Why is Empire considered the best of the original trilogy?

Why is Empire considered the best of the original trilogy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8
youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What would you consider the best? Empire is pretty much what SW should be.

Because it's the most coherent, best written of the series

It's a good follow up to the first one, builds on everything in the best way

Not to mention it has the best atmosphere of them all

And Yoda

Because it's the darkest and most atmospheric ones, with the fewest obvious flaws. It doesn't take forever to get going like ANH and isn't chock full of bad decisions like RotJ

>yoda
>"i'm your father"
>darth vader's theme
>AT-AT

you know, things that reddit loves

spotted the redditor

The choice is really only between ANH and Empire and I think a lot of people, particularly people passionate enough about Star Wars to debate which one is the best, prefer Empire simply because the characters are more fleshed out there and the movie is more emotional, while ANH is basically a spectacle (so the novelty of it wears off after multiple viewings) that uses stock characters to avoid dumping too much on the audience at once.

>best atmosphere
>best characters
>best vehicles
>best stormtroopers (snow troopers)
>introduces Lando
>introduces Yoda
>Obi force ghost
>Jedi training
>high stakes, Han frozen
>Boba Fett
>No I am your father.

Gee I dunno OP. Ewok mic drop.

If Sup Forums existed at the time, everyone would proclaim that it wasn't as good as Star Wars. You can see the same reasoning with each sequel and prequel. For years everyone said Return of the Jedi wasn't very good. Then Phantom Menace, followed with how terrible all the prequels were. Now it's Force Awakens.

However getting back to the point, Empire was just a very solid middle chapter. Jedi was almost good, but everything after Jabba was killed wasn't nearly as good.

Solely because of Hoth. No really that is it. That's all they think about.

It wasn't until recently. People disliked ESB in '80s.

The male choir song and duel at the end of ROTJ are pretty good if you ask me. Almost as good as the Empire duel. The space fight was pretty cool too.

The throne room scenes are some of the most iconic in all of SW. The space battle was pretty neat too.

>so the novelty of it wears off after multiple viewings

The Battle of Yavin will never get old.

One of the best little details I picked up was Wedge mentioning that he couldn't get a lock on the exhaust port, all he could target was the tower near it. The exhaust port isn't a "defect" or even a problem. It's something that Rebels recognized they could attempt to exploit, but the shot to blow up the Death Star was impossible without the Force.

It's objectively a better shot and made film than ANH.

But I'll continue to rewatch ANH more simply because it's one of the best paced and entertaining movies of all time.

>"ANH is my fave"
Mexican, hindu or black

>"ESB is my fave"
Film school student or other white

>"ROTJ is my fave"
Greasy nerd and/or NEET

As someone that grew up in the 80s I say you're full of shit.

Jedi is the best but edgelords can't ever bring themselves to admit that ewoks are cute af

>"Star Wars is garbage"
true patrician

>the shot to blow up the Death Star was impossible without the Force

Was it the force that turned the blasts at a ninety degree angle?

Being born in the 80s =/= growing up in the 80s

Unless you were at least a teen when ESB came out you can kindly kill yourself you fucking loser.

I was born in '80. I grew up in the 80s. I have fond memories of the 80s.
I saw fucking Transformers in the theater. I apologized to my parents for that.

You really should look at archive reviews for the film. Its cliffhanger ending made a lot of people upset. Additionally, the films pacing is all over the place. It's not until after the release of ROTJ people started having a different perception to it.

>grew up in the 80s
Nice try. Next thing you'll say is The Thing was a critical hit that was loved by everyone at the time of its release.

It was generally seen as inferior to the original when it came out. Wasn't until at least 8-10 years later that a lot of critics and fans started saying it was better than ANH

not that guy but i was born in the 70's and everyone loved ESB

>archive reviews

If we go by reviews for films Girlbusters was a fucking awesome movie.

>I grew up in the 80s
You can't accurately judge a film as a child. Especially critically.

>doesn't take forever to get going like ANH

What movie did you see?

i loved The Thing when i saw it in 82' i was 8 though

You're right. I never said I was judging it as a child.
I was saying most people liked it. Which is what I remember as a kid. Parents loved it, their friends loved it, etc.

The same way how Sonic 2 got more popular than it's obviously better successor

opening scene with Vader and Stormtroopers is great, but the entire chunk of the runtime spent on Tatooine is a bore. Once they finally leave on the Millennium Falcon it's like "thank fucking god"

They WERE cute at the beginning.But having them defeat tons of stormtroopers with bones and all that shit, no thanks.

faggot

>"It was released in May 1980 to mixed reviews although has gained wider critical acclaim. In 2010, the film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant"
>"It received mixed reviews from critics initially but has since grown in esteem, becoming the most critically acclaimed chapter in the Star Wars saga; it is now widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time."

What redditors say:
>Because its le dark

What patricians say:
>Better written
>Better character development
>Better set design and atmosphere
>Better drama

as i kid i loved the desert scenes with the droids and jawas, also:
youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8

I was talking about Empire, but thanks for proving my point

ok critics didn't like it, but everyone i knew did

>Because it's the most coherent, best written of the series
lol no
By itself, it is terrible. Many plot elements expand on what is established in the previous movie.

A New Hope is superior because you can watch it and receive a complete story. ESB requires that you watch ANH.

Hoth

Again, critics.

see Everyone liked the movie. Whether or not shills liked it is irrelevant.

Because it's not the original Star Wars and people can't go "BUT EWOKS!" to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik

It's a fucking sequel what did you expect?This is the most retarded comment I've seen today.

great music along a good film does not make

>I saw fucking Transformers in the theater. I apologized to my parents for that.
Then you're a fag because Transformers: The Movie was amazing.

if you think that is just about the music i can see why you missed so much of what is good about ANH

>I was born in '80. I grew up in the 80s. I have fond memories of the 80s.
You grew up in the latter half of the 80s and the entirety of the 90s.

straightforward adventure tale that mixes Flash Gordon and Akira Kurosawa?

you say that like it's a bad thing

For someone that likes Transformers yeah it was.
If you were a parent having your kid beg you to take him and seeing a bunch of shit you don't understand, its probably terrible.

Nah I consider myself an 80s kid. Because everything that happened in the 80s influenced me and none of the shit in the 90s influenced me at all.
In fact I hated pretty much every part of the 90s.

this is why my dad used to smuggle beer into the theater
of course i saw Transformers with all my friends twice

>most coherent
explain Darth Vader with Luke's face in the cave and how that makes for a coherent movie

>atmosphere
ultimate meme praise behind 'cinematography.'

Scout Troopers > Snow Troopers

>Muh criticism cycle
it's nothing like that, Force Awakens is legit ass, the middle act of Empire is a boring black-hole and the prequels were John Boorman tier genius that will never not be mocked as retarded because Lucas managed to fuck up so many basic things.

No, the audience reception was similar to the critics. People expected a follow up to ANH that was as optimistic and instead got a slow paced and dark movie. It's taken years to get the critical acclaim it's gotten. Partly because it's not standalone but part of a saga.

even as a kid i understood what the cave scene meant

>explain Darth Vader with Luke's face in the cave and how that makes for a coherent movie

>he's a grown man and doesn't understand the cave

I'll let Nerdwriter1 know this should be the subject of his next video

>No, the audience reception was similar to the critics

No it wasn't. Stop spouting this shit.

Because it has Hoth

ez

>le "a movie needs to be understandable completely in isolation and without context or it's poorly written" meme

I liked Jedi the best

>contrarian
ROTJ

>pleb
ESB

>patrician
ANH

Most of the bad reviews were from people being salty that the excellent movies that came from the 70s led to the huge blockbusters of the 80s.
The people who did give it good reviews saw it for what it was, an improvement on the story.
Hell I remember watching sister and beer shit on some other reviewer at the time.

How the fuck did siskel and ebert turn into sister and beer

It's just a meme. A New Hope is objectively better but people love to be edgy and say it is Empire.

>Stop spouting this shit.
Are you too lazy to look up shit?

Empire is the best because it shows that Star Wars has legs. It made the broader story credible. It's no easy thing to make a great sequel and Empire improved in almost every way upon ANH, or at least maintained the level of quality.

You guys are acting like that's some sort of small accomplishment. Star Wars was a phenomena at the time. Most viewers had never seen anything like it. To be able to make a sequel that was at least as good as the original, that retained the magic, and most agree, improve upon it was a fucking triumph.

>look up shit

The only thing you can look up is the critic reviews.
And critic reviews literally mean jack shit.

The fact that ANH starts off slowly (setting aside the best opening to any sci-fi film in history) is what makes it the best. It builds up to a crescendo. You learn what its like to be a moisture farmer on a backwater planet in a spacefaring empire, and then follow that character through adventures. Plus it has way more Obi Wan than the other two, and so has scenes actually well acted.

Empire is just a string of barely connected scenes, bad comedy with C3P0, and then some based stuff with Yoda and that one great lightsabre duel.

You're discounting the atmosphere of Empire. Hoth, Cloud City, and Dagobah are all 10/10 atmospheric environments that added a lot to the story. You're also forgetting about the Han Solo/Leia moment when he's being frozen, the betrayal of Lando, and so many other great moments of the movie.

The Empire seemed a lot more daunting a foe in ESB which I think added a lot more to the drama of the story.

>It builds up to a crescendo.
Not really. I find it hits a major climax when Obi-wan dies, then they try to start it up again with the Rebel attack and it doesn't work nearly as well. He saves the princess, his mentor dies, innocence lost; then they go back for revenge. The third act is very choppy like that

>not liking tatoine
do you need non-stop action? that shit is iconic.

Is there a theater version anywhere? I doubt my VHS's work anymore and Lucas can suck my nuts

Because the Empire wins. Everyone loves the Empire and Vader more than terrorists.

>atmosphere of Empire
That's a funny way of saying Empie is inferior because it feels like a poorly thought out science fiction instead of a fantasy with princesses in space, the best thing about the first one.

Empire has lots of great moments but the atmosphere is really poorly held throughout, all the bad comedy interspaced with the great stuff on Dagobah, for instance. It's a film that is less than the sum of its parts, the other way around from ANH.

>sister and beer
Not bad dude. I will take this to be our new meme.