Opinions on this movie?

Opinions on this movie?

good

Well, i was a big fan of Final Fantasy back then and for me this movie was an insult to all Final fantasy fans. But i guess it had pretty visuals and an average sci-fi story.

The dream is always the same...

Hey, this isn't about Cloud!

really angered up my blood

i refuse to watch this shit again

FF: Advent Children moved me to tears

It wasn't that bad.

soulless cgi made by soulless chinks based manchild video games for manchild video gamers

why are you on Sup Forums?

Saw this in theatres. Thought it would be like one of my videogames. It was an aggressive waste of time

I liked it. The visual aesthetic wasn't overly weeby like the other Final Fantasu toons. Shame about cg Ben Affleck played by Alec Baldwin.

I liked it as a child first because I was stupid and it looked nice

Then I hated it as a teenager because I realised they fucked up having the story be so different to the games.

I like it now as a wizard for what it is but understand they fucked up and it was there own fault it flopped

>cg Ben Affleck
The real Affleck's facial expressions are more robotic than a cg version of it.

It was shit when I had autism, now it's not so bad

I had to put my aunt and cousin through this shit. And it led to Squaresoft being bought by Enix and all the blunders since then.

>this movie is too different from the games in the series which is based around every installment being different reeeeeeeeee

Which game would make the best movie and why would it be FFVIII?

I was a ff fan back in the day and the movie was so bad i walked out of the theater

I wasn't a big fan of the games, although I had played FF3 (6?), FF7 and FF9 before watching this, and I really liked this film at the time of its release, and still do. Everything from the story to the CG is pretty great.

>games are high-fantasy taking place in fictional worlds

>movie is standard sci-fi taking place on earth.

XII or X

I don't really know all the much about the series, but they're definitely not exclusively what you'd consider "high-fantasy". Maybe the first few games where pure fantasy, but technology has always played a big role in the games.

The only reason people don't like it is because it's called final fantasy. fun fact the director was the original creator of final fantasy and was forced out of the company when the movie bombed.

Gave it another shot a few months ago, thinking it was better than I remembered.

It really isn't. The animation is decent, and the design behind the sci-fi soldiers and walled city are fantastic and have inspired games and movies in the years since. But that's where the praise ends.

As everyone ever has already said - it has nothing to do with the games. The only line you can draw is that it shares the 'Gaia' motif with FF7 or FFX, the world soul thing, but it's a stretch.

What really kills it is the writing and the acting. Neither play to the strengths of mo-cap, it's so cheesy and overwrought yet dull and cliche.

The general scifi concept is cool. The post-apocalyptic world with these invisible aliens that can only be seen with those particles. Anyone outside the walled cities could just die in a second upon contact with one, and you'd never see them coming without proper equipment. Neat.

They fucked it up though. I feel bad for the animators the most. I used to know one of the compositors on the film, and he was proud of the work he was doing at the time in Hawaii, they all were. It's just a shame that like many Hollywood movies, it was in service of diarrhea

not really, they have ranged from high fantasy to post apocalyptic, science fiction, steampunk, cyberpunk. The whole point of the series is that every game is its own self contained thing with no relations to the other and yet the fanbase is so fucking retarded that it will scream betrayal at every change, which makes absolutely no sense. Final Fantasy fans always confused me because they don't seem to enjoy it at all

>no moogles
>no chocobos
>no magic
>no summons
>no swords
>no characters with ridiculous anime fashion
How is this a Final Fantasy?

It's a nicely executed sci-fi genre flick but outside of that it is intensely mediocre and hasn't aged well. Spoopy alien ghosts, neat tech, some fun ideas and an interesting world are more than you get with most sci-fi movies but it really fails at everything else.

>As everyone ever has already said - it has nothing to do with the games.
>Final Fantasy
>complaining about it being different from other installments

+1 good
i saw it day one at kino

Animation is incredible for the time and there's some solid designwork but as far as storytelling goes they fucked up rather hard. James Woods is just about the only thing carrying them on that front. They got more big names but he's the only one who really makes it work.

it doesn't have qtes

9 out of 10

I saw it for a second time pretty recently, last time was when it came out so I didn't remember much about it. I know it's a pretty bad movie but I felt some kind of weird nostalgia about it and I started thinking it's not completely irredeemable.
I like that it's an attempt to translate parts of the Final Fantasy mythology (the whole Gaia thing) into a setting that they thought would appeal to westerners. I just really like the spiritual aspects of it. It makes it sort of unique among other big sci-fi films that have come out since the movie's release. It's a mixture of Western and Japanese sensibilities.
I don't think anyone unfamiliar with the series would find this movie nearly as interesting as I do. I think it's a pretty bizarre and entertaining artifact from a time when Square's golden age started to crumble. Also the whole notion of turning Aki Ross into a "virtual movie star" seems so amusing now that you can see how bad the CGI looks today.
The score by Elliot Goldenthal is also seriously underappreciated.

You spelled FFVI wrong

It's a murderer of people's time

Amazing cgi for the time and still looks good today but the extremely generic Hollywood plot in attempt to better appeal to Americans really ruined the whole thing and was a big FU to the fans of the games.