How's the year going so far, Sup Forums? what are your most listened to artists? favourite discoveries?

How's the year going so far, Sup Forums? what are your most listened to artists? favourite discoveries?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLuvMTPaTg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

to heck with this year

heck

2018 might not be better :/

I've been filling out my UNESCO traditional music collection (mostly from the late-'50s to the mid-'80s) - lots of underappreciated albums available for sale in that series
I discovered another older world music label called VDE Gallo, which has some priceless recordings from the '30s-'50s (I classify all the older ones as dating before Peter Gabriels Real World label was founded in the late-'80s, and the "world music craze" that followed)
I discovered a label for traditional Chinese music called Hugo, based in HK, which has some of the best recordings of tradtional guqin and guzheng playing I've ever found.
and there are a bunch of musicians designated Living National Treasures by the Japanese government that I've been trying to track down, though they're out of print or else the vendors in Japan don't ship outside the Kanto region, let alone the country.
overall a productive year, for sure

can't complain

+Magma, Steely Dan
++Ozric, Sabbath
First time I think I've ever seen Ozric Tentacles mentioned on Sup Forums, so that's pretty cool.
+Jonwayne, Kanye, Mac, Mountain Goats, Sweet Valley
And this is the first time I've seen any reference to Sweet Valley on here.

Good thread so far, y'all seem cool.

I'd recommend you the first Camper van Beethoven album if you haven't heard it before - I get the impression you'd like it

Lots of gym music, really tinkers the thinker

That's a lot of seafood

>not listening to scott walker while walking

damn, you must go through many old-fashioned instances to acquire those

Thanks, I'll check it out
+Deerhoof, Pixie, Regina Spektor, Feist, Cocteau Twins, TG
Lots of good picks on this one.

And yeah, I followed Phish's whole MSG run this year and scrobbled those as I listened, which is part of why they're so far ahead of the rest of my artists

>>not listening to scott walker while walking
>walking
>gym

I do walk to the gym tho so where should I start (with Scott Walker)?

ozric best rock band from the 90s

Climate of Hunter, then move forwards in time if you want more left field stuff, and to the self titled albums if you want something more baroque pop

I've become weirdly obsessed with Agalloch.
I cant really explain it. I like nothing else even remotely like them, just them specifically.

De La Soul, came across them completely by chance

youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLuvMTPaTg

Vid related is what I heard.

"This is dedicated to all those HARDCORE ACTS"
"FUCK OFF"

true - lots of recordings I only get to hear by winging it and buying without even knowing what it sounds like. lots of waiting for out-of-print recordings to drop until they land in my price range. having access to multiple online marketplaces helps: Canada, Britain, Germany, Japan - I can usually find some source, though not always
but there's a lot to get from libraries too - taking them home, copying them - it's even gotten easier to photograph the liner notes
and there's still a treasure trove of music online, of course. most of those Chinese recordings I mentioned are long out of print and impossible to buy for any price, but I found the whole collection in a torrent around 2 months ago. I still haven't recovered from that discovery yet - there's way too much in there to process all at once. exciting though, for sure

What about them are you digging? And what albums in particular?

thank

musically its been ok, wish i could say the same for the rest of my life

>to heck with this year
word