Should I learn mandolin, banjo, or violin?

Should I learn mandolin, banjo, or violin?
Already play guitar well. Have played for a long time.

Ableton

mandolins bad ass, but violin is sophisticated af. toss up for me.

Mandolin is great, definitely go for that. Banjo is also pretty fun, while violin is gonna take a LONG time to get even remotely good at.

Already ableton

2 for mandolin. Thanks. Do you think violin would really be that hard? Intonation and bowing would obviously be a serious thing to learn but I feel like since I already have well developed pitch recognition I could figure it out in not too long.

you won't be able to actually learn any of them if you can't even decide if you want to really play them or not

I really want to play them all and I'll learn them all over the next few years. It's a matter of which one I spend the money on first.

Trust me, violin is hard as shit. I can play upright bass pretty well and cello decently, but violin is a whole new thing. The main reason for the difficulty is the viewing perspective. If you look at it from a sideways perspective like every other string instrument, it's fine, but violin is played looking down from the bottom, and that REALLY throws you off. Everything from bowing to intonation gets completely fucked. I have perfect pitch and a have good bowing skills, but that doesn't help at all. Seriously, if you really want to learn violin you should get a teacher otherwise you'll be miserable.

Haha, shoot. Thanks for the advice.

tenor banjo or mandocello or both

be a man of class

well since you already play guitar, a mandolin seems to be the most logical to me if you are goign to pick up the violin later. the violin and mandolin are tuned the same, in fifths. so since you already play guitar with a pick i assume, learning mandolin will set you up for violin.

however, learning the violin is like 5 years minimum until you start sounding half-way decent so you should've really started playing violin yesterday.

you won't be able to learn all three really well within one lifespan anyway, so pick the one you actually want to learn, and not the ones you just think "would be cool" to know.

Yeah, I'm thinking mandolin probably, partly cuz of the fifths tuning thing. Good gateway to a lot of other instruments.

So now I wonder... mandolin or bouzouki....

Yeah, tenor banjo is like regular banjo but easier because of the wider string spacing. Even though it's generally tuned differently (G, D, A, E), you can easily tune the strings to a regular banjo tuning (D, G, B, d), plus it doesn't have the extra drone string so that's out of your way. If you do go with banjo, go with this.

Bouzouki isn't all that great. Mandolin is good because it's higher pitch (meaning you can go higher than a guitar) and small (thus easy to bring with you). Most bouzoukis are either tuned like a mandolin (but an octave down) or the four highest strings of a guitar. Both have a very distinctive sound.

Go.piano.
Another stringed instrument barely counts as learning a new instrument

"irish" bouzouki are great

Yeah the range thing is a good point. Mandolin would be more useful for my recordings probably. A style of F style mandolin? Anyone know a lot about mandolins? From what I gather, A's are more open sounding, F's are louder and more focused.

should i eat cranberries, strawberries or blueberries for breakfast? already ate blackberries for breakfast. have eaten black berries a long time.

>banjo
>tenor banjo
>mandolin
>bouzoki
lol, there is no consistency here.
you can't just point at a random instrument and say "lol this one is cool let's learn it", you have to actually listen to music featuring that music and actually like that music enough to sit and learn it for hours and hours.
So do you like bluegrass or folk then, since you want to learn mandolin, violin, banjo etc? Or do you want to play eastern european music, since you mentioned the bouzouki?

this thread is larping

I use both and it doesn't really make a big difference.

Really? Is it mainly a visual style thing then? No consistent difference in sound?

As stated, already play guitar. Spent thousands upon thousands of hours playing over the last 12 years. Know what's involved in learning instruments. Better than you'll ever be most likely. Not "larping". Just having a fun conversation about some different instruments. Your attitude is bad.

>there is no consistency here.
all four strings all picked play one you can play them all minus dank as fuck clawhammer/finger pick banjo

>Better than you'll ever be most likely.
lol k

from what I can hear, F style has a brighter tone while A has a slightly mellower tone, I've used them both for country, bluegrass, celtic, classical, prog rock, and general folk and it's been fine. you should be fine with whichever style you choose.

Cool. Thank you. Do what the best sounding pickup systems tend to be? Piezo of some kind?

couldn't help you there, my acoustic-electric mandolin has regular pickups, i've never used piezo before

oh and just to throw this out for OP cigar box guitars are fun as fuck