Board about music

>board about music
>the vast majority of the discussion on the board is actually about the poetry that accompanies the music

But Sup Forums is filled with brainlets that insist lyrics don't matter

The poetry is music too

Lyrics aren't poetry, they're lyrics. I don't get why this is so hard for people to understand. They can have poetic or prose like qualities but if something is deliberately being written with the intent of having it set to music then it stops being literature. It results in an inherent interplay between the words and the music and makes them inseparable.

Quality thread

>but if something is deliberately being written with the intent of having it set to music then it stops being literature.
What if I just show you some words written down and give you no other information? How would you judge them if you don't know whether they were written with intent to be set to music or not?????

What about poetry that was originally written with no intent to be set to music and then was later set to music by a different person????

poetry is poetry and music is music. the two are often used in conjunction with each other but they're still separate art forms. films use music but nobody says that music in films isn't music anymore. they're just two separate art forms being used together.

>What if I just show you some words written down and give you no other information? How would you judge them if you don't know whether they were written with intent to be set to music or not?????
Then I'm getting an incomplete sample of the art. If the words are set to music and you don't get the music then you are not experiencing what the artist intended. That would be like giving somebody a poem but having removed all the line breaks and visual elements. Sure you're getting some form of it but any efforts to make sense of it are going to be inherently inadequate.

>What about poetry that was originally written with no intent to be set to music and then was later set to music by a different person????
Then that is exactly what it is, it's poetry set to music, but it's not an act of songwriting. If the poet didn't intend it then it's just somebody else's take on the work, it doesn't fundamentally alter the nature of the original poem.

>music board
>people cannot discuss music beyond saying its good or bad

And the point about films is hurting your argument. You can't just remove the music from a film and pretend like you're experiencing it as intended. The filmmaker makes the two cohere, and makes them inseparable. Sure it's a combination of forms but it's still in service to the film, which is multifaceted artform. If they are deliberately presented in conjunction then you have to evaluate them that way. The slight difference with lyricism is that nothing about attaching words to music is inherently poetic. At times its more prose like. It has defined itself as its own form, you can't just separate the two or pretend like songwriters are doing the same things as poets or that poems have the same effect as lyrics based songs.

so what you're saying is that you can't judge music at all unless you know EXACTLY how and when the lyrics originated?

none of that goes against my argument though

>people should ignore one piece of the art that I deem to be less significant
>take for example this other art form where you'd be a complete retard to try and view its coalesced elements as fundamentally separate

>i'm greentexting random unrelated nonsense just look how stupid you look

>board about music
>but only very specific semi-obscure meme music

I hate this board.

>I don't have the cognitive abilities to understand how this is the essence of I'm putting forward

Your ideas are dumb and your arguments are counter productive. That's what I'm implying here. Poetry is poetry. Songwriting has poetic elements but it's not poetry. Poetry is fundamentally defined by how it is restricted to the page and lyrics are in no way restricted to the page. They are different forms. When people say "music" in a modern sense they include songwriting within that, therefore it is perfectly appropriate to discuss songwriting in it's complete form on the board.

>people making an author's intent argument for any piece of art ever
>people saying poetry stops being so if there's music when early examples of poetry include bards backed with music, ignoring the performance aspects of poetry completely
>implying that lyrics are the same as the rest of the music and should be considered music at all outside of pronounciation

Poetry's done by words/lines you retard, the same way lyrics are. By page lmao, as if all page sizes are the same.

The Iliad and Odissey were accompanied with music. Are they not literature?

Literally nothing wrong with that, it's like discussing dialogue in a film

i dont see that much lyrical discussion here, probably see more discussion of the musical aspects desu. but its exclusively about popular music and sub-popular music. this board has zero hipster appeal

Do you know the music? Do we remember that work in the public conscience taking into account that music? Was there a set score that accompanied every telling of the poem that Homer himself painstakingly labored over?

If in a thousand years we lose all the files to Bob Dylan's discography and we just have the words to evaluate it by then sure you can start evaluating it as literature, but as of now it isn't.

Lines of lyrics are established by the way they are sung. Lines of poetry are established by the way they are written on the page and there is no single "reading" of the poetry that is the definitive one. The only definite inarguable part of it is that which is written on the page, and the fact that this seems like a such a foreign concept to you shows that you have not studied poetry in any kind of formal or informal capacity. This is a pretty well established idea in criticism.

You are an absolute moron.

Having watching Dirk Gently, that pic is hilarious.