Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1871

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discord:
discord.gg/neA547g

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

font.designers-garage.jp/ds/execute/FontSearch?searchType=1&saleType=0&category=09
designpocket.jp/dl_font_category/list.aspx?smod=3&tfid=63&os=Win
youtube.com/watch?v=2UQYc08WfxM
manga-zone.org/archives/1667.html
raw.senmanga.com/Non-Non-Biyori/65/3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Katakana_table_extended),
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>tfw never wrote a single hiragana
>tfw now want to learn how to write and maybe fuck a bit with calligraphy
>tfw have to relearn everything from scratch

this is not a pleasant feel

how long have you been studying?

tfw have written down thousands of words/kanji but barely repeat them
tfw sometimes can't even read simple words, but instinctively know how to read complicated shit

this is complicated because I have stopped and started many times, but I'll have you know I have over seven thousand confirmed vocab on anki

Thats about where i am Lol
good time for me to start learning how to write too i guess

I think my retention for my personal mining deck is horrible compared to the 2k/6k/10k.
Can someone show me a good way to set up the cards they made?

>but I'll have you know I have over seven thousand confirmed vocab on anki
Fucking kek, more or less the same as myself, only with over four thousand confirmed vocab on anki. That doesn't cool at all.
Fair to assume after you relearn how to write the kana, kanji is next? A little earlier today I began working on a kanji deck to slowly chip away at over time. It's based on the strongest kanji in the kanji grid associated with the vocab deck I'm using, going a purely production style of word already reviewed/known from the vocab deck on the front, with the target kanji in the word expressed as kana.
Felt the urge to want to be able to write kanji from memory, in respect to the words I'm reviewing. Want to build up a different aspect of what is "known" about these facts/words being shoved into the old noggin.

Did anything particular prompt you to want to be able to write?

Same question as above, man. What makes you think it is a good time to learn how to write and do you have any approach in particular in mind?
It would be a curious thing if each of us went a different way about it. You know, for further down the line as a comparison for how well that sort of approach either worked or did not work. 向き不向きというものがある

>Did anything particular prompt you to want to be able to write?

nope, just think it would be cool

>Fair to assume after you relearn how to write the kana, kanji is next?
I'm going to start with both at the same time, I hope to be done with kana in 1-2 weeks

I want to learn how to write because I plan on studying in Japan.

>any approach in particular in mind?
Not sure how to learn really.
I was thinking of just learning them while going through a kanji deck.
Just learning 10 kanji or so a day, writing each one like 20 times or so. Then the next day write the ones I did the day before 10 times or so followed with the new ones.
Then from there just writing them maybe just 3 or 5 times or so for every time after that.

Anyone know what this font is called?

The Core 2k/6k/10k vocab deck is set up in an 'optimised' fashion which is designed with the intention of introduction groups of words based on kanji/readings. Compare that to words mined from things you are reading. While genres tend to have thematic clusters of words it probably doesn't have as much overlap as the Core deck/s do, potentially making it harder to recall words once their initial emotional connection them weakens from memory.

After a few reviews those mined words may end up being seemingly random and on the off chance using kanji which you may not have come across in as a small cluster of words the Core deck. That can make the term more obscure to memory, thus harder to recall.

Theoretical bunk aside, what are you retention rates for each deck?
The vocab deck I use is large-ish (around 14k words) which was custom made but similar to the Core decks. In terms of mining, I use the same deck. Mined cards are given top priority in the new card order; both in words already present in the deck but not yet reviewed and words which were added external to the original corpus.
Nothing really particular about it, to be honest. Pic related, as you can see it is similar to the Core2k/6k/10k deck. Many words have vocab audio on the rear of the card, but only for the vocab expression, not for the sentence. Not all cards have sentences, though.

Unless you are doing something rather odd with your cards, increasing retention probably has more to do with how you are reviewing than the card layout. Maybe the cards aren't being graded as honestly as they could be. Maybe the time it takes to review a card is too long and fraught with hesitation. Maybe there isn't enough reading done outside Anki. There are many different factors impacting retention (笑)

>nope, just think it would be cool
Hard to disagree.

Almost looks like a 篆書 font.
font.designers-garage.jp/ds/execute/FontSearch?searchType=1&saleType=0&category=09

is this the comic sans of kanji fonts?

That's a beautiful card layout I must say.
Mine is just the basic with audio for the word alone
>{word}
>{definition}
>{example}

I also have a type of card where the audio alone is the on the front. This type tends to be the most difficult for me to recall the word.

>what are you retention rates for each deck
right now the 2k/6k/10 is around 83%-89% while learning 40 words a day.
my mining deck seems to be dropping below 70% now that the reviews are getting pretty big.

If only there was an addon to organize the cards by kanji or something
Think having audio sentences like the core would at least help?

It's fine to not immediately memorize new words in whatever you're reading right? Simply look them up, import, and continue reading?

ハハハハハ言葉を一気に覚えられないってこの馬鹿ったれ
皆、指差して笑いにこい!!!

If you speak with Japanese a lot they kinda feel like though go into some subconscious part and they will pop into your head if that topic ever comes up.

I find after that, you have an actual memory with the word and can recall it again pretty easy.

Can I turn off cards becoming leeches?

I really don't mind if they are.

it's some seal script imitation font designpocket.jp/dl_font_category/list.aspx?smod=3&tfid=63&os=Win

Sakubi is a groundbreaking grammar guide that is right now being read by millions of Japanese learners JUST LIKE YOU!

In the deck options, change the Leech action to Tag Only.

You should memorise it to the extent that memorisation is required for reading and understanding the sentence. In most cases that means a 10 second or even a 2 second memory is enough, unless you need to look up two or more words in a single clause in which case you might want to put in a bit more.

So I'm currently going through the 2k/6k core deck from the guide (about 250 words in).

Should I bother trying to transfer to a bigger deck later? Is that an easy process? Or should I just finish up this deck and tae kim and begin reading?

I can only reccomend you to start reading something easy as soon as you feels omewhat comfortable with, you'll have to look up tons of words/grammar anyway sooner or later
anki is a good TOOL, but it's not the final purpose, some people are so submerged in it that they do nothing else really

You should be reading and mining by 2k at the latest. Getting to 6k without reading is pure ankidrone territory, those cards are only worth having there if you might become unable to mine for whatever reason.

My idea was to finish up Tae Kim and bring whatever vocabulary I have built up to that point into reading.

Sounds good

To those that know a good number of Kanji, can you read Chinese? It seems to me that you'd at least know what the words mean.

I'd recommend you Aku no Hana, most speech bubbles don't have more than one two short sentences at a time and the content is easy to follow and not too abstract
it's about an edgy snowflake teenager torn between the bad girl and the (seemingly) miss perfect, so most guys can relate I guess

most people will go with Yotsuba, but personally I didn't find it interesting enough to go beyond volume 2

sometimes it's even fairly obvious, for example in the latest episode of silicon valley
pic related, something about production safety measures

assuming this is actual chinese

I want to learn Japanese badly UwU
youtube.com/watch?v=2UQYc08WfxM

hate to break to you but that's chinese

b-but there's anime on the video
anime is Japanese
so confusing

Good to know, thanks for the info. I guess that's free protection from getting chinked for learning Japanese.

Thinking from Portuguese speaker's perspective, the comprehensibility of Chinese can vary from Italian to Romanian depending on how many unknown hanzi or grammar-related ones show up, titles and descriptions are more in line with Japanese.

The CoR only has up to volume 6 tho

you can find the rrest of it here

manga-zone.org/archives/1667.html

/> フ
| ~ ~ l
/` ミ_xノ
/ ヽ ノ
/ ̄| | | |
| ( ̄ヽ_ヽ)__)
\二つ

>Yotsuba, but personally I didn't find it interesting
How does it feel being dead inside?

ありがとう

so-so

is it really worth it to learn the radicals before starting with the 2k/6k kanjis ?

Well memorising them should take a week at most, so even if it isn't worth it you haven't lost much.

僕の留守の間にスレが死なないようにしてください

お誕生日おめでとう!

When I use AnkiDroid, I notice a "X cards due (X minutes)" counter at the top. What is the purpose of the minutes counter? I don't see it on AnkiWeb, and it doesn't seem to correlate to when the new day starts.

It can help you recognize kanji from their components, instead of trying to memorize the symbols as a whole.
Like, even if the kanji doesn't take meaning from its radicals, it can still be helpful to remember the symbol as something like "day, earth, inch" rather than "series of scribbles #1264."

Is Japanese text equally readable on it?

I've always assumed it's an estimate of how long you'd take to do that given day's reps. Pretty meaningless stat, all in all.

How do your mined cards look like?
I guess that one is a premade one am I right?

I never gave it a try because I can't read japanese without a mouseover dictionary yet, making reading manga at the computer much more convenient. Give me a moment to transfer some raw manga over.

Should Katakana be revised to be more ambiguous towards English loan words since there are so many? Even adding a syllable for "si" or something. They added "ti" sound for "party", why not add more?

I have some Japanese friends who are really frustrated that they can't say certain words in English and I feel like it's due to the syllabry restricting them from birth.

It's readable. It's kinda hard to make out the furigana, but if it's not impossible. It's kind of hard to read in the original too, though.
raw.senmanga.com/Non-Non-Biyori/65/3

Clean those edges

Hah, thanks for reminding me. I live near a animal feed factory so I've kind of grown used to that residue being pretty much everywhere.

Extended katakana is a thing (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Katakana_table_extended), but I really doubt it will ever see much serious use.

Those are all already used in loan words.

Really? All of them? I've seen many in use such as the ts-, f-, and extra t- and d- sounds, but I'm not sure about the rest.

A clean e-reader is a happy e-reader

Flush bezels are the future.

>tfw my old ass kindle 4 doesn't support vertical japanese text
I mean, it isn't that important, but it still sucks. Perhaps there's a way to do it but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Does it turn it into horizontal text? I would be fine with it, vertical text was a mistake.

You can't learn Japanese.

>it isn't that important
>vertical text was a mistake
It's part of the experience though

It just takes some getting used to. Keep reading like that, start with reading some easy to understand manga and you'll get it.

I know, mate. I prefer vertical text, that's why I said the lack of support sucked.

Was thinking the same thing, haven't really seen all of them that often.

Mostly the フ ones.

Fuck I want to read manga on the go too.

What's the best device for doing so?
Are tablets better than e-reader for manga?

has anyone ever seen イィ?

for some of them I didn't even know they existed and I have seen plenty of katakana I'd say

That's certainly readable, thanks. If it turns out the jailbreak isn't worth doing I could always return it. Amazon doesn't have to know. I should probably unlink any accounts though.

What are you reading?

I'd say that a Kobo Aura One is probably the best of the mainstream e-readers to read manga on, as it's got a 7.8" screen. Other than that, the Onyx e-readers have pretty decent screen sizes, but I have no experience with them because >Brazil.

You should only buy an e-reader if you plan to read actual books. For manga exclusively, I feel tablets are a better deal. A low-end tablet will handle manga, but only a high-end e-reader will handle manga.

Even when it's sung nicely it still annoyed me.

ココロコネクト
Still out of my league though
>Calibrate your monitor
What did Brazil-dono mean by this

ああああ小さなクモがコンピューターに入っちゃった、冗談だろう

Someone help me understand this:

結婚した後、多額の保険金をかけられて殺されるのかとも思ったが、はたして本当に殺す人間が面と向かって疑われそうなことをいうだろうか。

"I wondered if I would get killed for the insurance money after I got wed, but......."

What does the second part mean & am I on the right track as for the first part?

>but...
would someone willing to kill a person really say something suspicious right to his face?

>アンタ

えぇサイバー雨が降るかもね!

Turns out there's no way (currently) to jailbreak my kindle. Does anyone know if there's a way to convert images to actual text (OCR) that can be read on the kindle for the purpose of word lookup?

Slowly but surely learning this kana.
I've found a fun way to practice is opening japanese meme videos on youtube and scanning the titles and comments for any kana I recognize and can spell out

You should be writing them in the order aiueo.

Does the ordering really matter much? Other than from a memorization standpoint.

It's the Japanese equivalent to aeiou. I think it's worth knowing.

When I open a new practice page, I'll do it in order. Might as well standardize it.

Also use graph paper to help with your terrible handwriting. And don't forget to sit up straight.

>terrible handwriting
T-thanks
Will do, though

Your handwriting isn't terrible.

you need to look at practice sheets for hiragana because those hiragana are extremely ugly. the balance is off and hooks are missing. at least fix your う because it looks like ラ. but i don't want to say at least because you might interpret it like the others are somewhat okay which they aren't.

does the order of the alphabet matter or is it just for kids' memorization?

A-user, how does your English handwriting look like?

This brings back memories, I'm moving so all my shit is packed up or I would post a picture of my scratch work when I first started.

Keep up the good work user, writing is what has kept me in this so long. Favorite part of the whole thing.

I never did the aeiou thing either, as long as you remember the columns, like し and ちbelonging in the い column and that things like we and ye don't exist you should be fine. As far as I know those columns are used for organizing conjugations, different stems and not much else.

Things to watch out for are your うs looking like a katakana ラ, some of the けs look like し or レ, try less emphasis on the tail. I usually just do a straight like for the left side of け.

え,そ、あ and い look good for a beginner level but it looks like you need to slow down a bit, take your time. Watch some videos of how people write, it helped me a lot.

あきらめないで!がんばって

Alphabetical order is of great help when looking at long lists. I was shocked to discover most people around me know it just half-assedly, when it feels like second nature to me.

>Are tablets better than e-reader for manga?
Yeah, I'd say. Cheaper, larger resolution, less lag between 'turning' pages, full colour for colour pages, larger storage, etc.
From my understanding -which may be wrong- but e-ink screens are static and need to be refreshed to alter the image on the screen. This is why they can last for so long, as it is really only refreshing once a page is turned or once a prompt on the page is triggered, like using a built in dictionary, etc.
While reading manga on a tablet, being able to pinch-zoom in and out on the fly is such a great little feature, something not really capable on an e-ink ereading tablet screen. Not at least without significant lag.

That, and with an Android tablet you can use the OCR Manga Reader app, which can hook into Aedict, Ankidroid, etc. In a nutshell I'd say that an Android tablet is a better choice as a portable manga reader device for learners. Or anyone, I guess. How many e-ink readers these days can you throw a 64GB sd card into? Manga can take up a fair amount of space if the intention is to carry around a mini-library on in your pocket, after all.

/10円

>long lists
Like?

I haven't found much of a reason to know the alphabetical order yet. Maybe if I was doing documentation or insurance papers in Japan it might be useful?

For me, it helps when looking through playlists in rhythm games.

That's incredibly specific.

But what if things are in Kanji? Don't they just get grouped by radicals then?

I can't imagine 気 and 木 being beside each other just because they're both き

why are you stating your experiences and thoughts about things when you obviously don't know anything?