Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

I'm curious what peoples' thoughts are on this album.
I've always kind of written it off as highschool stoner garbage, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V4wRZLQhuk8
youtube.com/watch?v=vK6m1bqax3k
youtube.com/watch?v=nk_WUs-zlNU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Scar tissue is the only good song on this album

It's still pretty bland. Just listen to Frusciante's solo music if you like RHCP on some levels, but wish it were actually creative and had a vibe

Easily their weakest album.

This one of the CDs my dad had when I was like 9, I learned the whole thing front to back on guitar. I have kinda moved away from the chili's since then, but I have a great respect for them as a band (john especially) and this album has a very special place in my heart.

Good album. Not the best RHCP album but well crafted and played songs by a band with some formidable talents.

Probably their most important album. I know it's the go to when it comes to rhcp. it could be argued it isn't the best album, but I think for what it is, and the time it came out, it's the most important.

It’s impossible to listen to this album, it got raped by MTV, radio stations and normies. If you want to rediscover the joy of listening to RHCP you have to go with Mother’s Milk or One Hot Minute.

slane castle will always be a legendary live show guitar wise

It needs a remaster

B a d l y

>there are "people" in this thread who don't think this velvet glove is the best track

There's a premaster floating around that's a fair amount more listenable.

I too had written it off as normie trash after hearing the singles plastered all over TV-Radio, but now I like it a lot. It has both the pop elements of later RHCP (ie the radio singles) and also old school 80s punk funk type songs (ie Purple Stain, Get on Top, Right on Time, I Like Dirt). It is also pretty much the least dated mainstream album of 1999. When you compared it to nu metal and pop punk of that period it doesn't sound a day old.

Great

the mastering/production hurts my ears

>he lets faggot normies affect his enjoyment of music

What a cuck

I just can't take RHCP even with gallons of salt any time they try into social wokeness or rock ballads, mixed feelings about this album.

I like some of the songs. I can't listen to the album anymore though, the clipping gets on my nerves.

Dude, California LMAO

Velet glove is the best. But why the fuck did Quixoticelixer and Bunker Hill not make the album?

one of my favorites desu. dont let the normies turn you away from things

TFW parallel universe actually had a cool guitar solo and not just noise, but they decided to turn everything up instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=V4wRZLQhuk8

Californication also gave us their best song

youtube.com/watch?v=vK6m1bqax3k

>your lipstick on my kite

oh boy

Vlad Duun Goof'd Up the mastering desu

>implying he wasn't forced into loud mastering by Rick Rubin

best RHCP song comin through

youtube.com/watch?v=nk_WUs-zlNU

I agree

I didn't mind it so much when I ripped songs through a youtube converter and listened to them on sub $10 earbuds or listened to songs on the radio, but in HQ it hinders my enjoyment of the album

dub trips make it so

This album saved their bacon and soldified their place in the classic rock pantheon.

I quite like the first half with all the singles, it's pleasant pop rock. Scar Tissue is the best song.

Like all their albums it's overlong tho

Aside from the obvious filler tracks, there's no really bad songs on here and Purple Stain is probably the funniest/most fucked-up one.

hey man, I'm in it for froosh's backup vocals

Does someone have a JUST hairline edit of Froosh? Seems appropriate given the fact he has to
P
A L I M O N Y
Y
(over 50k per month).

i havent ever given these guys a proper listen but i find this cover art offensively ugly