I don't know how to listen to music critically

I don't know how to listen to music critically.
I don't know how to defend what I like or justify what I don't.
I don't know how to describe music.
I don't know how to compare and contrast similar pieces.
I can't explain why a piece of music is good or bad.

So can you do any sort of critical thinking or are you just a turbo-brainlet?

Just have fun with it, user. It will come with time. Do you play an instrument or know any theory?

Niether can I, but who cares
i come here to laugh and act like a retard

no one on Sup Forums can do this, you're fit right in

learn music theory, then listen to songs and identify the theoretical concepts you can hear, eg. "i like the use of the major sixth in the melody, it complements the root chord" or "i like the syncopated 3/4 bit" or stuff like that

that all comes from not listening to enough music and/or not paying enough attention to it

I'm 100% musically illiterate but even I can describe shit like fantano with "trap flavored beats" and "glowing crescendos", pick out influences and similar bands etc. just from listening to a lot of shit

the problem is most people listen to the same shit they like over and over again, you have to go out of your way to listen to new shit and most of the time it feels like mining for gold

this + read how good critics write about music (classical and jazz critics) and think about whether you agree or disagree with them and then try to think about why.

this

lmao no one who actually finished music school ever thinks like that
unless they are autistic I guess
it's like becoming a chef and thinking about food taste in chemical terms

>chef thinking about food taste in chemical terms
lol no

I think like that. It just helps me describe what I like hearing.

>it's like becoming a chef and thinking about food taste in chemical terms
no it's like becoming a chef and thinking about cooking theory and tradition

chefs thinking in chemical terms would be comparable to musicians thinking about sound waves, frequencies, and diffusion.

>food analogies
Imagine being so fat you look at music and see food.

This

>HAHAHAHAHA LE I MAEK DUH ARGUMENT STUPOD LIKE I AM SO I CAN ATTACK IT EASIER LOLOLOLOL
Retard

I agree, although sometimes me and my mates will actually talk about songs and think about sound waves and frequencies, since we're audio engineers and we've actually studied that aspect of sound.

Everyone who finishes music school thinks this way. The thing is that its so internalized that they dont need to articulate it even to themselves. They recognize the time signature, the key, the harmonic tools and so on as they hear the music. They dont actually think to themselves "its in 3/4" or "ah, its clearly modal" while listening, but they recognize it and appreciate it.

How much music have you listened to and how long have you listened to it? To me i just have listened to a lot of music and know what is good sounding to that genre. Genres im not familiar with i normally cant analyze tho, i think that's just natural. Don't listen to the whole "know music theory" meme, im a music student and I know you dont need to know what a phrygian mode is describe music and be somewhat knowledgeable.

user maybe you shouldn't be attempting to argue online, you look pretty silly right now

Bloo blookb brebbbblleeebbbdd bliibbliibbdddy bliiiibbbddd nobbbbbbd :DDDDDDDD

yeah alright

This fatass is so angry

/thread
everyone below is a tard.
well done user.

I want to hug Kumiko.