Did anybody else see this movie? What did you think about it?

Did anybody else see this movie? What did you think about it?

No, no-one else saw it

black phillip for president!

I saw it last year and thought it was a wonderful film. Very atmospheric, great performances and a genuinely unsettling mood.

I VVill VVatch it again this VVeekend. The goat was very kind.

I can't fault it at all other than to say that i wish the actual magical stuff kicked off sooner.

Really like it, a large part of that is the aesthetic of it and the lead but any modern horror that is somewhat different and well made is automatically in my good books.
First blu ray I've bought in ages

Still my favorite movie of the year

Boring shit for "I LE DON'T LIKE JUMP SCARES XD" crowd.

I thought it was very good, though the real horror seemed to be the daily struggle of pilgrim life before anything supernatural even enters the equation. Made me very happy to not be an early settler of this country.

I finally felt I've seen a good new horror film. People kept praising The Babadook and It Follows which both have mediocre to bad scripts. If I was one of the people involved in making babadook or it follows and then saw the witch I'd look back at my script and be embarrassed.

Also, many people seem to complain about the ending, but even that had such a great feeling of a classic horror film that gives the audience a clear answer without revealing everything. Compared to most recent horror trends where ambiguous=good (that's what they think), it was a breath of fresh air.

Seeing [spoilers] Black Phillip's transformation [/spoilers] was one of the most effective and satisfying scenes I've watched recently.

Sorry, senpai. I'm a /trv/fag. Don't come over to Sup Forums too often. Didn't know if you people were big into it or not.

I've been thinking about it off and on since I saw it in theaters. Going to pirate it once I get back to the United States next Wednesday.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of The Babadook. It had its unsettling moments, but I wasn't blown away by any means.

What do you mean by a clear answer without revealing everything? Unless you're referring to Black Phillip's transformation I don't think there was much of an "answer" in Thomasin becoming a witch

Also, I only actually saw that Black Phillip had tranformed when I watched it on blu ray. Streamed it on Google Play the first time (HD quality is shameful) and it was too dark...

What i mean is we're given the 'facts' but no explanation as to how or why things are happening, that's only implied nicely. Her becoming a witch was great because it was the logical conclusion to the story. It made me wonder how the other women ended up there, what kinds of traumas they went through before having to submit to Black Phillip since that was their only choice besides death in the wilderness.

Yeah I feel the same way about it. Was a great final scene

Really enjoyed it, didn't find it 'scary' but it was very unnerving and kept you engaged, which is how I think horror should be done.

I normally don't watch horror because of constant cheap jump scares that just annoy me, but if I remember correctly this didn't have a single one.

Plus it was a neat idea, especially with the accents.

None of my family seemed very impressed with it, though, but they're the kind of people who enjoyed Paranormal Activity 32 and 33.

I think the reason the script works so well is that it really accepts the world it sets the story in.

If you took just the family drama part of it, you could place it in a contemporary setting and it would still work with some tweaks. But it's great that the script takes these people's belief in God and the Devil, sin and repercussions into account and that the main throughline for the entire thing is various members of the family feeling or thinking that they have sinned and they deserve punishment.

Ironic that the dad makes the biggest mistake, sin-wise are real life-wise (too proud to accept he can't survive on his own), but he's the last one to really accept that he has doomed his family (in fact, Black Phillip has to intervene 'personally' to get him out of the way).

Watched this last month and I spent the entire movie repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

I fucking hated it. I was writhing around on the floor in front of my sofa for the last 30 minutes it was so painful.

>Ayy grimdark jailbait oldey-time talking people lmao
If you liked it you're in the wrong place

My only gripe about it was that I had to watch it in subtites, dialogue was very quiet and mumbly plus with the accents and old-timey vocabulary, also random SCREECH horror music which prevented me from just upping the volume.

Maybe you should take a break from this place.

Garbage that wastes all character development in favour of a retarded "twist" that anyone can smell a mile away 40 minutes into the movie.

It was ok honestly,good story and actors.
It seems anything A24 does turns out good.