How can one 'own' land...

How can one 'own' land? How can any man claim exclusive entitlement to something that has existed for billions of years before them?

How do you own yourself when your atoms have been around since the big bang?

If you own yourself they win.

owning land in exchange for parting with a considerable amount of shekels (buying power you previously had) is a modern, civilized way of saying "this is my territory, I'll base yer fokking head in if you set foot in it ya cunt"

Labor generates value.
Money stores value. (Well, modern money stores debt. Even though our monetary system is maintained through usury, it still functions as real money for your average person.)
Land has value.
Money is exchanged for land.

Alternatively, if land is not owned, labor can be used to add to its value, and the laborer can thereby claim ownership of the land. This is called homesteading.

This, and it's the only way anything of lasting value can come into being.

By claiming it as your own and keeping others off of it. This is how it has worked since the dawn of life itself.

No such thing as a private land owner in the United States. The government owns all of the land; Uncle Sam just leases it to us in the form of property taxes. Forget to pay those and you'll be out on the street in no time.

You own the land if nobody else can take it from you

>How can one 'own' land?

Private property is a construct that was created as an incentive for people to invest labor into this land. If you wouldn't be safe from others taking the land nobody would start to grow shit, build factories,...
Private property is the foundation of western society!
Now watch some old Stefan Molyneux videos newfag and lurk for at least another 6 month!

FPBP

You can't own land. You have to pay taxes on it every year. That isnt owning. That is renting from the government. If you default on these taxes they take your land and your house.

People on this board who think you can own land are surprisingly stupid. The government owns it all.

Georgism makes a lot of sense.

But under capitalism, land is supposed to be put to use and exploited efficiently thanks to the profit motive. So in a way it doesn't really matter who owns it. In practice, capitalism is never unregulated. Rent-seeking and letting land going unused (to affect the rest of the market as part of some scheme...) is generally not allowed (but some say that you tell who the real elite of society are by looking at who is being allowed to benefit from rent-seeking).

The situation isn't all that different from owning any other kind of capital. How did the rich get rich? If it's not hard work alone (which does happen I think), then it's just being born in a rich family, receiving the right kind of education, having businesses connections, having the time and money to dedicate yourself to your businesses, or they just inherited it (or it might just be random chance even). It's not any more fair, but as long as the system pushes them to put it to use, then its use is not taken away from consumers (but the capital owners still rake in the profits).

But the idea that land and natural resources are a special case always made sense to me.

More people used to own land in America. It was a part of the "freedom" you enjoyed in America. Now we're transiting to a "democracy" of property-less, indebted people.

t. Gommie

Yeah, one might argue it keeps the limited amount of land put to good use (no hippies living off the land, gotta feed the system), but I personally think it's not worth it at all.

Fuck the American government's taxes.

Because nature is resource meant to be used, not spectacle to look at slackjawed.

Eh didn't realise Australian Aboriginals migrated to America.

Sauce on the clothes in that pic? Mods?

are you stupid or retarded

Well you know any OTHER sapient beings we can talk it over with?

Simple, men is powerful enough to keep it as their property, when compared to other forms of life.

It's a fucking video game you faggot

This. Regardless of the philosophical "validity" of private property, it is proven to be the best way to incentivize taking care of land and building something out of it.

just look at what shitholes public places are- when everyone is responsible for something, no one is- and it becomes a mess

commies should really just kill themselves for not realizing this

Funny story!

You, as an individual, literally cannot own land.

Your country has claimed the land and it belongs to your country. Technically what you are doing is leasing a piece of land from your country, but it is never really "yours", which is why you don't get to declare your own laws in there or claim exemption from taxes or anything like that.

Potentially you could own land in the same manner as a country owns land if you bought an island that no nation had control over, or if they actually granted it to you, as from one nation to another.

that's a Chinese cap, you call tell by the red star

Gas the bourgeoisie, class war now!

Ya, I want to put my FO4 character in those clothes lad. Those fatigues look nicer than the vanilla ones. Also, did me saying "mods" not tip you off that I was aware it was vidya? You know what, never mind.

Thanks familia

Atoms that aren't hydrogen or helium are created in stars

There is no entitlement to land. If you can however make people respect some land as your property (because you're powerful, alpha or in modern times: got a lot of money) you're going to do just that,

Here we have the concept of odel, that's what the rune comes from and mean too.

How can I explain. A farm has been in an ætt/clan for lit thousands of years in cases. Today land has been taken from farms for building houses, this property is not sold, but is rented for typically 100 years.

The farmer has Odel to this ground, his oldest son will become an "odelsgutt" and odels boy, inheriting the land.

Much more to it than this, but a short example.

So a foreigner moving here, he has no odel, his family has none, it's taken get out basically. King Harald the first got people really pissed, as he claimed all Odel in the kingdom.

This basically ment he owned even your family farm.. caused hell. These grounds are filled with powerfull landsvætter, elfs and haugamen. Unholy shit happens when you open a gravemound, people actually move in fear and sell their houses to this day.

Don't mess with this land.

>big bang
>real

Im bored of reading this. You all know what he means. Stop trying to be clever, you look like a pretentious douche. Jesus.

i bought mine from a strange looking jap

Wow I hope you idiots really do believe in that dumb shit.

wow, thats cool
So if you build a house there it will be destroyed in 100 years/ belong to the odelsgutt now? and norway is quite big for it's population, is all the area, (in the north and stuff) divided in Odels?

Ownership and property is the only "real" we know of. All I have to do to own an object is attain it and to prove I have attained it I must exert ownership of it.

Because I'm willing to kill to keep it.

It also prevents land monopolies. Two sides to everything.

Atoms weren't created at the big bang.