Lowest grossing weekend for any film in the Harry Potter Universe

>Lowest grossing weekend for any film in the Harry Potter Universe
>Worst reviewed film in the series with current 72% RT score
>Literally based on a 42 page book

SOOO How do they plan on making 5 movies out of this again? People thought it was obscure that The Hobbit was turned into a trilogy, but now Hollywood is turning 42 pages into 5 full films and no one says a word? Will this series crash and burn into the ground, possibly tainting the HP name forever?

>Discuss

It's a spinoff. Don't be autistic

What does lowest grossing for Harry Potter mean though?

Only 200 million profit?

It has 76% on RT you fucking autist. Anyways all HP films are normie shit anyways so who cares

What was with all the fucking terrible panning shots and cgi worse than the old flicks at times? Isn't the first one supposed to be a+ for the sake of trying to trick people into thinking it'll be like that for the rest of the coming movies?

Just came home from watching it, maybe it's the nostalgia but I loved the movie, I actually found it more entertaining than most of the Harry Potter movies, it's much more fun and doesn't take itself too seriously, and all of the actors are much better, much much better

>more YA bait with meme actor with a stupid fishface

Same. I got everything I wanted out of it and I love the new lore.

I guess J.K. Rowling needs more people visiting her little Harry Potter attractions at Universal. It didn't make sense why they didn't do the harry potter theme parks during the peak of Harry Potter popularity in the 2000's, so I guess now they need a new series to get people on board again. But yeah this new series sucks and the title is long and confusing and the sequels are gonna have even stupider titles probably.

>nostalgia
>for a movie you just saw today

I just watched it yesterday and I already forgot about it

Waiting for the copypasta

literally same

I just watched this too and I spent the entire movie repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

I fucking hated it. I was writhing around on the floor in front of my seat for the last 30 seconds it was so painful.

>Ayy quirky fairy movie lmao
If you liked it you're in the wrong place

This shit is going to make the Prequels and the Hobbit trilogy look like the Original Trilogy and LotR. This garbage is going to be fucking putrid. They probably won't even make the planned 5 films. The third one will bomb because it's shit and they'll spin it into a Netflix Original or some other kind of hot garbage, like what happened with the Divurgent series.

Why didn't they slap the Harry Potter title on to this?
I literally didn't know this was part of the HP universe until I looked it up now.

This is literally the definition of a commercial movie.

It feels like double-dipping, even more than splitting the eighth book into two movies.

It's not so much "Hey, remember Harry Potter? Here's some other stuff from that universe!" and much more like "Hey, remember Harry Potter? Oh please for the love of christ remember Harry Potter, we desparately need the money again and we're banking on literally nothing but name brand recognition"

Contrary to popular belief, general audiences can sniff that stuff out.

Nostalgia for the Harry Potter universe, don't act like you didn't get it

They are trying to copy marvel. Everyone is.

WHERES THE FUCKIN PASTA

Well what did you expect? It's a spinoff of easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>try to rake in those sweet greasy tumblr bucks with le quirky autistic doctor who ripoff man
>he literally screeches like an autism and flails his ass in the air for no reason other than quirky lol
>whole plot is a mess, often forgetting just what in the Fuck is going on
>audience has no clue what the hell is happening until 2 hours into this shitfest
>le quirky 1920's meme complete with every 20's cliche in the book even a fucking speak easy that feels entirely out of place
>seriously why the fuck was that even in the movie other than to waste 15 more minutes of my life
>bad guy is le ebil white man meme
>he literally becomes a blonde haired blue eyed German to drive home just how incredibly ebil he is

Jesus fuck the whole thing was absolute trash. The only redeeming feature of the whole movie was doctor literally who's suit case house, which I will admit was comfy as fuck, but all the shitty generic cgi creatures inside it ruined it for me.

Tolkien is higher then shit tier mate

They didnt?

The reason why it's doing so poorly is because it doesn't have "Harry Potter and The" in the title.
Prove me wrong.

>The Great Gatsby
>Atlas Shrugged
>God tier

This is pretty much a repeat of the Hobbit. Main character isn't in half of the movie. Other characters are doing shit off to the side, bringing the narrative to a grinding halt. Half the movie is universe building.

Why the fuck is Newt even going to be in the next four movies, and how are they going to keep calling this Fantastic Beasts?

there's so much wrong with that list and so little right I wouldn't even know where to start. /lit/s opinion is utterly worthless. The most egregious shit there tho is

>complete and utter lack of any Cormac McCarthy

>the adventures of Huckleberry Finn
>shit tier
oh lawdy

so where does Fantastic Beasts rank in the franchise?

I think it's below the first three HP movies, maybe equal to the fourth and above the rest.

I quite liked it. My main complaint is that the "Obscuris" idea was so great it should have been in the original series!

But then I realized, such a phenomenon wouldn't really fit in Harry Potter. I mean, where would they find a character who was exceptionally magically powerful, called a freak, and abused to stomp the magic out of him by the family that took him in after he was orphaned?

I would agree that it's equal to the fourth, but the fourth movie is the worst in the series

switch middle tier with god tier and you're ok

Reminder 3 6 7.1 are kino

It's shit give us more Harry Potter WB, the HP movies were a godsend

Oh no, how dare they oppress white males by casting a white male as the villian!

>"Actually the correct number is 4% higher than what you stated"
>calls op an autist for the incorrect info

Might want to check yourself first user.

Magic isn't real.

>the HP movies were a godsend
what a fucking pleb. stay on tumblr or /r/flicks

You can't prove magic doesn't exist.

>Lowest grossing weekend for any film in the Harry Potter Universe

>doesn't consider most parents/kids will wait until Thanksgiving weekend to see it on their vacation

Go to bed, Disney.

The book isn't a novel, you fucking faggot.

It's just a collection of entries about all the various animals/beasts in the HP universe. There is NO story. So yes, they took the title. No, it isn't based on a novel.

Maybe pay attention.

>4th is the worst
>not 7 parts I and II

Deathly Hallows was an abomination on paper and screen, like Rowling just gave up and decided she was gonna quarter ass the fuck out of it. Eyes almost rolled out of my head. Whole time I was reading it I kept asking myself "is this really the last Harry Potter book? is this really the fucking end? is this really the culmination of the journey? this is it?"

>being this predictable
Hook like and sinker you autist

it's the "The Hobbit" of the LOTR movies

It cant be as bad as Goblet of Fire

>still here
i told you to fuck off to /r/flicks

Agreed user. Wandkino galore.

Watched it yesterday.

>3 seconds in we've got the quirky autistic special snowflake main character.

At that moment I knew mistakes had been made. I spent the rest of the movie trying not to notice how incredibly annoying this is.

>I still think this was based on a book.
Do your research before you shitpost.

But the book wasn't a novel user. It was a fantasy text book. This particular movie just follow the author of that book since there was no "story" in the text book. From what is said the movies will follow a storyline that goes into more detail regarding the wars between wizards wanting to hide magic and those wanting to be open about it. It's doubtful that the character newt will play such a central role in the movies that follow.

Goblet of fire was the last "magicall movie before it went all le super serious love story and meandering for 4 more movies

It was not the lowest grossing weekend for a HP film. That's just not true. Where are you getting these "facts"? It has a 76% on RT not 72%.

It isnt nothing is

>It was not the lowest grossing weekend for a HP film. That's just not true

You don't think it be like it is, but it do

Its a marvel movie wearing harry redditor paint just like star wars TFA was

Okay. Domestically sure. If you think that shit matters. But in total numbers it did great.

>no goethe
>translated kafka
fuccboi pls. Take your pleb shit elsewhere.

Newt gets less of a role. The story is more of the period, not a single character.

I mean, no spoilers or anything, but this movie series is spread over decades. Depp's character is basically wizard Hitler.

We gunna get wizard WWII

Yes, It is the lowest grossing opening. It made $74M while the lowest HP opening weekend was $77M.

Harry potter trio would have done 100 million more total

>Picking out a main character to base everything on

Just focus on Kowalski and think about him as the main character. Honestly, it's pretty close. He's a jolly New Yorker who helps out a socially awkward wizard and bags a hot witch waifu. All while punching out goblins and breaking down magic locks.

Where are you on the spectrum?

Of course it would, but this isn't Harry Potter, it's a new series set in the same universe.

Another Harry Potter movie would be stupid, they ended it nicely. But having a dumbledoor movie or a movie about Moony, Wormtail Padfoot and Prongs would have been a much better choice than Newt Salamander.

They're leading into a Dumbledore v. Grindelwald finale with this.

Then that might be good. I don't hate Depp as much as Sup Forums so not going to be pissed about that. Most of Sup Forums is going to hate it simply because it's Depp, and because Dumbledoor is a queer. And with Sup Forums taking over most boards the hate will just be massive.

>tfw two inteligent too enjoy anything HP related aside from HP and the Methods of Rationality

I'd call you out on missing a pasta, but this one is pretty shit so no worries

>the sequels are gonna have even stupider titles probably.
>Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2: Grindelwald and the Chamber of Secrets

I can see it

>Enjoying that shit

>Not immersing yourself in the backstory of Wizarding America, James Steward, Bartholomew Barebones, the Scourers...

Honestly, the background stuff she is coming out with for this spin off is pretty solid. Too bad it's not just a whole new book series.

Grindelwald is a much better villain than Voldemort. Voldemort is basically just some one dimensional force of evil going like "What is love, baby don't hurt me" and just killing his henchmen for shits and giggles.

Grindelwald wanted to create a magical revolution for the benefit of his magical race, and gained supporters to his ideals (rather than adopting their ideals to gain supporters like Voldy did).

probably the worst movie i've seen for 2016 besides deadpool
and no i haven't seen the new batman movie/suicide squad and captain american 3

I kinda wish that the next ones would be other titles of books from the in-universe booklist... but it kinda runs out of options fast.

"A History of Magic" would work, but the rest feel forced.

I agree, really wish it was a new book series. 0/10

That ending kinda irked me a little bit there. Especially when Everybody kills the boy and they just completely forget about him 2 minutes afterwards and cuts to your typical cheesy happy ending.

Literally the whole main cast was white tho and the only somewhat important black character wasn't portrayed as sympathetic

Why did Newt Salamander suspect that Collin Farrel was somebody else in disguise? It came out of nowhere, and there weren't really hints anywhere in the movie?

>How do they plan on making 5 movies out of this again?

They plan on making 5 films from a 42 page book? Is that why this movies plot felt tiny and simple as hell?

>killed

also biggest lies by the shills
>woah they managed to make a flick without forcing references to the other movies!!
>>same intro
>>big fucking zoom in on a paper that says HOGWARTS
>>we call dem muggles xD
>>that back and forth meme banter about hogwars being better than the american score
fuck you pr team

He never said it was a novel.
>Maybe pay attention.
Maybe grow up and stop reading children's books.

It's probably gonna be like the chronicles of narnia where it's core fan base will watch them but after awhile no one else will give a shit about them and they won't even make it past 2 movies before it gets shelved

>we call dem muggles xD
How dare they make a joke about how British and American english have different slang words
>that back and forth meme banter about hogwars being better than the american score
You mean the one fucking line in the whole movie?

The new lord aka j.d. was a lame reveal.
They make all this hype with newspaper montages.. barely mention his name in through out movie. Then, duh, the bad guys behind it all.

It's not based on the book you fucking memelord

the book is literally an encyclopedia of monsters, the movies are based on the travels of the guy who wrote the book, which were invented specifically for this movie

inb4 he changes his name to Potter at the end of the 5th movie

>tfw King literally added Dr. Doom robots that throw Harry Potter snitch bombs to Dark Tower

Where did it all go so wrong bros

This could be interesting though, because Grindelwald is supposed to gain power and influence all the way up to 1945.

Nah, he's going to survive, marry Tina, settle down in Dorset, have a kid... and then eventually one of his grandkids will marry Luna Lovegood.

daily reminder that if you endorse harry potter and/or anything related to it you directly contributed to the creation of reddit and the omg so le quirky for liking a famous shitty franchise xD cancer

>I'm not very bright.

It's not based on a book.

I fucking love this pasta

I loved it. Best cinema experience I ever had. No joke.

I actually Agree. I really loved the movie, but I felt it was really a fan movie and if you went in on it completely blind I don't think you'd enjoy it.

hey, don't be so hard on yourself

>it's much more fun and doesn't take itself too seriously

What? It literally tried to make everyone quirky as fuck. The only worthwhile plot was with Jacob's arc.

Whole thing felt like a bad fan fic and Rowling's self-announced struggles writing screenplays was apparent throughout the movie.

How does this pasta still keep getting people?

>possibly tainting the HP name forever

That won't be hard.

Because all the harry potter cancer on this board are newshits from reddit

I really wished the movie took this direction. He was the only character with an arc and void of that forced quriky shit. I was more concerned about him at the end than the wizarding world being at risk.