Rolling Stone's Best Albums of 2017

rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-best-albums-of-2017-w511763/lorde-melodrama-w511765

1. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
2. Lorde - Melodrama
3. U2 - Songs of Experience
4. Kesha - Rainbow
5. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
6. Khalid - American Teen
7. Taylor Swift - Reputation
8. Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
9. Migos - Culture
10. Sam Smith -The Thrill of It All

Do you agree?

pic unrelated

who dis

This is a blue board faget, and while this may technically not be against the rules it's still pretty fucking gay to encourage men to masturbate in a sex-free zone.

I like this. Hope she's of age

Is this by sales or...cause all these suck ass.

>rolling stone the rock magazine as only 2 rock albums on their list

what did they mean by this?

also:

>U2

lmao what a joke

I like this. Hope she's not of age

why does rolling stone shill this shit?

>One of the more provocative anecdotes from Joe Hagan’s new biography about Rolling Stone is the revelation that founder Jann Wenner personally dictated U2’s Songs of Innocence to be the magazine’s No. 1 album in 2014. Wenner allegedly prioritized his friendship with U2’s Bono over the quality of the album, telling an editor, “My dictate. By fiat, buddy. That’s that.”

>Well, he’s done it again in 2017. Today, Rolling Stone released its list of the year’s 50 best albums, and U2’s Songs of Experience has claimed the No. 3 spot. The album isn’t officially out until Friday, so most people haven’t heard it yet. We have, though, and can tell you it’s nowhere close to being a top 3 album of 2017. In fact, the early consensus on the Consequence of Sound Slack channel is that Songs of Experience is one of the year’s worst releases, another dud in U2’s once flawless discography.

>Instead, you can find our picks for the 50 best albums of 2017 here. We probably won’t get invited over for breakfast at Bono’s house anytime soon.

kek

Since when did Rolling Stone become the new Teen Beat? The average 14 year old would make this list.

What kind of music does this girl listen to?

They're really out of touch. Such a weird mix of artists. Who is their target demo exactly? They're simultaneously trying to appease the dadrockers (U2) gen Y rockers (Queens) the memerappers (Kendrick, Migos) the top 40 crowd (Swift, Sam Smith, Lorde, Kesha, Khalid) and the indeh crowd (LCD)

Just can't imagine what sort of person would come up with such a list

I don't think you could make a list of more corporate, soulless 2017 albums

>U2
Whoever made that list should be gassed

They probably look at which artists sell the most in each category. That's it.

10 reasons why you should burn Pitchfork HQ: the definite list

>Kesha at #4
>Lorde at #2

lol really?

Pitchfork has Lorde at #4 for AOTY.
MFW

agreed, all those albums are actually great examples of the most bland music being recorded today. I am genuinely dumbfounded what the fuck the rolling stone, pitchfork, complex, etc. are all thinking. they either do not listen to music but pretend to, or they are knowingly shilling terrible music. what the fuck is wrong with mainstream music journalism right now? why are these magazines more concerned with selling a brand than actually reviewing music?

kendrick lamar
dj khaleed
rihanna
justin bieber
and a lil something

You forget Kendrick.

For some reason Melodrama is featured in a lot of lists so far.

>U2

When has U2 ever made a good album?

I listen to all these so I might have a chance.

>DAMN at #1
lol no
>Khalid at #6
>hell, Khalid anywhere close to AOTY
>Kesha at #4
No
>Taylor Swift at #7
hahahahahhaha what????
>Queens of the Stone Age at #8
Only one I agree with being on here, but even that's a stretch
>Migos
hahahahahahahahhahaah what????
>Sam Smith at fucking #10
lost all credibility right there

It seems like maybe they just didn't listen to any other albums in 2017?

Youre right Taylor deserves 1 desu

Wenner's MO for the past 50 years has been sucking up to celebs and stars for perks while posing as a member of the counterculture, I don't see how anyone would be surprised by this.

>another dud in U2’s once flawless discography.
U2 never had a flawless discography

Reputation would only deserve that spot if Taylor was about 300lbs+ fatter.

It's a solid pop album, not in my top 10 but it at least makes sense on a mainstream rag's top 10.

>CoS trying to claim their chart is better
Its the exact same shit without U2

i just want a music publication that isn't self righteous and pretentious as all hell

Maybe not flawless (October kind of ruined that), but up until the new millennium they had a pretty great run

>not a single king gizz when they have FOUR refreshing rock albums in this years top 10
total plebs

>Villains, Reputation, Songs of Experience, The Thirll of it All
>No Flower Boy, After Laughter, Science Fiction, Antisocialites, Big Fish Theory, The Ooz, Crack-Up
That top is a joke, right?

>no lil peep

disregarded

This is the most fucking gay list

this T B H

Preach it! I'm immediately dubious of any Best of 2017 list that doesn't have a single Gizzard album, and this list absolutely reeks of shill even disregarding the lack of Gizz.

epic, my fellow bros
the 9gag army wont stand a chance against us xD

It's by whatever record label CEO paid them the most to shill it.

Looks like Clairo

probably clairo be chillin

It is you dwit

Where’s After Laughter

No As You Were???
But srsly 4real As you were is the best album

is that clairo?

why the fuck are they posting their list so early? we have over a month left of 2017.

and I know RS only pander towards mainstream albums, but even mainstream music fans and a lot of Taylor fans agree that Reputation was an abomination, how much did she pay these people to put it that high up?

Both of the Gallaghers' albums are on the list. They're sharing the same spot lmao.

>Taylor Swift - Reputation

Stopped taking this seriously here

>major label artist
>shilled by a magazine that isn't being paid for their troubles
Pick one

damn, did they even listen to music this year?

its rolling stone, they probably only listen to whatevers on the top40 radio and their old dadrock cd collection of zeppelin, the beatles and aerosmith

RS famously trashed Zep and Aerosmith. They're known Beatles cocksuckers though.

I remember a time when the magazine was only a part time whore.

Just close up shop.

quietus is pretty okay, the writers are a little wordy but they don't give ratings which is col

The Wire too is untouchable when it comes to avant-garde and underground coverage. They've gotten slightly more indie fotm baity in recent years (mostly out of nature of having to work with freelance writers who have tastes generally different from what the wire covers usually)

thanks for letting me know

2 Hip-hop records
1 R&B
3 Female Pop Artists
1 Male Pop Artist
2 Rock bands
1 Dance
Only USA/Britain excluding one NZ.

No jazz, no funk, no classical, no metal, no funk, no (proper) electronic, no Asian music, no South American, No African, no folk or tradtiional.

>Wenner's MO for the past 50 years has been sucking up to celebs and stars for perks while posing as a member of the counterculture

They haven't been an actual "underground" magazine since 1969.

Christgau was pretty kind to Zeppelin and Aerosmith though. I give him that much.

Melodrama will be 2nd on pitchforks list

It's gonna be something like

The OOZ
Melodrama
Damn
A Crow Looked at Me
A Deeper Understanding
4:44
No Shape
Black Origami
Big Fish Theory
Turn Out The Lights/Flower Boy

>U2
>Queens of the Stone Age
>Sam Smith
gross

I liked Villains

melodrama will be higher than the ooz
they're gonna want to have a female artist at #1 so they look progressive with all the sexual assault allegations happening right now
besides, score has never determined order, the knife got aoty with an 8.6

if i had to guess their top ten
Melodrama
Damn
The OOZ
Ctrl
Take Me Apart
No Shape
Narkopop
Rest
RTJ3
Plunge

Brand New won't make the main list or even honorable mentions, MAYBE the rock list if they add a footnote about rape culture or something
A Crow Looked at Me is gonna be like Skeleton Tree where they gave it a high score but it'll probably be somewhere like 15
These albums will fall somewhere between 30-18 in no particular order:
After Laughter
Flower Boy
Slowdive
Mono No Aware
The Kid
New Energy
Reassemblage

These ones will be just outside the top ten(in no order):
Turn Out the Lights
A Deeper Understanding
Big Fish Theory
Rainbow

>dickriding the new Bruce Springsteen or U2 album every year

hmm, I wonder why they do this...

I mean Bruce I get a little bit because he has a fantastic legacy, but U2 are pure hot shit.

U2 up to Achtung Baby is kino

is this Putin?

right on man

keep the faith, stoner rock bro and maybe the future won't be as lame as our stupid fascist society \m/

I will never understand how he dug Zep's massive campfest yet the mere mentioning of Sabbath repulsed him, what the fuck

only the Anglosphere makes pop music silly, now open wide :)

Led Zeppelin IV [Atlantic, 1971]

More even than "Rock and Roll," which led me into the rest of the record (whose real title, as all adepts know, is signified by runes no Underwood can reproduce) months after I'd stupidly dismissed it, or "Stairway to Heaven," the platinum-plated album cut, I think the triumph here is "When the Levee Breaks." As if by sorcery, the quasi-parodic overstatement and oddly cerebral mood of Led Zep's blues recastings is at once transcended (that is, this really sounds like a blues), and apotheosized (that is, it has the grandeur of a symphonic crescendo) while John Bonham, as ham-handed as ever, pounds out a contrapuntal tattoo of heavy rhythm. As always, the band's medievalisms have their limits, but this is the definitive Led Zeppelin and hence heavy metal album. It proves that both are--or can be--very much a part of "Rock and Roll." A

Zeppelin are more normie-accessible than Sabbath.

I'm actually quite surprised that any of you are taking rolling stones seriously. they're a joke, just like any of the other music publications out there. they don't care about the art, they care about music. take a hard look at the albums listed. you cannot take this list seriously.

I wonder how many black artists are on here, let's see if rolling stones drank the kool-aid

I could pull up RSM covers from 30 years ago and they were doing the same shilling of dadrock and MTV/mallpop.

DUDE WHAT IF WE PUT THE MICS IN THE DRUMS LMAO

I don't disagree with him though, he's just a moody crankster I guess

there are 14 black artists on the list. it's just not possible that this many niggers made "good" music this year.