How would you fix the English national team, Sup Forums?

How would you fix the English national team, Sup Forums?
Can it even be fixed at all?

hire a foreign manager instead of another failed English one

Park the bus

I think you kind of have to fix the EPL first and find a way for young English players to get minutes at big EPL clubs instead of 100% foreigners.

This, Kane and Vardy taking so long to get exposure isn't a coincidence, the youth to professional system is broken and is prioritizing today's shiny new meme over careful development and scouting

nothing, it's literally fine the way it is
anyone who thinks england "should" be good or "deserve" to be good haven't been watching football for the last 10-15 years
their players are average, their performances are average, they get decent results in qualifiers because of a self-perpetuating high seeding. the odd win against a good team should be celebrated rather than treated as the norm.

England have, on paper, a top 5 NT

They just keep underperforming competiton after competiton

Fucking this. Their problem isn't exactly talent, even though their squad isnt fully world class, they have some very good players and some above-average ones, but they dont have a manager good enough. Gareth fucking Southgate? Come on m8.

>England have, on paper, a top 5 NT
what on earth are you talking about
what are you basing that on

Install someone who knows the history of English football but is also successful.

We had managerial greatness all throughout the 60s,70s,80s with Don Revie, Sir Bobby Robson and the legacy from all of those years that was basically thrown into the bin during the Premier League era. Obviously times have changed, there's a new Wembley ect. but we are who we are and we are better than what we have been recently.

Mourinho is from the Sir Bob caste of the early 90s. It begins when that happens I'd like to think

They have good players in all positions, this isn't very common amongst NTs

Only Spain, Germany and France are better than England in this category

Over a decade ago maybe. The team has been full of bog average players since

This would help a lot, the two most successful managers in recent history have both been foreign. The FA are reluctant to hire anyone who might challenge them on anything though.

England is balls deep in top EPL talent and theoretically the EPL is a top 2 league

You have a better squad than Holland, Brazil and Argentina and those 3 reached the semis in the last WC

More "pacy" black wingers.
More "lanky" black defenders.
More "small yet dynamic" black defensive midfielders.
More "not that pacy but 1ft taller" black forwards.
More dabbing.
Generally more people who peak at 20 and never deliver in big games.

There, I fixed it.

no they don't
they have alli and kane, who are very good, but inexperienced internationally and (probably) reliant on the spurs system
the rest of their team is very mediocre. a few fast guys with no tactical discipline out wide doesn't change that.

The english team isn't better than any of those, except for Holland, maybe. But you dont need a top squad to win titles, like Chile has been showing us for the last couple of seasons, what you really need is a good head coach.

Ok, name 5 NTs with better players than England in all positions

>manlet strikers
Crouch and Carroll la. Instant World Cup

I know that. All I'm saying is that England has the potential to be good, they have good players in all positions

Guys with great chemistry who play together well and are really driven by national pride

that's why these smaller countries become good in "generations", stuff clicks for 10 years

>Holland
Right now, but they'll stop being shit soon.
>Brazil and Argentina
You can't be serious. Both have a handful of proven world class players. England have zero.

Portugal, Spain, Colombia, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina...I could go on and on.

>their players are average, their performances are average
Thing is, you can't analyse players outside of the system they play. The system allows them to perform. If a player doesn't perform, it can be down to the system. A lot of people wanted to suck Dembele's dick after the England game but a lot of the good he did came as a result of his high positioning (much higher than Lemar on the other side) and allowing him to have the space to run at Cahill. France got this right and so their players could benefit.

germany
italy
france
brazil
spain
argentina (yes really)
belgium
portugal
croatia
chile

those are the only ones that are clearly superior. but england are probably mid-pack in the slurry of middle-power teams like poland, sweden, uruguay, denmark, whichever west african team is currently not a complete fucking mess, serbia, russia, USA (yes really), holland, etc.

>Portugal
no
>Colombia
KEK
>France, Spain
yes
>Italy
close but no
>Brazil and Argentina
we unironically use chinese league players

We have mediocre midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers. Keep in mind Romero is a benchwarmer in a middle table premier league club

Funes Mori is a starter for us and he doesn't even play in your league
Otamendi, says it all
Rojo, see previous players
Biglia? Alli is 10 times better
The new players called by Sampaoli play in the Argentine league, says it all

The only good players we have are Messi and Higuaín

stop relying on pacebabbys and start promoting youth players with good technique who can think quickly

Quick, get England out of the RO16

do the fusion dance with Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland

then at least they'll have Bayol

>start promoting youth players with good technique who can think quickly

almost like those players are a rarity

alli, wilshere and barkley are the only proper ball playing midfielders of this generation. one is still inexperienced, one made of glass and the other complete shite.

Why haven't you given up on Higuain?
Butland
Simpson Keane Terry Shaw
Albrighton Drinkwater Ali Lallana
Vardy Kane

Would it work lads?
>obviously Terry and Shaw aren't 100% srs

Rehire Big Sam

He's still the best centreforward we have

I don't think Icardi would be any better

barkley is one of the dumbest players i have ever seen, he is infuriating, dribbles with his head dow and takes stupid shots

alli is real quality though

this squad could unironically reach a wc semi final

I'd use vardy instead of rashford tho

I know you guys hate Aguero for some reason, but he wouldn't have missed all those sitters in massive games.

>their best team to have a shot at something in the past 3 decades got screwed by a referee

That's some voodoo type shit

agüero missed 10 sitters per game

>Kane and Vardy taking so long to get exposure
Kane is only like 23 and even when he was on loan at Leicester Steve Walsh said he was the most talented player he had ever seen

Start plundering our old colonies like France.

yeah I don't get him. people desperate for young english talent and hyping them up I guess

alli looks the real deal and I hope he develops properly. wilshere is just a shame, he's dominated games for england in the past but looks like his career is dying due to countless injuries

Anyone wanna tell me why people are saying France-England showed how Pogba should be given a freer role? The guy was in the same position as he's been in all season: slightly outside the box, dictating proceedings.

Kane was doggo at Leicester.
He'd get put on the last 5mins of every game because there was a clause to say he had to get on the field, scored one goal against Blackpool early on but thereafter was tripe. Not to begrudge his successes and talent these days but he's come a long way fast

I remember watching him in the Europa League in 2014 and it was evident he was a good player.

Didn't expect him to reach these heights at all though.

>purge the current old farts in charge at the FA
>establish a federal school in which new managers, physios and generic coaches are formed
>teach in said school that 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 isn't the only tactics existing in football
>pour immense investments in developing homegrown talents
>promote technically and mentally gifted players, not just physical abominations that will peak at 21 and then be a complete let down from that point onwards
>introduce B teams (and then abolish that u23 premier league crap), this will give younger players a chance to get some experience at higher levels
>put an embargo on non-EU transfers
>force english clubs to field at least 7 domestic players every match day at all levels from the premier league to league 2
>stop fiddling with bloody kids

but let's face reality: this will never happen, especially the last point

It's not that they don't have a good manager, it's that their thinking is so outdated that all their good managers think differently from them, and they don't like to hire people who think differently from them. George Raynor and Brain Clough are two prominent examples.

There's simply not enough people playing the game. Go to Germany and France and participation at teenage and adult is far higher. Thing is, its a more brutal game here at amateur level, because most people that play at a 'sunday league' level are normally the worst fucking knobheads imaginable. So, basically we've been turning into a nation of fedora neckbeards for the last 40 years

unironically this

why would anybody ever give help to the british?

This, let them burn, just as their country is burning to the ground right now. They deserve it.

mon cher compatriote, if you want to "fix" England NT (and 2bh I'm surprised any self-respecting Frenchman would want to do that), EPL should be fixed first, as said.

We have a lot of talent in this country and our NT should be aiming for semi finals at 2018 WC.

are you seriously saying southgate is a good manager?

If he was do you think the FA would have hired him?

Sven playing scholes as LM ruined our chance of the world cup. Also the ronaldinho free-kick that somehow found it's way into the goal, brutal. I remember watching that in my school canteen in the morning. Broken hearts of millions of young hearts

umm, just won a world cup sweetie x

Yes the FA are clueless, haven't you realised that by now??

That's exactly what I'm saying. The FA rejects all managers who think too differently from them, which includes all the good managers. As a result only terrible ones get hired.

You have to laugh at that stupid fuck for playing a 3 cb backline against a France with Lemar and Dembele on the wings.

It's the opposite isn't it? The fact that England have a competitive league is a good thing. Teams like Sunderland, Hull, Middlesborough etc, probably also the top teams in the Championship like Leeds, would do well in Europa League and even the Champions League. If you can go pro even in the bottom table teams in EPL you're good and should be considered in an England squad IF you fit the team and the teams style of play.

Will the people of England ever realize that you went that far because of Sven not despite of him? Oh well, I guess it would have gone MUCH better with fucking Sam wouldn't it?

>France
>can't win a euro final on home turf
>spurge out to Portugal sans the goat

yes it's good for the clubs, but not for the anglos players.
Look, you are Burnley, Watford or that club with a yorshire dog which just got promoted.
You literally have a €200m budget, because EPL pays so much.
What do you do? give their chances to some unproven and expensive young anglos? or buy the very best, proven, cheap players from small leagues, like French/Portuguese/east Europe or whatever?
EPL money kills the anglo players. England NT coach only has a pool of 50-60 top league players to choose from, while France NT coach has a choice of probably 200-300 top leagues players

England win a world cup just there at u20 level. That's good, considering England's records. But why are France focusing on a meaningless friendly, end of season as well.

Give England some credit where it's due. I'd rather win the u20 world cup and lose a friendly at senior level then win said friendly and lose the final on home turf in the euros

Play the U20 team

The England players Sven had available in 2002 and 2004 were better than the current crop. If Sven was such a good manager he would of achieved something afterwards but like at Lazio it was because he had good players

In what positions isn't Portugal better than England?

I think we could have gone far with Big Sam and just played hoofball/ defensively. It worked for Greece and Portugal. We have to accept the fact that we're just not good enough.

Exactly the 2002 team was stacked with world class talent. No-one in the England team now is world class. When was the last time England had a world class player?

>Teams like Sunderland, Hull, Middlesborough etc, probably also the top teams in the Championship like Leeds, would do well in Europa League and even the Champions League.
Tottenham
>come 3rd in your CLgroup, behind fucking Neverkusen
>get kicked out of EL by fucking Gent

Arsenal
>10-2

Manchester City
>Lads, its AS Monaco

Only Leicester did something impressive by kicking out Sevilla

or am i being rused?

>hire decent coach
>stop being delusional about players like Rooney

this whole "English NT is bad because English players don't have gametime" is a meme that needs to die

during the 70's and 80's, English clubs destroyed everything in Europe with 100% English players, so by this logic you could have expected their NT to be dominant as fuck as well, and yet their national team was just as bad, even failing to qualify for several consecutive tournaments

Get Kane out of CAM for a start

We havent have a distinctive 'english' playing style for a long time. We keep trying to copy other national teams but fail because of the players/coaches here. We should revert back to old school longball 4-4-2 and just play physical.

Cut EPL money by half. EPL ruins the English NT, like our Top 14 ruins our rugger NT.

Speak for yourself... Paulinho is fucking great, he just got fucked by dumbass EPlel coach and tactics. Tite made him great again on the NT, as that hat-trick against you guys showed us.

Gil is a great center-back and dominated BR league on the 2015 season.

Besides them, we don't have anymore chinese league players.

Make a UK team.

Kane was a regular starter for Tottenham at the age of 21

lmao

--------------Hart
------Dier-Cahill-Stones
Walker-Henderson-Lallana-Bertrand
-----Alli----Kane----Sterling

Or Dier-Lallana as central midfielders with Jones taking Dier's spot in the back 3

most of those were ridiculous against a 10-men 18-years-old-average France this week

Even more of them were ridiculous against fucking Iceland. England has to work with what it's got.

So? France have a ridiculously good team, wouldn't put it past them to win the upcoming WC.

That's more or less the best possible 11 we have, except I'd have Butland and Chamberlain.

Alli, Sterling and Kane are a top 10 front 3 (MAYBE). Sub rashford for sterling at it might be slightly improved. But its decent and should get you goals.

>The state of that midfield
Henderson and Lallana wouldn't even make another team in the top 10. Absolutely appalling. They get beat by competent midfield. France embarassed them the other day.

>The state of the defense
Dier as a CB. >pebbles. Even cahill is overrated. How can they compete against world class strikers? Nothing but pylons against the best.

>Joe Hart
le one big save for 5 shit goals man

England are not a top 10 team. They won't be for years.

Picture is the last / best team england was able to produce. It won't happen again for years.