Beyond Thunderdome/Mad Max

Finally got around to watching this movie for the first time, I love the first two, and I came away with more questions than answers. The tone of the film shifts constantly, I can't tell if it's aimed at kids or adults, and nothing is really accomplished by the plot. What the hell happened Sup Forums?

Mad Max general too.

1 is boring, I can understand it was groundbreaking when it first came out but now it's just boring.2 is still a masterpiece, a better chase movie than 4.Haven't seen the 3rd one so for me it's 2 > 4 > 1

3 has its own charm, but it's far and away from being a good "mad max" film.

it was made at a time when people in hollywood were snorting an exceptional amount of cocaine

3 Had good ideas that sometimes were executed well and other times felt far too hollywood; but you're right that the plot felt like nothing was really accomplished.

i had this exact conversation with a mate less than 48 hours ago. I agree its not a good "mad max" film but i also think its a very good dystopia future movie .... and i cant really reconcile those conflicting viewpoints

after making mad max 3 and before making mad max 4, George Miller went on to make Babe, Babe 2: Pig in the City, Happy Feet and Happy Feet 2

A lot of shit went down during the production of the movie.

Byron Kennedy, who'd produced the first two, was killed in a helicopter crash. He was responsible for a lot of the cool car designs and action sequences, hence why there's barely much in the way of that in Thunderdome, as George Miller's more into crazy, over the top visuals and fantasy.

Apparently some of Miller's family died during the shoot as well. He was already depressed due to Byron Kennedy dying and that was the last straw, so the studio had to get in another director.

On top of all that, Miller had originally wanted to do some sort of post-apocalyptic version of Lord of the Flies, hence why we get the irritating tribe of kids.

It's really a complete mess of a movie and I see far too much of it in Fury Road. Road Warrior can't be topped.

This is correct

Some plebs would argue 4 is better than 2 but they're quite wrong

It's definitely an awesome film aesthetically but other than that it's a mess. I'm watching the fourth one tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

who /wegotthewindupourarse/ here?

I like Thunderdome desu. It's just a lesser sidequest for Max. Certain movies can pull off a worse sequel by virtue of the world they're set in.

Just who was The Humungus? He's a fascinating character

Isn't there a theory that he's one of the cops from the first film?

That's fair enough. It's definitely an entertaining movie and the sets and costumes were awesome.

I know he was originally meant to be Goose from the first film, hence the burned face and all the former cops in his crew.

All Miller said about Humungus was that he was formerly in the military, although I still wonder how he got his hands on that Prussian Totenkopf.

2 > 4 > 1 > 3

2 and 4 are action masterpieces, 1 is a great 70s exploitation film, 3 is a good but flawed adventure movie.

>What the hell happened Sup Forums?
one of George Miller's main collaborators died during production, and Miller had another movie about a tribe of kids he always wanted to make so he stuffed it into it

What the fuck happened between 1 and 2? It went from a dystopian society plagued by outlaw bikers to a complete warzone populated by pseudo-medieval leather clad barbarians in three years or so. What amount of shit went down?

Nuclear war happened.

They mention that society began to fall apart when water started to dry up, during Road Warrior the cities were still probably good but the outskirts became hellholes, then nuclear war happened.

every part 3 is every ones worst one yet or the best one in the series

depending on who you ask

THE WEAK SHOULD FEAR THE STRONG

>1 is boring
Thank God someone else thinks this. I heard so many people raving about MM1, but I got so bored watching it. I felt bad that I couldn't enjoy it.

I'm glad you asked. This is the preamble from the Road Warrior script and probably the closest to an explanation as we'll get.

tl;dr There was a global fuel shortage, the economy got fucked and law and order broke down

Also the nukes were dropped AFTER Road Warrior

The opening narration of Road Warrior explained that a war happened which caused oil to become more scarce.

That happened AFTER MM2