Most powerful wizard on the continent

>most powerful wizard on the continent
>uses magic 3 times total in a 11.4 hour runtime

Dumbledore is better in the magic department.

He's some sort of lower god though

It wasn;t his place to interfere but really guide others

Why didn't Gandalf just leave the ring in outer space after battling the balrog?

>guys I know close to his 30s obsessese over harry potter
>actually being a diehard fan a preteen children's movies
Mind explaining the fuck went wrong inside of your heads? At least lotr is smart fantasy with some mature themes and symbolism. How childish do you have to be to still like harry potter past 15?

I never read the books but I vaguely remember reading online that he can only use his powers when something is directly threatening his life which is why he went balls out against the balrog but didn't use anything in the battles of men because it would of directly influenced it too much.

i only said dumbledore is better in magic than gandalf.

>uses his powers against balrog
>still gets btfo

dumbledore fucking sucks

This series is shit

>At least lotr is smart fantasy with some mature themes and symbolism
I'm laughing my ass off.
>Jackson
>symbolism

This x1000

His purpose was to guide men and elves against Sauron. The Value would never again directly intervene in Middle Earth since they destroyed half of it last time.

>super powerful being of goodness wants to help mortals fight the super power being of evilness but only a little bit because their fate is ultimately in their own hands
>doesn't matter if the whole world gets slaughtered or enslaved in the end
I hate this meme. Why is it considered good writing?

no the movies you dumb fucking retard

movies are like a promotional thing for the whole thing aka the books

Gandalf never had the ring

Because only if the middle earth is hopeless should they invervene.
This was just about taking a ring some lower god made to a volcano
When things are really fucked even gods intervene, this is a small event in the entire story

>lotr
>jackson

harry potter was written by Steve Kloves then?

fucking retard

Because things went so well last time they intervened.

this guy gets it

If you (someday?) read the books, using his power was a signal to other powerful mages (i.e. Sauron) that he, Galdalf, was about. I don't THINK it was a n actual GPS location, but they would know roughly where he was. Not the best tactic when trying to sneak the most sought-after item in the world into their enemy's territory. So, he used very little magic, and only when really needed.

It's not fucking Wheel of Time m8

This. When gandalf was leading them across the mountain he says he can make fire but it advertised his position. Then he let the fire and told the fellowship he pretty much just said 'gandalf is here' to other Wizard types

what happened? pls spoonfeed

>he can make fire but it advertised his position
literally tactics 101. nothing to do with magic

Coz gods don't give a fuck

>lotr
>jackson

You're on the television and film board go back to /lit/ because I don't care

>harry potter was written by Steve Kloves then?
>fucking retard
has to do with direction you embryo

The orcs used dragons horribly
Could've wrapped up the war in a month

It's like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Sure you can stick your head in the chocolate river, but that will lead to your demise.

Morgoth happened. Read Silmarillion if you're curious.

>>super powerful being of goodness wants to help mortals fight the super power being of evilness but only a little bit because their fate is ultimately in their own hands
>>doesn't matter if the whole world gets slaughtered or enslaved in the end

That is literally the basis of pretty much all religions on earth though.

not him but that just adds credibility to his point. i know i'll get fedora memed but religion is so hard to buy into for that exact reason. makes sense that a story with the same theme would be hard to buy into as well

>He considers fantasy fanfic by a contemporary writer serious literature

Haven't you watched that Futurama episode?

>Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket.

>When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

>Sensing a person from the other side of the country is tactics 101

mature themes and symbolism
mfw when the theme is the simplest good vs evil

but if he went all guns blazing, even if the notice him, his magic should be enough to fuck them all up.

its just shit writing.

mfw most powerful magician

protip: wizard > magician

>complains about lack of cheap plot devices

Magic is for writers who can't develop decent plots.

>but if he went all guns blazing, even if the notice him, his magic should be enough to fuck them all up
Why, because you say so?

This is Tolkien, not D&D.

Sauron corrupted Numenor (Atlantis) into Morgoth (satan) worshipers, with himself as high priest. They attacked the the Valar (angels) who lived in the Undying Lands, so Eru Illuvatar (God) sunk Numenor, and made the world round so that no one (except the elves) could sail to the Undying Lands ever again.

Op wrong.

Spells cast by Gandalf on-screen:

Pyro kinesis
Remove curse
Spell shield
Light
Weather control
Telekinetic blast
Talk to animals

And that's just off the top of my head

Low level wizards have not much spells.

I think a lot of people don't know that the whole reason it's Middle Earth is because the men/elves went to war with the gods and were punished. Every time the gods try to help the mortals they fuck it up. So they are just letting Middle Earth play out. Elves are able to come over whenever they want and the humans can just live and die and Eru will handle them

I love it when people talk shit about stuff that they don't understand or haven't read.

He's literally not allowed to use his full power because that's what started the whole mess in the first place.