What are the current trendy subgenres right now?

what are the current trendy subgenres right now?

I know trap is hot with the popular kids and the lo fi beats are cool with the anime nerds, but is there anything remotely original going on in music right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XSqu6MfontU
youtube.com/watch?v=NoJfEv4eqzs
youtube.com/watch?v=K9jdIawyCJ0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9h-Ya7O_w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>anything remotely original going on in music right now
no

post-banjo-core is picking up steam

probably tylo be chillin

t. actually cares about music from 2017

why are you posting on the music board in 2017 then

t. doesn't listen to old music

no. there was five minutes ago, and there will be five minutes from now, but right now there is literally nothing.

i haven't been able to find anything user

I think the newest trend might be "weightless sound", but I don't think it's ever going to be highly popular. Some user made a good point in another thread that kpop will probably be the next big thing in America. I can see that happening and Trap and other rap genres fading out for a while. People need something more cheerful and light, and a lot of asian music can provide that.

youtube.com/watch?v=XSqu6MfontU

>tfw still listening to old sub genres like synthwave and vaporwave
Give me something new senpai I feel outdated

PC Music

youtube.com/watch?v=NoJfEv4eqzs

pc music is so 2016

witch house and vaporwave

It really feels like a transition period. Trap is still huge, too big for another trend to take over in any meaningful away, but is no doubt past it's prime. Give the landscape 6 months and you'll see things changem

Will the charts ever stop being dominated by black ''artists''?

more like 2014

its always been dominated by black music, white people just aren't allowed to blatantly steal it and claim it as their own anymore

Is this true? Am I racist?

not saying you're racist just saying that almost all popular music of the last 100 years are heavily influenced or pioneered by black musicians. Jazz, Rock and roll obviously, Even electronic music, and of course modern hip hop and r and b I mean you can't deny this

Eh, black people have had a huge impact on western popular music for a very long time now and have been at the forefront of a great deal of the most major popular music movements of the 20th and 21st century. Not knowing this doesn't make you a racist, just uninformed or something.

the 1900's popular scene started black, became white in the middle, and returned to black at the end. It might be that way in the 2000's, too.

>white people just aren't allowed to blatantly steal
Blacks steal WAY more music than whites. It's an epidemic really.

>b-but muh negros playing 12-bar blues 70 years ago
fuck off desu, they would still be playing that same irritating song structure to this day if the white man never came along with the creativity to innovate and turn some whiny negro music into art

try harder

This post works if you skip over soul, gospel, jazz, hip-hop, techno, rock, Rnb, funk, disco, reggae, the impact of world music on folk, the impact of world music on psychedelic rock, the overbearing influence of African music on rhythms i.e syncopations and polyrhythms as well as verse chorus song structure

Essentially, no, you're an idiot

Yes, it is. No, you're becoming woke.

Everything had a funky vibe for a minute.
Calvin Harris' new album was good

>what are the current trendy subgenres right now?
Underground gigs.
No seriously, we're back to 1987 all over again. Some gigs get packed now.
Used to be chill before 2015, now it's energetic.
And I don't know where it's really heading...

Naw don't worry senpai this boat is neverending keep hyping my new synthwave

Get outta here

>kpop will probably be the next big thing
If you don't have ears.
It'll be the next glam metal or boy band that's for sure.

progressive rock is THE coolest and most trendy music

>trendy subgenre
>underground gigs

Because fuck genres.

youtube.com/watch?v=K9jdIawyCJ0
Yo, this shit, nigga

Surf Punk/Dirty Doo Wop

Bands like The Frights, SADGIRL and Trudy and the Romance are inspiring newer teenage bands

A more mature upcoming genre is probably Television esque psych rock like Dopeys Robe

I think power pop might make a comeback, bands like The Cowboys are tearing it up

>clonk click tap tap clonk Duhuhuhuhhuh wweeeaheha *autistic alien frequency enters* clonk clonk click tapp tap

Foh with that ugly ass ASMR shit

this shit SLAPS

that shit died by the end of summer 2015

Try wave brohan.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9h-Ya7O_w

>kpop will become popular
>trap will fade out

you don't listen to kpop do you user

Lo fi hiphop is huge right now

Electronic noise projects are v big in NY

a couple of years ago it was the electroacoustic improvisation coming out of erstwhile records.

now that it's 2017 though i don't know what you're looking for.

Basically the beginning of 2010's saw a paradigm shift, and a lot of new, fresh and interesting (although often basing on older ideas) genres emerged. Right now we are waiting for a next big thing, getting sick of the ever-present trap, synth and nostalgic sound that dominated the past few years. I'll give it 2 more years until something revolutionay appears out of the blue and changes the musical landscape for the next few years.

It will be heavy bass samba beats. I've known this for the past few years. Watch. It will happen.

>overstayed its welcome-tier
future funk
synthwave
lo-fi hip-hop

>bloated but still much to be done-tier
vaporwave

>unrealized potential-tier
pc music
future bass

shut up

sadly, because nearly everyone can pick up on the creation of said "genre" and make it sound okay-ish

>future bass
>unrealized potential

nah

as in weightless grime and related genres

it's yet to evolve beyond structureless wankery

why are you implying a music board can only talk about currently trending music