Canonical Classics You've No Interest In Seeing

The Godfather. Three hours of ethically dishonest glorification of the Mafia, who approved the script. Produced and directed by a couple of guys who seem a little dicey to me, starring Marlon Brando doing a bunch of gimmicks. The look is mostly ripped off from Bertolucci, but with more monotonous cinematography. The effect is like one of John Huston's middle-period films where he would restrict his palette to the range of some extra-cinematic visual art influence - people groaned when he decided that Moby Dick should look faded or Reflections in a Golden Eye should be printed in shades of gold and pink, but for some reason nobody objects to Coppola getting Gordon Willis to render sunlight as light brown in this movie. Everyone who opposes the Corleones in this movie and Part 2 is worse than them, conveniently enough, and John Marley's monolog is especially piss-poor - it's embarrassing to think of one of the stars of Cassavetes' Faces being best known for this bullshit.

What's your canonical classic you've no interest in seeing? Feel free to pick more than one.

The Star Wars Prequels. Five hours of ethically dishonest glorification of the Jedi, who approved the script. Produced and directed by a couple of guys who seem a little dicey to me, starring Ewan McGregor doing a bunch of gimmicks. The look is mostly ripped off from the Matrix, but with more monotonous cinematography. The effect is like one of John Huston's middle-period films where he would restrict his palette to the range of some extra-cinematic visual art influence - people groaned when he decided that Moby Dick should look faded or Reflections in a Golden Eye should be printed in shades of gold and pink, but for some reason nobody objects to Lucas getting ILM to render sunlight as light brown in this movie. Everyone who opposes the Jedi in this movie and AOTC is worse than them, conveniently enough, and Hayden Christensen's monologue is especially piss-poor - it's embarrassing to think of one of the stars of Life as a House being best known for this bullshit.

Same. Godfather sounds really boring and too much goomba action.

>The Star Wars Prequels
>classics
I forget sometimes that most people here are under 20.

any spaghetti western

The Dark Knight Rises. Five minutes of ethically dishonest glorification of the CIA, who approved the script. Produced and directed by a couple of guys who seem a little dicey to me, starring Tom Hardy doing a bunch of gimmicks. The look is mostly ripped off from Hancock, but with more monotonous cinematography. The effect is like one of John Huston's middle-period films where he would restrict his palette to the range of some extra-cinematic visual art influence - people groaned when he decided that Moby Dick should look faded or Reflections in a Golden Eye should be printed in shades of gold and pink, but for some reason nobody objects to Lucas getting ILM to render sunlight as light brown in this movie. Everyone who opposes the CIA in this movie and TDK is worse than them, conveniently enough, and Aiden Gillen's monologue is especially piss-poor - it's embarrassing to think of one of the stars of Game of Thrones being best known for this bullshit.

>prejudice opinions thread
I really cannot understand this.

>Lucas and ILM on a batman movie
apply yourself

It'd be great if people were to write their own justifications rather than just turn mine into pasta.

This post. 18 words of ethically dishonest glorification of the OP, who approved the script. Produced and directed by a couple of captchas who seem a little dicey to me, starring Anonymous doing a bunch of gimmicks. The look is mostly ripped off from 2chan, but with more monotonous cinematography. The effect is like one of John Huston's middle-period films where he would restrict his palette to the range of some extra-cinematic visual art influence - people groaned when he decided that Moby Dick should look faded or Reflections in a Golden Eye should be printed in shades of gold and pink, but for some reason nobody objects to Hiro getting Sup Forums to render everything as light blue in this post. Everyone who opposes the opinion in OP's post and his follow-up posts is worse than them, conveniently enough, and his monologue is especially piss-poor - it's embarrassing to think of one of the stars of Sup Forums being best known for this bullshit.

I dont understand how people are flat out refusing to watch Godfather. Did your Dad never show you the film??

Why do you think being unable to produce original content is funny?

No, why would he do that? He would have to be a psychopath.

time to kill yourself leddit.

Schindler's List

Avatar. Three hours of ethically dishonest glorification of the Native Americans, who approved the script. Produced and directed by a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little gimmick and my mom got scared and said "You're stealing your look from Bertolucci." The effect is like one of a cabbie's middle-period drives where he would restrict his palette to the dice of some extra-cinematic fresh art influence - people thought that cab was rare when he decided that Beverly HIlls should look faded or Reflections in a Golden Eye should be printed in shades of gold and pink, but for some reason nobody objects to Uncle Phil getting Geoffrey to render mashed potatoes as light brown in this dinner. Everyone who opposes the gravy in this dinner and dessert is worse than them, conveniently enough, and Vivian's monologe is especially piss-poor - it's embarrassing to think of one of the stars of Carlton's Dance being best known for this bullshit.

recommending a film is a trait of a psychopath?
Eitherway, up to you. Watch it or don't, just don't have a prejudice opinion that would make you look like an imbecile.

how do you know so much about the godfather if you've never seen it?

Its genuinely worth watching for how real it feels, but if you can look at it on the other side of the coin and be a complete edgelord worshipping Ralph Fiennes' character

Why would I care if someone who doesn't know that 'prejudiced' is the possessive form of 'prejudice' thinks that I look like an imbecile?

Because, like everyone, I've seen bits of it, overheard others watching it, etc.

It's not that great anyway. A handful of good scenes separated by miles of boring mafia bullshit.

youre the one having the opinion before seeing the film. Im an imbecile for lack of education but youre an imbecile for choosing to be one

>Im an imbecile

Yes, thank you.

The only thing that bothers me about the Godfather movies is that Michael doesn't really struggle to accept his role in Part1 at all.
He goes from an outsider to his family's business to killing people left and right in a heartbeat and no personal struggle at all.

And in Part2 he's already a hardcore soulless person.

Just give it a chance my friend.

>Michael doesn't really struggle to accept his role in Part1 at all.
Yeah that's the point, he's eager to protect his father at first and in the process realizes what his true calling is.

Yeah, they're shit.

No, it's shit.

I was actually going to watch it last night but I'm just complete worn out by Nazi films.

It's good, but it's not as good as that Volvo ad with the M People song.

Top kek

He's a former soldier

Oh fuck off. This is who The Godfather is for, people who think soldier=butcher. Really makes you think.

Actually a good discussion point.
However, as I see it he accepted his role as he wanted to protect his loved ones no matter the cost. He does do what he does without hesitation though which I guess is the point you are trying to make. Afair, and correct me if I am wrong, he does seem to struggle with it in parts II and III in particular where he reforms it all to become completely legal.

For me this is a case of "it's not the what, it's the how".

It's crystal clear why things happen the way they do and the character and plot arcs are solid, but the first movie in particular would benefit more from a couple of scenes of Michael struggling with what he has to become to get the job done, yet we never really see that.
As soon as he has to, he becomes a killer with no hesitation at all. Essentially all his "doubt" is projected onto Kay, but she's a mere plot device.

And any residual struggle Michael may have is already long gone in the sequel where he's literally the devil.

It's because the movie is about vicarious enjoyment of psychopathic behavior, because it's produced and directed by cokehead creeps. Its success is a sad indictment of its time.

Never seen The Godfather movies either. I started the first one a while ago but got bored

it's hollywood, everything is produced and directed by cokehead psychopaths

how many humans have you killed?

Not so.

showbusiness will kill ya

I thought the same, then I read about the cat featured in the movie.
The cat alone made me watch it.

Sure thing, the cat lasted like 10 minutes at best, but I kept watching. Then I also watched the sequels.

I'm not saying they're among the best movies ever made, but I would have a really hard time naming better ones

You watched the sequels... to see if the cat would reappear?

I've never seen Godfather either (or Godfather 2 for that matter). I'm sure they're good, that many people saying they're good can't be wrong. But I get more enjoyment out of the reactions of people when I say I haven't seen them.

Grown men occasionally get offended.

>I'm not saying they're among the best movies ever made, but I would have a really hard time naming better ones

Would you like some recs?

I mean it would have been nice

But no, it was mostly because the first movie was too good not to watch the sequels

>I'm sure they're good, that many people saying they're good can't be wrong.

By this logic, the Juche ideology of North Korea must be good.

not him but yes

this is a true story
>out at friends house, meet a bitch
>we're talking about movies, somehow the godfather comes up and she mentions shes never seen them
>i loudly ask how is it possible you havent seen them theyre the goats etc
>she wants muh dick probably but since she's clearly a pleb i dont pursue

Now we must wait for any grown men to occasionally get offended.

Journey to Italy by Rossellini, Oriental Elegy by Sokurov, The Passion of Joan of Arc by Dreyer.

That's closer to art than movies m8.
I would put some Kubrick shit in there too

Maxpar

I think of all cinema as one artform. I just picked the first three random great films I could think of (though Sokurov's is a video, technically), if we were being comprehensive Kubrick would be in there.

t. thirsty samefag