Why don't you make your own movies, guys? [DAILY THREAD]

Why don't you make your own movies, guys? [DAILY THREAD]

Just start with some basic things:
>A smartphone that records 1080 or 4k.
>An editing software, like DaVinci Resolve (the basic edition is free, and you can do lots of things).
>A good story (adapted to your limited resources).

If you want something a bit more professional, use a stabiliser, an anamorphic lens, perhaps even some illumination. If you do it well, you'll get something more satisfying than what most commercial movies do nowadays.

USEFUL LINKS:

>DaVinci Resolve:
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

>Aspect Ratio:
blog.chameleondg.com/post/111891072017/resolution-aspect-ratio-cheat-sheet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

>Free screenwriting software list:
scriptreaderpro.com/free-screenwriting-software/

>Techniques:
lavideofilmmaker.com/filmmaking/film-techniques.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinematic_techniques

>Cheap comedy scene, easy to produce:
youtube.com/watch?v=GorLBm35ZkE

According to some user:
The new Panasonic G80/G85 has 4K video with 5-axis stabilization for under $1000. That's absurdly good for the price. The inbody stablization means you can use it like a steadicam without needing an additional $300-$500 gimbal.

Advice of the day: "Never use Comic Sans"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SCTSCAQzY9k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have zero interest in making content, I only wish to consume good content to fill the huge void that is my life.

Let me repost this question.
I was editing some drone videos. Do you guys think that this color profile is too exaggerated?

a bit, lower the contrast

test

FPBP

i've seen worse in actual blockbuster movies

t. Transformers colour grading.

because then I will be forced to face the reality that my movie is even worse than all the movies I say are shit.

Practice makes perfect.

I'm writing a pilot script right now, I wouldn't mind shooting a bit of it to show how it could be, but that would mean I would have to tell people, and my family, I wrote stuff.

I don't even have any idea if its good or not either, i dont want to show someone the script and have my family think its fucking dumb

"Good" is subjective, user. Find somebody whose judgement you respect, and think of it without trying to justify yourself. Of course that person will never be 100% right, but at least will give you another opinion.

Random inspirational vid:
youtube.com/watch?v=SCTSCAQzY9k

>that video
kek

I guess thats another problem, I respect my families opinions, but none of them are really into television or movies like me, none of them watch the stuff I find good. I guess I need to find some friends who also want to make movies and stuff.

nothing wrong with high saturation if done right

Wheew. Asians are yellower than ever.

ahahah :D

I'd love to start even a low budget production but I don't have any friends I can count on to participate and I still know jack shit about editing.
I'm also not of enough age to pursue film school

>inb4 "film school is for retards you should just go straight to film"
I don't live in America and I intend to move there and I'm going for film school not to learn about making film, but for trying to make friends and contacts I can rely on. I can't just crash land on a foreign country and expect to get a job. I at least need to have contacts I can rely on.

>America
Old continent is the best continent.

Don't go to film school. Take some classes, meet people there. It would be a shockingly idiotic waste of time and money. I don't care how passionate you are. It's not worth it, ever

thank you successful writer/director who post on Sup Forums

>Implying he's not Christopher Nolan, hiding behind 7 proxies.

im writing a great script as we speak. it involves rain assulting the ground, 2 colossoi and one snapped neck. shit is gonna be so kino just you wait!

there are tons of successful directors who didn't go to film school and tons of successful directors who did. none of them could tell you whether or not film school is worth it but in any field that has tons of successful people in it who didn't have a formal education it's clearly at the very least unnecessary.

Sorry, you're right. I'm not a successful filmmaker.
Please spend thousands of dollars and two + years of your life making movies about your feelings and learning things that definitely can't be learned, for free, online, right now.
Your experience will undoubtedly make up for the debt you accrue and the lack of job opportunities that will await you when you walk into the real world wearing your beret and scarf, holding your DSLR up to a homeless man because you want to document his amazing story of human suffering. If it comes to it your parents can fund your first film, they'll have already wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars raising you, I'm sure they won't mind shelling out just a few more hundreds so their dreamer artist son can play director with his friends.
No point in getting a degree that's actually worth something and making your movies in your spare time -- that's something normal people do! You're an artist, and you're not going to compromise when it comes to your passion, even if it means negating years of education and essentially saying fuck you to anyone who ever spent money getting you through life

>A good story
stopped reading here

I know it's a waste of money, I've been told that before.
Again, as I said, I'm not doing it to actually learn about film making. I intend to do it because I just don't have anyone I know in America, and I'd rather arrive with a student visa and from that point obtain legal citizenship.
I just don't have a choice in this. I can't just arrive in America and expect to trip and find contacts that will help me get where I want, I need to look for them. And film school is ultimately a place where I can find them. University seems like a good place to start if I want to have a taste of using expensive equipments and getting that little bit of networking. As much as I'm terrible at making friends, at least 10% of them will make it into the film industry and these dudes will be my foot on the door.
At the very least I can practice with the equipment available at a film school that I wouldn't be able to buy on my own.
Remember, I'm not going there to learn about filmmaking, I intend to already get there with at least a few shorts of my own.

On all regards, I'd love to not have to go to film school, but since I don't live in America, nor do I really have friends or contacts in America, I'm afraid I just don't have a choice.

>just write what you know

kek

I directed two shorts. Got into some festivals and won some awards.

I'm planning on my next short but its larger in scale so it needs more money (per locations and amount of days to shoot).

In the meantime I'm just working in the industry. I worked on the new Pierce Bronson western series for AMC and did some day playing on the new Robert Rodriguez movie.

Why are you so transfixed on America? What country are you in? If you're just going for contacts who'll get jobs in the industry and you can't do that where you live, at least go somewhere cheaper, like Ireland / UK.
College in America is the worst for student debt, going over when you know no one would only make that worse

Where are you from?

I live in Brazil, where the opportunities for a career in filmmaking are terribly, terribly limited, and the industry is way too controlled by the major television networks rehashing the same shitty comedies. I will never be able to make a career here, nor do I want to.
I just chose America because it seems like the place with the biggest opportunities for doing so (and because I already intended to move to the US one day).
Of course, if a place like the UK presents a better choice, while also being cheaper, then I would of course move there. America is just my first choice.

Sounds promising. What do you do in the industry? I mean, what is your job there?

Are pedos deep inside the industry, or it's just a meme?

You should definitely look into the UK then, Scotland especially. See if there's any grants you could get. The BBC always have student film competitions etc. Just avoid the US if you can at all. It's extortionate what they charge for university

I would but I'm a friendless autist who can't communicate to save my life. Even going to film school "to make contacts" and "meet people in the industry" like it's been said in this thread wouldnt work for me. The alternative is relying on the extreme autism and eccentricity but that would require a lot of talent, so idk how to even begin. I've been watching vhs films done with a budget of 2000US$ and I can't imagine how I would do something like that, it would recquire knowing a lot of people and being really courageous to put yourself out there completely raw. At least in film school you make shit but everyone else also is.
>tfw poladoful ganhou uma bolsa pra estudar cinema no UK por um video bosta de comedia sobre o gato dele

Get some red pills, go to the gym, stop being a pussy
Unless you actually have autism you can save yourself from your social ineptness

Olha anão, eu sei como você se sente. Eu também sou péssimo pra fazer amigos e não me dou bem em situações sociais (Asperger é osso mas fazer o que), mas é uma coisa que você vai ter que aprender.
Esse user está certo. Queira ou não, você vai ter que aprender a pelo menos negociar ou fazer amigos. Caso contrário você simplesmente não vai a lugar algum.

>The alternative is relying on the extreme autism and eccentricity but that would require a lot of talent, so idk how to even begin.
Estuda, estuda pra caralho, assista muitos filmes, e desenvolva o seu autismo. Canalize seu autismo pra algo útil. Leia livros como Sculpting in Time do Andrei Tarkovsky, What is Cinema de Andre Bazin, Film Form de Sergei Eisenstein, Making Movies de Sidney Lumet, estude fotografia e a filosofia de estéticas, etc. Se você acha que precisa de extremo autismo e excentricidade, então por obséquio desenvolva esse autismo obsessivo e excentricidade, caso contrário você não vai a lugar algum.

I appreciate the advice, I'll definitely look into it.
>The BBC always have student film competitions etc.
I did not know of this and this actually sounds great to me because I've always wanted to work making nature documentaries for BBC.
I appreciate the help greatly.

Yep, you can submit shorts to them, usually the prize is they go on their online player but it means they'll know you and might eventually give you work.
My cousin worked for them as a low - mid level producer, they're very keen on keeping their content fresh.
Good luck pal

They never made a movie about a 4channer who pisses into bottles and keeps them in his room.It could be a nice comedy.
You can also include commentary about the environment, after all only recently did we acquire the knowledge to manufacture plastic bottles to keep piss in.