA and Bane's interactions.

youtube.com/watch?v=a6zTpsIqf-s

i keked

The other night I had a dream that Adian appeared drunk on some game show I was watching. At one point, he looked straight into the camera and butched the flight plan line. I'm pretty sure I was laughing in my sleep from that.

Dr. Pavel, I'm S.L.A.G

Forced autism and this board being creatively bankrupt.

A noble flightplan embiggens the smallest guy

There is no doubt it had something to do with Aiden's sublime acting.

Just look at this expression.

LOOK AT IT.

It's like the Mona Lisa's smile in that it is beautifully ambiguous. Not memeing, but what is this looks even meant to convey? 100 people could look at it and take away 100 different impressions. It's wonderfully enigmatic and elusive in its true meaning. No other actor could have pulled it off and, I suspect, that even Aiden couldn't replicate it if he tried.

It was a beautiful, once-in-a-lifetime scene where everything came together just right.

Aidan messed up his lines.
He was supposed to interrupt Bane at "painful", but he didn't.
So in the end, it came out like Bane saying that he was a big guy for CIA rather than taking off the mask being painful for CIA.

I love this shithole

It was Tom's fault actually, he said it in the raided Reddit AMA.

Dubs say I'm in charge here!

No! This can't be happening! I'm in charge here!

>no dubs
THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

Well congratulations! You got yourself digits! What's the next step of your master plan?

crashing this thread....
WITH NO SURVIVORS!

>"I did it all for you, Bane! All of it!"
>"Yesh you did.... But why is what a man wantsh to know..."
>"Smee gave me the dino DNA, and Maimen put the order in. All that was left was to find a worthy foil to my plot."
>"Thanks Bane. Now you've been caught, and at last I have become the Jurassic World."
why they included this bit when the entirety of the rest of the movie had nothing to do with the park is beyond me

A had a dream once where CIA was my brother and we got chased by a giant wolf through a farm.