Can Trap even be called hip-hop at this point...

Can Trap even be called hip-hop at this point? The differences between the music made by artists who are called rappers today is so vastly different from what the originators made that it's practically a different genre. This isn't an argument about one being better or one being worse, just an observation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K58JYXhb4YA
youtube.com/watch?v=0yiX_mIrcrE
youtube.com/watch?v=zNrHpF1Y_Ww
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most of it yes, however some trap like Lil Peep isn't even hip hop at all

trap and mumble rap and all this shit makes me feel fucking old.

I just cannot give a fuck about Kendrick and I have tried and tried to listen to his shit.

whatever you call it, I think we can all agree that it shouldn't even be considered music.

>kendrick lamar
>mumble rap

Trust me if Tupac and biggie was around today they'd embrace mumblerap and make remixes

You obviously are fucking old. Stick to Pink Flpyd, grandpa

Where did I say he was mumble rap?

>trap and mumble rap and all this shit makes me feel fucking old.
>I just cannot give a fuck about Kendrick
It's implied that you're calling Kendrick's music trap or that he's a mumble rapper (or it's just non sequitur)

hip hop is a popular form of electronic music.
there's hiphop made by looping records, hiphop made with drum machines, hiphop with and without rapping, hiphop where the rapper sounds like he wants to kill you, hiphop where the rapper sounds like he wants to kill himself. it's all hiphop
trap is a form of hiphop music, like punk is a form of rock music.
hope this helps

Tupac wouldn't last today with Facebook Live and the like, someone would pop his ass on camera.

I hear you old timer, mumble rap is the first genre of music that has truly made my blood boil dag nabbit. Fucking little pischers sound like little babbys whining for their bottles. They need to be taken to the middle of townsquare and spanked publically until they are bleeding from the eyes.

Genres develop. Black Sabbath is still considered metal, even though it is nothing at all like some of the subgenres it inspired. Trap hip hop uses the same instrumentation and vocal delivery that hip hop had used for ages now, they're just doing it in a different way.

Not him, but Damn is a trap-y album in my opinion.

>hip hop is a popular form of electronic music.
I wish people would stop saying this. It's not a "form" of electronic music. It's primarily made electronically solely through happenstance, not because it's innately electronic. A hip hop song can be made with the complete absence of electronic instruments, but a techno, house, IDM, or breakbeat track can't.

Trap is closer to current dance music than hip-hop, but it also seems to be replacing hip-hop.

>A hip hop song can be made with the complete absence of electronic instruments
but 99% of them don't dumbass. hence why its electronic

That's wrong

Damn is Kendrick trying to ride the trap wave lol.

its fun watching hip hop fans destroy their own genre just because new kids progressed the sound and image. going to end up like rock soon enough because old heads want boom bap shit 24/7

Trap has nothing to do with hip hop, that's like saying rock is metal

metal is rock though

rock is metal

Does a rock band with electric guitars count as electronic music?
Because if you mean electronic as in electronica, have you heard of The Roots? There is no way they're electronica. They're one of the defining hiphop groups. There is a lot of more niche stuff too, like BBNG & ghostface which doesn't qualify either.

And a freestyle with no music behind it is definately hiphop.

>using the minority to prove your point
again like i said the majority of hip hop music is made electronically. sampling which is dominantly the means of making a beat is made thru electronic equipment

k senpai

Trap is not part of Hip Hop, it's simply an evolution/deviation of rap that holds no HH value. I don't mind it desu, but I do see it more as a form of entertainment with a bit of music rather than pure music.

The Roots can't simply be a minority or an exception though, they're an iconic genre defining group. They're at the very forefront of the genre. There are a lot of other groups with just a live band too, and it's something you see a lot more at gigs than on albums.

>the majority of hip hop music is made electronically
yes
>hiphop is a form of electronic music
no

Thinking about this, maybe there's an argument to be made that The Roots & others are Hiphop fusion, but you didn't say that did you.

youtube.com/watch?v=K58JYXhb4YA
For example, this was easily one of the best (if not the best) Hiphop releases last year.
It sounds like this on the album too.
How is that electronic music?
Is it really Hiphop-jazz fusion? I think that's an odd distinction to have to make to conform to your definition of hiphop, because a lot of straight hiphop heavily samples jazz.

>I Learned about hip hop from watching the tonight show
The roots using real instruments was their gimmick when they came out, and other than G funk most hip hop production favors all electronic or sampled sounds.

>I learned about the roots from watching the tonight show

lol, you salty

idk why you keep using a minority as a way to prove your point. just because a couple snowflakes used real instruments doesn't speak for majority of hip hop albums made thru a daw.
you can't deny that either.
find me 20 good hip hop albums made 100% based off real instruments.

>Hiphop is normally this, so it is this
You could make the exact same argument to say that Hiphop is rapping

I'm just struggling to take you seriously when you haven't listened to The Roots or Noname

i like both of those artists.youtube.com/watch?v=0yiX_mIrcrE
try again

>hiphop where the rapper sounds like he wants to kill you, hiphop where the rapper sounds like he wants to kill himself
yes and thats just talking about earl sweatshirt

I have listened to Roots plenty, I was implying that your comments seem like they would be made by someone who learned about hip hop from watching the tonight show, which is pretty much the only place your most rap groups use live instruments bullshit actually applies

rap is part of hip hop but hip hop aint just rap

>your most rap groups use live instruments bullshit actually applies
im out b im through with you

If your gonna compare Tupac to Young Thug as some sort of example of Manliess I suggest you do your fucking research

Pac was camp as shit and a Drama kid, it was all an act

youtube.com/watch?v=zNrHpF1Y_Ww

Young Thus is actually gay though (well at least bi-sexual)

hip hop is mcing, djing, breaking & graffiti
Djing is electronic music
rapping is hiphop music
djing (a form of electronic music) is also hiphop music
hiphop itself isn't a form of electronic music, because rapping without djing is still hiphop
Just like how djing without rapping is still hiphop and hiphop isn't rapping either
any music with rapping or djing is hiphop.
djing isn't the constant any more than rapping is the constant.

most of the hiphop music that doesn't have electronic music in it is just niggaz rapping with no backing

Trap is to Hip Hop what traps are to women.

It's a shitty imitation.

Boys make the best girls, in Anime at least

Woman implies womb.

It's literally the same thing that happened with rock and metal, trap is just going to get darker and darker until it fades into the underground because it will lose its accessibility and tap in its more abrasive or ethereal offshoots (13 by Denzel is a proto example of the first, Rodeo by Travis is a proto example of the second one). T. I. and Flocka are the Black Sabbath of hip hop.

there's some good shit but it's more scarce than it used to be

the chad young thug vs the virgin tupac

t. Retard

You need to legitimately have brain damage to enjoy trap.

Metal comes from rock music that's not wrong to say

Hip hop uas its roots in electronic and dance music in the late 70s and 80s, it uses primarily electronic instruments via a computer but can use live instruments. But these live instrumentation is to mimic the sounds created by the computer.