Prince was the greatest artist of the 80s

Prince was the greatest artist of the 80s.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sLJNXUTpsgs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>made less than a dozen good songs
lol no

True, but the 80s were mostly shit so it's not hard.

DUDE SEX LMAO

was able to pull off a few classic singles which is more than can be said of most artists, but no. pretty overrated in many ways actually, hardly even a funk artist though of course white people love him because they get to listen to white music while listening to a black person.

You guys should try actually listening to his albums sometime, he has at least five 10/10 albums, 2 of witch are double albums.

Hardly anyone has listened to him. On Sup Forums or otherwise

That's not The Smiths

name the 10/10 albums

Dirty Mind
Sign of the Times (my favorite)
Parade
Purple Rain

yep. he might not be my favorite but he's the greatest. embodied the decade, managed to become top tier popular without compromising himself, many classic releases, etc. and his work isn't dated like some similar contemporaries. he's the kanye of the 80s.

6/10
6/10
3/10
haven't heard
7/10

cool, nice opinion brah

I liked Purple Rain in college, and for a long time, that's as far as it went. Raspbery Beret would play on the local rural radio regularly. I did like that one.

Never been a huge fan, but a few years back, I thought, "that guy's gonna die someday. (Somehow, I think he'll die younger, Michael Jackson style, being a black guy and all). And when that day comes, I want to be able to say that I knew more than one of his albums."

So I got 1999 on general principles, spun it a few times, okay, fine, now I've been. That's where I left it, and then he died. I cruised First Avenue's crowd on the night that he died, and though I was never a big fan, I did feel good that I'd tried some other stuff beforehand, so as not to be the cunt that buys the stuff only after the artist is dead. I tried Prince on and it's nice but it's just not my favorite.

I remember the Sheriff's department in the next county doing very well in the immediate pressers afterwards, so that was cool too.

>album contains head and sister
>10/10
nope, it's a fact that that isnt a 10/10

Not who you were replying to, but...
>Play in the Sunshine
>The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
>U Got the Look
>I Could Never Take The Place of your Man
>The Cross
>It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night
>Adore

>3/10

Sign o the Times is a Funk and R&B masterpiece, come on.

those are peak prince

also i don't think any prince album is 10/10 personally but there's a lot of 8-9/10s

it's far overlong and most funk and r&b masterpieces were recorded in the 70s

only white soyboys with shallow appreciation of r&b would listen to that album and consider it anything special

you mean other than every prominent black musician though right? i mean it's hard to name black people that DON'T love prince so i'm not sure where you are coming from

prince is the only r&b artist you'll hear on white radio stations more than black radio stations

I was about to respond with a well-thought-out argument, then I saw the word soyboy and decided it wasn't worth the effort

>I was about to respond with a well-thought-out argument, then I remembered I'm a white soyboy and realized I had no argument
FTFY

he still gets played a shitload on both tho. he's more soyboy friendly than most r&b artists but it doesn't mean he's not liked by black people also

what are your top 5 r&b albums outside of prince
i never said he wasn't liked by black people, i'm just saying that anyone that calls sign of the times one of the all-time r&b greats is clearly someone that was never exposed to very much r&b growing up

but you said only white soyboys would think it was special. which is plainly not true. anyway this whole thing just reeks of "prince isn't black enough" which is just annoying

This song (thanks melonhead) reminded me a lot of Prince or Yaz: youtube.com/watch?v=sLJNXUTpsgs

other guy's ratings were better honestly

Yep.

lol this is the whitest post i've read in while. Always funny seeing a white person say that Prince wasn't black enough.

go to bet.com's top 20 r&b albums and it's purple rain in there, not sign of the times, and emphasizes the singles
i never said that, i said that his fans are disproportionately white because he composed a lot of non-r&b pop music

t. whiteboy

yeah, you're basically saying he's not black enough. you're one of those corny white kids that thinks you "aren't like the rest of them" but you're probably worse than the average white guy.

>blackness is tied to the music you make
wew

>most underrated guitarist

His music has more layers to it than most people realize.

Wow I completely forgot he died. WTF

He really is. The Purple Rain solo is one of my favorite guitar solos ever. Dude was insanely talented.