/Prod/

OP's interface edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/e2afpl1b
tracktion.com/products/t6-daw
javelinart.com/FM_Synthesis_of_Real_Instruments.pdf
clyp.it/mvhm4kyz
youtube.com/watch?v=BgoDbJs3PsI
clyp.it/fzgrdqot
clyp.it/fmfsv0i0
youtube.com/watch?v=M38nFbhd_Xw
clyp.it/cgdwvju1
clyp.it/kxacwqam
clyp.it/4mjvjfsa
clyp.it/ibhlerk4
youtube.com/watch?v=WIR2RvD4EJM
web.archive.org/web/20160403120912/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul02/articles/synthsecrets0702.asp
web.archive.org/web/20160403115835/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
clyp.it/bn1dhcgm
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/videos
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/videos
youtube.com/user/havic5/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for study counterpoint

Are there any good DAWs for Linux?
Bitwig seems usable at least.

Vintage gear fag here. Finally got around to recording some stuff with the newly-acquired RCA 74B. In case you ever wondered what these old mics sound like, this is raw, unprocessed vocals:

clyp.it/e2afpl1b

Surprisingly, for a 65-year old mic in original condition it doesn't sound half bad. It's hard to tell how much high end may be lost due to ribbon sag over the years, or just the frequency response of the mic itself.

You could try Ardour.

tracktion.com/products/t6-daw
Free as well.

If I wasn't completel fluent in Ableton, I would have switch to BitWig ages ago - just not worth switching over for me at this point... sorta wish it was around earlier. brilliant software.
wow that is actually very nice - though really a lot of loss in the high end but in a wonderful way. is that your voice?
i don't get the appeal of these interfaces at all. the i/o is a bit weak for the pricepoint.

Yep, that's me. I agree, I find the roll-off on the top end provides a very pleasing warm sound when combined with the proximity effect generated when recording from about a foot away. The 74B never had the wide, flat frequency response of the 44 or 77, but it is still quite a quality-built mic.

javelinart.com/FM_Synthesis_of_Real_Instruments.pdf

Worded for normal humans to understand.

Gives you the run down on how to look at a spectrum of a recording and work out what you need to synthesize it.

I'm a bedroom guitarist who just records shit at home
I use FL because I'm used to it from my producing days
I now have EZ drummer as a plugin, but I can't figure out how to EQ the separate drum samples used by EZ drummer
Put simply, I need to EQ out some of the lows from the kick, and only the kick (not the entire thing)

Really nice, thanks

clyp.it/mvhm4kyz

trying to git gud at voice. feedback appreciated

How do I get the most out of pic related?

I currently having it triggering a MPC doing a round robin of slightly pitchshifted instances of the same sample (-20 semitones for 2 hits, then +20 semitones for another 2, repeat). it's convincing enough, how do I complete the illusion though?

Wouldn't you just send your individual drums from EZDrummer to separate mixer channels in FL Studio, then you can process each separately?

youtube.com/watch?v=BgoDbJs3PsI

can anyone recommend a tutorial or a tips and tricks article on using slicex to build sample based songs?

Learn to explode the ezdrummer tracks to separate tracks in your daw. Youtube it

Best midi keyboard around $200?
Id be using it in Abelton. Dont care much for pads

yeah thanks

based first guy

damn that is comfy. Good vocals user, better than I could do. And that mic really does sound nice too

UAD plugins are more than enough reason for me, but I also really like the sound of the preamps in this thing, having the 3 and 4 out is also super nice because i have quite a few pieces of gear lying around that i can run signals through now(synths through a guitar amp are sweet), working with the actual interface itself is the best experience i've had with an audio interface in terms of how much control i have over stuff while still only being 8 buttons and i knob, and lastly the control software for it is dank. I can put an LA2A on my voice before it goes into discord and shit

I do this with superior drummer, so I'm assuming it would work with EZ drummer as well. Basically, you have to click on the channel so that the channel settings window is showing, make sure the little gear icon in the very top left is clicked, then underneath that little gear is a picture of a plug and a gear, click that, then click where it says "Processing" in that tab. Under connections here, click Auto map outputs, and if you look a bit, you'll see that each bus that's coming out of Superior/EZ drummer is now being sent to a different mixer track when you assign this channel to a mixer track. The next thing you need to do is actually set up these busses inside of EZ drummer, and i have no idea how you do this. Maybe try the video other user suggested if this is too confusing

run it into a DAW and use Superior Drummer lol

right click the typing keyboard to MIDI keyboard icon at the top and set it to "Layout Slicex" and then triggering samples with your keyboard while slicex is open will work a lot better. Besides that just dick around in the plugin man. Mess with the auto slicing and auto naming features specifically

first thing i've made in a while

clyp.it/fzgrdqot
tips for staying inspired?

What's the main differences between the three versions of Ableton from a user standpoint?
Like, my brother is getting me the Standard edition as a gift, but the Suite edition also exists, and costs more, so like, what am I losing out on?

if it helps your motivation I think that is really fucking good

This is pretty nice user. The little arp boy playing the chord progression has got me feeling all nice and stuff. Best way to stay inspired is to listen to music my dude.

Well, I guess actually the best way to get inspired is to do something that's extremely boring and mundane for a while, but unrelated to music. Like a shitty ass day job or something. I always get inspired at work

I feel like I should actually post music I've made in here every once in a while so you people don't think I'm just talking out of my ass. Here's my favorite song I've ever made!

clyp.it/fmfsv0i0

Should I stick with my stock Ableton EQ and compression plugins or should I get something from the Waves sale?

EQ8 is pretty good (Just has a shit workflow compared to Fruity Parametric EQ 2), but the C2 (or C6? Don't remember) from waves is supposed to be an outstanding compressor, and I've never really liked either of Abletons compressors (they still better than Fruity Compressor tho)

Fuck, that's loud. Mention that in your posts from now on so people don't lose their hearing.

I really like it, fag.
It reminds me a lot of this animation.
youtube.com/watch?v=M38nFbhd_Xw
How long have you been producing?

any tips on dealing with samples that have a highly variable tempo, such as jazz?

My bad user. 80% of the music I make is L O U D lmao. Will post warnings from now on

Thanks my man. I really should listen to more wave racer. About 5 and a half years I believe. But that's just with FL Studio

This is Albertsons biggest advantage over Froot Loops because they have warp markers. Has made me considered switching multiple times.

In FL Studio, I basically just try and slice out a 8 or 16 bar section, then stretch it to fit the grid. The times where it's a little off generally sound desirable to me when it's a small segment. If I need more, i clone the audio track and stretch another segment. Kind of like doing warp markers manually. It helps a ton to use the Real-time stretching algo when you do this

Made a cheesy house track to help me practice my midi/hardware setup. Not really my genre, but I'd appreciate feedback on the mix/eq/limiting.

clyp.it/cgdwvju1

Bass is way too quiet!!! Turn that bad boy up. Also, there seems to be almost no sidechaining, which is probably why you turned your bass down so low! Get that pumping going. Groove is there so I can still bob to it, but there's no FX to guide me through the track! Throw in some impacts and risers in the background, and use the good old trick of white noise into a band pass with the cutoff going up and down to help the track move along. Also, add some very long and slow changes to your main sounds. Doesn't really matter what they are, could be a high shelf EQ slow going down or like the reverb mix slowly going up or something, but it just needs SOMETHING to help guide it along. Otherwise, it's kind of a chore to listen to :P

Anyways, mix is eh, needs more saturation, stereo image work, sidechain compression, and regular compression. It's a little tough to talk about the EQing because I can hardly even the bass!

But then again I like my songs to be big sausages so what do I know ;)

>digital synthesizer
>no longer made
>no soft synths are able to replicate it's ability to manipulate sounds the same way
>elektron's replacement (analog four) can't reproduce the same sounds

why the FUCK is it so hard to create a soft synth that can emulate the elektron monomachine??

>We could be talking to Phaser right now
Precisely.

>Analyze Spectrum on a harmonica
>Mimic spectrum on FM synth muted
>Plug in headphones
>It's a harmonica
Well there you go

clyp.it/kxacwqam

what it do

Sounds like the sad mario music from super mario sunshine

Can someone explain to me what's going on with my reverb? The reverb has a weird 'woosh' apart of it. It's a TAL's free Reverb 2 and it's a plate reverb.

clyp.it/4mjvjfsa

why is it that most synths' fm stuff has the frequency parameter in pitch rather than harmonic? I'm trying to follow along with this in an app where the frequency parameter is measured in semitones and it's making it a pain in the ass

M audio 88

Just as fl studio fag said or slice them shorter and scale them chromatically

Because nobody cares about it and there are literally fucktons of better synths to emulate

What does it do exactly?
I heard it's what SOPHIE uses, so maybe it's the secred to his weird sounds.

So when did you guys realize nobody has any clue what they're doing?

For me it was when my mom's friend let me come and sit in for a mixing session at his studio. We were helping this bald middle age dude make a song about inchworms or something, and one of the guitar tracks was going into a reverb, but had way too high of a peak at around 5 KHz, making the reverb not sound so good. Mixing engineer dude was smart enough to put an EQ on the guitar track before it hit the reverb to fix this, but he spent probably 15 minutes moving a peak around trying to find the frequency when I told him it was 5K before he even had the EQ loaded.

I mean I guess the guy still knew what he was doing because middle aged bald man said "I'm standing in a forest, okay? And I want the inchworm to come out of the forest when the vocal harmonies start" and mixing engineer guy was somehow able to turn that into move some faders around, and middle aged bald guy got a huge smile and was instantly happy, but I was still pretty shocked that he couldn't associate frequencies with sound that well

Guys that work in studios are much more pragmatic. They're putting down mics and tuning guitars and dealing with artists. It's not as detail orientated. It's a job and they're more worried about capturing a sound than manipulating one. Electronic nerds spend all their time EQing Linndrum samples and sweeping lowpass filters.

It has a few different synth voices (subtractive, FM and some weird voice synthesis and sample playback stuff). The thing that makes it unique is the sequencer which can also sequence synth/effect parameters per step quickly and easily.

>The thing that makes it unique is the sequencer which can also sequence synth/effect parameters per step quickly and easily.
So it's just a workflow thing with nothing unique that would give you an end result that's unachievable using something else?

Workflow leads to different end results. I doubt the speech synthesis stuff could be easily replicated. Even things like saw waves on different synths sound pretty different to my ears. Every instrument has a distinct character.

You could theoretically build up any track ever from modulated sine waves but that's not gonna happen, is it? You're better off just getting to know whatever tools you have on hand most of the time.

So other than its particular workflow, it has a unique speech synthesis engine and its sound has a certain "character", correct?

Newbie here. How'd you analyze and do all that?

From memory it also has a weird drum machine and fairly unique implementation of detuned oscillators and FM and yeah the sequencer is crazy, promoting lots of detailed per-step automation and LFO triggering.

If for some reason you're trying to emulate it I'd focus on detuned subtractive and FM and lots of micro-editing of random parameters. It's probably gonna be a pain in the ass to do it as quickly or jam the same way you could with the hardware.

Alright, thank you.

>The thing that makes it unique is the sequencer which can also sequence synth/effect parameters per step quickly and easily.
I know its not exactly the same, but alchemy is also very good at that exact process, and it makes for a lot of really sweet sounds.

I think is just a little bit too in love with this thing. Though I don't really know much about it.

stupid question. my tracks are going into the red but they don't sound loud at all. what do i do?

Remove as many unneded frequencies possible and compress them individually, then compress the master.

Turn the volume up on your speakers ;)

Meme answer: put sausage fattener on the master and turncolor and fatness all the way up. Repeat for more loudness.

Non-meme answer do everything you can to preserve headroom in the mix by using sidechain compression, panning, subtractive EQing, and then compress/saturate each sound individually before compressing/saturating them a little less in their respective mix busses before compressing/saturating them even less on the master

T. Doesn't know what he's talking about but wants to help

No seriously that's such a heavy handed answer for such a simple problem
When I started lurking these threads desu

Your example sounds more like the guy just didn't have a good ear rather than not knowing what he was doing though- not everybody can pinpoint like that, though it's weird considering it's literally his job lol

different waves will add different harmonics duh

Jfc you're always here lol

Panning is a bad tip pretty much always, it hides problems rather than solves

Turning up his speakers is the only answer he needs but you forgot GAIN STAGING. Everybody's always so quick to jump in about adding 20 compressors and multiband shit but then forgets to leave out the arguably more important and simple details

>No seriously that's such a heavy handed answer for such a simple problem
What do you mean?

clyp.it/ibhlerk4
First wip I've put up here in a long ass time, how am I doing user?

loving the drums

Whats the best digital piano that's not going to have me eating beans for 6 months. I'm sick of using my synth action 61 key midi controller( I know that sound like a google translate ebay listing, but they're the features I mainly take issue with) for piano parts or having to source and mic pianos.
This is probs a long a shot for me price range, but anyone know what model yamaha this is?
youtube.com/watch?v=WIR2RvD4EJM

suite has a lot more instruments (the ableton synths like operator), some more effects (doesn't matter really), complex time stretching modes (quite important) and max for live (worth it)

imo suite is definitely worth it for the synths and m4l

Is there a way to split and create new tracks for each of the notes used in the piano roll automatically instead of having to manually select the notes, create a new track and paste them there?

Gotta get this mess under control.

Only on the weekends bb ;)

You're right that it's not really a he had no idea what he was doing, I guess I meant to say when you realize not everyone is an omnipotent god like you thought they were at first

I get what you mean about panning as it's sort of bad practice to assume you can fix shit mixes with panning, but I find it actually does help quite a bit for sneaking in some more headroom so I figured I'd add it in. Gain staging is def #1 tho, don't know how I forgot that so good call

>Gotta get this mess under control

It's literally 2,3, and 4 note chords with a melody over top that ain't no mess. Try having this problem with 5 note chords spanning 3-4 octaves, 3 octave arpeggios running, and a melody that's stacked in both 3rds and 5ths.

I'm jk I've never actually put all that into one MIDI channel like a fool, but I have seen savant do stuff like that without even separating them by color and my god I can't think of a worse form of torture

Those are my drums. Gotta compress and EQ and do all that good stuff to em so I imagine I'll get better control if the kick is on one track, hats are on another and so on.

But I guess I'll have to get my autism engine running and do this the hard way.
Hopefully I wont get distracted playing with all the colours again...

Holy shit rip.

Oh well, at least I was only pretending to be retarded.

Are you using a drum rack for that? Superior drummer? Either one of those will let you add effects to your drums without having to split up the MIDI

EZ Drummer. It's got a mixer but it's no where as intricate as the one in Superior Drummer.

No, It seems like I better get a nice brew going since I'll be doing this for a while.

You should be able to get the outputs of each bus in EZ Drummer to have separate effects on them in ableton, but unfortunately I don't know the program well enough.

Hopefully someone more versed in Disableton can tell you that one:/

BUT once you do have it, you should be able to save it as an instrument rack with everything routed an ready to go and then in the future it won't be so time consuming

Just create a midi track for each note, paste the complete midi in every one of them and remove the notes accordingly for each clip. Then send the all midi tracks to the same instrument track. Hope that's useful.

Cheers! I'll be doing just that.

Holy shit I'm fucking retarded.

Having a 24 bit depth doesn't mean you have 24 possible values between 0 and 1 and 0 and -1, it means the numbers for each sample have 24 binary digits (aka you have 2^24 numbers to choose from)

I was about to make a 4 bit wav file, not a 24 bit wav file, but still have it take the space of a 24 bit file because I quantized my data wrong. Rip.

Good thing I made my spreadsheet easy to correct

How many hours does it take to understand FL and most of its functions?

1-10,000 depending on your definition.

Fruity Loops is a pretty simple program at heart, you build patterns and place the patterns into a bigger playlist. You build these patterns by playing an audio file, or by feeding MIDI information to a synthesizer. Audio from each audio file or synthesizer can then be routed into the mixer, which allows you to co tell basic things like volume and panning, and add effects. Audio can be placed directly into the playlist, but MIDI cannot. If you should want virtually any parameter in the program to change depending on the current time in the playlist, you use an automation clip. I think that's p much it honestly

What I just typed will teach you the basic idea of what FL does, but it also comes with a lot of synthesizers out of the box which each have their own learning curve. Of course there are also workflow improvements within the program itself such as keyboard and mouse shortcuts that you could spend time learning. There is a huge number of settings about the way audio is processed internally that you could choose to learn about, there is the handling of MIDI from a keyboard, working within patcher, performance mode, handling audio input from an interface, all kinds of other little directions to go, but none of them are terribly difficult concepts, and you don't REALLY need to know all of them. For example, if you dont own any MIDI controllers, you don't really need to learn how to handle MIDI from one!

Of course the manual is the best place to learn all of this. Pressing F1 inside of FL will open the manual, and it will actually show you the page on whatever you're currently doing. So if you have sytrus open and push F1, it will go the page on sytrus

>clyp.it/fmfsv0i0

YOU PEOPLE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN MY FINAL FORM

This is what I was trying to tell you guys but oh no
>louder is better!

>create decent build and drop
>listen to it 100 times until you are sick of it
JUST

That's some skills, impressive

That's highly nonstandard, if it isn't using ratios for the operators then it's just a piece of shit and you need a better synth not designed for nose-pickers.

Thanks

Thinking of buying some JBL LSR 305s as my first studio monitors cause I'm a poorfag.

Will I need an interface of some kind to connect them to my laptop?

I'm really new to this.

Repeat daily for 4 years until you end up on medication for clinical depression and anxiety due to not achieving your goals and not having a single track to show for those 4 years of daily production.

stop listenin to it dumbass, keep that shit muted

fuck you need to hear it for, you insecure or something?

you can see where the snares is what else you want

>Will I need an interface of some kind to connect them to my laptop?
No.

>>Will I need an interface of some kind to connect them to my laptop?
yes you do. unless you somehow have 2 mono outs from your laptop.

seems the wrong thread to post in
the needle on my sonotone 3509 missed the pick up lines on the edge of the record and got wrecked

I was going to get a replacement Ks40a stylus for 8 usd
but wonder if a newer cartridge with less tracking force would be better (3509 cart seems to operate ok between 3 and 4 grams)
so far looking at 1.5 to 2.5 gram carts

goldring elektra
nagaoka mp110
godlring g1006

Protip for HiHat Synthesis

808 hihats aren't actually noise in a resonant filter, that's more of an older method like Acetone or Hammond drum machines.

They're actually a dissonant collection of square waves tuned to such frequencies that don't align harmonically passed through two resonant filters, a highpass and a bandpass parallel, which provides a more metallic and buzzy sound than plain noise.

Imagine the real world mechanics of these two thin metal discs when struck. They warp and bend around very fast, faster than we might see, and hit each other over and over very fast as they vibrate. The pulses of the square waves try to get this buzzy vibrating rattling combined with the inharmonic metallic spectrum.

web.archive.org/web/20160403120912/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul02/articles/synthsecrets0702.asp Here's a Quality article on hihat synthesis.

web.archive.org/web/20160403115835/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm And even more quality articles.

I FUCKIN DID IT BOYS. I GOT A .WAV FILE OUT OF EXCEL.

Now I have to get it off my work computer and onto my phone or home computer then on to clyp for yall

Okay, apparently I fucked up big time. I THINK I know where I fucked up, but not sure. Uploaded the file anyways. It's basically cursed. It's extremely fucking quiet, super crackly and distorted, but maybe someone will want to download it, normalize it, then experiment with these weird spreadsheet sounds

clyp.it/bn1dhcgm

I'm sure this sound will be hip when our grand kids are tweens.

What is this sound anyway?

I've spent the last 3 weeks at work messing about with Fourier Transforms in Microsoft Excel, and that led me to come up with the brilliant idea of making a list of 352,800 numbers in excel to use as samples in my own .wav file. Basically just to learn this stuff at the lowest possible level and because I've been bored. I thought I had it, but I see that I still have more to learn

Newfag here, do you need to know formal music theory b4 going into producing?

No. But it's very(very) useful to know how to construct things like major and minor chords and know what a scale is.

Does anybody know any good videos on making medieval music?

Well, minimal techno like most people here doesn't seem to need it since it's just kick bass kick bass and maybe a plucky sound every half minute that you can take an afternoon finding a good note for.

But having some idea of how music works is going to be useful.

I mean, if you don't know how music works, what do you plan on producing? And how?

youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/videos
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/videos
youtube.com/user/havic5/videos

Check the playlists for entry-level music theory info, explained by real music teachers with visuals and talking in ways that aren't incredibly dry.

Get this book. It does not teach you how to make this kind of music, but it gives an overall perspective on its history. It will help you because it describes really well how the musical innovations of a certain period came to be and how they work.

what's a good alternative to Ableton's EQ, they suck. Also how do you get that big spectrum analyzer?

thx m8s