What does Sup Forums think of Dr. Strangelove?

What does Sup Forums think of Dr. Strangelove?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY
youtube.com/watch?v=FG_iLJ95Gkg
youtu.be/Qr2bSL5VQgM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think I can walk mein fuhrer

Not my favorite Kubrick, however I've only seen it once. It seemed sort of 'of-the-times' to me. Lots of people seem to love it though.

thank mein fuhrer

It's hilarious
>We were going to announce our Doomsday Device tomorrow! You know how he loves surprises...

perfection

Funny how sometime in this presidential term, it will be quite close to a reality.

But Hillary didn't win

I'm just as sorry as you are

You think Muffley is like Trump? Have you even seen the movie?

dis. strangelove is an extremely rare 10/10

>kubrick movies are cold
yeh cold war comedy kino
btfo

Best Kubrick along with Barry Lyndon, in my humble opinion

No trump is like strangelove because they are both nazis

FINE, we're both sorry!

Dr. Strangelove is a classic; one of my favorite films

Don't be that guy, their all 'best'

Still one of my Favorite dark comedies

So he's a crippled scientist?

One of my all time favourite movies. Boggles the mind how old it is now, it holds up amazingly well

Comedy kino. Possibly Kubrick's best.

So your sorry and, and I'm sorry too, ok we're both sorry

MEIN FUHRER

I KEN VALK!

Nukes will never go out of style.

One of my favorites

>we cannot afford a mineshaft gap!

Yes but most importantly trump is a nazi who is worse than hitler

Kek

So veminintly opposed to doomsday machines? cool

>Now Mr. President I'm not saying we wouldn't get out hair mussed

absolute kino

>Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

ONE MINIATURE BIBLE AND RUUUUUSIAN PHRASE BOOK

youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

>bodily fluids

one of the greatest films ever made

fg

>Mr. Doctor?
>It's Strangelove
>Maybe, and don't call me luv.
Really Kubrick?

>we have 30 minutes until the planes reach their targets, what options do we have?
>Just stop worrying and love the bomb.
goddammit stanley

I love it but the scenes on the bomber drag. Sellers is genius in it though, especially the small moments like when he's playing the airman and says the string in his leg has gone.

The war room scenes are also starkly beautiful, it's great man.

>Missed my chance to watch this on Turner Classic Movies like two weeks ago

I fucked up.

>Gentlemen you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

>Will there be any Russian missiles sent to the US in response?
>Not sure, but we better start RUSHIN', or we're gonna be in deep shit!
This scene kinda fucked up the movie for me :/

I have this on a t-shirt

>it's a people pretend dr strangelove is really funny episode when it's the worst shit i have ever seen in my entire life

pleb

>it's a people pretend you're not a flaming faggot episode

> a wild edgelord appears
> it uses "not an argument"
> it's not very effective

>I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence.

Is he, dare I say, our guy?

kino

GOAT movie desu

youtube.com/watch?v=FG_iLJ95Gkg

Thank you POE

He starts nuclear war because of his bodily essence, he is our role model, our guide, /ourguy/ just doesn't cover it

You are a stupid

C.R.M. 114 DISCRIMINATOR

>I don't know how to put this sir, but are you aware of what a massive breach in security that would be? I mean he'll see everything! He'll see the big board!
absolute comedy kino

I just watched it yesterday, and now I'm hankering for some gum.

best movie ever

It honestly isn't funny at all.

honestly you might just be really dumb

It's trash, pure and unadulterated trash

(you)

Maybe I'm too much of a military nerd but the bomber scenes are pure war kino, dat technical detail. Also I think showing the crew's proficiency and professionalism contrasts well with the silliness of the men meant to be leading them. Notice how they continue to mostly play it straight in the plane scenes while the scenes on the base and in Washington get steadily more ridiculous.

I got the feeling dr. strangelove might've been an ex nazi or something

no "might be" needed

it aged like milk

fuck off stale brah your pathetic

nah, that's dumb 'strangelove' is obviously not a german surname

it's great the whole scene with the survival kit is pure kino

The consequences of the repression of sexuality are markedly demonstrated in Commander Jack. D. Ripper, named quite clearly after the famous serial killer whose victims were prostitutes – a parallel can be drawn here with Kubrick’s Ripper, who sought to destroy the Russians for robbing him of his essence, through fluoridation, the victims of Jack the Ripper also stole the ‘precious bodily fluids’ (Kubrick, 1964) of the men they slept with. While most writers describe General Ripper’s character as impotent, it is clear that he was actually describing the ‘refractory period’; Burgess defends this point, arguing that the General feeling ‘empty’ is not a euphemism for impotence (p. 41). Pingeton references Sigmund Freud’s idea of the death drive, the impulse a man feels when he does not subconsciously feel in control of his sexual instincts or nature, and in response to this he will push himself to death in his frustration (2010, p. 151). After losing his ‘essence’ Ripper wants death – but not only for himself, but also for those who stole this essence from him. General Turgidson is the embodiment of sexual frustration, and is aptly named, ‘buck’ a term used to refer to a virile male, and Turgidson, comes from the word turgid – Buck Turgidson is thus named for swollen masculinity. George C. Scott’s character portrays pent up sexual frustration on screen, bouncing around the War Room, and actually physically fighting with the Russian ambassador at one point. He is the most vocal in his support for Jack Ripper’s pre-emptive strike – an immediate need for action is what will grant him his release.

Kubrick makes the point that the men in Dr. Strangelove were acting irrationally as a result of their repression, thus the importance of Dr. Strangelove is made clear. Kubrick made a film that attacked American society’s notions of sexuality in a time where these issues were not discussed; Dr. Strangelove attempted to bring these issues to the forefront, and wanted to demonstrate the impact repression of sexuality has on the actions of man.

You're cool

Another weakness in man Kubrick showcases is our sexuality, or, as Blaire Pingeton argues, the consequences of an accumulation of subjugated sexuality (2010, p. 154). In 1964, sexual intercourse was only to be indulged in marriage; matrimony was of course only to be granted to heterosexuals, and homosexuality was almost unanimously believed to be a sin and categorized as a mental disorder (Pingeton, 2010, p. 149). However, living up to its name, Dr. Strangelove portrays not one instance of the traditional, accepted forms of sexuality – a military general has sex with his secretary, who he is assumedly not married to, the contingency plan following nuclear war encourages the top echelons of government to reproduce the population and to throw away the notions of monogamy (Pingeton, 2010, p. 149).

It's not really about the Cold War, it's about SEX.

youtu.be/Qr2bSL5VQgM

did Sellers lost it at 1:20?