/daily/ - Xmas Comin' Early Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elodie_lauten/the_death_of_don_juan/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gidge/autumn-bells/
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=Tadjikistan&limit=none&countries=
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alice-coltrane/turiya-sings-3/
kbonet.com/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/folke-rabe/what/
mega.nz/#F!xFkEQZbT!dcMq584-Od343BZqtRWtNA
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/orchestre-de-la-bastille-myung-whun-chung-yvonne-loriod-jeanne-loriod/turangalila-symphonie/
i.imgur.com/e08Ryo2.jpg
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/asterisk_/dogma_i__death_of_a_dromologist/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/вапняки_під_голим_небом/вапняк_під_голим_небом/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/янка/стыд-и-срам/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_third_eye_foundation/the_dark/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/wendy_carlos/beauty_in_the_beast/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sophia_loizou/chrysalis/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/drahcir-ztiworoh/eros-in-arabia/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eric-taxxon/the-art-state/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/graeme-revell/the-insect-musicians/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vektroid/iss2_2/
cbrcbr.bandcamp.com
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-lee-hooker/it-serve-you-right-to-suffer-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=o59l4zLDONA&list=PLR4Kwj9jEbrpysgzZP_spBI6AlDv1Ky5f
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_birthday_party/live_1981_82/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/julian-kytasty/black-sea-winds-the-kobzari-of-ukraine/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ibrahim-ferrer/buena-vista-social-club-presents-ibrahim-ferrer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cow

Tourney Final Rankings:
1. Jimmy Jazz: 9.0-
2. Moregwessor: 8.5-
3. Canine: 8.0+
4. Letov: 8.0+
5. GFR: 8.0+
6. EthyBoy: 8.0+
7. Trip Up: 7.5+
8. Torts: 7.5+
9. Jangle: 7.5-
10. Rudi: 7.0+
11. NatKingCole: 7.0+
12. Trianglecubed: 7.0+
13. Huit: 7.0-
14. Co: 7.0-
15. Dogwander: 7.0-
16. Borzoi: Lucifer – 6.5+
17. Yamir: 6.5-
18. Lamb: 6.5-
19. Stick: 6.5-
20. Breadhead: 6.5-
21. Nyar: 6.0+
22. Karenin: 6.0+
23. FlyingIceWizard: 6.0+
24. The Sound: 6.0-
25. Accel: 6.0-
26. Arra: 6.0-
27. Herb Guy: 5.5+
28. NoveltyCondom: 5.5+
29. Oneothe: 5.5+
30. Caviarr: 5.5+
31. Shamepai: 5.5-
32. Gross: 5.5-
33. Animal Brollective: 5.0-
34. Ricebeansandegg: 4.5-
35. Denzi: 4.5-
36. Selib: 4.0+
37. Zara: 4.0-
38. Crunch: 3.0+
39. Random: 2.5+
40. Transgod: 2.0+

Restrictions for next rec:
1. MUST have at least 100 ratings
2. MUST be between 20 minutes and 2 hours
3. Any release other than an EP or Single is fine (archival, bootlegs, live, mixtapes, DJ mixes, etc all work)
4. must be something I haven't rated yet

Need recs from
Moregwessor
GFR
Lamb
Torts (?)
Jangle
Rudi
Nat
Huit
Borzoi
Yamir
Stick
Breadhead
And probably nyar since jangle doesn't want to rec me something with over 100 ratings

Everyone gets a week from last night to rec me something and jangle gets one day

thanks to everyone else for playing :D

Also Torts, am I supposed to listen to the EP or the album of the same name you recced me? Because the album doesn't have 100 ratings.

i need 29 people to temporarily rate this album please
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elodie_lauten/the_death_of_don_juan/

thanks

Gidge - Autumn Bells

(this version)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gidge/autumn-bells/

ok!

26 now :^)

This is still my moment of musical career's pride

Thought about it today while driving and it is so bizzare lmao

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=Tadjikistan&limit=none&countries=

>Sondre Lerche - Faces Down
Pretty nice signer/songwriter. Lyrics are good, instrumentation is good. All around good but nothing I will remember tomorrow.
5/10
>King Krule - King Krule
The voice is what mainly does it for me, something charming in that bloke voice. Besides that the instrumentation is fine but nothing to write home about.
5/10
>Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Wow this instrumentation is amazing and wow these lyrics are corny as hell. But if you ignore the lyrics, which aren't even that bad, this is a beautiful record. The strings man those god damn strings make everything come together.
7/10

1/3 done bb! Making progress!

You need a brick in your face

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alice-coltrane/turiya-sings-3/

is yamir dead?

Good scores tbqh

I 100% gave you my rec already tho, didn't I?

Kadhja Bonet - The Visitor

(Just gonna take the time to point out how great a Christmas music review duo "FishleToe and MistleTorts" would be)

o wait
>MUST have at least 100 ratings
heck...
>checks
>Kadhja has 101 ratings
eyyyyyyyyyy!

oh I see the question mark, the RYM one with 100+ ratings is an EP that doesn't exist. I was reccing the album version that has no ratings.

Frig.

I'm pretty sure, though ,everybody just rated the fake non-existent EP because it was the only thing in her discog on RYM for a while.

Album is here,
kbonet.com/
and at least one thing with the exact same title/name has 100+ ratings.

:^) Does it count or do I need to rec again?

yeah I'm gonna need a rec from nyar

nvm man

added

yes

just rec me somethin' else

Listened to the Hard-Fi album "Stars of CCTV" as an effort to recall nostalgic memories of the past where "Hard to Beat" and "Living For the Weekend" where frequently played on the radio and my lord do I have mixed feelings about this. There are tracks like Middle Eastern Holiday where they pull garage influence well though for the most part it is blatantly overproduced and inconsistent in quality to the point where I felt kinda sick midway through the album. Since my brother is a huge fan of them and Razorlight figured I'd give it a go though it was just as difficult as I'd imagined, multiple listens aren't really helping either.

With that noted what artists do your siblings like and what are your thoughts on them? Have they influenced you at all?

Can you send us a link to your rym page please? Just to make sure that I do not send you an album that you are already familiar with.

>just rec me somethin' else
D; heck

Doug Snyder & Bob Thompson - Daily Dance

considering the title of this album and how I memed it back in the day, I'm shocked you haven't rated this yet. (I should meme it until it becomes /daily/core desu)

>Starvector
who? Are you on this tourney?

rym is ~I_AM_FISH tho

added

>With that noted what artists do your siblings like and what are your thoughts on them?
One of them only likes Muse and rejected all reccs
The other one really likes 21 pilots
>Have they influenced you at all?
No

(accel)
vektroid's noisier/glitchier stuff is her best. check out big danger when you get a chance. it's like if aaron dilloway made vaporwave.

(fish)
wew
dark times
bee movie is extremely funny from a conceptual perspective, as in "jerry was shitposting about making an awful kids movie and then they made an awful kids movie on accident."

>5. GFR: 8.0+
oh cool
stiff competition though. what's jimmy's album called?also, didn't expect you to like $uccessor.
my rec is Richard Dawson - The Magic Bridge

(furfag user)
cool

on it. don't tell oilslick.

i didnt like that either, when i heard it last year
I guess i prefer their more traditional vaporwave releases (telnet erotika, Color ocean road, Shader)
that and New Dreams Ltd. - Initiation Tape (Isle of Avalon Edition) was probably my first and favorite album from them.

laughed loudly

Fine then take this you fucking fascist
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/folke-rabe/what/
Don't listen to it in a car and preferably with headphones.

join if you're looking for a music, new week starts tomorrow

mega.nz/#F!xFkEQZbT!dcMq584-Od343BZqtRWtNA

Apologies for the confusion, I mistook your thumbnail as being a conspiracy info-graph on the Pentagon. Still, it'll help for future reference. Have a nice day!

disappointing but understandable onions
>got in by the skin of my teeth
nice
here's the next le rec
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/orchestre-de-la-bastille-myung-whun-chung-yvonne-loriod-jeanne-loriod/turangalila-symphonie/

If he accepts me... *blushes*

>Lift to Experience - The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads
This is one of my favorite albums ever. Great drums, spoken word, walls of sound, an amazing story, amazing lyrics, almost feels custom made for me.
9/10
>The Trees Community - The Christ Tree
I never expected to find another band that sounded like Comus. This is good, great atmosphere, ok lyrics, good instrumentation. Nothing that really stuck with me.
5/10
>Half-handed Cloud - Flying Scroll Flight Control
Cute indie pop about Jesus. I should hate this. This should be a 1. Thankfully the songs are fun and the lyrics said with some passion. They actually like god unlike so much other religious indie pop.
5/10

Hey... where did Zara go? Seemed like a nice newtrip :'(

I'm gonna upload the updated dailychart in a sec btw

accepted

accepted ;3

and how about I listen to it however I want? (which will probably be with headphones, to be fair)

yeahyeahyeah TJC is funtimes

Still need recs from

Moregwessor
Lamb
Rudi
Nat
Borzoi

restrictions here rec me

Here we go everyone, especially caviarr, lamb, ricebeansandegg, and Hope this one is correct, if you spot any errors, write to me

Full quality: i.imgur.com/e08Ryo2.jpg

>And probably nyar
That's good enough for me
Have you heard smog- the doctor came at dawn? On mobile otherwise I'd just check your rym

No stop please

Now whatcha gon do wit it

I have heard that one

also jangle decided to stop being a stinker, so I'll give you the rec if moregwessor, lamb, rudi, nat, or borzoi doesn't give me a rec in the week

>and how about I listen to it however I want? (which will probably be with headphones, to be fair)
I'm just saying it's a really subtle record so playing it in a noisy environment is not appropriate. Basically treat it like Time Machines.

I’m looking but I wanted sth classical and have a hard time finding sth >100 ratings that I think you’ll like so I’ll probably have to go with sth else :) I’m looking though!

Damn
Also how Nyar is the fact that I got 21st out of 40 in an elimination situation?? Like wow man

I will never

I bet it stink and will sound like poo poo pee pee

take your time :) I believe in u!

vry proud of u boy

Only one I see not giving a rec is Moregwessor, who hasn't posted since the 18th. I pm'd on rym tho so who knows.

Why does it have to be 20 minutes +? :(
I have a 16 minutes album I think you'll love but I can find something else

rec the 16 minute album and if it looks realreal good I'll consider

>I bet it stink and will sound like poo poo pee pee
Yes, you will probably not like it :8)

no backbone my dude

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/asterisk_/dogma_i__death_of_a_dromologist/

cucked by a longboi

>grindcore
yeah I'll add this

Nice I think you'll be all about it

Thanks Bozori!

thankies!!!

p sure most of us are just phinkos

I eagerly await my pans

Also I love how effortlessly you're going through this. When fish rated peoples' favorite albums he got so much shit

That's because he likes being insulted. Like Beji and aqam before him.

Not gonna lie solo violin improv scares me a bit.

I leave it up to the fact I'm new and plebby that people are letting me get away with lower scores. I've only been told to piss off by one guy so I consider myself lucky.

Still no lengthy reviews as I'm just not up for it, but I'll drop my thoughts so I can officially "finish" this chart though I've been done with it for a few days now

>Rashad Becker - Traditional Music of Notional Species Vol. II
This man has 1739 technical credits according to discogs and is unquestionably one of the best mastering engineers in the game. So it comes as no surprise to me that he is able to create this mind bending array of electronic tones whose sound and textures alone are interesting enough to support an album let alone the compositions themselves.

>Mark Isham - Vapor Drawings
Somehow not cheesy new age progressive electronic. The way it is produced sounds like a tiny electronic symphony. It's so inhuman yet so warm. Overall an incredibly well put together album with moments of pure, unabashed joy thanks to the most patriotic trumpet playing I've heard to date plus the reverbed kick drums. Reminds me of Eno's best early electronic work.

>Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music
A beautiful mess, that's for sure. This album tries to tackle so many themes and moods in a rather cinematic fashion, occasionally falling a little flat as a result. I for one don't think the mix of jazz and classical makes sense, and I didn't care for the spoken word segment either. However, the raw talent that pervades this album is undeniable, and there is so much going on in each song I can't even begin wrap my head around how this was composed. Would only be a pretty good album if not for the literal 10/10 songs "The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers" and "Hobo Ho". There is so much life to those two tracks. Mingus sure knows how to handle a brass section.

Feel free to drop me some recs for my next chart.

Nick Drake Bryter Layter

eh.
interested to see how that record does, given that richard's albums have gotten a 5 and an 8 before.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/вапняки_під_голим_небом/вапняк_під_голим_небом/
If you give this a lower score than Iceage I'm going to post a reaction image expressing my distaste

Lol don’t worry
There’s quite different tastes here desu, most people here would rate about half the albums on there ~5

this looks amazing

srry i was super tired and completely skipped over reading the rules

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/янка/стыд-и-срам/

Letov links it up again.

Never change.

Duly noted. Only 10 other ratings eh? I feel like the chosen one. What's the deal with this album?

Thanks Rudi, by the way Sun Ship is amazing, you're up next.

Agreed when it comes to Becker and Isham. The latter who I found surprisingly great

future reccs:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_third_eye_foundation/the_dark/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/wendy_carlos/beauty_in_the_beast/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sophia_loizou/chrysalis/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/drahcir-ztiworoh/eros-in-arabia/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eric-taxxon/the-art-state/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/graeme-revell/the-insect-musicians/

Lots of these are good picks I found from my backlog

i guess you dont like those as much
did you ever listen to this
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vektroid/iss2_2/

nah. is it good?
i usually like ramona's experimental side a lot more. it's part of the reason i like floral shoppe to this day.

>atmospheric drum and bass
Didn't know this was a thing

I remember being really perplexed by it 3 years ago, it's a darker type of weird from what I heard of Seed & Synthetic Earth. and it's got good album art
and wtf i like floral shoppe for the opposite of its experimental side
two different sides to that album, in a way

me too until recently

It is. The really weird stuff doesn't start happening until side B, though.

A bunch of Ukrainians living in Canada have an existential crisis after listening to Pere Ubu and Henry Cow.

for it's time, it was pretty radical in its approach, at least as far as content distributed online goes.
will check out yr rec.

>Franz Schubert - String Quartet No. 15 G-major Op. 161 DV 887
I am not a classical music guy so I have no idea what I should say. It sounded tense yet pretty. This review sucks fat dick but the album was good.
6/10
>John Coltrane - Sun Ship
Elvin Jones is my favorite jazz drummer and holy shit this album made me want to practice so bad. Actually I paused at Amen to work on dynamics. Its crazy avant-garde spiritual jazz and I love it. So good, so god damn good. Could defiantly score higher in the future.
8/10
>FKA twigs - M3LL155X
Way better than I thought it would be. Good lyrics, great beats, and grimy and glitchy as all hell. Good stuff.
6/10

anyone know of some decent netlabels to send an ambient album/EP to?
also is there some kinda discord that I can lurk in lol

>Could defiantly score
>defiantly
hnngh

the /daily/ netlabel of course

Oh god damn it, of course I missed that

Rod has a label, I think

I'm sold. I need a dl tho.

oh damn, I didn't know /daily/ had one, thanks for letting me know
whoever runs it hit me up at [email protected]

cbrcbr.bandcamp.com
rod's hot rod

>>/76544210/

Wait, shit

well there isn't one but there totally should be
a containment label :{}

HOWDY HO THAT'S ME
will mssg ya in a sec

nice :)

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-lee-hooker/it-serve-you-right-to-suffer-1/

Stuart Dempster - In the Great Abbey of Clement VI
Ambient music is all atmosphere, which the first and third track (added post-release in a new issue) are really nice, and feature some echoey trombone takes from inside a large concert hall.
The second track uses a PVC pipe as the instrument, and while making some interesting and pleasant noises doesn't convey much atmosphere. Still a great album by a forward thinking artist, and certainly worth a listen for track 3.
7.5 /10

The other one is good avantgarde jazz that I don't feel like writing about, listen to it if you like above average avantgarde jazz.

holy fucking shit

i know about your ambivalence towards I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, but how come you didn't like My Woman?

accel vs letov
>Hilary Hahn & Hauschka - Silfra
Interesting and beautiful album, the playing from both of them is great but what I liked the most is the incorporation of droning segments, sadly this just happens for brief moments here and there.
7+

>Tim Buckley - Dream Letter (Live in London 1968)
I mean, we all know about Tim's vocal delivery, by listening to his studio albums it was kind of obvious how he was at his peak around late 60s, this wonderful live performance just reafirms that. The voice as an instrument is the main thing to considerate here, but also is remarkable how tight is the band playing. It's almost 2 hours and there's not a weak moment from any of the 4 guys playing on there.
9+

youtube.com/watch?v=o59l4zLDONA&list=PLR4Kwj9jEbrpysgzZP_spBI6AlDv1Ky5f

That time of year again, and this is my favorite album for it. I'm a sucker for big band arrangements of classical music.

:)

imo almost every song there is better than the studio version, truly the peak of his folk era. Glad you liked it so much.

Just need a rec from rudi and moregwessor

sowwy :( I liked the first song on that EP but in general I don't like shoegaze

I suppose I'm just not sold on that aspect of lethargic, lana-esque indie music. I really liked Sister and Shut Up Kiss Me but not much else

if you get a chance dog could you swap out fresh fruit for rotting vegetables on mine with this
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_birthday_party/live_1981_82/

added

holy fuck I fucked up, how do i fix this guys
honestly I'm impressed with the score you gave it, I was expecting much worse

stop listening to music

okay, that's fair.

i'd still recommend giving strange cacti and burn your fire for no witness listens, though. strange cacti is one of my favorite releases of the decade, and burn your fire has some great tracks in the same vein as shut up kiss me.

thanks.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/julian-kytasty/black-sea-winds-the-kobzari-of-ukraine/

Let’s try this rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ibrahim-ferrer/buena-vista-social-club-presents-ibrahim-ferrer/