Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
letterboxd.com/machill54/
letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/
letterboxd.com/4you/
letterboxd.com/MrEnormous/
letterboxd.com/Mastro666/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I recently watched an Overwatch stream. It was pretty good, I guess.

what's your MOTY?

Hell or High Water but still waiting on Nocturnal Animals and Manchester by the Sea

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/

Captain America: Civil War bcause I'm a good letterboxd user

Top ten lads.

letterboxd.com/machill54/

Greasy strangler or Green room (depending on if you class as 2016)
Haven't seen much from this year though

I was really looking forward to arrival, sad it didn't click with me at all

Based machill saves another thread

Think I'll wait until the year really finishes before making a final decision on my favourite of the year.

My four recent watches were fine.

Is the remake of the housemaid worth watching? I'd never seen a really old Korean film until now, it was kind of uneven and I'm not sure what I think of the ending but the melodrama was nuts enough to be entertaining.

Dead mountainer hotel was written by the guys who did stalker, doesn't really compare to it, the story isn't up to much but the neo-noir vibe, claustrophobic location, general weirdness and the soundtrack give it an appeal.

I actually kind of prefer La Jetee to 12 monkeys. Proof that even with such a short runtime and minimalism you can tell a pretty good scifi/romance story. Didn't rate it because I don't rate shorts.

red beard was mid-tier Kurosawa, episodic plot makes it a mixed bag but the really great moments stand out and I could watch Nakadai in anything. Planning on checking out the quiet dual next.

Damn, forgot to link profile
letterboxd.com/shao_liu_ringon/
Might aswell see rogue one next week, although I expect it to be somewhere in between the prequels and original trilogy in terms of watchabilty.

>dude capeshit tehe *unironically watches star wars*

All I've seen from this year was The Witch. Did I miss much?

letterboxd.com/4you/

10 cloverfield lane was pretty good

>Mary Elizabeth Winstead
'no'

All the hyped up 2016 movies I've watched turned out to be huge disappointments: The Wailing, Witch, Green Room, Deadpool, the list goes on...

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

american honey

I've hardly seen any, so The Witch. I plan on seeing The Handmaiden sometime this week, which I'm looking forward to. Most of the films I'm interested in seeing each are unavailable until the next year, usually by way of streaming services, so I'll probably see a lot of better stuff by then.

letterboxd.com/MrEnormous/

Gonna watch Naruse's "Floating Clouds" tonight. I plan on finishing most of what's available from him on FilmStruck before moving onto Lang's filmography, which I already delved into with Die Nibelungen (fookin masterpieces, lads).

What's everyone watching?

>2 days and she still hasn't accepted my follow request
so it's not happening lads? ;__;

letterboxd.com/Mastro666/

/dropout_bear

Die Nibelungen is one of a multitude of films I've watched the first 15-20 minutes of before deciding it wasn't a good day to watch it. What did you like about it particularly? I've heard favorable comparisons to Lord of the Rings (specifically, Peter Jackson cribbed quite a bit from it) in terms of scope and mythos, but then again this is Lang we're talking about.

Probably watching The Lobster and Under the Shadow tonight, maybe finish with some Demy. Still haven't seen Bay of Angels or Model Shop.

also why did everyone start making their top/favorite films list after I did my top 50? Seems pretty suss

when did u make yours

it's because amaranth did her top 100 a couple of weeks ago

End of October

Clearly she was copying off me as well

>weeks
>six months

>I've heard favorable comparisons to Lord of the Rings (specifically, Peter Jackson cribbed quite a bit from it) in terms of scope and mythos
I assume this comparison is drawn from the battle scenes in Kriemhild's Rache (second part of Die Nibelungen), which seem like they are anticipatory of the way Jackson shoots some of the battle scenes in The Two Towers -- primarily in how the Huns (in Lang's) scale a fortress with ladders (like the orcs/goblins do), except Lang's work is much more awe-inspiring because the shots are longer, static, and you realize dudes are actually getting flung off of twenty-foot ladders and the tension and realism are ratcheted way, way up.

I think the first part of Die Nibelungen (Siegrfried) is superior, and it's definitely the best fantasy film I've ever seen. I don't wanna spoil too much, but I view it as a kind of deconstruction of heroic fantasy and myth, with the way reality usurps fantasy. The second part is reminiscent of The Iliad in how a single character's rage is able to be so monumental and destructive and consuming. Both films also have fantastic photography and set design and costume design. They're really, really good. Definitely worth the long running time.

I kinda blathered a little incoherently there, but hopefully you get the gist lol

am i gonna have to explain this again?

tsar was right though

I'll probably write something more coherent and cogent on Letterboxd eventually, but, basically, I highly recommend them, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice as film fan to not at least watch all of Siegfried.

I didn't like Hanyo to be honest. Felt kind of odd and all over the place. Also the ending destroys any impact the film could have made.

sure you were, tsar

We must secure the existence of taste and a future for non-embryo dilettantes.

what's your MOMMY?