Journeyman Actors That Pop Up Everywhere

Who are some journeyman, character and "that guy" actors that aren't big stars, but seem to show up in things you see all the time?

They can be good or bad actors. Just anyone whose name most people wouldn't know, but many recognize because they're in so many shows/movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ar6UGU_Pa4U
youtube.com/user/NoSmallPartsShow/videos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Giamatti#Filmography
youtube.com/watch?v=n725zX3zIk0
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/journeyman
msinthebiz.com/2016/05/11/journeyman-actor-becoming-obsolete/
imdb.com/name/nm2804791/
youtube.com/channel/UC7sg9FpMWMamzWE2lJPY-Dg
youtube.com/watch?v=eWirsPiHnA0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Zeljko Ivanek he was a recurring appearance in Homicide: Life on the Street and OZ

He was also in Damages, Heroes, 24 and shows up in a shit-ton of movies in generally small roles.

Speaking of Oz alumni, Kirk Acevedo probably fits.

Man, that shit where he coughs up his teeth was so damn fantastic and creepy.

Well meme'd

Zeljko is one of my favorite actors in the world, he is a consummate professional and I love his work

He plays a villain so well.

I'd say most people from Homicide qualify for this. They all did fairly well.

youtube.com/watch?v=ar6UGU_Pa4U

Homicide and Oz are both filled with people that showed up all over the place with successful acting careers. Band of Brothers too.

Everyone featured in this channel for those who do not know about it.

youtube.com/user/NoSmallPartsShow/videos

the entire cast of Sandy hook

I feel like Michael Gaston has been in every single television show from the past two decades but I've never seen him in a major role.

Basically the entire cast of HBO's "John Adams"

Tom Wilkinson, Stephen Dillane, Rufus Sewell, David Morse, Danny Huston, Zeljko Ivanek,

and even Paul Giamotti was a quintessential no-name "that guy" until he somehow got some starring roles and his name got out there.

It's called a fucking character actor, user, and get fucked about that "journeyman" shit.

You, like most of this board, are at the (20-ish) stage where you are just starting to recognize minor performers'/people's faces, and a wealth of information is presenting itself to you, so now you want to devote part of your brain toward cataloguing it. But "journeyman" implies a certain youth, extra-special irrelevance and amateurism which is wholly unbefitting the character actor that YOUR naive ass just started to notice in the culture six months ago. These types are better described as character actors, not being A-listers of course, but persistent facial/type memes in the culture. Which is what endears them to us; they're /there/, for all to see, and we can point them out whenever we want.

I said journeyman actors OR character actors. Or "that guy" actors. However the people see them.

And I used journeyman in the boxing sense more than the vocational sense. Journeyman boxers are veteran boxers that are talented enough, but not star fighters.

You got some issues man.

Wow look at this dumb guy.

The catastrophic youth, naivete and stupidity on display in this post, especially in its demonstrably wrong claims about Giomatti (sic)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Giamatti#Filmography

is an extreme example of the naivete of 20-22-ish year olds that I was referring to in the previous post .

Basically people of Sup Forums's common userbase age, esp. of the Sup Forums world, are making sense of culture and so dont have these-and-those people memorized just yet.

Giamatti had been an unattractive Buscemi-tier meme in the background for years, yes. But where he really shone as a lead for the first time was in Sideways. Not that this kid would know anything about that (or even if he did then he is to be double-scolded for being double-stupid for having known such), although this scene is cool as fuck:

youtube.com/watch?v=n725zX3zIk0

>i have no idea what journeyman means
>i better get mad about it

This guy was great in Fringe

It must be so weird to get recognized everywhere you go and have people say "oh heeeyyyy you're that one guy in ... that one movie. Right?"

>show takes place in england
>dutch angles everywhere
dropped

Three people wrong in a row, esp. the one with the directly wrong understanding of the definition of journeyman itself:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/journeyman

At this point, you will wrongfully reply "look at the definition". But this is just the point.

why is there some know-it-all smug dick in every thread on this god damn board. No one cares dude.

Brian Markinson. Dude's in everything.

Funnily enough I'm being the cunt lately ITT and I had a personal encounter of exaclty this type with John C. Reilly years ago.

In a way, that might be the best type of actor to be. You get enough work to make good money, but you don't have to deal with the excessive scrutiny of being a top star. You get recognized every once in a while, which is probably cool and otherwise you get to live your life while making around six figures if not more.

Geoffrey Lewis would top this thread if this were the 1970s/80s.

Agreed. You look at these guys IMDB and see 6 8 10 jobs a year, you know they're doing pretty good. Paid for acting, semi-famous, probably doing pretty well, treated pretty well, get to meet interesting people, go to good parties. Not a bad life at all.

You should really consider seeking professional help for your problems instead of embarrassing yourself with shitposts like this.

You can always count on this guy to show up...eventually.

>an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful
literally exactly what OP intended the word to mean

Not having to worry about paparazzi hiding in your trees and not having to go on every last talk show to shill your latest movie are other pluses.

Yeah usually a sherriff it seems like ... no idea what I've seen him in, but I've seen him at least half a dozen times

your 20~ish age is showing, together with your lack of knowledge of how the words actually play in show business culture.

The point is that although "journeyman" and "character" both describe lesser, not-quite-A-list stuff, (ugly), journeyman is specifically the stuff of grips, of craft services, as a /word/. Even the /character/ actor is connoted a certain respect by dint of facial recognition. This is what every detractor in this thread has failed to understand about the distinction among the words as they actually operate in present culture, and it's also why certain anons have been defensive.

For example, , that is obviously rhetorically what I invited you to check, by dictionary definition. The more pertinent industry meanings, I've detailed above.

I think we can all agree that William F-whatshisname is the Patron Saint of "that guy" actors everywhere.

Looked up "journeyman actor" cause of this dumb semantic debate

msinthebiz.com/2016/05/11/journeyman-actor-becoming-obsolete/

Apparently journeyman actors think it's a thing. I don't know this lady desu

imdb.com/name/nm2804791/

cool. Thanks for ruining the thread great job

If you needed to cast a villain on a TV show with a cheap budget in the 70s, this was the guy you called.

The level of pretentiousness you're showing makes you look like the ~20 year old here. Probably majoring in drams or film or some other liberal art that makes you more intelligent than everyone else. No one claimed to be using the word to the exact industry standards. The OP even specifically said they were using it in a general definition term like it's used for boxing. You're getting bogged down by semantics and missing the point. Because you want to sound smart.

Nice post. Funny how underagefags got their feelings hurt.

Or maybe that guy that played the villain in The Mask who seems to pop up randomly as a bad guy.

Seen him in so many things. Not a fucking clue what his name is.

Thats not what hes saying, he was merely stating that people calling 'Giamatti' a journeyman,or that guy actor is wrong, you only have that perception because youre too young.

He'll always be "Inman" from Lost to me.

Hey he's that guy from Carnivale with that really really deep voice.
He's alright

Good post.

Hispanic Edition™

I wasn't the one that called Paul Giamatti a journeyman. He's a step above that. I believe Zeljko Ivanek and Kirk Acevedo are good calls though.

Yeah but they're still technically correct.

It fits the dictionary definition so it isn't wrong.

Ya gotta eat a breakfast Margie.

isn't he the asshole cop in shawshank?

Clancy Brown. It always sticks with me because I've never met anyone named Clancy.

Right you are!

That guy that played Slipknot in Suicide Squad. He's the go-to for "generic and boring Native American" character.

This

Clancy Brown is the best Lex Luthor

>t. butthurt journeyman actor

>I live through entertainment and I shit on people who do not as much as I do
kys

John Hawkes has a shitload of noms for Martha Marcy May Marlene and Winter's Bone, never mind being a star on Deadwood. Hardly a journeyman.

Dude, that's Mr. Krabs

No, this is patrick.

>Oz alumni
Zeljko Ivanek, Kirk Acevedo, Christopher Melone, Bradly Darly Wong, David Zayas

That's fucking Kurgan

Toby Jones

fuuck

Holy fucking shit those cops were dicks.

time to kill yourself

>tfw he's the most famous actor from your country

he shows up in congo and from dusk till dawn

Isn't that Le Ebin Eat Shit shniff Ideology Man?

The last thing that we heard from him was that Soros is a good guy

I knew he was in Narcos as soon as they started pre-production

>Sir Bedivere? I'm Goosefat

I will leave this YT channel right here...

youtube.com/channel/UC7sg9FpMWMamzWE2lJPY-Dg

He makes a disturbingly good killer

youtube.com/watch?v=eWirsPiHnA0

"The enemy can not push a button... if you disable his hand. Medic!"

I always get him confused with Michael Ironside.

Brilliant in Prison Break (even after it got weird)

The TV series he was in was pretty fun. It was supposed to be a lot more violent, but in the commentaries the show's creator talks a lot about struggling with the producers over a shitload of things for the entire run.